No Rest for the Wicked or Moral

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

No Rest for the Wicked or Moral - Chapter Five - Author's No

Postby Nocte Luna » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:47 pm

Dear Reader,

I’m very comfortable right now. I’ve got on fuzzy socks, fleece lined leggings, and a super soft and lightweight shirt. Needless to say, get comfy. Re-read some of this, rediscover things you didn’t realize before. At the current point in time with part of chapter six complete, I’ve got 4,287 words. (Subtract 12 words, because I put CHAPTER _______ at the beginning of each chapter so that when I scroll through, it’s easier to find different points in time). I know it’s not the most riveting story right now, but once you get to chapter six, things really start getting interesting.

By the way, I’m very conscious of word choice. Every word has a pretty specific purpose. Let’s go back early on, as you’re re-reading, and note the use of girl vs. young woman.

Anyways, I’m already part of the way through writing chapter six. I’m very ahead of schedule, but I also woke up at 4:30 this morning and finished chapter 5. Trust me, I didn’t intend on waking up at 4:30, and I wish I had gotten more sleep. But hey, when the muse strikes, run with it.

You know the drill. Comments and questions below, critiques get PMed.

Love from,
Nocte Luna
-hunters/equitation-great comet-
[29 gifts sent to other players-10 gifts sent to me-1 mutual gifting]
There is no such thing as random, there is always a probability of something, no matter how small or unlikely, happening.
Nocte Luna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

No Rest for the Wicked or Moral - Chapter Six

Postby Nocte Luna » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:40 pm

All representatives of the regions of the nation waited for the royal family to arrive. The dinner that evening was a final formal event before all delegations were required to return to their respective homes.

The king entered with the queen, followed by the princess, then by one of the heads of guard. Each found their respective seat, with the queen at the foot of the table, the king at head, the princess in the middle, and the head of the guard to the right of the king. An empty remained for the other head of the guard, but all still chose to take their seats.

For a while, mouths were filled with food rather than chatter, but as stomachs got fuller, conversation began to flower.
Geneva was seated near the delegates from the (blah), and all engaged in polite conversation, avoiding the topics that plagued everyone's mind.

The girl began to look around as the conversation turned more political, making eye contact with Captain Blakeley for what seemed to be the twelfth time that evening. She raised a dark eyebrow at him, daring him to speak, before turning back to the duchess and engaging in conversation about the current political state.

Much, much later in the evening, many of the delegates found themselves either extremely tired or intoxicated. Geneva, who despised the taste of alcohol, was still in a sober state, and found only the duchess of (strange and sweet), Captain Blakeley, and herself remaining in the dining hall. The duchess excused herself, leaving just the two. Captain Blakeley stood, shifted forward onto his arms that rested on top of the high-backed chair. Geneva was still sitting, hands tucked in her lap.

"Captain."

"Princess Geneva."

“I have remained here to ask you why you kept looking at me throughout dinner. I thought it highly inappropriate.”

“I wished to meet with you and speak with you in private.”

Geneva frowned slightly, looking up towards the man at last. His blue eyes rested on her and she kept her expression.

“Why? We have nothing to discuss.”

“But I believe we do. Before you say anything else, this matter is involving the death of your brother.”

“No. That event has come and gone. My brother has passed, nothing can or ever will change that.” Geneva’s voice shook slightly from both anger and sadness.

“But the circumstances are still very real. You see, since his death, I have been investigating the reason he died. Do you know, my lady, why he died?”

“Well…I suppose..natural causes or stress could have caused it…” She frowned. “What do you believe it is, Captain?”

“I believe it to be murder, my lady.” Captain Blakely moved around the table until he was poised against the chair next to the princess.

“What kind of warrants do you have to support this argument, Captain? Murder seems extreme.”

With that, Captain Blakely produced a small parchment journal, flipping until he found a specific page.

“First of all, I’m sure you remember your brother’s condition in the days before his death. Was his health deteriorating?”
Geneva nodded slowly, still wary of the Head of the Guard.

“Well, that could indicate the use of poison – it begins to break down the body from the inside, causing one’s immune system to begin to fail or shut down completely. Secondly, though many do appreciate your brother and family, there are still a select few who dislike the royal family. Some saw him as too strong of a political figure. That’s certainly a potential motive. Next, there’s a chance-“

Geneva held up her hand, stopping his speech. “Captain, that’s enough. You have no evidence. All your ‘evidence’ is based on hypotheticals that could be true, or completely false. I’m not going to investigate something that may not even be true in the first place.”

The young woman rose from her chair, placing her napkin on the table and turning towards the door to leave.

“Goodnight, Captain Blakely.”

Geneva took only a few steps when she felt a hand clasp her left wrist and spin her around until she once again facing the captain.

“Princess Geneva, please, help me bring you some peace of mind.” Blakely’s voice was softer and more pleading.

Geneva ripped her hand away, disgusted at the lack of personal space.

“Do not ever touch me again, or my father will hear from me and you will be removed from your position. This is a matter that is not worth discussing again. I have chosen not to let this grow into a larger issue. Leave me alone, Captain. I want no part of this. Good night.”

With that, Geneva hurried out of the room, not stopping her quick footsteps until she was back in her room with the door locked.
There is no such thing as random, there is always a probability of something, no matter how small or unlikely, happening.
Nocte Luna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

No Rest for the Wicked or Moral - Chapter Six - Author's Not

Postby Nocte Luna » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Dear Reader,

No one hates Captain Blakely more than I do, trust me. Blegh. He’s pretty gross. For all my literary people out there, this is definitely a character similar to Alec D’Urberville (for my less-read readers, Alec D’Urberville is generally a creepy and nasty guy) .

So here’s where there’s actually action and things start to get rolling. Trust me, once you’re at this point, you’ll get a lot more stuff and want a lot more.

Believe it or not, I actually finished this chapter the same day as chapter five. Usually I’ll write and post on the same day, but I’ve had a lot of ideas and inspiration lately, so all these chapters are coming along really nicely. I’ll probably even start chapter seven.

For now, comments and questions below, critique via PM.

Love from,
Nocte Luna
Nocte Luna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: No Rest for the Wicked or Moral

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:16 pm

This is so cool! :D I love your style, and it's a great book already! :D

Geneva's really cool; I love her personality. She seems the type of person who has earned the skill of being quiet and calm, but can also be a holy terror and won't back down if she feels deeply about something c:

Is it bad that I quite like Blakely? He seems okay~
...for now O_O

I would've posted earlier, but got mixed up and thought I wasn't allowed XD
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nocte Luna » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:17 am

Ranger of the North wrote:
This is so cool! :D I love your style, and it's a great book already! :D

Geneva's really cool; I love her personality. She seems the type of person who has earned the skill of being quiet and calm, but can also be a holy terror and won't back down if she feels deeply about something c:

Is it bad that I quite like Blakely? He seems okay~
...for now O_O

I would've posted earlier, but got mixed up and thought I wasn't allowed XD

Thank you so much! It's been really wonderful writing this!

Geneva seemed pretty cookie-cutter when I was writing her, but as I started to flesh her out, she's become one of my favorites and one of the easiest to write.

For now, you can like Blakely, but I've already got reasons to hate him that readers simply don't know about. ;)

(And it's okay, if anyone else who wants to comment/ask questions/etc. want to post, this is a notice that you definitely can! Any sort of comments make my day, I'm just glad to see people enjoying this!)
Nocte Luna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

No Rest for the Wicked or Moral - Chapter Seven

Postby Nocte Luna » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:12 pm

Another sleepless night passed, clouded with nightmares that left Geneva with tear tracks dripping down her face when she woke herself up in a panic. After the sixth nightmare, Geneva stopped altogether and wandered her way down the hall to her study in an attempt to focus on something.

Her candle that had she had brought with her was just beginning to fade when the light of the sun began to gleam through the window. The young woman left her study, heading back down the hall to her room to change for the day. Perhaps the early start was a good thing, some light reading and early breakfast never hurt anyone.

It was the kind of day that required a favorite dress. Geneva’s favorite was not pink, but her favorite dress, which made her dark skin glow, was a pink rose color, and the skirt looked it was made of rose petals. It was a fitting dress for a morning spent walking through the gardens.

Somehow, the princess managed to slip into her corset and skirts before a maid came along to clean the upper floor and help Geneva with the corset. It was an awful process, and one Geneva dreaded every day, but it had to be done.

Geneva picked a calcite bracelet from her jewelry box, fastening the bracelet. Each bead was made of a thin layer of the pink calcite, which her mother had always warned her about every time she saw the beautiful bracelet. It was delicate enough to shatter if dropped, which made Geneva a little anxious. Luckily, she was not especially clumsy.

The princess’ breakfast was a silent affair, with only her sitting in the large dining hall, enjoying her warmed bread and fruit in peace.

Wrapping the white cloak she had brought around her, Geneva headed outside onto the walkway, intending to start in the gardens closest to the mountains. She headed around the corner, making her way to one of the many staircases that led to the elevated path. This particular stairway was for when the king or queen returned home from long journeys and wished for a formal entrance without being too formal. As she began to draw closer to the staircase, she heard voices behind her. In particular, she heard Captain Blakely, loudest of all.

Geneva sighed, preparing for another ‘discussion’ with the captain, but the sound of rushing feet stopped her in her tracks.

“My lady, duck!” “Princess!” “Get down!” The cries of the guards warned Geneva, and she tucked her head closer to her chest. Something whizzed over her head, and Geneva scurried away, closer to the wall. She looked up once again to see a man wearing a black cloak and mask racing by, down the very staircase Geneva intended to use, pursued by a multitude of guards including the captain.

Geneva raced over to the balcony, watching as Captain Blakely took a long stride, reaching for the intruder’s cloak, grabbing it, and pulling the man to the ground. The guards surrounded the man, quickly confiscating his weapons and tying his hands together.

“Take him back to headquarters. He’ll sit in prison there.” Blakely commanded, sending off three of the men. Turning back to the castle, he bowed. “My lady.” The other guards remaining followed suit, murmuring the same words and looking back up at the princess.

For a second, Geneva hesitated, then sunk into a curtsy. She made her way down the steps, tipping her chin up. About twenty feet away from the group of guards, she stopped.

“Thank you for your service. What you have done today will be noted and reflected upon you positively. For helping preserve the life of the royal family, I thank you. I was in danger, and you all did what you could to help keep me safe. If there is to meeting about such an incident, I will speak highly of you. Now, if you will excuse me, I was going to take a walk.”

“Princess Geneva, if I may..”

Geneva calmly turned. “Yes, Captain?”

“I believe a guard should accompany you, just for safety. Until your father deems it unnecessary, I think your safety is more important than some alone time.”

“That is alright with me. I’ll take Gley with me.” Geneva turned back to the gardens, heading off with a guard trailing behind her.
After a few minutes of walking through the roses, the princess posed her question. “What happened, exactly?”

Gley, a familiar companion of Geneva’s, responded honestly. “I was waiting at the Grand Staircase for someone to come so I could change positions. All of a sudden I heard running footsteps. I figured it was a messenger, but when I turned the corner, it was the cloaked man. He tried to go around me and get to the stairs, but the guard who I was with kept him away from the staircase. Whoever he was, he had some nice knives, he tried to cut both my partner and I. When he realized he couldn’t get through, he took off, and all the guards by the throne room and dining hall started after him. My partner stayed in case he returned, but I followed after him. Captain Blakely was patrolling the perimeter of the castle, and he came up the formal entrance as fast as he could when he saw that man. That’s when we all turned the corner and saw you. He threw a knife without pausing, it was terrifying. We tried to warn you, and obviously it worked. You had the right idea getting out of the way, because he kept heading towards you then tried to get down the stairs. I think you saw the rest.”

Geneva nodded. Her brain was able to process the events, but everything leading up to what could have meant her death were unsure in her mind.

She continued through the gardens, taking her time and stopping to see her favorite flowers. Gley was quiet as usual. He had never been very talkative, which Geneva appreciated, especially when she wanted time to herself to think.

The dark haired girl passed by the graveyard quickly, not wanting to stay nearby the haunting lands. She was almost back to the castle when Gley stopped her.

“My lady, if I may..”

“Go on.” Geneva was getting a little tired of ‘suggestions’ by all her guards, but allowed it anyways.

“Please be careful. Please be safe. I would hate to see you hurt. As your companion through many journeys, I wish the best for you, but I ask that you safety is priority.” The worried look the guard gave her made her stop for half a second before she watched him jog off to get back to the barracks and rest.

She followed the winding path back to the castle, pale Sir Cartain rushing halfway down the royalty’s entrance steps to greet her and fill her in on her father’s schedule for the day.

“Of course, the incident that occurred this morning is priority, my dear. I will accompany you to the throne room.”

As the two approached, the doors swung open to reveal the king and Captain Blakely in an argument. Geneva sighed. It was going to be a long morning.
Nocte Luna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

No Rest for the Wicked or Moral - Chapter Seven - Author's N

Postby Nocte Luna » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:13 pm

Dear Reader,

I think it’s important to note that Captain Blakely’s name is not Blakely (last name), it’s (first name) Blakely. It’s just easier to address Blakely by his last name.

I also think it’s important to note that I’m too lazy to try and reinvent the calendar, so all the months are relatively the same. This takes place late December. They have no Christmas, just events to celebrate the end of the year.

Sorry this chapter is going up so much later, but it’s incredible to see how much I have done with this story. I’m currently working on chapter 10, which will be posted in a few days.

I’ve been enjoying writing this story, and I hope you’ve been enjoying reading it.

Comments/questions below, critiques sent via PM, as usual.

Love from,
Nocte Luna
Nocte Luna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:42 pm

Oh my gosh, an assassination-attempt???!! :shock: :o Image

That's really good you're enjoying writing this :D it means you'll keep going, and post more mwahahaha <3
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

No Rest for the Wicked or Moral - Chapter Eight

Postby Nocte Luna » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:17 pm

The doors slammed shut behind Geneva, and Captain Blakely flipped around.

"Geneva! Please, come here and tell me what happened." Thomas Ederny was extremely upset by the morning's incident.

"I was headed towards the royal entrance, when a large number of guards came around the corner. A man in a black cloak and mask was being followed closely by the guards, and all of them told me to get down. According to Guard Gley, he threw a knife that passed right over my head. They all rushed by, and he was apprehended by the guards."

“See, my lord? Not only that, but according to multiple other guards, the man was headed for the staircase, then turned the corner and attempted to take your daughter’s life. He had no specific target in the royal family, just the royal family itself. Therefore, protection over all ruling members is necessary.” Captain Blakely jumped in right away.

“My wife will despise any change. If your guards were doing what they were supposed to do, then they would have caught him long before he was a threat. You must think, Captain Blakely, how did a man come this far onto our property before he was apprehended? How did he come so close to murdering my daughter?”

“It is not the incompetence of my men, but the lack of protection. If I am able to take guards out of reserve, then we will have enough men to ensure your safety.”

“I cannot believe you want to take men out of reserve. We live in a peaceful nation, civilians will worry if the guard is suddenly called upon.”

“Even just twenty men out of reserve would make all the difference for your safety, my lord.”

“Is this really about safety?” Geneva wondered aloud. Both men stopped for a second, the king raising an eyebrow in a fashion similar to Geneva’s own signature eyebrow raise.

“Father, Captain Blakely -“ She shot him a glance, trying to decide if she revealed their conversation the past evening. His eyes screamed “NO!” at her. He was at her mercy. “- did save my life. Therefore, I believe that he has some authority on the matter. But, I believe a discussion with Head Guard Captain Atasan is required to determine how much of our country’s reserve needs to be drawn out. However, you also asked an important question that I believe needs an honest answer from Head Guard Captain Blakely.”

Geneva turned towards her father, then back towards Blakely. “Captain Blakely, how far did this man come onto our property before he was apprehended? And how did he come so close to killing me?”

Her eyes showed no mercy, as they had done just a minute prior. “The man would have had to travel approximately 1.5 miles to find his way to the castle. The reason he came so close to murdering you is because of the disorganization of the guards.” Captain Blakely muttered, tipping his head in shame.

King Thomas nodded his head, satisfied. “Well, I believe we have settled this matter. After a discussion with both of the Head Guards that will take place an hour from now, we will determine the number of guards that will be taken out of reserve. With the extra guards on rotation, we can allow time for all current guards to take shorter shifts so they can go and do some training.”

The trio agreed quietly, and Blakely and Geneva were dismissed. Geneva turned off to the left to head back to the staircase, hoping that Blakely wouldn’t be behind her. “Princess Geneva.”

No such luck.

“Have you given any thought as to what I mentioned last night? After this morning’s incidents, I think it’s important we reassess the situation that may have occurred.”

“I have considered the possibility; however, the doubt in my mind has put forward a much stronger argument than the surety in your mind.” Geneva’s footsteps got much faster and shorter as she neared the staircase.

“Just let me try and convince you, one more time, please my lady.”

“I have shown you nothing but mercy and yet you still prey on me as if I am still a young girl. I am not a young girl, Captain, I will not buy into your theories and I certainly am not interested in neither you nor the ideas that seem to make you believe that you belong in my presence.”

“Hear me out. Thirty seconds of your time, and we can come to an agreement.”

Geneva sighed. She was a little sympathetic, and the Captain’s ideas, had they been true, been cause to raise alarm. “Alright. Thirty seconds. Go.” She began a countdown in her head.

“I will gather proof, real proof, for the next week. If I have sufficient evidence by today, at this time, then you will hear me out. You are allowed to decide what happens with the information from then on. If you decide the evidence is good enough, then we will act accordingly.”

“You will require only the most important, true evidence with proof. If nothing warrants my immediate attention, then it will be dismissed, and both you and I will forget this ever happened.”

“Thank you, Princess, I-“

“Your thirty seconds is up.”

Geneva turned on her heel and headed to the first floor. After finishing her book that morning, a visit to the library was in order. Walking down the long, carpeted hallway, she arrived at the tall, brown wooden doors and carefully made her way inside, trying to stay quiet.
Nocte Luna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

No Rest for the Wicked or Moral - Chapter Eight - Author's N

Postby Nocte Luna » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:18 pm

Dear Reader,

Oh, so remember how I went into a whole paragraph description of that bracelet in Chapter Seven? Well, you won’t believe who was a bad writer and forgot about it while writing the chapter. That’s the bad thing about inspiration, once you have it, you just have to go and write, and you completely forget things sometimes. That bracelet was supposed to break as Geneva fell to the ground, but obviously, it worked out differently than that. Whoopsies.

I have a feeling I’ll do lots more editing once I’ve got more done, and if I don’t have muse for a new chapter, then I’ll just edit and rerelease an older chapter. We’ll see what happens with that, though.

Currently I’m struggling through Chapter Ten. It’ll be out on time, I promise, I’m just running out inspiration. I have plot ideas, just not an incredible amount of motivation or ideas to help get to those plot points.

That’s all I’ve got for today.

Comments/questions posted here, critique via PM please.

Love from,
Nocte Luna
Nocte Luna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me