CAAA Character Development Challenge 2015! Work on Goal 2!

If you need to make more than one topic for your adoptables, you can put the extra topics in here. Please read stickies for more information

CAAA Character Development Challenge 2015! Work on Goal 2!

Postby Wesley » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:47 am

Hello everyone! Solanum and I have noticed that many of you have made the resolution to develop your characters more in this upcoming year! The 2 of us have put together a few variations of our original 2013 Character Challenge that you are welcome to participate in. I'd love if you all could join us! If you'd like to join our competition, please select the variation below that appeals to you most!
[art by Apple]

Variation Number One: Eager Authors
Targeted Audience: For those with a number of characters that is manageable, and for those who are eloquent writers or write frequently.
Objective: Your objective is to write at least one 1,000 word piece for each of your characters. This piece can be a very lengthy personality, an overview of their background/history, a story based on a song, a clip from one of their life experiences, or anything else you find muse to write. Each of your OCs should have a piece.

Variation Number Two: Artists
Targeted Audience: For those who prefer to draw instead of writing, and for those who wish to improve or further develop their art style. (Can own any amount of characters, but challenging numbers are most fun)
Objective: Your objective is to draw one fullbody piece for each of your characters. You may choose whether or not it has a background or is shaded and whether it is digital or traditional, but each OC should have one fullbody piece. For those who are very ambitious or have a small number of characters, you may wish to do one fullbody and one headshot of each character. If you use other mediums aside from traditional pencil and paper or digital art, you're welcome to use your art style for this challenge instead! If you are incapable of drawing a species of one of your characters (ie. you're a canine artist with a few human characters) you may write for these characters instead of drawing them, but they must still be completed!

Variation Number Three: Beginning Authors
Targeted Audience: For those who wish to develop their character's personalities and histories more but have limited writing skill, and for those who have little time to work on the challenge but plenty of ideas for their characters.
Objective: Your objective is to write at least one 300-500 word piece for each of your characters. You may go above this limit if you wish, but you may not go below. The piece may be a detailed personality, a song narrative, a background overview, or anything of the sorts. When you are finished, each of your characters should have one piece of writing no less than 300 words.

Variation Number Four: Character Hoarders
Targeted Audience: For those who wish to develop their characters more but have an abounding overflow of characters, particularly those with 100-400 characters.
Objective: Your objective is to write a detailed personality for each of your characters. They should be well-developed and not one-sided (for example, an always nice Mary Sue). Your personalities should be at least 100 words, though you are welcome to do more. Those who are more ambitious can write personalities for all of their characters in addition to writing a detailed, developed story or piece of writing for each of their fursonas and main characters.

Things you may wish to note:
    • In the original character development challenge, Solanum and I had planned to give away, sell, or trade all of the characters we did not complete by the end of the year. If your goal is to cut down your amount of characters/undeveloped characters, you may wish to challenge yourself to finish your variation by December 31, 2015 or get rid of any characters you don't finish by then. This, however, is optional.

• Different people work at different paces, and that means that all of you will be at all sorts of stages! Solanum and I will track your progress and set up a goal-and-reward system to encourage you all to keep going!

Here are some basic rules for the thread:
    1. You're encouraged to post your progress! However, please do not double post and only post after multiple pieces are finished, not after each and every one.

2. Do not post full stories on the thread. Instead, link them and encourage users to read. You may also ask for critique!

3. Only post 5-6 images in each post. This will likely be a slower moving thread than the CAAA, so big posts full of images would clog the pages.

Here are the rules for the challenge:
    1. All writing must be new. If you, for example, have already written your character's personality and you are doing the character hoarders challenge, you must write something different for them (a short piece based on a song, an interaction with another character to display their personality, or re-word/re-write their personality, etc.)

2. All drawings must be new. Your art must be fully custom... no coloring in your own linearts and if you've already drawn your character before the challenge started, draw them again! c:

3. Post a warning if your art or story includes nudity, gore, graphic scenes, violence, drug use, or excessive profanity. You're welcome to use these things in your story or art, but be mindful of what you link on CS!

Want to join us? Just fill out this form! Make sure you don't lose the codeword at the bottom! You might be missed, and then you won't be added to the members list :(
Code: Select all
Username:
How many characters do you have?:
Which variation of the character challenge will you be doing?:
Link to the thread, website, sta.sh, etc. where you will be keeping your progress:
Will you be getting rid of the characters you don't complete by the end of 2015?: (Yes / No / I will try to get rid of them if I don't connect with them!)
Anything else:
[size=1]signmeupforthechallenge[/size]

[by A i]
Last edited by Wesley on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:31 am, edited 8 times in total.
Wesley
she/they genderqueer demisexual lesbian

ART FIGHT || FLIGHT RISING

Hello, my name is Wesley & I have a Juris Doctor!
I collect crystals/minerals, Build a Bears, & stickers.
I am also interested in dinosaurs, Glass Animals, Animal Crossing, Pokemon,
various anime shows, magic, and writing/character collecting!
My birthday is August 8th!
I'm a non-theistic eclectic witch. ♥

Image Image Image Image

Art to left by lemonlotte
Wesley

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Goals

Postby Wesley » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:52 am

Can't figure out your percentage? Take the number of completed characters and divide it by your total character amount.
For example, 15 / 130 = .1153
Move the decimal to the right two spaces. (If you've done 15 out of 130 characters, you've completed about 11.5% of the challenge)

Hello there! You look like you're here for a prize! Well, step right up then! Solanum thought it would be nice if we motivated you guys to work on the challenge by setting goals and giving you prizes for meeting them! Throughout the competition, we may also give you additional challenges. For example, a challenge to complete x amount of characters by a certain date, or a challenge to do one of your writing or art pieces based on a certain song or theme. Completing these additional challenges can also get you prizes! Here are the goals we have set for our participants, now that everyone is just starting out!

Eager Authors
ImageYour first goal is to complete 10% of your 1,000 story pieces. It is likely that this may take some time, depending on the amount of time you can put in and the number of characters that you have. Try your best to complete your goal, and if you get stuck, feel free to ask for help. You have plenty of time to reach your goal!

Artists
ImageImageThose with below 50 characters, your first goal is to complete 15% of your characters' fullbody art pieces. For those with 50 characters, that's about seven fullbodies. For those with 25, that's 4. Those with above 50 characters, your goal is to complete 10% of your characters' fullbodies. For those with 100 characters, that's 10 fullbodies you'll need to complete! Artist block? Ask on the Chatzy room for some pose ideas or take some free/request warmup sketches from CAAA members!

Beginning Authors
ImageYour first goal is to complete 8-10% of your 300-500 word writing pieces. For those with 100 characters, that will be 8-10 writing pieces. For those with 50, that'll be 4-5 writing pieces. Remember, slow and steady wins the race. Try your best to complete your goal, and don't be afraid to ask other members for help!

Character Hoarders
ImageYour first goal is to complete 8-10% of your characters' personalities. Remember that this will probably take a while for those with many characters! Don't be discouraged, though! 100 word personalities are something you can easily knock out <3

Anyone who completes their goal will receive a TICKET. This ticket can be used in an art raffle that will be held for those who reach the goal by the expiration date.

These are the expiration dates for each goal:
1st goal - 10% of your characters - 1 month (February 1, 2015)
2nd goal - 25% of your characters - 2 months (April 1, 2015)
3rd goal - 50% of your characters - 3 months (July 1, 2015)
4th goal - 75% of your characters - 3 months (October 1, 2015)
5th goal - 90% of your characters - 2 months (December 1, 2015)
6th goal - 100% of your characters - Approx 1 month (December 27, 2015-January 1, 2016 depending on when you started)

Completed 1st goal:
~Red Panda~
hiperyon
Sixbane
Lioness626
Whisky
Shiverice
♡ Nyra ♡
Rithrym
TheSongOfTheStars
Nix Jazz Tempesedo
ȶigressa
Eleya
NARANDA
RavenclawHobbit
RavenclawHobbit (x2)
DragonLoverHere
.chamomile.
InZaynelyRexxed
ki-neko animura
backseatpanda
street soldier.
Rexodus
Last edited by Wesley on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:31 am, edited 7 times in total.
Wesley

Image Image Image Image

Wesley

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Tracking

Postby Solanum » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:49 am

You can ignore most of this post, it's really so that we can track who is doing what, and stage they are at. If your name has a (*) next to it, that only means you're signed up for combined variations.

Variation Number One: Eager Authors
    .chamomile. (*)
    Byteme
    checkered.
    dannys77 (*)
    ego. (*)
    FoxerOwl
    Glass
    Gwanu (*)
    Heiddegger
    huskybaer (*)
    Ittam
    master of nightmares
    Nix Tempesedo
    PyroSkeletor
    rhythm.
    riptide ; (*)
    Sathalina
    Solanum
    SunsetPatches
    TheSongOfTheStars (*)
    The Wolfe

-----

Variation Number Two: Artists
    .chamomile. (*)
    ~Red Panda~
    ○~Discover~○ (*)
    Akami-chan (*)
    Backseatpanda (*)
    boxxes
    CityLights. (*)
    conquest;
    Discordia (*)
    Ditzy Derp
    Gwanu (*)
    hiperyon
    huskybaer (*)
    impossible;;
    insedovah
    Kaden (*)
    Kazoo (*)
    Kestrel.
    ki-neko animura
    Larkspur (*)
    lilypawthegreat (*)
    Lioness626 (*)
    Logan. (*)
    Lunarblaze12
    mong
    peachcream (*)
    Prince Virus (*)
    RavenclawHobbit (*)
    RenaiRoa (*)
    riptide ; (*)
    Rithyrm
    Sailordoge
    Shiizuuma
    Shiverice
    Sixbane
    Tawk (*)
    TheSongOfTheStars (*)
    Whisky
    zoecatz1

-----

Variation Number Three: Beginning Authors
    ○~Discover~○ (*)
    Akami-chan (*)
    Backseatpanda (*)
    CityLights. (*)
    Discordia (*)
    Ebonpyre
    fαℓℓιиg яαιи
    ilhdc7
    Kazoo (*)
    Larkspur (*)
    lilypawthegreat (*)
    Logan. (*)
    peachcream (*)
    Red weasel
    RenaiRoa (*)
    Shenan_the_cat
    Twisted_Swallow
    xPerceiveTheTruthx

-----

Variation Number Four: Character Hoarders
    Ardra
    Champion.
    dannys77 (*)
    DragonLoverHere
    ego. (*)
    Eleya
    Kaden (*)
    Lioness626 (*)
    peachpie1164
    Prince Virus (*)
    RavenclawHobbit (*)
    Samuel Beechworth.
    Seighin
    Tawk (*)
    weegeestar5
    wesleydog

-----

Combined Variations
As most people chose to track them separately, I'm making that the default. If you want them to be tracked together as a little more of a challenge, then contact me and I'll mark it down here.
    .chamomile. (1+2)
    ○~Discover~○ (2+3)
    Akami-chan (2+3)
    Backseatpanda (2+3)
    CityLights. (2+3)
    dannys77 (1+4)
    Discordia (2+3)
    ego. (1+4)
    Gwanu (1+2)
    huskybaer (1+2)
    Kaden (2+4)
    Kazoo (2+3)
    Larkspur (2+3)
    lilypawthegreat (2+3)
    Lioness626 (2+4)
    Logan. (2+3)
    peachcream (2+3)
    Prince Virus (2+4)
    RavenclawHobbit (2+4)
    RenaiRoa (2+3)
    riptide ; (1+2)
    Tawk (2+4)
    TheSongOfTheStars (1+2)

There is a much more detailed list on my google docs that you can visit by clicking this link. You do not need a google account, as far as I'm aware, in order to view.
In this list, you can find links to everyone's storage locations. I highly encourage you to browse through when you have a chance ^^

This will also list goals and your progress.
You can now edit the progress sheet on your own. Please make sure to do that so it's up to date. If you don't then your work will not be counted as I do not have the time to search through everyone's storage locations every day to check if work has been done.
Last edited by Solanum on Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:46 am, edited 10 times in total.
♠ Character site
♠ Writing thread
♠ 2017 Character challenge

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _Image
I will be here
when you think you’re all alone
Seeping through the cracks
I’m the poison in your bones
My love is your disease
I won't let it set you free
Til I break you

You’ll never know what hit you
Won’t see me closing in
I’m gonna make you suffer
This hell you put me in
I’m underneath your skin
The devil within

I tried to be the lover to your nightmare
Look what you made of me
Now I’m a heavy burden that you can’t bear
Look what you made of me
Look what you made of me
I’ll make you see
Solanum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: CAAA Character Development Challenge 2015! WIP

Postby Wesley » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:15 am

Need help? Want some ideas for your characters?
We've created a Chatzy for you to use. You may discuss the challenge with other members here, ask for help, etc.
Click to go to the chat room!

Alternatively, we've put together a list of people who would be more than willing to try to help you develop your characters! Feel free to send them a PM if you get stuck in the middle of writing for your character, but please be courteous of them and understand that they may not always have time to respond right away!
Image - wesleydog Image - Solanum Image - Lioness626
Image - ego. Image - Whisky Image - Gingler
Image - .kestral Image - fαℓℓιиg яαιи Image - PFDC
Image - Sadbloom Image - hiperyon
Last edited by Wesley on Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
Wesley

Image Image Image Image

Wesley

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

FAQS

Postby Wesley » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:31 am

FAQS

Do we need to include characters that we are trying to sell in our character count?

No, you do not need to draw or write for characters that you do not intend to keep. If you no longer bond with them, there's no reason to force yourself to write or draw for a character you have no muse for!

What if I don't finish by December 31, 2015?

No worries, you put forth a valiant effort. You may choose to consider getting rid of characters you didn't complete, or you can carry over the challenge to 2016 and continue to draw to draw or write for all of your characters!

May I do more than one variation? (For example, Beginning Authors AND Artists)

Of course you may! Just specify in your form that you'll be doing both. You won't receive extra tickets in raffles or extra prizes for completing both, but you will be heavily applauded for your hard work and dedication to developing your OCs!

What if I can't think of anything to draw/write about for one of my OCs?

If you have absolutely no muse and no longer wish to keep them, just sell them off/give them away and update your character count. HOWEVER, if you'd like to keep them and you're struggling to find muse, PM one of our helpers or talk to other members in the Chatzy! I'm sure they'd be more than willing to help you out and give you new ideas.

What if I buy new characters throughout the time that I'm doing the challenge?

If you intend to keep those characters, you must add them to your character count and develop them as well.

May I add my own spin to the challenge?

If you want to make the challenge harder for yourself, then you're welcome to take the suggestions listed under the variations or to come up with something on your own. As long as you're completing the base challenges that we've set up for you, you can be part of the event regardless of whatever else you add to your challenge. ^^

Can I join late/in the middle of the challenge?

Of course, but please be advised that you'll be a bit behind everyone else. If you'd like to challenge yourself to catch up, then go for it! Or, you can extend yourself to end one year after the date you started. (For example, everyone who signs up in January 2015 should end in December 2015. But if you sign up in March 2015, you can end in March 2016 if you didn't finish and you'd like to continue the challenge after the official CAAA one is concluded.)

May I make one piece of art/writing with more than one of my characters and count it as their portion of the challenge?

Yes, but you must double the limit! For example, an art piece featuring 3 characters has to have 3 separate fullbodies in it. A 1,000 word piece with 3 characters should be a 3,000 word piece. A 300-500 word piece with 3 characters will actually need to be a 900-1,500 word piece.

Any other questions? PM Solanum or I and we'll add them up here!
Last edited by Wesley on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wesley

Image Image Image Image

Wesley

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Solanum » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:04 am

Reserving, just in case
♠ Character site
♠ Writing thread

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _Image
I will be here
My love is your disease
Til I break you

Won’t see me closing in
This hell you put me in
I’m underneath your skin
The devil within

Look what you made of me
Look what you made of me
Look what you made of me
I’ll make you see
Solanum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wesley » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:25 am

Username: wesleydog
    How many characters do you have?: As far as characters I intend to keep, 167
    Which variation of the character challenge will you be doing?: Variation Number 4: Character Hoarders
    Link to the thread, website, sta.sh, etc. where you will be keeping your progress: My challenge website
    Will you be getting rid of the characters you don't complete by the end of 2015?: I will try to get rid of them if I don't connect with them!
    Anything else: I plan to do the personalities for each of my 167 characters; I will also be writing full/detailed stories for each of my fursonas and main characters - 16-17 total.
    signmeupforthechallenge
Last edited by Wesley on Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wesley

Image Image Image Image

Wesley

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: CAAA Character Development Challenge 2015! Open to join!

Postby Solanum » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:28 am

Username: Solanum
    How many characters do you have?: Approximately 40? I'm running the list so I can count later.
    Which variation of the character challenge will you be doing?: Numero Uno. 1000 words c;
    Link to the thread, website, sta.sh, etc. where you will be keeping your progress: Link
    Will you be getting rid of the characters you don't complete by the end of 2015?: I will try to sell them x3
    Anything else: Wes, bug me if I'm lazy.
    Also, will additionally try and get at least 6 pieces of art of each character to get into green.
    signmeupforthechallenge
♠ Character site
♠ Writing thread

I will be here
My love is your disease
Til I break you

Won’t see me closing in
This hell you put me in
I’m underneath your skin
The devil within

Look what you made of me
Look what you made of me
Look what you made of me
I’ll make you see
Solanum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby conquest; » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:29 am

Username: conquest;
How many characters do you have?: 49!
Which variation of the character challenge will you be doing?: Variation 2!
Link to the thread, website, sta.sh, etc. where you will be keeping your progress: toyhou.se
Will you be getting rid of the characters you don't complete by the end of 2015?: (Yes / No / I will try to get rid of them if I don't connect with them!) i'll try! probably will, but idk.
Anything else:
signmeupforthechallenge
Last edited by conquest; on Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
conquest;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~ mew ~ » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:41 am

Username: Lunarblaze12
How many characters do you have?: 29-30 (depends on how many I put in this one group I made), most with no art.
Which variation of the character challenge will you be doing?: Variation 2, Artist
Link to the thread, website, sta.sh, etc. where you will be keeping your progress: link
Will you be getting rid of the characters you don't complete by the end of 2015?: Might as well!
Anything else: This variation was actually one of my goals XD Also for all my characters that aren't canines, I'll try my best to draw, but I'll most likely also draw a canine form for them. I might also do some characters strictly for one rp that I don't use anywhere else.
signmeupforthechallenge
Last edited by ~ mew ~ on Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
trading all pets/items for flightrising currency
~ mew ~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me