Ranger's Roundhouse

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Which was your favourite?

The third fragment (Zappy)
No votes
The fourth fragment (Snow-fang)
No votes
Stars
10%
Roses
No votes
Genealogy
30%
The sci-fi/action piece
10%
Kill or be Killed
20%
A Kingdom in Shards
10%
The Jumanji fanfiction
10%
Other (let me know! :.D)
10%

Total votes : 10

Re: Ranger's Roundhouse

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 pm

The prompt for this was ‘a high-speed chase’, and I had a limit of 500 words :D Title-suggestions welcome :p

xxxxxThe world passed by in a dizzying flash beneath his feet as he hurtled forward with every fiber of his being. His muscles burned and his head spun, but he refused to give in.
xxxxxThe tables had turned! The black figure that haunted his every waking moment fled in speechless terror only inches ahead, and he would not let it escape again! Countless times had it caught him by surprise, unaware and unprepared, in the past, but never again.
xxxxxHe ran, ran with the wind in his face and a fever in his bones — but to no avail. It almost seemed able to read his mind, darting away and keeping just a hairsbreadth out of reach no matter how hard he strained to ensnare it. But still, it couldn’t lose him.
xxxxxThe phantom darted left suddenly, catching him off-guard as it disappeared round a bend. Desperately he staggered after, just barely missing the side of a building, and forced his burning thighs to greater effort.
xxxxxQuickly!
xxxxxSuddenly it seemed in reach; his eyes widened, and he lunged forward...
xxxxx...and missed! The phantom whisked away, once again unharmed.
xxxxxWith a despairing howl he whirled to follow his tormentor — then came to an abrupt halt, bristling in an alarm that quickly eased as he recognised the hand against his shoulder. Taking advantage of his distraction, the spectre vanished.
xxxxx“Hey, buddy — whaddaya doin’ chasin’ your tail, silly boy?” His human’s voice flooded with affection, and her nose crinkled in the way he loved best, but there was no time to play.
xxxxxWhining apologetically he raised his nose, scenting the air, but his nemesis was again undetectable.
xxxxxOf course.
xxxxxWith a short, soft sigh he lay down to rest; he was exhausted, so there was no point in attempting a second confrontation. But tomorrow? Oh, tomorrow he would teach it who was boss.

312 words
Last edited by Ranger of the North on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:04 am

That came outta nowhere

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Krenko » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:30 am

That was an unexpected plot twist...XD
doot doot
Krenko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:05 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:That came outta nowhere
Krenko wrote:That was an unexpected plot twist...XD
Ahahaha! XD :D
Your fuddlement is gratifying XD
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:58 am

I don't know what I expected but it wasn't that XD I loved that Ranger
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:21 pm

Pyjaks wrote:I don't know what I expected but it wasn't that XD I loved that Ranger
Hahahaha 😂 Thank you so much! XD

(I've reset the poll ^-^)
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:08 pm

I did a thing!

xxxxxIt’s nearly time... It’s nearly time...
xxxxxThe call echoed and re-echoed, vibrating the very core of his hollow bones and setting every muscle aflame with life.
xxxxxIt’s nearly time... It’s nearly time...
xxxxxHe twitched an eyelid, sealed though it was, and his hatching muscle tightened convulsively. With a sharp jerk, his head shot from under his wing and rocketed against the confining space with all the strength in his small body.
xxxxxOutside, someone clucked soft encouragement.
xxxxxThen, exhausted, he slept. For two days, unaware of the passage of time, he slept. Waiting. Gathering strength, for he knew somehow that the worst struggle was yet to come.

xxxxxIt’s time... It’s time...
xxxxxSomething whispered softly to his heart, and he flexed a talon; shifted a wing; experimented with the weight of his head. His egg-tooth carved gentle furrows in the soft inside of the shell, and outside, someone chirped an eager inquiry.
xxxxx‘Is it time?’
xxxxxTasting the space around him, he piped a soft answer and shifted clumsily within the shell; frail baby-muscles obeyed his will as best they could. Curious, he continued to move, testing the strength of his limbs. Was the world really this large?
xxxxxThe egg-tooth dug a little deeper.

xxxxxIt’s time — it’s time...!
xxxxxThe next day — though the passing of time meant nothing to him yet — his once-secure home was a prison. He could barely move. Had no room to grow.
xxxxxIt’s time — it’s time — !
xxxxxCautiously, he wriggled a toe — then froze as something in the shell gave. What had once been so impenetrable had worn thin, and weakened.
xxxxxThe chick shifted again, and the world wobbled unsteadily. A soft call resounded from outside, and he paused a moment to listen.
xxxxx‘A little more, small one — a little more!’
xxxxxIt’s time, it’s time!
xxxxxHe wriggled again, relishing the feel of extra space — free movement — and an eager, chirping cry welled from his heart in answer to the voice outside.
xxxxx‘It’s time, it’s time, it’s time!’
xxxxxIt’s time.
xxxxxThe chick squirmed once more, and at last the shell — an ear-splitting screech sliced the air like a bloodstained knife. With a violent flurry of wind, all semblance of warmth vanished as if it had never existed; the chick was flung roughly aside and tumbled from his egg’s secure embrace. Stunned, he lay motionless.
xxxxxFor the first time in his life, the chick lay unconfined. An onslaught of information — scent-weight-wind-cold-bare-sun-pain-light-firm-dry-air-space-sound-touch-space-space-space! — struck him like a physical blow, and a terrified cry sprang from the pit of his soul.
xxxxxThere was no reply.
xxxxxPanicked, he chirped wildly, not daring to move; some instinct told him danger was near; he must not move and she must come back.
xxxxxA low whistle rose and fell with the wind and the chick quietened eagerly — but the sound was unfamiliar and empty.
xxxxxGrief settled storm-cloud dark in his heart. He needed warmth — needed touch — needed the heartbeat that had drummed on so unflaggingly steadfast before now, singing him a wordless song of love and hope.
xxxxxNow it seemed only a memory.
xxxxxHe needed, like a river needs rain, the reassuring press of feathers against his down, shutting out the cold and the big and the wide and sealing him off — safe — and alone but for her.
xxxxxHe needed his mother.
xxxxxDesperate, he scraped at the air with his claws — beat his wings, feeble though they were, and flipped sideways. The bitter taste of dry dirt coated his tongue like poison. Gravity bore down with the weight of a giant, and defeated, the chick lay still.
xxxxxAn anguished cry overflowed from his heart, echoed and re-echoed by every fibre of his being — ‘Don't leave me!’
xxxxxBut she took no notice.
xxxxxUtterly dismayed, the chick ceased fighting. Exhausted muscles refusing to cooperate any longer — not daring to call again lest he attract predators — he lay as if dead. Helpless, alone, and so, so afraid.
xxxxxA vengeful, merciless wind hissed through the trees, carrying a threatening chill. With deceptively gentle fingers it probed the falcon’s still-damp down, creeping like an icy-legged spider across his skin. Frozen talons sank deep within his bones.
xxxxxWithin moments his muscles had locked fast.
xxxxxThe torturous seconds ticked by like minutes. The minutes like hours. And the chick's small heart beat dangerously slow.
xxxxxWeariness infused every muscle, but it was the grief — the aching, immeasurable pain of knowing he had lost her, she was gone, gone forever and had abandoned him — conspired with the pitiless cold to strip him of everything.
xxxxxTime took its toll, unstoppable as the rising sun.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:04 pm

At first it was like awe
Then it was like -distant agonized sobbing-

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:07 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:At first it was like awe