{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:24 pm

Yo, guys, I wrote some poems for the first time in forever! :D
Thoughts?

[some kind of title]
xxxxxxTHE
Wind, it crashes like an ocean wave
xxxTaunting those both bold and brave

xxxxxxSOON
Rain will follow all in good stead
xxxBeating on land both alive and dead

xxxxxxTO
The east the sun peeks across
xxxLighting the way for travellers lost

xxxxxxBE
Hopeful, and of good cheer
xxxFor these things come from year to year

xxxxxxWILL
You stay a while and see
xxxAll the things that are to be?

xxxxxxCOME
Dear child, I'll let you know
xxxI hold Time, if you'll let me show?
Floodwaters
Water, swirling water—rising steadily higher.
Water, swirling water. Drowning after fire.
Rain pattering down in endless little drops—
To join the water, swirling water. It never seems to stop.
A country under siege. Two islands about to drown.
Swirling water rising up, heavy raindrops splashing down.
Rivers burst their banks; puddles surround the houses
As the water—swirling water—rises up and pounces.
When will it end? A nation crying out for help.
As water—swirling water—harshly rises as it pelts.

Code: Select all
[b]What do you enjoy more: writing stories or poems? What about in terms of reading?[/b]
Last edited by Ranger of the North on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby frankie (dup) » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:29 pm

Which relationships do you like best; which strikes a chord in you? (romance, ordinary friendship, brother-sister, friendship borne of shared hardships/experiences, parent-child etc.)

I have 1000000 BroTPs

@Ranger of the North I love those! I can't help but read them like songs, especially Floodwaters. It seems almost like an old folk song to me.
my dms are open,
but im a spoonie
and i may not
respond promptly.
it's not personal.
especially hmu if
you want to talk
about atla,
im autistic and its
been my special
interest for like.
a bajillion years.
➤ they/it lesbian
➤ canadian eh
➤ gay zuko
truther /lh
➤ please use
tonetags!
➤ feel free to ask for
my discord if we've
talked before
➤ help idk how to
make this pretty
frankie (dup)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:31 pm

@Duplex—Wow! Thank you so much! :D No one has ever said that about my poems before, thank you! :D <3
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:02 pm

What do you enjoy more: writing stories or poems? What about in terms of reading?
Writing wise, I find both extremely enjoyable, but though poems are fun to read I prefer a good fully developed story, poems leave quite a few questions unanswered.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:09 am

What do you enjoy more: writing stories or poems? What about in terms of reading?
Stories. Poems are too short and "rigid" for me.

Also, I recently revived my idea of that flying squirrel/sugar glider species. I came up with a character and a personality for her, but both she and the species need a name. I can provide information if anyone's interested.

I think I'll develop her character and her dragon-ish friend through writing a oneshot.

Which relationships do you like best; which strikes a chord in you? (romance, ordinary friendship, brother-sister, friendship borne of shared hardships/experiences, parent-child etc.)
I know this sounds a bit strange, but I like those kinds of characters who are like, "I work alone, and don't want to get attached to anyone in case I lose them... but I do have one friend."
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peachycupcake525 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:02 am

Stories for both. Poems confuse me, and I feel more connected to a story.
peachycupcake525

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:03 am

I know exactly what you mean Nitro, those relationships are always a bit nerve wracking because you never know what that character will do to keep their friend safe (Sherlock anybody?)

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:37 am

Nah, I like those relationships because of the emotional moments.

The flying squirrel and dragon characters I mentioned in the previous post will probably have that relationship. The "flying squirrel" is impulsive because of some problem in her life, and the "dragon" feels concerned about her wellbeing, but he can get frustrated with her sometimes. "Without me, you feel weak, don't you?"
By the way, I need names for the characters. The best one I can think of for the "flying squirrel" is Torbilla, a pun on tobira (Japanese for "door"; what could she be a metaphorical door to?), but it sounds too similar to tortilla.
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:13 am

>What do you enjoy more: writing stories or poems? What about in terms of reading?
I definitely prefer stories, to write and to read. Poetry feels rigid and awkward no matter what I do. I enjoy reading novels in verse, though, like Brown Girl Dreaming.

@Indigo
I think that would be really interesting to read! I would say not to worry about the names too much; use random placeholders (e.g., Boson, Marchioness, and Eggru) and if you get attached, so be it. Torbilla also sounds a lot like "tobillo", which means ankle.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blackbird. » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:56 am

which relationships do you like best; which strikes a chord in you? (romance, ordinary friendship, brother-sister, friendship borne of shared hardships/experiences, parent-child etc.)
      i think familial relationships really get to me because to me, familial relationships are the most obvious example of unconditional love.
      think of the love a parent has for a baby. the baby literally does nothing except poop and sleep and cry, but the parent still loves it,
      and as it grows up, the parent continues to love. and it doesn't have to be parent/child. i find sibling relationships so beautiful, especially the way they evolve as the siblings grow up and grow apart. and sometimes they can be so different, but they still love each other so much. it's my favourite example of unconditional love, love which gives and asks for nothing in return. kind of like the giving tree (if you haven't read it, i highly suggest it!) which brings so many tears and mixed emotions no matter how old (or young) i am.

what do you enjoy more: writing stories or poems? What about in terms of reading?
      i prefer writing stories because it's more straightforward. poetry requires to much crafting and demands too much effort and i'm just so lazy. as for reading, i prefer reading stories when i'm idle and need some time to kill, but when i'm doing literary analyses and deconstructing writing, i like poems more because there's so much going on. especially the really well-written ones, in which there's all the literary devices, and the way the poet breaks the lines and stanzas, and the structure and the movement of the poem, and it's all so beautiful and makes me want to cry.

@ranger
      those are some really nice poems!
      [some kind of title] reminds me a lot of easter, which is approaching really soon,
      because when i read it i think of the resurrection of jesus
      and it makes me so happy ^^
      floodwaters is also lovely and i like how you always write about your home country
      because it makes it so much more personal.
      great job!
blackbird.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me