Petition: Right to Dictate Your Own Species

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Re: Petition: Right to Dictate Your Own Species

Postby Kyar » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:15 am

I feel like the way this topic is panning out is basically proving/reenforcing why this rule is in existence. This is exactly what I was afraid would happen.
Have a good day y'all.
Please contact me here or on TH - I will no longer be using Discord!
Kyar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Autumn Rain » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:16 am

In all seriousness, can someone in support of this petition please explain the need to exclude sexual orientations from characters that will ultimately not belong to you?

If I understand correctly, Chomp, it isn't that you oppose the LGBTQ community, it's the principle of controlling what you create. But why will it affect you at all?
Autumn Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lesbian » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:17 am

Chomp wrote:No. Its not discriminating towards anybody... What if you said you didn't want any characters in your species to have a mental disorder? Or to be never be sad? Is this discrimination towards mentally handicapped or depressed people? Even people who just tend to be sad? No. But telling an artist they can't choose these traits, because you won't personally make a character that is any other way then what they have decided against is self exclusion.

Not letting any of the characters of your species not have mental disorder is discrimination towards mentally handicapped or depressed people. Perhaps we should make a petition to disallow people to have adopts who have handicaps or mental disorders in their species so you realise how silly this whole 'petition' thing is.

Sexuality and gender is a unique thing to every person and disallowing people to express themselves through their own characters, and often it's a personal thing, and by saying that every single character within a species must be a specific sexuality is silly and you cannot police that especially if the person who owns the character doesn't outright state their character's sexuality.
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
hàlo, is mise fineal! (hello, my name is fennel!)
i'm a queer artist from scotland, & i've been on
cs for 12 years now!! mainly here to collect tho
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
they/them • adhd (bad @ pms/trades) • lesbian
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
lesbian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gothic knight » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:23 am

Chomp wrote:That's just it. Were not talking about bought art, which is completely different. Free adoptables forever can be just ad loose or restricted as the artist wants. Maybe that's not the norm but if they so wanted to, they can afford themselves that righht.

It is absolutely wrong to say that heterophobia doesn't exist, this site is a good example of it, along wit tumble. lunch is over but I'll prepare a proper example post later. Until then, me and other users can agree what's going on here is actually borderline bullying and is indeed heterophobia whether or not people like to believe it. Pretending it isn't going to change what it is, so let's call it what it is.

i honestly don't believe there's any heterophobia or bullying going on here. though if you feel that way, surely you understand how it would feel if this petition went through? suppose there's a adopt thats lgbtq+ only. you're uncomfortable with that, but you really like the adopt. wouldn't you feel a little bad that you can't make your adopted character a sexuality you are comfortable with?
┌─────────┐

Imagex

└─────────┘
┌───────────────────────┐

call me fhey
i don't know what to put here
currently very obsessed with fnaf and ff14 raiding
x
ultimate legend btw

trades | fflogs | husband | ©
x

└───────────────────────┘
┌─┐

└─┘
gothic knight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:40 am

khal wrote:i honestly don't believe there's any heterophobia or bullying going on here.

Oh, so you missed the posts that were deleted for bullying then? ;)

suppose there's a adopt thats lgbtq+ only. you're uncomfortable with that, but you really like the adopt. wouldn't you feel a little bad that you can't make your adopted character a sexuality you are comfortable with?

No, I wouldn't. Why would I force them to accept me into that adopt's community? I can find a community that caters to me and my preferences. If it's a lgbtq+ only group, then it's an lgbtq+ only. That's totally a thing, most importantly caters to the feeling of belonging.

I feel like I'm the only one that actually read the OP...

The current issue is RPing the adoptable.

Would you force someone to RP as straight/homosexual if they weren't comfortable with it?

The current proposition is to have set sexualities for adoptables. Yes, it means exclusion but its for the same reason the lgbtq+ has its own thread. To create an environment that is for like minded individuals and it's up to the creator if they want that environment or not. Why should the artist have zero choice on this matter? That the thing they created is out of their hands and, in the case of the "illegal" JBDs, someone can come along and make an adoptable out of spite to say "Your way of thinking is wrong because you think my way of thinking is wrong" and there is nothing to be done about it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but can someone explain to me how that isn't considered harassment?

2) When an artist is forced to create a rule that goes against their belief set, it is them and their community who are truly being excluded.

3) The artist of the species allows users to adopt their species out of their own generosity, therefore it is a privilege of the community to adopt from them. Community feedback and desires are secondary, and further privileges to the community, not requirements for the artist.

If this ability is not granted then at the very least I would like to petition for this rule to be given a proper place amongst the Adoptable Oekaki and Forum rules.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Autumn Rain » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:21 am

Nobody is forcing anybody to create anything. We're just explaining to you that it is exclusionary to prevent people from setting their own sexual orientation as their adoptable's sexual orientation. And for what?

Autumn Rain wrote:In all seriousness, can someone in support of this petition please explain the need to exclude sexual orientations from characters that will ultimately not belong to you?

If I understand correctly, Chomp, it isn't that you oppose the LGBTQ community, it's the principle of controlling what you create. But why will it affect you at all?
Autumn Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mawsoleum » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:22 am

Yes, it means exclusion but its for the same reason the lgbtq+ has its own thread.

Not really.
It means exclusion because the species owner isn't comfortable with homosexual people. The LBGTQ+ thread is there for people who are similar, for people who share a certain part of their life, and for people who are constantly oppressed, erased, and put down by homophobic people.
This means exclusion for the second reason, to erase and ignore homosexuality. Let's not even play, there's a reason you don't want your species queer. You can determine that reason for yourself, but think honestly, why? Why can't there be gay or pan or asexual characters. This isn't about "artists having rights", but about trying to further exclude queer people. I'm saying it a bit harshly, but it's a harsh topic.

This is not for people who can come together for a reason, this is not "good" exclusion, this is rude and hurtful.

Also, I'd like to go back and say that heterophobia is absolutely not real. You don't get killed for being hetero. You don't get bullied for being hetero. You don't get looked down upon or kicked out of your home for being hetero. You don't have people constantly telling you you're wrong and trying to deny your rights and existence. It does not exist.

EDIT: While I'm at it, I'm going to go even further back to that whole "I don't know how to rp homosexual people!" thing. You know the only difference between a straight person and a queer person is who they love, right? So, uh, it's really not all that different to roleplay with them. Literally all you have to do is act like you would normally, but put your affections towards someone who is the same gender, nonbinary, etc. There is no difference in how we act, it comes down to, again, people just being uncomfortable with it. Just say it makes you uncomfortable, please.
Last edited by mawsoleum on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

toyhouse
𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪
want wl sitting cats
𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪
song of the month

hello!
you can call me grim or maw

they/them
post hardcore/hardcore/deathcore/metalcore obsessed
adult member
disc: mawsoleum
mawsoleum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby abel. » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:40 am

kuroo wrote:
Also, I'd like to go back and say that heterophobia is absolutely not real. You don't get killed for being hetero. You don't get bullied for being hetero. You don't get looked down upon or kicked out of your home for being hetero. You don't have people constantly telling you you're wrong and trying to deny your rights and existence. It does not exist.

Ding ding ding, kuroo wins.
      You do not know what homophobia feels like because some people tell you that your intolerance is unacceptable.
      You have not felt the systematic oppression that is put upon LGBTQ+ members. Your sexuality isn't illegal in parts of the world. You do not have to hide from family and friends, you do not have to live with the fact that you cannot be open about who you are out of the fear of being gay/bi/pan/ect. You do not know what homophobia feels like.

This was bugging me, it was a wee bit off topic but I had to get it out.

┌── ──── ────────── ─── ───── just like my country ────┐

Hi! My name is Abel. I am a bisexual girl, and I
love Oreo's, birds, blankets, and movies. I also love Marvel,
Glee, and MLP. I'm a huge theatre nerd and listen to Hamilton
on loop. I love to read and write, and draw as a hobby. I am a
senior in college, and school is keeping me pretty busy, so my
replies may be slow. Thank you!

└──[ i'm young, scrappy, and hungry ]────── ─── ──── ─ ─────┘
abel.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Banter » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:48 am

If a gay/bi person was comfortable playing with a straight character and didn't think the rule was a big deal, I agree that no one has the right to exclude him or her. Therefore, no one is being unfairly excluded. Lets take Chomp's vegetarian example.

Some people believe it's morally wrong to eat meat. They would never do it. If they wanted to make a character in a species that was pure carnivore, could they complain that's discriminating against them? Many characters have traits decided by the artist. Is dictating these features about the character unreasonable? I take demonic possession seriously. Am I being discriminated against because I am not comfortable adopting demon-based adoptables?

Many species do not practice homosexual behavior. Perhaps an artist just wants to reflect this in his/her species. I think it's closed minded to assume that anyone who would do such a thing MUST be irrationally terrified or hateful.
Banter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mawsoleum » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:52 am

Please stop likening vegetarians to queer people.

Being a vegetarian is a choice, being queer is not. Wanting your character to eat the same thing as you is very different than wanting your character to represent you better with their sexuality.

Actually, it's not too uncommon to see cases of homosexuality in animals. Regardless, most species on this site have intelligence similar to a human's, so they'd know more about love and their sexual orientation. Even if they weren't as intelligent, why not allow them to be queer? It does happen in nature, so why not let it happen in a "natural species"?

toyhouse
𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪
want wl sitting cats
𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪
song of the month

hello!
you can call me grim or maw

they/them
post hardcore/hardcore/deathcore/metalcore obsessed
adult member
disc: mawsoleum
mawsoleum