❛ the lazy writers ❜

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜

Postby Silver Pandorica » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:39 am

Do you think it's okay for writers to add elements to their stories and characters even if the plot doesn't need them? (E.g., the protagonist has pink hair.)

Of course! This makes the characters more believable and unique instead of just cookie-cutter characters. For example, my character Tetra has cherry red hair, which is dyed. i don't believe cherry red is a natural hair color? 😐 and I think this shows that she has dimension and a rather independent personality. Even if something doesn't contribute directly to the plot, it will contribute to the character's personality and really make them pop off the page. Characters should have interests just like real people do.

Ah, I have a question now. XD
Code: Select all
[b]What is your opinion on putting a little of yourself into a character?[/b]
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BucketORandomness » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:43 am

What is your opinion on putting a little of yourself into a character?
I feel like this is an easy way to become attached to a character, but the less you have to do it, the better. If you put a little of yourself into ever character you make, then they all start to read the same way, and the story becomes predictable, which is never a good thing

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:44 am

@megagarius and everyone on this thread

READ 1984, it's one of the most defining dystopian novels there is. It's a little hard to follow, but I did read it when I was 15 so it was quite some time ago. It's got some brilliant plot points and amazing twists, keeps you gripped the whole time!

As for other dystopian books, The Handmaid's Tale is great. It's a very slow book, but sticking with it is very rewarding. We've studied it in my English lit class and I was hooked (I finished the book before most of my class were on chapter 6). That being said, there are some VERY adult themes, so don't read it if you're under like 15 unless you think you can handle adult content (there's themes of *ahem* reproduction and a bit of gory imagery).

Do you think it's okay for writers to add elements to their stories and characters even if the plot doesn't need them? (E.g., the protagonist has pink hair.)

I think it can vary. Sometimes it's a really cool addition to add to the characters' diversity and add an interesting twist to what might be a regular or (for want of a better word) boring character. A lot of elements can be really subtle. One good example is JK Rowling wanted to make Seams and Dean gay, but she was worried that it would distract from the plot too much. However, this would have only really happened if she had done it in a really implicit way, as in saying outright that they were gay (sort of using the word overtly).
The best way of doing it, I think, would to just mention it in passing, show don't tell. In the example I gave, she might have had a brief sentence of them suddenly jumping away from each other one of the times when Harry burst into their dorm. This would have given the readers the surest proof that they were more than just friends, whilst not distracting from the plot.
All in all, I don't see it as a problem, as long as it doesn't distract from the main plot (and doesn't make them a Mary Sue)

What is your opinion on putting a little bit of yourself into a character?

I would say it's best to only add elements of yourself. Maybe putting a little bit of you into each of your characters. Empathising woth your characters will make them easier to write, just as long as you're not just writing yourself into a story (unless of course you're writing an autobiography ^^)

Wow okay sorry, long post :/
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby anxious ghost » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:51 am

I think it's ok with some things. I tend to put a little of myself into each character, just a trait or two that I know well. That way, there's at least one thing that I know "yes, this is how this works", and not "well I've never experienced any of this so how do I write it?"
It just makes some things easier to write, I guess.
╔════════════════════╗
ghost // they/it
nonbinary // queer
ghostkin // otherkin

just a gay lil ghost
not very active anymore

sig by me
╚════════════════════╝
anxious ghost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:55 am

It's ok to put a little bit. Or not even a physical trait or personality trait, it could be one of your wants, desires, they could fulfill one of your dreams. But putting too much into each of them and you may get too attached and they start to look all the same.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:55 am

@Humans
    Have any of you read A Prayer for Owen Meany? My mother recommended it. I just started the book today; it's really good so far, and apparently there's a twist ending.

@Winged
    Curse you. Now I have even more things on my to-read list. Thank you for the recommendation!

I put little bits of myself into my characters all the time, because I know myself better than I know anyone and it makes the characters a lot more realistic. For example, the main character in my current project is terribly insecure, just like I am; her brother picks senseless fights, as I do, though he gets into fistfights and I get into arguments; the love interest is white, much like myself. Tiny traits never hurt anybody, no matter what online Mary-Sue tests say.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:59 am

@worst
At least you have a to-read list! I'm really bad with books because when someone recommends me something to read, I will just start it which is why I'm currently reading at least 7 booms right now...
And I'm planning to start an 8th aaaaa I'm so bad for this ^^
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aliria » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:30 pm

Is it possible not to? All my characters have a tiny bit of me in them, simply because it's really, really, hard to write a character who you have nothing in common with. As long as they're not an exact copy of you, it's completely fine.
I'll send out my soul
To worlds more beautiful

Aliria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:13 pm

Can you write better at night or day? Or doesn't it matter?
Night. So annoying. XD

What are some cliches that irk you while reading?
When two characters hate each other and then randomly fall in love without getting to know each other properly. UUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH !!!

Your character has a massive bag of Carmel corn to share (Significant other, best friend, ect) how do they divide it up?
Ooh, good question... Svern would be extremely suspicious until convinced that it wasn't poisoned or drugged or anything. Then, I think, he'd tuck it in a pocket and keep it for boring situations when no one's watching him XD

Sure, as long as there's not too much! Everyone irl has odd little habits 'n' things, so why not characters lol? Rl can be very random, so why not imaginary life? XD

I think it's a good idea; it's easier to write about things you know, y'know? Like someone who doesn't do much writing writing about writing would just be silly unless they did a lot of research, and even then it likely wouldn't be the same, so someone who's claustrophobic or cheerful is gonna have an easier time describing how their claustrophobic or cheerful character feels in the appropriate situations. Sorry, I think I'm rambling now :silent: XD did i even make sense *shakes head sadly*
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DeMaizu » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:41 pm

I feel I must echo Ali's sentiment; Is it possible not to?????? I mean, in all seriousness, I'm pretty sure we've all done it. Maybe I've done it a bit more than I should have, but I can fix that.

. . . . . . . . . . When I stop being lazy.
DeMaizu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me