{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby fg05281 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:50 am

What are you inspired by?
I can be inspired by anything depending on my mood, but i always find that having a brainstorm with my friends, or writing on a prompt will help me to write. Im writing a bunch of short stories rn based on reddit prompts with my friend.
fg05281

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 pm

Other writers. Reading books and stories makes me wanna write soooo bad. I feel so inspired from seeing other writing styles and methods of writing ;_;
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby starstuff » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:44 pm

Usually I get inspired by reading books or random things like a rain storm or a bird that lands on my windowsill. Sometimes I look to prompts online which help get my brain working.

When all is said I just usually brainstorm ideas for stories on paper. That counts for inspiration right? <3
ミ☆ she/her, art student, enfp
starstuff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:20 pm

Dystopian Roach wrote:

yo! it's been a while since ive posted here,
      but I wanted some opinions on this poem
      I wrote a while ago. it's simply called
      if only, and it bears a pretty serious
      tone to it.

━━━━━━━━

If only I could release every wretched
      twisted thought condemned
      within my bellowing lungs

If only I could glare deeper
      past the exterior of the skin
      to snap apart the bones inside

If only I could release my words
      from my swollen throat
      onto your limp skin

if only I had the courage
      to tear this world apart

Oy! Must have been a long time; I definitely don't remember seeing you around here, but welcome back.

Anyways, I like your poem. While I'm not the best poetry critic or the most avid reader of poems, I can at least tell that you're definitely skilled with word choice and controlling the size of stanzas. There's a lot of emotion in the writing, too, and it's quite concise despite how much description there is.

I don't know. Inspiration can come from the weirdest places--a game I played as a kid, a dumb idea like "what if someone was charged as the accomplice in their own murder", weird noises from the apartment above mine, some historically significant war that no one's heard of, trying to divide radicals, random Greek proverbs.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:55 pm

My inspiration comes and goes, which is why I've learned to type without it. Actually, most of the time, inspiration kills my drive to write, because I spend half the time mentally planning on how to make it different from the source material. Anyways, anything and nothing can inspire me. One day, I'll listen to a song that gives me a burst of inspiration, but when I listen to it again, it's gone. This goes for anything that inspires me.
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: » inklings

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Dystopian Roach wrote:

yo! it's been a while since ive posted here,
      but I wanted some opinions on this poem
      I wrote a while ago. it's simply called
      if only, and it bears a pretty serious
      tone to it.

━━━━━━━━

If only I could release every wretched
      twisted thought condemned
      within my bellowing lungs

If only I could glare deeper
      past the exterior of the skin
      to snap apart the bones inside

If only I could release my words
      from my swollen throat
      onto your limp skin

if only I had the courage
      to tear this world apart
welcome back! you vAnishEd XP Oooh, I like it! It seems to have aspects of hope and... life, I guess, as well as sounding dark and forbidding. I really like it, it's fascinating! Good job :D

Pyjaks wrote:~snip~

Ahhh I love your writing style ;_; but you already know thatXD

I really liked this. I feel like it was a bit more dialogue heavy than other pieces I've read from you, which I enjoyed!! The dialogue was really natural and well done, it didn't feel stale or fake (which is a huge struggle for me so I completely appreciate that!). I also really sympathized with the characters even though I don't know them. I felt like Jared was simultaneously shocked and resigned to see his friend die, as if he'd been through it dozens of times already but at the same time wasn't willing to watch another one die.

You're such a good writer!! <3 If you write anymore with these characters you should let us know:0

~snip~
Aah, thank you so much! :D <3 That really means a lot to me; I'm glad you think I did a good job :D and yasssss I got his emotions across ! *fist-pumping*
I will! Thanks for the support Image

Ideas.
dude, isn't that a beautiful word?!
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:15 am

Good art/stories. It doesn't have to be perfect (perfection is extremely subjective in art, anyway), just have some good element and I'll feel compelled to write about it.

Here's a question for y'all:

Code: Select all
[b]What's a story that has changed your mind about something?[/b]

This doesn't have to be books/writing - mine are both anime xD Trigun really opened my eyes about the culture of violence in America, both in terms of media portrayals and actual guns and stuff. It single-handedly ripped apart my desensitization to violence. The other one is Revolutionary Girl Utena, which convinced me of the need for feminism. While I don't agree with all of its ideas, it forced me to take feminism seriously for the first time, mostly by showing the many many ways that women can be hurt by a patriarchal society.
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bee buzz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:22 am

Hey all. It's midnight where I am so I'm - as usual - abuzz with ideas and inspiration. I have a couple questions, though.

1. How would you go about writing about a sensitive topic (mental health, some kind of trauma, etc)? Would you be starkly honest or upfront, or do you feel you'd hint at the subject in a way that lets the reader know what's happening, without going in to detail?

2. Do you feel you have any writing quirks? If you've ever read Wintergirls, for example, the author uses strikes, repeated words, capitalisation of some things and imagery for some things. I really love that kind of writing and I've found myself working it into some of my pieces - not all, it just doesn't work with some stories. If you do feel you have some, what are they? What do you think influenced them and how do you feel they help further your story?

twitter || TH
not presently taking art commissions!
add me on ACNH: SW-8547-7624-6980
add me on duolingo: beezare

I speak English || я говорю по-русский

bee buzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

--

Postby watermelon. » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:11 am

How would you go about writing about a sensitive topic (mental health, some kind of trauma, etc)?
    i think i'd keep it probably on the down low for a while, as an underlying theme, and build up to the point where it's obvious. one of those things where in the beginning you might think about it, but as the story got further, you'd know for sure what was going on.

reading books, watching movies, and occasionally listening to music (though that's more of a motivational thing). the only problem is that i pick up on ideas and tend to completely copy a plotline without realizing it... oops.

Do you feel you have any writing quirks?
    i don't think i have any, but who knows. i've never noticed anything in specific that i'm always doing, yknow?
    ---

ok time for my question:
    Code: Select all
    [b]Do you like "classic" books? Why or why not?[/b]

i wish i could be one of those people who absolutely loves them, but in reality i'm not. i find older/classic books incredibly boring, most times. obviously there are the few exceptions, but as a majority, i'm not a huge fan. and i know that probably sounds horrible to some of you, lol. and it's not just because we're forced to read them for school - i honestly don't think a lot of them are very good. i definitely prefer the more modern types of writing and the subject matter too.
watermelon.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:23 am

How would you go about writing about a sensitive topic (mental health, some kind of trauma, etc)? Would you be starkly honest or upfront, or do you feel you'd hint at the subject in a way that lets the reader know what's happening, without going in to detail?
This is hardddd. I've always struggled with putting serious situations into my writing. Certain topics, such as mental illness, abusive situations, etc have been a breeze for me because I have personal connections to those topics and feel like I can do them "justice" (that doesn't feel like the right term but you know what I mean). Others, like addiction, trauma and whatnot I've always been a lot more cautious about. It's something that I think I need more experience and education with before I try and incorporate it into my writing. I'm always very scared of misrepresenting someone/something.

Do you feel you have any writing quirks? If you've ever read Wintergirls, for example, the author uses strikes, repeated words, capitalisation of some things and imagery for some things. I really love that kind of writing and I've found myself working it into some of my pieces - not all, it just doesn't work with some stories. If you do feel you have some, what are they? What do you think influenced them and how do you feel they help further your story?
I use too many semicolons -_-
They came from Harry Potter, lol. JK Rowling doesn't overuse them like I do, but she uses them quite a bit during descriptions and lengthy thought processes. I discovered the semi colon when I was pretty young and I've been addicted ever since. Sometimes they really lend a special sentence structure to the piece and help it flow well...other times I realize I've used twelve of them in the past five paragraphs. oops.

Do you like "classic" books? Why or why not?
Hate hate hate them. I still read them because I'm thinking about going into a literature concentrated major, and I can appreciate that many classic books are founders of themes and writing styles we use today...but I can't stand them. They all feel stiff and weird and uncomfortable. I've always struggled with my hatred of classics and even felt a bit guilty about it but meh. I don't even like older books in general. It's very rare that I can find a book I enjoy that's written before, say, 1950.

What's a story that has changed your mind about something?
It's silly, but Mass Effect taught me soooo much about xenophobia. It's something that I've really educated myself on since I played those games. I used to look at xenophobia and think it was a nonissue (probably because it doesn't effect me), but ME opened my eyes. Additionally, in my country's current political climate, it's an important issue to be educated and have a stance on.
Similarly, the video game The Last of Us made me realize "woah a main character doesn't HAVE to be all nice and gallivant and morally good to be interesting". Most of the characters in the game lie on a very diverse spectrum as far as their morals, motivations, etc go, the main character especially. I feel like that game taught me how important it is to flesh out your characters and just, go farther with them, if that makes any sense.
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me