( ` kalon development zone | a thread 4 kal tips ! )

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

do you play an instrument ?

i used to !
24%
yes , and i love it !
25%
yes , but i don't really anymore .
11%
yes , and i hate it .
1%
no , but i really wish i did ! !
22%
no , not at all , never want to .
8%
i'm learning , not the best .
9%

Total votes : 85

Re: ( ` kalon development zone | a thread 4 kal tips ! )

Postby defunctaccount123 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm

Ocean Plumeria wrote:Any tips on wining a kalon? im trying to get my first c:

Re-asking c:
not even a furry anymore goodbye cs!
i had fun here though sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
defunctaccount123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fruitvale » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:07 pm

freed : you can find the thread here ! check out the ' colored in ' section and that's where you can adopt a kalon ! if you need help or tips on obtaining one , feel free to come back as we're all more than happy to assist a new memeber <33
happysparrow : im . actually going to cry hghk what a radical kal ? ? i have two ideas ; both are relatively similar but different in some ways !
maybe he could be a very vague and straight - to - the - point type of guy , only doing the things he likes to ? a lone soul who fights only for himself ?
or potentially a guy who talks a lot but gives too much info without knowing ? like , getting comfortable easily ? a friendly guy in general but he doesnt rly know hes making friends , ,
tyrannical : nice ! ! glad we could help you <33 cant wait to see her around
fruitvale

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peppermintleo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:09 pm

@Ocean Plumeria - Uhm.. tbh I can't help much. I've only won one Kalon, but my tip is be original, be dedicated? I won my Violet because we came up with a unique idea that put us apart from the other competitors and put a lot of effort into our forms. Sadly, I can't offer that much more. I'm better with impress mes than short contests. I rarely win basic comps because I can't get out my ideas like I usually can.
call me pure / he-him pronouns / transboy
ImageImage Image
peppermintleo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby defunctaccount123 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:13 pm

benji.bark wrote:@Ocean Plumeria - Uhm.. tbh I can't help much. I've only won one Kalon, but my tip is be original, be dedicated? I won my Violet because we came up with a unique idea that put us apart from the other competitors and put a lot of effort into our forms. Sadly, I can't offer that much more. I'm better with impress mes than short contests. I rarely win basic comps because I can't get out my ideas like I usually can.

Thank you!
not even a furry anymore goodbye cs!
i had fun here though sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
defunctaccount123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby happysparrow » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:23 pm

benji.bark wrote:@happysparrow - sorry I'm unfamiliar with that movie, so I can't quite help, but I can help develop darker characters as I have a soft spot for them if you're willing to give me the bare basics?

☂ . wrote:[size=80][center]
happysparrow : im . actually going to cry hghk what a radical kal ? ? i have two ideas ; both are relatively similar but different in some ways !
maybe he could be a very vague and straight - to - the - point type of guy , only doing the things he likes to ? a lone soul who fights only for himself ?
or potentially a guy who talks a lot but gives too much info without knowing ? like , getting comfortable easily ? a friendly guy in general but he doesnt rly know hes making friends , ,

@benji.bark - So in the most sfw way I can mention it without going into too many details, it's a repoman for people who couldn't afford the very expensive payment plans and didn't read the small print .. on organ transplants :")

@☂. - Haha, thank you !! I was just watching it today and it all clicked that it was the perfect job for this Kal :"D

But oo, I like both of those ! The first definitely because of the juxtaposition to his "job self", but the second definitely flows into it well. I'm definitely leaning towards the first, however !! 0: That sounds like something that would be a lot of fun to write and work with ! I think I also want to incorporate the "doesn't realize he's making friends" piece, however :0c

Thank you !!!!
happysparrow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Trphlthdl » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:06 pm

Ocean Plumeria wrote:

Re-asking c:

For short contests with small questions and limited form additions, I find that a funny and/or unique idea often works best. Come up with something creative, and if possible while staying relative try to tie it to something else showing just a bit more of their life. Nothing detailed, just a quick mention.

Impress me forms are often won by proving you'll care for the character, and coming up with a unique idea. Cute scenes and likeable characters are a must.

In any contest make sure the form flows and is honest, not stiff and unyielding. Play to your strengths, and be the best you can be. You won't win your first contest, and maybe not your second third or fourth either, but with practice, patience, and determination, it can be done.
x
xxxxxxx
🌿🌿🌿
trp | they/them | avatar
feel free to pm or send a trade at any time, although i'm not typically super active
i'm most interested in c$, mushroom or flower themed pets & items, as well as trading
for recreated pets! I've also recently started dnd, and am usually looking for art.
🌿🌿🌿
Trphlthdl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wileyfangs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:15 pm

Trixyr wrote:
Ocean Plumeria wrote:

Re-asking c:

For short contests with small questions and limited form additions, I find that a funny and/or unique idea often works best. Come up with something creative, and if possible while staying relative try to tie it to something else showing just a bit more of their life. Nothing detailed, just a quick mention.

Impress me forms are often won by proving you'll care for the character, and coming up with a unique idea. Cute scenes and likeable characters are a must.

In any contest make sure the form flows and is honest, not stiff and unyielding. Play to your strengths, and be the best you can be. You won't win your first contest, and maybe not your second third or fourth either, but with practice, patience, and determination, it can be done.

@Ocean Plumeria: Adding to this,,,

The best thing I've found, at least in terms of long contests is of course to be original.
    If there are a few others going with the same name, pick a new name.
    Do whatever you can to make your character stand out from the rest.

Now this is no, quick easy tip, because you will lose quite a lot. But for every loss, you can use to re-imagine, re-form and retry.
    A notable piece of advice I gained from a very wise friend was that instead of making form bigger and filled with lists of things that were add-ons to the character, that I focus instead on the character I created and I expanded on the content rather than the add ons.

This is not to dis those who use those however, but my way of thinking of it is this. Why use things that don't connect to your character's story, but are essentially details? Like "I'm a rogue gang leader, but I like the color blue." It just doesn't connect but you can hint at these things through content. But that's just my own opinion.

But for real just standout. If there are a hundred Jamies, don't be a Jamie. Be a Raul.
    Who's Raul?
    What Raul do?
    Is he good? Is he bad?
    What's his story?

Answer all of these and you got a decent start.

Another thing is to NOT get intimidated! Don't let others take the fun out of the contest for you!
    I do multiple contests at a time when I feel especially inspired because my way of reasoning is if I go for more than one
    eventually I'll win something. Be it experience, an hm or even an RU. And even if I don't win anything, I had fun to do it.
    Never let anyone take that fun away from you.
Wileyfangs

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ser » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:57 pm

this is a really neat thread; i had no idea it existed !
    i'll definitely be checking back to post here; i love
    hearing about other people's kals, and i'd love to
    share feedback/ideas too.
ser

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ωolfie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:16 pm

hey everyone!! i kind of need some job ideas for my kiddos. they're all in the modern time period and still in school/college, but I've been thinking of getting them a job, but i'm not sure if they should get one or just stick to being a student? i'd like some inputs and possibly job ideas !^^ I'll put lil personality summaries to give you a better idea of who they are!

this is kyrou & he's a male,

his personality is sorta everywhere? but he's super quiet and kinda hides in the shadows. he isn't really 'shy,' he just doesn't like to talk to people because he's p awkward. he has a hard time opening up to people and will only crack if he shares an intimate friendship/relationship with them.

he does like talking to his closest friend & doesn't stray out of his friend group often. he's generally extremely kind and generous, pretty pleasent to talk to at times. kyrou has some sense of humor but doesn't show it that often, and only really cracks small smiles and soft chuckles.

kyrou seems p quiet, obedient, & submissive at first, but he used to have an extremely fiery temper, which he still carries to this day. over the past years though, he's learned to control his anger, unless someone crosses over the line. and if they do, kyrou would prolly try and strangle them. he's pretty protective of his friends, being the responsible one of the group. but be careful, his patience has a limit.

kyrou often acts sarcastic and annoyed around his more noisy and chaotic friends, but he doesn't mean it & truly cares for all of his friends, even if they're an extreme nuisance.

he's also really artistic and creative, and he loves drawing, painting, anything of the sort. he's an art student now and aspires to be a famous artist but i'm struggling to decide if he should have a part-time job or just stay as a student for now ;n;

this is shelbie & she's a female,

she's p much a lowkey highkey tsundere.

she often plays leader in everything, whether you like it or not. she tends to be in charge most of the time, and she'll fight her way to get to the top. she has often been called overly bossy or controlling, but she doesn't do it on purpose and tries to fix that.

shelbie is super sarcastic around everyone, and pretty aggressive around strangers as well. she'll glare at you if you just slightly bump into her side accidentally. she usually has insult nicknames for her friends, such as 'birdbrain,' but she does deeply care for all of her friends. shelbie is incredibly loyal, willing to put up a fight against anyone who dared to upset her friends.

shelbie is pretty small in size, but don't underestimate her because of her sweet appearence. she's standoffish towards people she's never met before, and often holds grudges. she also has a bad temper, threatening to spill at any given moment. she absolutely despises anyone who belittles or treats her like a child, often firing back insults at them. she makes many assumptions though, and usually act upon those assumptions, which often ends up being false.

however, despite her flaws, shelbie loves to talk to her friends, even if that means rolling her eyes constantly at them. she does have a good sense of humor, even if she does groan at cheesy puns. however, she could get extremely clingy if it comes to a romantic partner or even a close friend. she wants full attention, so she won't have it if you 'listen' to her while texting to someone else. however, shelbie does get flustered and embarrased easily, leading to many blushes, and lots of denial.

so, that's her! again, i'm not sure if i just wanna make her stay a student till she's older, or get a job for her ono""

i appreciate any and all comments/ideas! i have a few other kals i didn't mention here, but i'll bring them at my next stop ;w;

@ocean plumeria: i doubt i'll be much help as some of my kalons i recieved from fairly simple competitions. but yeah, having a unique, charming idea usually works out good. if you see a flower/leafy kalon design, try not to make them a gardener, you know? really step away from the sterotypical ideas and dig deep into your idea box. don't feel pressured to have to write 5+ paragraphs, though. if you feel it isn't long enough, don't try to force in irrelevant sentences as it makes it awkward and unnatural. just try to let everything flow out how it wants, even if you need to brainstorm for a while. though do try to make it somewhat descriptive. flesh out your character's story and personality more. i see imagining them in specific situations usually helps you get a better idea for their character ;0 i mainly focused on writing competitions here, but i hope this helps, one way or another!^^

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

x
x

████
████
x
x

x
x

` credit ` art credit ` my kals ` she/her ` link ` link ` link
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
❝ //. taking a break ! -- ❞
x
x

x
x

██
██

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ωolfie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peppermintleo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:53 pm

@wolfie -
Kyrou looks kind of like the part-time librarian/helper or waiter type to me. It's not artistic, but its a job that a college student would do.

Shelbie on the other hand could totally be a personal blogger xD Maybe makeup or shopping hauls, how to deal with friends, ASMR, anything. She looks like she'd know what she's talking about and knows what she likes and is very experienced in it. Something that doesn't have to deal with annoying people on a daily basis, and in an area she can control the amount of hate she takes in, and the amount of idiots that come around.
call me pure / he-him pronouns / transboy
ImageImage Image
peppermintleo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me