Writer's Branch

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: Writer's Branch

Postby momincharge » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:41 pm

avisor its basically just my two gay kiddos who are exact opposites like each other and it gets really complicated xd i would share a link but it contains swear words which is against cs rules.
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
───────────────────────────

gaybestedgydweebdimbocodeshoprpcharaspound

────────────────── A N D S H E S C R A Z Y
┌──────────────────────────┐

hey, i'm arisu. call me ari, jaid, jadyn, jace, or anything you
wanna. i'm an idiotic teenager with a habit of changing her signature
a lot. cya later, luv y'all. make sure to check out my species!

└──────────────────────────┘
momincharge

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby avisor » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:32 pm

Interesting!

arisu (or anyone who feels like answering) this may seem like a weird question, but why do people use swear words in stories? Is it to warn off kids so they don’t read themes above their age groups, or to make interactions more realistic? ...or why?
avisor

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:45 pm

some people do it because they think it enriches the character's personality or it's truer to life. I think some people do it because that's the way they talk. Some people probably do it to be rebellious. Others probably use it to display that a character that doesn't usually swear is under pressure or really upset. Honestly I don't think it's a very good way to portray a character or represent your story.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby momincharge » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:13 pm

avisor i usually put swear words in to portray the characters personality - like in the one book i was working on, the point of view switches every chapter between the two characters who like each other. the older character who is named sawyer, swears almost every sentence and the younger character, mikai, doesn't often swear unless he's scared or he's telling a story otherwise he'll change his words. for example, if mikai was going to say hell, he would say "hey" so if he were going to say "wth" he would say "what the hey" if that makes any sense?
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌
▌▪ ▌▪ ▌

gaybestedgydweebdimbocodeshoprpcharaspound

────────────────── A N D S H E S C R A Z Y
┌──────────────────────────┐

hey, i'm arisu. call me ari, jaid, jadyn, jace, or anything you
wanna. i'm an idiotic teenager with a habit of changing her signature
a lot. cya later, luv y'all. make sure to check out my species!

└──────────────────────────┘
momincharge

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby avisor » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:00 am

Wow, thread just went silent :(

Does anyone have advice on making a character growing up more interesting to read about? There's one character in my story who starts out as a little kid (around 3). At first, he loves his family, but later his brother becomes king, and he comes to realize that his brother isn't a good king; then, he ends up dueling his brother and wins the throne. I'm having some trouble transitioning between the 3-year-old who loves his family and the teen who fights his brother. I want it to be a gradual thing where his discontentment slowly builds up over a few chapters. Does anyone know a reasonable/interesting way to bring the character and the story between the two points without using a huge time skip?
avisor

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:07 am

I have no idea how to help you avi, maybe try out some different ideas and write some different scents and see how it goes?

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby avisor » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Good idea! Do you think it would be better to focus on ordinary, "flash of life" type moments or look at more pivotal things, like just important/epic/traumatic scenes for the character as he grows up?
avisor

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:47 pm

I'd try both, but really I think leaning towards the pivotal things would draw the reader in more and explain things better. You could also mix them together, having him doing something normal/typical for him when something huge interrupts his day.

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:13 pm

avisor wrote:Ranger: yes indeed! Is your username by any chance from Lord of the Rings? Or somewhere else?
It was inspired by a few things, actually! But yes, Lord of the Rings was one of them cx

avisor wrote:General question: what’s the longest piece you’ve ever written?
It was about 70k words or something? I actually can't remember; I could be /way/ wrong XD

AlphaLeonis wrote:Ranger of the North; I read through a few of your posts and I love your writing style! So much imagery and very emotive.
Thank you so much!! Glad you like it :D <3

AlphaLeonis wrote:I just thought I'd share an entry I've made for an adoptable that I am absolutely in love with! It's certainly not my best piece of writing, but I'm happy with the concept.

Read it here![/size]
I'll check it out soon!

I wish I could help, Avi, but I actually have no clue c': Looks like Free had some good ideas, though. Good luck!!
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Distantcrackers » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:21 am

avisor wrote:Wow, thread just went silent :(

Does anyone have advice on making a character growing up more interesting to read about? There's one character in my story who starts out as a little kid (around 3). At first, he loves his family, but later his brother becomes king, and he comes to realize that his brother isn't a good king; then, he ends up dueling his brother and wins the throne. I'm having some trouble transitioning between the 3-year-old who loves his family and the teen who fights his brother. I want it to be a gradual thing where his discontentment slowly builds up over a few chapters. Does anyone know a reasonable/interesting way to bring the character and the story between the two points without using a huge time skip?

For the time skip thing, try looking for stories with something similar to what you're saying. You could see how they did that (and besides, they had an editor, that would point out their mistakes) and you can see what you can do, and the things you should avoid or do. Sorry if this wasn't waht you're looking for, but reading and learning from others, (and their mistakes) can really help your writing
Distantcrackers

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me