{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby Moonblaze-Angel » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:32 am

Mine is named after my character, Moonblaze. XD I always use Moonblaze-Angel or some form of it on all of my websites, except for FooPets. When I joined that, I was I think 11 or 12? My mom came up with the name - AngelFaceGirl. No idea how she came up with it, but that's where Angelpooooooooooo comes from. The person who gave it to me is how I found CS. :3

Do you have a pen pal?

I actually do. I tend to avoid them, because my commitment is close to zero, but one guy messaged me about half a year ago on FB and we became pen pals. He's from Kenya, and is planning to get a student visa when he graduates (IDK if that will work now, with new prez) to become a doctor. It's really cool, and I would love to have some from other places! Even from some place I've been, but I would encourage finding one. :3
Moonblaze-Angel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:54 am

Do you have a pen pal?
I tried a few times through a magazine thing, but I got bored of it. I realized I like writing to myself much more. Why do you ask the question, I'm curious?

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:21 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:Why do you ask the question, I'm curious?

I have a friend who moved to England when I was younger, and we're pen pals; I send her my stories and she sends me her poetry. I'm not sure, really. I guess I just wanted to know if you all have pen pals too.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:26 am

I don't think I have enough organisation to do NaNo.

I've got to admire Game Freak for coming up with hundreds of (usually) creative creature designs. I can only come up with blooby-looking things.
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:25 am

Do you have a pen pal?
Yes! Sort of. We've never written to each other with pens, just keyboards, but yeah? XD
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:49 pm

Code: Select all
How often do you notice differences in the writing of authors/writers from different cultures? (be it words or terms you're unused to, unfamiliar scenery that's familiar to the author, etc.)
Most of you guys will never understand how non-New Zealander you are XD XD
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby frankie (dup) » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:01 pm

How often do you notice differences in the writing of authors/writers from different cultures? (be it words or terms you're unused to, unfamiliar scenery that's familiar to the author, etc.)

British phrases. Some of the phrases in Harry Potter confused me until I searched up British Phrases so I could make my British character realistic.
Now I can't stop saying oi DX
I'm also Canadian and Canadians have weird food so I might've confused a few people. Super tempted to put ketchup chips into every story I write now and watch people get confused.
my dms are open,
but im a spoonie
and i may not
respond promptly.
it's not personal.
especially hmu if
you want to talk
about atla,
im autistic and its
been my special
interest for like.
a bajillion years.
➤ they/it lesbian
➤ canadian eh
➤ gay zuko
truther /lh
➤ please use
tonetags!
➤ feel free to ask for
my discord if we've
talked before
➤ help idk how to
make this pretty
frankie (dup)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blackbird. » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:42 pm

Pyjaks wrote:Nano stands for Nanowrimo which stands for national novel writing month. It's an event every November where, if you want to participate, writers are encouraged to try to write a 50,000 word novel over the month of November. Anyone can participate and it's really great:)
Similarly, camp nano is like a "tuned down" version of nanowrimo that occurs in April in July. Instead of having the set word count goal, you basically set your own goal for that month- either to write a certain amount, revise old projects, etc. it's a lot more broad than nanowrimo.

ooh i see! thank you c: maybe i'll check it out if i'm free during those months

do you have a pen pal?
      yes, i do! my mum's school classmate lives in canada and when we went to visit i made friends with her son and we exchanged e-mails. we've been talking for several years now and it's so interesting to learn about a culture which is quite different from my own!

how often do you notice differences in the writing of authors/writers from different cultures? (be it words or terms you're unused to, unfamiliar scenery that's familiar to the author, etc.)
      well, once people talk about changes in seasons i know they're not from equatorial regions where it's perpetually summer. once sats and acts are mentioned, or high school experiences, it's almost always from the us. boarding schools seem to be a more british thing to me. i think british/american english is quite different when they use different phrases, for example, football vs soccer,
      crisps vs chips, realise vs realize.
blackbird.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:24 pm

Dublings. Let me quote a YouTube comment I wrote a while ago...
This let's play has made me realise how... oddly-worded the dialogue in this game is. One example, from the very start of this game, is "So Klonoa... is the name of the Dream Traveller." It makes sense, but it just doesn't sound natural.

I like to call translation awkwardness like this "dublings". Dublings are not to be confused with Engrish, mistranslations, untranslatable puns, or completely changing something. A dubling can stem from things such as a phrase with no direct equivalent in another language, two languages having radically different word order, the localisation not being taken seriously (prevalent in the 90s), or a word with multiple translations getting translated to one that's close to the original intention, but not exactly the best choice.

Examples include:
- Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PS1 version) has a few awkwardly literal translations of Japanese verbs, such as "Sometimes I don't remember my dreams, though I'm sure I saw them." (I think Japanese for dreaming literally means "dream-seeing".)
- The term "spirit attachment" in early episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist (2003). Incidentally, Spirit of Alphonse is a cool idea for a username.
- As a non-Japanese example, magical beings being called "fabulous creatures" in Dragon Rider, which is a German book.

Also, anything involving American schools.
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:06 am

Good question! Words and phrases, of course, confuse me to no end. (e.g., Ranger, what the heck is a "geybak"?) Sometimes, there will be cultures and customs that I've never heard of, plus the idea of kids leaving school for winter. I read a couple books where the author just peppers their writing with words from another language, such as in The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. I've seen entire books written in AAVE, like Ghetto Cowboy. I started studying the dialect a while ago and learning how it's different from SE, simply because language really interests me. There are also just ways that authors from different cultures tend to write; African writers seem to have more concise writing and less metaphor than a lot of American authors.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me