*critique me* (you post, I critique)

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: *critique me* (you post, I critique)

Postby ~DavidBryanRashbaum~ » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:46 pm

Cadin Araceli wrote:
Hey! I am so so SO sorry I have been seriously slacking! I promise this time when I say I am back I really mean it!
I should be finished with the current works by the end of the week! If not, PLEASE pm and ask me to stop being lazy and work!
Thank you all for being so patient!

Hey. Not to be a bother. I PM'd you. It might help btw
Exams:/ have to do 'em. Probably will be missing for another three weeks or so:(

i'm up for 1x1 and role playing, infact that's practically all I do :)

DAVID BRYAN RASHBAUM

David Bryan Rashbaum wrote:Baby I want you like the roses want the rain, you know I need you like a poet needs the pain and I would give anything, my blood, my love, my life if you were in these arms tonight. We stared at the sun and we made a promise, a promise this world would never blind us. These were our words, our words were our songs, our songs are our prayers, these prayers keep me strong, it's what I believe, it’s where we belong. Your clothes are all scattered all over this room this whole place still smells like your cheap perfume, everything here reminds me of you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, yeah, these are our words, they keep me strong, it's what i believe, it's where we belong!
~DavidBryanRashbaum~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WilloweWolf » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:06 am

Could you critique this?
(Dreamer is NOT for trade.)
For those who haven't read my interests, this is a shared account. My little sis is on more often than me, so don't be surprised if I don't know you.

The only thing I horde is LOTR stamps
Image Image ImageImageImageImageImage
WilloweWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cadin Araceli » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:05 am

Apacolypse

So there seems to be a good start here, but there is a lot going on in such a short time, I am getting lost and a little overwhelmed. You need to make sure you can take a step back and try your best ensure the reader understands the satiation as fully as your chacter does (or more if needed) before moving on. Like explain about the toxins and how they got there, then about the effect it had on the population, how they handled it, ect ect. Throwing it all together in one paragraph makes it hard to digest.

Also, there is a lot going on in general, from general human survival from toxins, to mutated beasts, to the killer robots, and the alien. The themes are nice by themselves, and maybe two together, but all of them is a little too much for the plot to progress cleanly. I suggest picking the themes that are most relevant to your plot. To do this effectively, decided whether this is story driven or character driven, then chose what will give you the most to work with. (i.e. say you pick character driven, so you chose alien and toxic air. Therefor giving your character a challenge and someone to work with)

Also, I would suggest a read over for punctuation. There are a few periods missing that also make it hard to read. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
CADIN

my poetry

◇ roleplayer ◇

◇loves chocolate & zombies ◇
◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦
- As you can guess, my name is Cadin!
I am very friendly, feel free to PM or trade with me!
I might not be on 24/7, but I am still very active!

I will be on very spottily.
I am going through a lot of personal stuff.

◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦
Cadin Araceli

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cadin Araceli » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:15 am

The Hunter

I really love the way you have written this, it gives us a very clear pictures without over crowding us with detail. The way you were able to separate the narrators speech from those who where speaking was also great.
I think maybe adding more to the ghost girl would be great, like maybe give little hints that she isn't exactly normal. Adding in the hunter and her walking to the cottage would be a great way to do this.
Also, if you could give us a little more as to what is going on inside the hunters head, this being either with thought process, or body language. It would helps us connect more.
As always, if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
CADIN

my poetry

◇ roleplayer ◇

Cadin Araceli

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Claw. » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:18 am

Could you please critique the story in my sig!
╔═════════════════════╗

Hi I'm Claw!
She/her pronouns
This sig is a w.i.p

xxx xxx xxx

╚═════════════════════╝
Claw.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Greenleaf » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:24 am

Cadin Araceli wrote:The Hunter

I really love the way you have written this, it gives us a very clear pictures without over crowding us with detail. The way you were able to separate the narrators speech from those who where speaking was also great.
I think maybe adding more to the ghost girl would be great, like maybe give little hints that she isn't exactly normal. Adding in the hunter and her walking to the cottage would be a great way to do this.
Also, if you could give us a little more as to what is going on inside the hunters head, this being either with thought process, or body language. It would helps us connect more.
As always, if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Thank you so much for the help! <3

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cadin Araceli » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am

The Story of a YelowJacket Wasp
(up to chapter 4)

Right from the begging, you throw us in the middle of a scene with no explanation and no background. It's only after the first paragraph I am even aware they aren't human. The first paragraph or so is needed for background and plot set up. Make sure we know the important pre-established relationships and have a good idea of how your world works before you start with heavy conversation.

Also, when you have back and forth conversation, make sure the readers don't tune out by throwing in body language and movement of some kine here and there. It lets us know how the characters are feeling about everything without a thought process and breaks up the back and forth. When sharing key information, like the story of BlackVine, build up to it. Include dramatic pauses and show how the new information really sits with whomever is being told.

Make sure you keep the story moving as a slow enough pace that we can follow, right now everything is moving really fast and the reader has no time to react and let thins sink in. Adding in more detail and less talking will help this a lot. Remember, we are trying to build up suspense to the climax, and along the way connect with your characters so we are really invested in their lives.

Do one more read over when you go back to edit, there are a few word-mix ups (except instead of accept and the like). Otherwise, feel free to ask me any questions you might have!
CADIN

my poetry

◇ roleplayer ◇

Cadin Araceli

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Anthem of Angels » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:55 am

Thank you! :) I will fix that up soon.
Anthem of Angels

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Loѕт Boy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:02 am

Lunaclan- based on first chapter. I will read over the second and third paragraph and get back to you.

So, first off, you should go back and look over your story. There are a few spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.

From the beginning I was a little confused when you mentioned Stormdrop and Foxfur when they didn't really come up in that paragraph, or any others until paragraph four. Instead, you should add a little more detail about the surrounding, what she sees, hears, or smells. It would give the reader a bigger picture to work with while they read. I think you really wrote what a cat would do in any situation.

All in all the chapter was good. Try, when there is one on one conversations, to separate the lines when each cat speaks. It will help the reader determine who is talking(end of paragraph 3). And there are a few run of sentences that should be separated with a period. If you change these, it would really be a good story. The story behind it is kind of lacking. The plot doesn't tell me anything about what is going to happen, it's mostly about the history of Luna Clan. Add a little more to the plot.
Last edited by Loѕт Boy on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loѕт Boy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~DavidBryanRashbaum~ » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:03 am

Username: ~DavidBryanRashbaum~

Writing style: I try to fuse in a little bit of every thing when I write.

Example of writing: on Cadin's WORKS I'VE READ list mine is Eyes of Fire, Your love is blind Prolouge, Chapter one of your love is blind as well as chapter two.

Why you?:I am the chosen one....just kidding! Because I would like to explore other people's writing styles.

pm to Cadin upon completion: I did
Exams:/ have to do 'em. Probably will be missing for another three weeks or so:(

i'm up for 1x1 and role playing, infact that's practically all I do :)

DAVID BRYAN RASHBAUM

David Bryan Rashbaum wrote:Baby I want you like the roses want the rain, you know I need you like a poet needs the pain and I would give anything, my blood, my love, my life if you were in these arms tonight. We stared at the sun and we made a promise, a promise this world would never blind us. These were our words, our words were our songs, our songs are our prayers, these prayers keep me strong, it's what I believe, it’s where we belong. Your clothes are all scattered all over this room this whole place still smells like your cheap perfume, everything here reminds me of you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, yeah, these are our words, they keep me strong, it's what i believe, it's where we belong!
~DavidBryanRashbaum~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me