❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:23 pm

Are you doing Nano? What'll your story be about?
Yup! It's about a group of characters trying to survive in a world affected by a strange space anomaly that suspended most of the galaxy from time, the world was on the edge of the anomaly, therefore the world itself was not knocked out of reality but the majority of living things have disappeared. Two characters struggle to reach out to a third who is alone in a city far from theirs. Afterwards they are found by a group that had foreknowledge of the event and prepared for it. Later they learn that the group is planning on eliminating useless or weak people and taking over the world.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Simonpet » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:43 pm

@everyone: Thank you for welcoming me! I hope to share a few of my stories and maybe get inspiration for more. Also, I'll make sure to watch out for those carrots. Are the baby carrots alright, though? I happen to be fond of them.

@The Worst Username: Thank you! Explaining my book is a long story (literally--it's already 13 chapters and counting) but I'll try to condense it. So the story is set in early Renaissance Germany and is about a king's attempt to avoid poisoning. He's naturally paranoid and when his worst fear comes true (someone tries to poison him), he forces everyone around him to set off on a quest to ensure that such an incident can never happen again.

How many characters have killed? And have you brought some back to life in another story just to be eventually killed again?
I'm not a big fan of killing off my characters, but for some stories it's absolutely necessary. For example, in Create-A-Clan on Chicken Smoothie, I've killed off two characters (Dawnstorm and Grayfur) and am about to let two more (Acornstream and Bramblebush) die for the sake of drama and plot. In my actual stories, I can't recall a single time when I've killed off a character. Also, none of my characters will ever be brought back if they die, unless you count Starclan or the afterlife as "bringing them back."

I'm not doing NaNo mostly because I have too many commitments already. But my stories include several fanfiction series and many stories about my characters (both original and from CS).
Simonpet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sparrow; » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:20 pm

Thanks for the Nano advice everyone! I'm developing the story a bit more now, and I might do character sheets because you've all recommended it. Are there any particular character sheets you recommend, or is it better to make your own or something? I've never used them before, tbh. I generally just have a document on Drive with a bunch of random lists and descriptions for each character.

How many characters have killed? And have you brought some back to life in another story just to be eventually killed again?
I don't know an exact number. Main characters in major stories only, probably less than ten. Including minor stories and/or minor characters? Hundreds... but I've never brought a character back in a different story before. Actually, in the story I'm planning for Nano I'm going to kill off all of the MC's friends and family. Fun times ahead!

@Simonpet - A very late welcome to you! I see you've already had the warnings c:

Yes, but I'm setting a personal goal of 30k words rather than the full 50k. I want to write as much as possible but I know that even 30k is a stretch for me. My story idea isn't fully developed and I doubt I'll post it anywhere, but it's about a group of people who can shapeshift into any animals, or people, they've killed. There's a lot of murder in it... but yeah, should be fun!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
text text text text text
text text text text text
text text text text text

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
link goes here | link goes here
link goes here | link goes here
signature credit
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
text text text text text text text text text

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sparrow;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby passione » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:18 pm

I've had this plot in my head for around three years now. Essentially, the main character's mother was a fallen Valkyrie and her father was a necromancer who was saved, leading to her mother's banishment. She was abandoned at an orphanage when she was around four years old because her mother died in a fire and her father never wanted a daughter anyway.

She meets two other kids at the orphanage she was left at and the three of them end up getting adopted into the royal family of the realm, which is where the real story begins.

Amelia (the main character), is the third princess and fourth heir to the throne of Masdurett. She's highly intelligent and has tons of arrogance to match. She tends to overestimate herself. The story follows her days as a princess until the first princess' tenth birthday. Amelia was twelve at that time and the king and queen were killed by a demon that came in. The first prince was later possessed by the demon. The story continues and it seems like everything is fine but over the course of the next seven years, the prince seems less and less like himself until he eventually tries to kill his siblings.

I'm deciding on where I want it to end.
passione

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ! honeysuckle ! » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:53 pm

Arggghhh... stress! Stress! Stress! What are your best tips on writing fast?!
! honeysuckle !

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:07 pm

I.... Don't actually really want to know, to be honest XD
And no :p

Woogwoo Wren wrote:Let's just say I've killed lots. And have at least one more death planned for the book I am currently writing *grins evilly at Ranger*
Donchu dare bruh

Simonpet wrote:Hello! I'd like to join this club. I'm Simonpet, a person who is currently writing several fanfictions which will probably be in progress forever, as well as writing a book.
Kia ora, welcome along! Join the club and watch out for carrots XP

tuttifrutti000 wrote:Arggghhh... stress! Stress! Stress! What are your best tips on writing fast?!
Sit yo butt down ASAP and DO IT!
I feel you though; I NEED TO GET MY STORY EDITED AND SENT IN BY FRIDAY AAAAH

Nope, probably not tbh :p

The Worst Username wrote:Also hey who wants to read me trying to get out of writer's block by writing some one-shot about a fox/it's actually not so bad for writer's block? just kinda rambly:
why don't I ever post my stuff wrote:The barren trees flash past her, the trail between them opening wide like a great cougar’s maw. She kicks up dust as flecks of snow start to fall from the clouds; perhaps they’ll thicken into a blanket that’ll cover her tracks come morning.
She so badly wants the snow to cover her pawsteps, her little stamps in the dirt. Then, she would be like a shadow, a phantom, gone without a trace, so her captors wouldn’t know whether she ran, whether she sprouted wings and flew, whether the ground split and ate her up. They would simply know that she had gone.
They’re her captors no more. She, little red fox, grandmaster of trickery, bearer of deceit traveling on small black paws, has run. Never again will she be with a roof of concrete over her head. Never again will she be trapped in darkness during daytime. Never again will she cower before one of those disgusting, furless, pink-flesh creatures. Never again.
She races away, the trees thickening around her, the path dwindling into dark shadows and low branches and stabbing underbrush. It’s all for the better; she, little red fox, grandmaster of trickery, can doge such branches and leap over such underbrush. She wears the darkness as a cloak, letting it envelope her, guide her, to freedom.
She’s never been in this place before. Some of the scents are familiar, almost: the smell of rabbits thinned by wintertime, the smell of voles and birds and trees and dirt, but many are new. None of it matters. She is off. She is running. She, little red fox, is free.

*jumps into shame corner*
Hey, that's not too bad! Sometimes it feels like the flow/rhythm could be adjusted slightly, but other than that it's actually pretty good! I love your use of wording; makes it obvious that she's not human, she doesn't think like us and doesn't react like us. She's wild. Little red fox is free c;
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:20 am

The Worst Username wrote:
Also hey who wants to read me trying to get out of writer's block by writing some one-shot about a fox/it's actually not so bad for writer's block? just kinda rambly:
why don't I ever post my stuff wrote:The barren trees flash past her, the trail between them opening wide like a great cougar’s maw. She kicks up dust as flecks of snow start to fall from the clouds; perhaps they’ll thicken into a blanket that’ll cover her tracks come morning.
She so badly wants the snow to cover her pawsteps, her little stamps in the dirt. Then, she would be like a shadow, a phantom, gone without a trace, so her captors wouldn’t know whether she ran, whether she sprouted wings and flew, whether the ground split and ate her up. They would simply know that she had gone.
They’re her captors no more. She, little red fox, grandmaster of trickery, bearer of deceit traveling on small black paws, has run. Never again will she be with a roof of concrete over her head. Never again will she be trapped in darkness during daytime. Never again will she cower before one of those disgusting, furless, pink-flesh creatures. Never again.
She races away, the trees thickening around her, the path dwindling into dark shadows and low branches and stabbing underbrush. It’s all for the better; she, little red fox, grandmaster of trickery, can doge such branches and leap over such underbrush. She wears the darkness as a cloak, letting it envelope her, guide her, to freedom.
She’s never been in this place before. Some of the scents are familiar, almost: the smell of rabbits thinned by wintertime, the smell of voles and birds and trees and dirt, but many are new. None of it matters. She is off. She is running. She, little red fox, is free.

*jumps into shame corner*

Pulls you out of the shame corner.
It's beautiful. The description is wonderful I can easily see the little fox running for her life. I want to know where she's been and how she was captured and what happens next!
The only thing I have is technical. You use captors twice very close together and grandmaster of trickery. That just caught my eye a bit as a personal rule I tend to avoid doing that. Not really a big deal, just thought I'd point it out.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:41 am

Sparrow wrote:Are there any particular character sheets you recommend, or is it better to make your own or something? I've never used them before, tbh. I generally just have a document on Drive with a bunch of random lists and descriptions for each character.

I think whatever works for you? Some people really like the hyper-detailed sheets that ask everything from a character's blood type to how much they can bench press; other people like to just jot down some notes about personality. I personally try to write down each personality trait, how they got that trait, and how it affects them; their personal history; their relationships (platonic or familial or romantic); their quirks, mannerisms, and way of speaking; how their character will change over the story; and just random info (left-handed, liberal, hair type 4a).

That's a really exhaustive way of getting every character's person down to the last bit, though, and it's excessive for everything other than super character-centric stories. Maybe try making and filling out a roleplay form? Or if lists work, that's totally fine.

tutti wrote:Arggghhh... stress! Stress! Stress! What are your best tips on writing fast?!

Forget about perfection and just write everything you can. You can revise it all later.

@Song and Ranger
    Ah, thanks for the advice! I'll try to work on all that.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:46 am

Aaah this thread has been so active, and I've just been stressing out over school haha whoops.

tuttifrutti000 wrote:Arggghhh... stress! Stress! Stress! What are your best tips on writing fast?!

Just sit down and write your butt off. Don't try to be perfect or eloquent, just write anything! You can go back and correct it and change things later!

@Simonpet
Bit of a late welcome from me, but avoid carrots! Can I ask what your current projects are about? I'd love to hear about them ^^

@worst
That was beautiful! The repetition of 'little red fox' and 'gradmaster of trickery' are really effective. I feel like if you put it into stanzas it might make a really pretty free verse poem, but that's just me ^^'

Still been neglecting 10,000 Doors, it's been swallowed up in all my school work, but I'm going to try and get Door 8 written by this weekend (don't hold me to that though ^^').
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WHEN'DHEGO?!?! » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:19 pm

I'm currently trying to write the next season of a show that was COMPLETELY unfairly canceled, but I have a bit of writer's block now, and my writing buddy is gone :(
I hope I can finish this project all the way through.

As an inspiration I'm trying to translate TV episodes and other stuff into the language I'm learning (it's also the main way I'm learning it).
Anyone else do that?
Merry Christmas from The Flowey Fanclub PLEASE JOIN
They/Them
Pet's name: The One and Only Ghost of Christmas Past
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
WHEN'DHEGO?!?!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups