{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby Silverhart » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Can you type accurately without looking at the keyboard?
Nope. Not at all. Other than maybe a few words and with many mistakes. And very slowly. I remember taking typing classes in school, but my hands just don't seem to be made to fall into those positions.

What is one flaw in your writing that you have recently overcome?
Recently? Uh... none probably. I'm starting to get the difference between 'then' and 'than' down though, so I guess that's a good thing. But from an actual fiction writing perspective - I have no idea how to fix the mess that is my writing without copious amounts of editing. And even with editing it doesn't always come out the best.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby survira » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:57 pm

yes I can :) i've typed for so long, its just natural now.

uh, honestly, not really any. recently, at least. my grammar has improved significantly compared to a year ago though, hah
- infp-t | she/her | sagittarius | - ★。・: dms always open:・゚✩ x
════════════════════════════
♦♦♦ -- ━━ ● Image ● ━━ -- ♦♦♦
survira

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cocoa » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:10 am

Yea. I've been able to do it for years, since I was a kid. Just took me a year or so to learn - but I only type with one hand and the use the other for backspace/shift, which is odd. I can type pretty much blindfolded with minimal mistakes xD

recently overcome? nothing really. I've been told I use too many dashes in my writing (oh look up there I used one in the previous question) so I sorta need to work on that. I haven't had much success, lol.
cocoa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby inspiration. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:44 am

Here have this :3
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello, i'm Bella!
I love Hamilton,Heathers,
DEH and just musicals
in general! I love to read
and write. I gift people
a lot! ^w^
writing |trades | my auction

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
inspiration.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Pirate Dragon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:17 pm

I'm toooooooootaly normal here, definitely active, just pretend I'm a commoner

@*Bad Wolf* - Woah, that's a nice start! I feel like it has a few too many short sentences though, maybe making more compound sentences would help the flow? Otherwise it's pretty solid.
@inspiration. - I really liked the story you wrote! I think that Worst's criticism will really help the piece too, if you put it to use. I had a lot of the same concerns as they did.

Making everybody white, honestly!

Definitely. I make more mistakes when I actually AM looking at the keyboard.
I'm not really active here anymore. Please don't ask for my pets or OCs!
The Pirate Dragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby emoji movie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:48 pm

yeah i can type pretty accurately without looking at the keyboard. i typed this all out without looking
    at the keyboard. i think i'm pretty good at typing, as long as i'm not required to capitalize something
    if i have to capitalize things, it's a bit slower than what i can usually do. typing is just subconscious at
    this point. idek man, hopefully this doesn't sound cocky. ^^;

i can't think of anything recently? i know there's a lot of room for improvement, but i haven't written
    anything in a long time because i'm just stuck and frustrated every time i sit down to write. it's a chore
    now tbh. if anything, i'd say my grammar has improved greatly in the last year. i've learnt when to use
    'whom', the use of 'hanged' when referring to a person, commas after dialogue, etc.

one flaw i probably need to overcome is the copious amounts of inconsistencies. i seriously need to get
    a story outline if i'm writing huge stories, otherwise things change too often.
emoji movie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:56 am

I just saw someone on another website write a long post about why you shouldn't capitalise Pokémon names, and they specifically said not to get mad at them, and any argument against them was invalid and ignorant. They also said at the end of their post that people had personal reasons for not writing good quality stories, but it came off as if that person was coming up with excuses to not accept criticism. /rant
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:10 am

@Indigo
    That person sounds inexperienced and not at all ready for criticism...best to leave those types alone; I'd guess that they're really young and probably filled with self-loathing/feelings of inferiority. The thing I don't get is the Pokemon names. What's the big deal? It seems a lot like the Oxford comma to me, since there's no huge advantages or disadvantages to its use or disuse, so people should just do what they want.
Last edited by The Worst Username on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm not really into Pokémon nowadays, so I don't know what the official say on capitalizing vs. all lowercase is, but I could see it going either way. It depends on what you're using it as - is it a noun or a proper noun? If you're referring to the type or breed of Pokémon, then convention would have you write it all lowercase. Much as we might call a specific dog breed a terrier or poodle. But if the word refers to the specific name of an individual Pokémon you would capitalize the first letter. Kind of like if someone named their boxer dog, Boxer.
Plus, plenty of stories, myths and poems turn nouns into proper names, for any number of reasons. Sometimes it almost seems like it refers to an animal's last name (like Peter Rabbit), or it may serve as an honorific title; much as we would capitalize Professor or Mother (Coyote and Fox as well as many other animal characters from mythology and fables are a good example), or it could be a bit of poetic license, or it might just be that creature's actual name (like Toad from 'The Wind in the Willows').

Further complicating matters, the word Pokémon itself is a trademark, which means "Pokémon" should always be capitalized. I'm betting most of individual designs and names of the various critters are similarly trademarked or otherwise protected, which you could use as an excuse to capitalize them. If you're writing an essay you should definitely capitalize the word Pokémon, and perhaps even the various names of the different types. If you were writing a story that took place in a world where Pokémon is not a trademark, but an actual type of animal, then honestly you could go either way. It doesn't really matter so long as you're consistent with what style you choose.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:38 am

Worst, thanks for calling me Indigo! Most people call me Nitro, even though "Indigo" is the focal point of my username.

The thread in question.
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me