Based on Click to view
Artist Verdana [gallery]
Time spent 10 hours, 13 minutes
Drawing sessions 15
16 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Glowy mushroom friesiany horses

Postby Verdana » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:29 am

Sorry for the terrible name; didn't know what to call these.

Backstory: an eccentric multi-billionaire decided that friesians were lacking in colour. He wanted to keep the build and temperament of a friesian, but with the white markings of other horses. And he wanted results within ten years. The horse-breeding community would have nothing to do with this, but a man named Dr Arden, a disgraced genetic engineer, decided to take on the challenge. But Arden was disgraced for a reason; his mad ideas and strange splices had been dubbed 'crimes against nature'. He set about isolating the correct genetic code for chrome (white markings) and placing it on friesian horses. The first batch of foals showed nothing. The friesian gene was too dominant. The billionaire threatened to cut off Arden's funding.

So Arden got creative.

The foals that emerged were glorious; pitch black, curly-maned, and with the most exciting white markings the billionaire had ever seen. They had spots and stripes and swirls and dashes; dapples like baby deer and rosettes like panthers. They were quite extraordinary. And, for a while, all was well.

Until the billionaire came to visit his foals one evening with a friend. And realised that their white markings glowed in the dark. He was furious, of course, but Arden soon smoothed things over, calling it a temporary measure, which would fade with age. Only, it didn't. It got brighter. And the foals grew strange but beautiful netting, under their forelegs and over their curly tails. At this point, the billionaire insisted on seeing Arden's methods. He had spliced glowing fungus genes onto horses, in the hopes of producing 'flashier' markings. The billionaire was appalled, and called for an end to the project. Arden agreed, and left.

Only, there have been strange friesian foals cropping up on the market lately, all with flashy white markings.
Verdana

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Etruvian War Horses

Postby Merlin's Heir » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:08 am

It's looking really great! So glad you were able to enter. :)

Manes... Well, I rather prefer that it does have a mane, but as for the style or length, I'm open to anything.
Merlin -- Adult Female -- Byzantine Catholic -- Engaged <3 -- Reader, Writer, Artist, Math Lover -- College Class of 2021 -- Tolkien
Adopted Characters wrote:ImageImageImageImageImage
New Camelot -- The Book of Equids -- Dark Frigate -- Sunrose Stables -- Aicale Castle
ImageImageImageImage
Edge of Eternity -- Mythos Stables -- Sky Afire -- Wind River Ranch
Merlin's Heir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Verdana » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:33 pm

Thanks Merlin!

I still have to shade and highlight the mane and tail, but I've posted it up so you can sort of see what it would look like.
Verdana

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Merlin's Heir » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:26 am

I'm very sorry to hear that you're withdrawing, though I can completely understand why. It's very hard not to get attached to the ideas we come up with, especially when they're as good as this one. :)
Thanks for entering, anyway. And if you end up making an adoptable out of these, I'll look forward to being their #1 fan.
Merlin -- Adult Female -- Byzantine Catholic -- Engaged <3 -- Reader, Writer, Artist, Math Lover -- College Class of 2021 -- Tolkien
New Camelot -- The Book of Equids -- Dark Frigate -- Sunrose Stables -- Aicale Castle
ImageImageImageImage
Merlin's Heir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Glowy mushroom friesiany horses

Postby Verdana » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:38 am

New concept up. Please let me know what you think! Still a WIP
Verdana

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Merlin's Heir » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:47 am

Very neat. I really like it. :)
ImageImageImageImage
Merlin's Heir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Verdana » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:43 pm

Updated with body shading (mane and tail shading, and highlights, to come) and some possible patterns: Peacock discs, jaguar, regular chrome (white markings on horses) and ticking - a broken white stripe. In the light peacock discs just look like fat white spots, and you can only see the white on jaguar. Colour only shows up in the dark.
Verdana

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Merlin's Heir » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:36 pm

Wow, this is beautiful, Verdana! I absolutely love the creative twist you've added to these lovely creatures. Simply gorgeous. And the new markings, with their glow-in-the-dark side... just so awesome. :D Fantastic.
ImageImageImageImage
Merlin's Heir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Verdana » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:19 am

Shading and highlights are now done. I tried a new style of highlighting (I hope it's okay). If there's anything you don't like or want changed, please let me know.
Verdana

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Merlin's Heir » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:15 am

Wow, it looks fantastic! This style of highlighting really works well for this species. :) It all looks amazing.
ImageImageImageImage
Merlin's Heir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me