Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Hover Foxes by Metallic Dragon

Based on Click to view
Artist Metallic Dragon [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour
Drawing sessions 2
24 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Hover Foxes

Postby Metallic Dragon » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:59 am

A genetics-based adoptable RPG

Hover Foxes are small, flying foxes with big personality. Originally hailing from Northern Europe, these foxes were highly sought after for their furs and feathers. Starting in the 1700s, many were captured and brought into the fur trade as traders sought to breed more desirable colors and markings. As years passed, wild-type foxes began to be more scarce and many worried that the fur trade would bring hover foxes to extinction. By the late 1900s, activists fought for and won protections for wild hover foxes and by the early 2000s many fur traders phased the foxes out of their programs.
Pet breeders picked up the phased out foxes and began breeding for friendly temperaments and trainability. Many foxes today are used for hunting small game(rabbits, quail, etc) and as environmentally friendly pest control. Others are bred for shows and sports, and still others enjoy a lifestyle of simple companionship.

Metallic Dragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Rules and Regulations

Oh hello! I see you've come to join the wide world of hover foxes! Are you here for pets? Hoping to enter the show ring? Maybe you're into breeding for fancy new foxes or just want to better the species? Regardless of your interests, we do have some pretty important rules that all of our fox handlers must follow if they're to remain here among the community!

1. Civility is key. Be a good sport or don't play the game!
    2. Art theft isn't cool. We won't tolerate any sort of theft around here!
    3. Be patient! Raising foxes is quite an undertaking and we're doing our best to keep up!
    4. We don't have any tolerance for whining, begging, or guilt-tripping!
    5. Free Foxes can be traded, bred genomes can be sold for C$ or pets. You may not re-sell foxes you previously bought for more than you paid for them.
    6. If you're banned from the species, you may keep or rehome your foxes, but you may not interact with the community any further.
    7. Bullying will not be tolerated in any form. We are an inclusive group of people and will not allow handlers to mistreat one another.

Alright, you got all that? Good. Please submit your application for a handler's permit over there on my desk. The "In" box mind you, if you put it in the "Out" box you'll be waiting much longer for that permit you're after!
Metallic Dragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Understanding Genotypes and Phenotypes

Understanding your Genotype:

Every fox adopted or bred through hover fox adoptions comes with a genetic code called a genome. This genome will look something like this:
AA/BB/MM/Uu/Titi/Bsbs/BaBa/Sasa
For now it looks like just a jumble of letters, but each set of letters translates to traits your fox carries! This specific genome is actually that of our mascot!
Let's look at each locus of our genome and figure out the phenotype of our fox!

The first two loci on every genome relates to the base coat of your fox!
AA/BB
The A's relate to the red expression of the coat, while the B's relate to the silver expression of the coat. This specific fox will have a red coat because when both alleles are dominant, the red allele expresses first. There are no dilution genes in this genome, so the red will express normally. Silver is only expressed when at least one of its alleles is recessive(homozygous recessive or heterozygous) or if the red is heterozygous or homozygous recessive.

Let's look at the next group of loci.

MM
The first marking our fox has is Mask. This marking adds a black mask around the eyes and occasionally down the muzzle, some black striping on the wings, and the dark legs visible on most foxes. This is one of the most common markings and is very seldom absent in a genome. The only time it is not visible is when both alleles are recessive.

Uu
Our next marking is Unders. This marking gives our fox a white or cream belly, muzzle, and throat and can sometimes extend to the flight feathers on the wings and tail and the outer crest feathers. This marking is also extremely common and very seldom absent in a genome. Similar to mask, this marking is only not visible when both alleles are recessive.

Titi
Next we have ticking. This marking consists of dark speckles scattered across the fox's coat and sometimes wings. This marking is uncommon.

Bsbs
Then we have the marking Brows which presents as white or cream markings above the eyes much like a husky. This marking is also uncommon.

Baba
Our fox also has Barring. This marking presents only on the wings and is visible as dark bars on the flight feathers and inner feathers of the wing. This marking is common in nature.

Sasa
Finally, our fox has Sable. This is a fairly common marking in red based foxes that presents as dark-tipped fur spreading outward from the spine that can extend down over the shoulders, hips, and sides.

Understanding your Phenotype:

Now that we have looked more closely at our genotype, the phenotype should be fairly easily understood. A phenotype is simply the genotype written out. This fox's phenotype is:
Sable masked red with unders, ticking, brows, and barring

Now take a look at our mascot. Can you see all of these genes present?

Not all foxes will have so many genes. Some may have extra genes that are present in homozygous recessive form and therefore not visible, but passable during breeding. If you're still confused or have questions about your fox's genetics, don't hesitate to ask
Metallic Dragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Coats, Markings, Dilutions, and Mutations

Base Coats:

Hover Foxes can have one of three base coats. Which they have depends on their genome.

Red (AA/BB) - When in homozygous dominant condition, red should always be expressed unless combined with homozygous recessive silver. When in homozygous recessive condition, no red should be expressed. Reds in this range are generally orange-reds and can be quite bright.

Silver (AA/bb, Aa/bb, aa/bb, aa/BB, aa/Bb) - When in homozygous dominant condition, no silver should be expressed unless combined with homozygous recessive red. When in homozygous recessive condition, silver is always expressed. Silver foxes often have silver tips on their fur(similar in range to sable) but may also appear brownish-tinted black or simply black with no silvering present. The amount of silvering often depends on the parents.

Standard Cross (AA/Bb, Aa/Bb, Aa/BB) - Heterozygous silver can be partially expressed alongside homozygous red, resulting in Cross. When both Silver and Red alleles are heterozygous, they combine to create Cross. The reds expressed in cross foxes tend to be somewhat deeper in color than the more orange-reds of the red base. The amount of red or silver expressed on the coat is dependent upon the parents and alleles involved(eg. AA/Bb would contain more silver, Aa/Bb would contain equal amounts of red and silver, Aa/BB would contain more red)

Dilution Genes:

These genes dilute the base coat and markings depending on the genes expressed(subject to additional ranges in the future)

Pearl (pp) - Causes black fur to turn grey

Burgundy (gg) - Causes black fur to turn reddish

Amber (gg/pp) - Causes black fur to turn reddish grey, combination of pearl and burgundy. Lightly dilutes the red in cross foxes and most reds will fall on the lighter end of the red spectrum

Fire Factor (ff)- Causes red fur to turn pale orange or shades of yellow, only visible in red or cross based foxes. -UNCOMMON

Platinum (Pwpw, PwPw) - Adds white and dilutes/lightens the entire coat. Homozygous dominant genes can result in blindness and infertility - UNCOMMON

Browning (Brbr, BrBr) - Causes black fur to turn brown. Brbr presents as more yellow shades of brown, BrBr results in fur ranging from pale brown to dark chocolate, can result in blue-ish tinted foxes when combined with pearl.

Colicott (gFgF) - Causes black fur to turn reddish brown

Radium(Special) (rr) - Lightens the silver base and adds white guard hairs evenly distributed over the body - VERY RARE

Markings:

Hover Foxes can have a wide range of markings associated with their genome. These are described below alongside their symbol and rarity, click on their name to see a visual of each marking's range! Remember that these images are just the range in which the markings can be found, not necessarily the appearance of the markings themselves! When markings are said to be "dark, or darker" they should be a darker shade of the base coat and may fall outside of the given ranges as long as they are not oversaturated or unnatural-looking.

Required Markings:

Minimum White - Not associated with a specific allele, all foxes have a white or cream tip on their tail. This may be covered up in melanistic foxes, but should be visible on all others.

Extremely Common Markings:

Mask (MM, Mm) - Presents as black markings on the muzzle, eyes, face, wings, and legs

[url=link]Points (PoPo,Popo)[/url] - Presents as dark markings on the face, wing tips, and legs

Unders (UU, Uu) - Presents as white/cream markings on muzzle, neck, and belly, as well as the primary feathers on the wings and tail at maximum

Smokey Unders (SuSu, Susu) - Presents as black markings on the muzzle, neck, and belly, as well as the primary feathers on the wings and tail at maximum. Can present at the same time as unders, in which case both must be visible.

[url=link]Toning (CC, Cc)[/url] - These are lighter, hard-edged markings that run along the bottom half of your fox. They are most often a lighter shade of the base coat and natural looking in appearance. They must show more than unders when both are present.

Common Markings:

Collared (CoCo, Coco) - Presents as white/cream covering 50-100% of the neck

Dorsal (DsDs, Dsds) - Presents as a line of darker fur that extends down the back and along the tail, following the dorsal line. Always shows above other back markings and should be darker than saddle or blanket.

Sable (SaSa, Sasa) - Presents as dark tipped fur most often extending from the spine and down the sides. Always has blurred edges

Saddle (SS, Ss) - Presents as a dark colored patch that extends from the shoulders to the hips. May be solid or broken. Edges should not be blurred in appearance

Blanket (BlBl, Blbl) - Presents as a dark colored marking that extends across the back from the nose to the tail. Must be lighter than saddle if both are present. Edges should not be blurred in appearance

Barred (BaBa, Baba) - Dark colored bars on the wings, visible on the lateral side of the wing and on the primaries and secondaries of the dorsal side of the wings.

Tipped (TpTp, Tptp) - White tips on all feathers

Uncommon Markings:

Dipped (TT, Tt - Presents as an extended white/cream tip on the tail

Brows (BsBs, Bsbs) - Presents as patches of color or white above the eyes, much like a husky

Ticking (TiTi, Titi) - Presents as very small, dark speckles of one color mixed in with the coat color. Not to be confused with Dalmatian which falls in the same range but contains larger spots.

Tuxedo (TuTu, Tutu) - White marking on the chin, front paws, and in a patch on the chest

Rare Markings:

Whitemark (Ww, WW) - White markings appear on muzzle and paws, heterochromia can occur with this marking. Homozygous dominant genes can result in blindness and infertility

Dalmatian (DD, Dd) - Presents as dark spots extending from head to tail. Not to be confused with ticking which consists of tiny speckles rather than spots. Falls in the same range as ticking.

Brindling (DnDn, Dndn) - Presents as striping black markings mixed in with the base coat color

Very Rare Markings:

Vitiligo (VV, Vv) - Produces a white, spotted effect within the normal coat

Georgian (NN, Nn) - Most of the body is white with patches of base coat color along the back, on muzzle, face, wings, and legs

Marbling (Mwmw, MwMw) - Mostly white body with color being restricted to the wings, head, and sometimes sorsal stripe or saddle, as well as markings on the tail and spots on the legs at maximum. Homozygous dominant genes can result in blindness and infertility

Special Markings:

Opal (oo) - White brindling in addition to large white markings on the body.

Mutations:

Achromia/Albinism - Can occur rarely in any breeding and results in complete loss of melanin, gives the affected fox pale skin and pink or pale blue eyes

Melanism - Hyperpigmentation results in fully black foxes, some markings may appear as "shadows" on the fur

Leucism - Can occur rarely in any breeding and results in partial or total loss of multiple pigments. Generally do not have blue or pink eyes

Snow Nose - A rare genetic mutation associated with recessive red genes that result in pale skin on the nose

Piebaldism - Can occur in any breeding, results in white spots or irregular white patterns on their fur which can be limited to just the feet or can extend and cover up to 50% of the fox's body

Eye Colors:

Eyes may be any natural color found in red foxes. Shades of red/pink are reserved for achromatic foxes.
Metallic Dragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Activities Booth [Minimum Stats needed: 0]

Oh hello! I see you've got a fox there! Are you looking to raise it right? We've got some great activities you can do with your foxes to increase their stats so they're all trained up and ready for whatever task you need them to do! Some activities might even result in your foxes bringing back some fancy trinkets and helpful companions!
What are you waiting for? Go take a gander at the things you can do and start training up those foxes!

Foxes are born with varying amounts of several different stats: Vitality, Cunning, Speed, Courage, Beauty, and Fertility.
    Vitality is how strong your fox is. Foxes with high vitality are great hunters and explorers as they are able to shake off most damage and pick themselves up quickly.
    Cunning is how smart your fox is. Foxes with high levels of cunning are wonderful at service or companionship work. They also do well at hunting and capturing companions without harming them.
    Speed is how fast your fox is. Foxes with high speed excel in racing and other sports work. They are often strong swimmers and tend to do quite well at fishing.
    Courage is how flighty a fox is. Foxes with high courage are more likely to stand their ground in a fight while exploring or hunting and tend to be sound animals for companionship work.
    Beauty is how healthy your fox looks. Foxes with high beauty do extremely well in show rings and are more likely to pass certain rare traits when bred.
    Fertility is how easily your fox can be bred. Foxes with high fertility are easily bred, have larger litters, and have more breeding slots available throughout their lifespan.

These stats can be increased with proper training and give your foxes an edge when it comes to participating in challenges or finding mates. The Activities booth is a great place to come if you'd like to train your foxes! Certain stats lend better to certain activities and can be gained from exploring or hunting in different areas. These stats, once increased to certain levels, allow you to breed and show your foxes. Not interested in shows or breeding? Train your foxes to hunt or for companionship work and earn currency or capture companions to help your foxes to be their best selves! Multiple foxes may participate in each activity and all will have the opportunity to gain stats from participating!

Hunting:

Complete hunting tasks by either drawing a scene or writing a short story showing your fox hunting different types of prey. Different prey animals have a chance of giving your fox different stats! Stats may be increased by 1-5 and will be randomly rolled. Sometimes your fox may also capture small companions if their cunning is high enough! Occasionally injuries may also occur. These can be healed in the vet's booth or with healing items.

Requirements:
    Scene- must contain a simple background showing where the fox is. 75% of the fox must be visible in the image. The prey animal must either be visible or there must be enough clues in the image to know what type of animal is being hunted. No blood or gore may be visible in the image.
    Story- Minimum of 1000 words. Fox and handler must be present in the story, prey animal must be made clear. No detailed descriptions of blood or gore may be present.

Prey Animals:
    Voles/mice/rats
    Squirrels
    Hares/Rabbits
    Groundhogs/gophers
    Stoats/weasels
    Bugs(beetles, butterflies, grasshoppers, worms, etc)
    --------- All Above critters can increase Cunning

Red/roe/muntjak/chinese water deer calves
    European Badger
    Porcupine
    --------- All above critters can increase Vitality, Speed, and Courage

Otters
    Opposum
    Birds(ducks, pheasants etc)
    ---------All above critters can increase Speed and Cunning

Fishing:

Complete fishing tasks by either drawing a scene or writing a short story showing your fox fishing. Different types of prey animals have a chance of giving your fox different stats! Stats may be increased by 1-5 and will be randomly rolled. Sometimes your fox may also find trinkets in the water! Occasionally injuries may also occur. These can be healed in the vet's booth or with healing items.

Requirements:
    Scene- must contain a simple background showing where the fox is fishing. 75% of the fox must be visible in the image. No blood or gore may be visible in the image.
    Story- Minimum of 1000 words. Fox and handler must be present in the story. No detailed descriptions of blood or gore may be present.

Prey Animals:
    Water snakes
    Frogs
    Turtles
    Toads
    Salamandars
    Newts
    --------- All Above critters can increase Beauty and Cunning

Fish
    Crabs
    Shellfish
    --------- All above critters can increase Speed and Fertility

Foraging/Scavenging:

Complete foraging or scavenging tasks by either drawing a scene or writing a short story showing your fox foraging/scavenging. Different types of foraged goodies have a chance of giving your fox different stats! Stats may be increased by 1-5 and will be randomly rolled. Sometimes your fox may also find small companions or trinkets! Occasionally injuries may also occur. These can be healed in the vet's booth or with healing items.

Requirements:
    Scene- must contain a simple background showing where the fox is foraging/scavenging. 75% of the fox must be visible in the image. No blood or gore may be visible in the image.
    Story- Minimum of 1000 words. Fox and handler must be present in the story. No detailed descriptions of blood or gore may be present.

Goodies:
    Bird eggs
    Trash bins
    Road kill/carrion
    --------- All Above critters can increase Cunning and Courage

Berries
    Fruits
    Vegetables
    Nuts
    Tubers
    --------- All above critters can increase Beauty and Fertility

Exploration:

Complete explorations by either drawing a scene or writing a short story showing your fox exploring. Different areas have a chance of giving your fox different stats! Stats may be increased by 1-5 and will be randomly rolled. Sometimes your fox may also find small companions or trinkets! Occasionally injuries may also occur. These can be healed in the vet's booth or with healing items.

Areas to explore:
    Tunnels- Cunning
    Caves- Courage
    Forests- Speed
    Cities- Vitality
    Fields- Beauty
    Mountains- Fertility
Metallic Dragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Shows [Minimum Stats needed: 20]

Postby Metallic Dragon » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:00 am

So you've raised up a fox and now you're ready to head to the show ring! That's fantastic! Pick an event and jump right in! Your foxes will have fun and you might even earn some hefty prize money!

Welcome to the show ring! This is a place for your foxes to participate in different sports and conformation in order to win ribbons and tokens! Shows take place bi-weekly and entry requires nothing more than a minimum of 20 in the required stat/s listed on the event and a quick application form submitted at the show ring. Foxes will be placed in categories based on their stats and winners will be randomly rolled. Prizes will be listed at the time the the call for entrants is opened and will be awarded immediately after the show ends.

Agility:
Preferred stats- Speed, cunning
No shows currently planned

Racing:
Preferred stats- Speed, Vitality

Tracking:
Preferred stats- Cunning, Courage

Conformation:
Preferred stats- Beauty, Courage