Artist clu [gallery]
Time spent 42 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
76 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

by clu

Mako #9

Postby clu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:53 am

♥Talon wrote:A Makoatl is a terrestrial shark-dragon hybrid recently discovered off the coast of the greenland sea. They have the powerful tail and jaws of a shark, with the body and (occasional) horns of a dragon. They usually have manes, and are covered in thick coats of fur- adapted to keeping out the cold in their native habitat. They live on a diet of mainly meat and fish, and are known to be vicious hunters! Despite this attitude toward their prey, however, they are very protective and mothering to their offspring, as well as to each other the majority of the time.

Yay my first ever Mako as a GA 0v0 So pleased with this one hehe
Form
Code: Select all
Username:
Make Name:

Rules of the form

- You may have unlimited Art.
- Have 3 extra's ie ( Personality, short story, Poem ETC )
- Your allowed to pretty your form
- Wow me

End Date is Sept 1st
Last edited by clu on Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
clu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Mako #9

Postby fallenfishy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:04 am

Dropping out as I do not have the time of muse ;u;.
Congrats to whomever wins <3.
Last edited by fallenfishy on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My handsome bean Rangi. Art by Ruki.
Fallen or Fishy | Adult | She/her

I love drawing and playing video games like Pokémon,
Monster Hunter, ESO, etc. I am shy but friendly, feel
free to reach out if you want to talk about anything!

Art Shop

Discord: fallenfishy#5894
Toyhouse: fallenfishy

Awesome Species wrote:

Spirit Grove - Faeriekins
fallenfishy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Larkspur1678 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:24 am

Username:
    Larkspur

Mako Name:
    Annabel

Art:
    WIP

Extra:

Extra:

Extra:
WIP
Last edited by Larkspur1678 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adult • She/they
Toyhouse

Icon by MRLFRK on FA
Animation by DarkMoonRay on Twitter
Larkspur1678

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Synodic » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:57 am

u s e r n a m e~
Hi, I'm Gamer Luna. You can call me Luna, Princess Luna, or Carly. Whichever works for you :3

n a m e~
If I won this Mako, I would call her Raven.

g e n d e r~
To me, this Mako is Female.

p e r s o n a l i t y~
Raven isn't afraid to speak her mind. She always sticks up for people, no matter what.

s e x u a l i t y~
Raven is bisexual
Last edited by Synodic on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Be humble for you are made of earth.
Be noble for you are made of stars.
Signature made by I am Lucifer ♥

Edwin Hubble wrote:Equipped with his five senses,
man explores the universe
around him and calls the
adventure Science.
Synodic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Snowheartsx » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:08 am

Username:
Make Name:

Reserving if I have time<33
    she/her • adult • audhd & chronically ill
    Image Image Image
Snowheartsx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Batman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:10 am

Maybe a reserve, but if not beautiful job Dr Hannibal Lecter!<3<3
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx..
xxxxxxx Links
xxxxxxImage
xxxxxxImage
xxxxxxImage
xxxxxxImage
xxxxxxImage
xxxButtons made by me
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx..
ImageImageImage
Art by Wyer, Mr.Boodle, Magnaskies

Batman

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Alva. » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:50 am

-Kisses your face- Yes because yes; this Mako is so beeeeeeeee-yootiful! ♥

Username: Alva.
Make Name:
hey I'm Alva!
I'm just dodging on and off of this site. If we're old friends feel free to message me.
Alva.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pIanted » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:50 am

I. Have. To. Have. Thus.
Yus.
they/them pronouns!
[ I am not at all active on this platform atm. might change in the future, might not. ]

deviantart || my characters
[ was lucky cerise and date m8 ]
pIanted

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Solanum » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:04 am

username

Solanum
Also known as that lazy one that dislikes typing things up and probably should be working on other things... But it's such a pretty design, so exceptions can be made, and as you can see... I've tried? -shrug-

-----

mako name

Lumen
Lumen is the Latin word for "light". It is a part of the word bioluminescence, which is the chemically created light in living creatures. It gave me a few ideas as far as the colouring of this Mako went, with the colours on the fins, and I find it a rather nice word to say out loud. I like it because it's so simple, yet can provide clear links to the ideas that I have for this little guy.

Although there is pink in the design, I still can't see it as a female. So this little guy is a male.

-----

personality

As his name would suggest, “Lumen” the Latin for light, this young Mako seems to have a fascination for his namesake - natural light and colours, particularly in the living world around him. This is the reason why he spends so much of his time at the coral reefs near where he lives, swimming amongst the bright tropical fish that also live there. Over at the reefs it is always so full of life, and energy, with so much colour right before his eyes. He finds it very relaxing to spend his time there, just watching them swim back and forth. There is never a dull moment, there is always something moving, living... And that’s what he loves about it. Although the coral reefs are no doubt his favourite places to be, he does sometimes stray into deeper water, because of his curiosity for the marine species exhibiting bioluminescence. He likes relating it to his own colourful fins, pretending that they did the same thing. He does see the similarity in them, his fins and the colourful fish, but there is no doubt that he is envious of their ability to create light in the darkness... While his is merely for show. Still, he is young and in possession of a wild imagination, so sometimes at night he is sure he can see the colours dancing across his skin, creating light to comfort him. But this is only a trick of the mind. Sadly. Conjured by creativity and pure imagination to give him the light of his own that he had always dreamed of. As he had grown up hearing stories of monsters and danger dwelling in the darkness (likely as a way of keeping the naughty pup close to his mother at a young age), he finds himself now afraid of this darkness... But the light has always been comforting for him, so he sees that as a way of protecting himself. After all, how could something so captivating and pure ever be corrupt, when all it does is put happiness into the heart of others? In the place of the heavy darkness, trying to drag you down. It’s like a natural form of magic... Golden, like the hearts of those who would believe it.

Though it is this same “magic” that he believes holds him back, stopping him from making real friends. As the fish don’t really count... He is simply too common and easy to overlook, as his light does not shine out in the form of true bioluminescence, as that of the fishes does. His is the dull flicker of a flame encased in a shell, slowly suffocating as the opening closes. But it is not the light, or lack thereof, that holds him back. It is the shell that this “inner light” is cocooned in that keeps him distanced from others. He is very wary of others, and will subconsciously distance himself from them in order to keep himself safe from danger that could be waiting for him in the unknown. His mind does this on its own though. He doesn’t decide to avoid danger in this way, so it can become very confusing for the poor young Mako as he truly believes that he wants the attention that he is seeking... Yet at the same time he pushes all his opportunities to do so away. Making friends seems to be so easy for others to do, so he can’t quite figure out why it isn’t just as easy for him to do. This truly is a fight between the body and the mind, although the choice is pretty clear. The mind overpowers the body every time, forcing him back into the lonely solitude he has always lived in. His mind believes that safety comes from not taking the risks with others, so he remains alone... where nothing can hurt him. When he was first left by his family, his mind provided him with the protective shell. He was meant to grow out of it as he matured, but the abandonment took its toll on him, and it stayed with him as he grew. Locking him away behind its high walls - keeping him safe, but alone. The layers within the shell, and several other traits that he displays, can be best described using the analogy of a bubble. It is incredibly fragile, and therefore can be damaged without the other even knowing that it had been done. Just as he can be damaged easily by harsh words. Ones that others might not even consider to harm. But they harm him nonetheless. This is possibly related to the way his father behaved when he was around. Though never aggressive, he could be a little grumpy with the pups, so they learned to stay out of his way or receive some harsh words. But a bubble will always return. Perhaps in new shapes and sizes, but they do eventually return, and figuratively speaking, as does he. He will always find a way to bounce back from whatever had him down, but like the bubble, he is often not the same as he was before. Sometimes it will make him stronger, but other times his protective shell will be strengthened by the attack, and will close up further. This isn’t exactly the end of the world though, as his young age makes him very impressionable - able to be moulded into what others want of him. So the actions of others can open up that shell again, and save him from himself. But he doesn’t quite understand social dynamics, so he has to rely on others to identify those that really want to be friends, and those that don’t... If he lets anyone get close enough for that.

-----

story
When you're on your own, and the dangers out there are beyond counting,
you learn to sleep with 'one eye open'. Just in case.
The body needs its rest after all, but at the first sign of trouble, the body
is awake and springing into action.
“I had grown up hearing stories of monsters in the dark...
But I was never afraid, because my mother was there to watch over me.
She's not here any more... So who is to protect me now?”

Chest heaving with laboured breaths, the young Mako’s pink eyes shot open. His body shook with the force of the sudden awaken to reality, the fear still present in his eyes as he was greeted by the sun through the water. The nightmares were often so vivid that at times he wasn’t even sure if he was even asleep. However that had been a dream. Must have been. Expelling some of the air from his lungs, in no danger of drowning thanks to the gills behind his ears, he watched the water around him become clouded with bubbles. A soft smile broke out across his face, the fear dying down as he watched them. The colours danced across the watery surface of the nearest bubble, reflecting a distorted view of the pink of his eyes back to him. The colour was familiar… Welcome… Calming. Something that he was used to seeing, and that could ground him back to the real world. For this was real. This was home. Here he was safe. Taking a deep breath, his expression fell calm for now. Safety was something he had always been paranoid about, but it was gentler moments like this that eased his mind. Temporarily, but it was enough to clear his mind. The sun was sifting down through the water, its golden beams lightly brushing his skin to warm him through to the core. It was morning, and the sun was barely up. It was soft. Comforting. Just a reminder that he would have hours of light and good feelings before the darkness returned to wreak its havoc on him. After all, the darkness will always return eventually. No matter where you are. It always does. And with it would come the nightmares… But he would be ready for them. There was plenty of time to prepare. He didn’t have to always be so afraid.

With a slight swish of the tail, he was off, escaping from his thoughts with physical actions. His small, light frame enabled him to move fast, with the elegance of the sharks that shared his species' ancestry. The fish at the reef scattered as his shadow fell over them, but the young Mako wasn't a threat. He wasn't hunting. He would often just swim about, or lay back and watch the busy lives of the fish that lived there. Well aware that he unsettled them (as a predator how could he not?), he kept his distance, laying himself down on a large rock several feet away. Body completely relaxed in their company, the fish eventually came out from their hiding places to continue with what they were doing before they were so rudely interrupted by the Mako's presence. Often he would lay there and wonder. Wonder if the fish looked back at him with the same curiosity that he used to look at them, but today was not one of those days. Too much on his mind to care about the minds of the fish. Today he just rest his head down and watched them. The memory of the nightmare that had plagued his sleep slowly drifted away from him, like seaweed carried by the tides. Mind at peace again, for now, he slowly rose from his relaxed position, getting ready to head to the shallows. It had been a little while since he had properly stretched his legs out with a run along the beach... Felt the sand between his toes... Maybe even found more of those beautiful abalone shells that he had always loved looking at... Well, that was if he could find a nice unoccupied spot. The two-legged things seemed to like using the beaches almost as much as he did. Not so much the black sand beaches of the north, where his species was born, but they certainly did enjoy the soft white sand where the weather was warm...

Heading to the shallower waters, the young Mako carefully raised his head above the surface to take a look around before even attempting to approach the beach. A larger individual of his species would have very little to worry about, but he was fairly small, and nervous to begin with, so he was going to be extra careful. There were lots of things much bigger than he was out there. In the water, where he spent the majority of his time, there was very little to fear. Not that it was completely safe, nothing ever was, but it was safe enough… However, out of it? Completely different story. Out there anything could be a threat to him. While he knew quite a bit about the water, having grown up and lived there, he knew very little about the land. It was almost completely alien to him. In fact, beyond the beaches it probably was. New sights, new smells, new sounds. Everything was new for him. So he didn’t ever go any further than the beaches. He could still see the water from those. It made him feel just a little bit safer to know that he could run to the water to escape from any danger that should show its face. After all, what if he got lost or attacked out there in the trees? What would happen to him then? Where could he possibly go? No, he knew he had to stop this way of thinking. It wasn’t good for him… Besides, otherwise he would never get to the shore. He would just worry, and worry, and worry some more - until night fell and he was forced to turn back to the familiarity of the sea. So, deeming it safe enough, he paddled closer. His movements were slow, and still very cautious, but at least he was actually getting somewhere at the moment. Unlike before, while he had been worrying, when he had just been treading water and going absolutely nowhere. What use was that?

-----

timeline

Birth -
    Lumen was born into a small family. Two parents, (though one around more than the other) and a small number of siblings. None of which he really got close to. He was born quite small and weak, and wasn't expected to survive the first night, though through his mother's care and father's protection, he did. Much to the surprise of the others however. It was because of the relief at seeing the light of the sun the following morning, paired with the colours on his body, that earned him the name Lumen, meaning 'light'.

Early life -
    As he had a very protective mother, Lumen was a very sheltered pup. He was fairly naughty, but the tales of danger beyond the safety of his mother's care was enough to deter him from any riskier actions than chewing on his father's tail. The worst thing he did was peek out of the cove they lived in, and stare out at the wider world before being ushered back inside. Too many predators out there that a young Mako would make a nice snack for... Or so his mother said... But at that age, you believe everything your parents say, as they know everything, so he didn't question it.

First adventure -
    He was several months old when he was first allowed out of the cove, accompanied by his father and siblings of course, but it was still more of an adventure than he had so far. They swam out into deeper water, staying close to their father's side, then made for the shallows. This was the first time he visited the reef, something he would never forget. No matter how many times he went back in later life. It was so bright compared to the cove he had grown up in, consisting of vibrant colours like reds, oranges and purples, rather than dull yellows and greens of the sand and seaweed he knew. Everything was so alive... Even the plants seemed to shine with a vigour previously unknown to him. His father and siblings wanted to move on, so he followed, eager to see more. But the coral reef on that morning will never be forgotten.

Beach -
    A few days later was the first day he was allowed to go to the beach with his family. It was further than the reef, and he was very unsure about it, but his father wouldn't let anything happen to him. It was odd at first, breathing through lungs rather than gills... Now, of course he had done it before, but never without the option of the other form of breathing. Feeling something solid, yet not solid, under his paws was the weirdest part though. It was really squishy, and his feet sank into it... When he wiggled his toes, it tried to get into the gaps. It tickled and made him laugh. Another memory he wasn't going to forget in a hurry. Just one of no doubt many good memories to come out of life with his family.

Where is everyone? -
    Just when you think everything is good, something takes it away from you... He thought he had everything, then was hit with a bombshell. Family life didn't suit them. Now that he was a young adult he had to strike it out on his own, for good. No more mother to watch over him, father to keep him safe. His siblings seemed fine, but he had been much more dependent on his parents than they had been. He had needed them, and now who could he rely on? Himself... Only himself... And what use was that? Might as well feed himself to the monsters now. Where ever they could be hiding.

Dark in my imagination -
    After the sheltered life he had lived as a pup, the solitude of his adulthood did not agree with him. He became more and more nervous... He was completely convinced that the world was as dangerous as his mother had made it out to be in her stories when he was a pup. Little did he know that those were just to keep him from wandering off. Would she have told him those if she had known how it would have affected him in later life? Who knows. But it messed with his head, and continued messing with him throughout his time alone. The monsters weren't real, but he didn't know that.

Who knows what lies ahead -
    The future is impossible to predict successfully without any special abilities. Who knows what it really holds for anyone, but we can hope. He wishes to find someone, anyone, to help him remove that shell of his. Someone to pick him up when he's down and help him stay up there. To improve his confidence, send away the monsters and the frightened little pup for good, and let him live his life in peace. Who knows if that will actually happen, but he knows he can't do this all on his own. No matter how scared he is of letting someone else close, he will have to trust someone in order to get himself back on his feet. Maybe he will, but maybe his trust will be betrayed, and he'll spiral down further. Life is a mystery – full of surprises. We'll have to see what really lies ahead for our little Mako.

-----

art

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
ImageImage Image
Image Image Image
Image Image
Charchar 2 | Crysalis | Firefly.
Firefly. | Firefly. | Rabbitheart
Raven Feather | Ravetta | Sanara
PFDC | Vegtable Mihawk | weegeestar5
Firefly. | ShadeyPaws (via DragonflyAmethyst)

Still a major WIP
Last edited by Solanum on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:06 am, edited 19 times in total.
♠ Character site
♠ Writing thread
♠ 2017 Character challenge

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _Image
I will be here
when you think you’re all alone
Seeping through the cracks
I’m the poison in your bones
My love is your disease
I won't let it set you free
Til I break you

You’ll never know what hit you
Won’t see me closing in
I’m gonna make you suffer
This hell you put me in
I’m underneath your skin