Based on Click to view
Artist Benathorn [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 20 minutes
Drawing sessions 10
18 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Phoenix Rune

Postby Benathorn » Tue May 22, 2012 5:11 pm

"The Story of the Burning Rune"

" I have been traveling quite a lot lately and have now found myself in a very special place. I have heard tales of a rune that catches fire and never dies to the east in the mountains of 'Sorrow's Peak'. There are no roads leading to this special monastery ,which houses this unique rune, and I had to recruit one of the villager's guides to lead me atop the mountain where the monks live in peace and solitude. The frigid winds and snow caped mountains dot the landscape while also inspiring awe as one gaze out upon it. We were finally able to reach the mountain's peak and were greeted most kindly by the ever peaceful monks, as they showed us lodgings and prepared warm foods and drinks. We sat upon the modest floors and sipped calming tea as I questioned these stoic individuals about the fabled Phoenix Rune. They eyed me curiously but simply waved their hands as they explained that this rune was a very rare individual who comes and goes as it pleases. They have been the ever watchful protectors of the Phoenix Rune and date their history hundreds of years back to preserve and make sure this rune finds shelter in the monastery that is dedicated to it/ A single feather from it's plumage can bring a man back from the brink of death and it's graceful and elegant form is a beacon of hope to those who gaze upon it. There are many tales of travelers who became lost in these mountains, only to be saved by this rune's warmth and grace as it led them to safety in the monastery. Even though this rune burns eternally, it's flames will not harm anyone unless it wills it so. They say there can only ever be one Phoenix Rune living it's life in the mortal realm and when it grows old and feeble, it has a bad habit of bursting into a flaming inferno before turning into a pile of ash. The monks go on to speak of this rune coming to the mountain's peak to die but to also be born again once more into a bright flame as if nothing had fazed the creature.

I stayed in the monastery for about a month before I was able to see this beautiful rune dragon. It was very very large for what rune dragon's were supposed to be, and this Phoenix rune was as giant as a golden eagle! Indeed it exudes an aura of peace and serenity while small embers dance around it in play. The most intriguing part about this rune is it's tail, which carries a small flame that grows or shrinks to the desired emotion. It seems to communicate with the flame to the monks as the fire on it's tail changes colors from deep reds to bright whites depending on what it is feeling. I have had a wonderful time here with the monks and the Phoenix rune and can not wait to find what other mysteries this world holds."

Owner:
Mysty Fox
Name:
Ignis Inceptos (Fire Starter)
Breedable:
Yes
Type:
Phoenix Rune
Last edited by Benathorn on Mon May 28, 2012 8:52 am, edited 8 times in total.
Benathorn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Phoenix Rune

Postby Ashenjay » Tue May 22, 2012 7:14 pm

Oh dear, this is lovely <333 He really reminds me of a pheonix-no, he's much more enchanting than a pheonix itself! I love his fancy feathers and mixture of red and golden flecks, it really looks like fire <3333 like always, well done Bena!

~*~
My name is Jack Frost.

I love being on my own.

No rules.
No responsibility.
It's as good as it sounds.
~*~

Ashenjay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Benathorn » Tue May 22, 2012 7:44 pm

Thank you Ash, and I see that your going to China? I wish I could visit there but I do hope you have fun! Tell me if you see any Rune Dragons there, not really, but I'm sure you will get some great ideas for a design. That's going to be your homework from me, have fun and be sure to record any info you find in your explorations! :3
Benathorn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ashenjay » Tue May 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Nah xD That was actually from last LAST week, I need to change my sig ;u; and yeah, I did see some Runies B) One followed me into the airplane and will be up for adoption next week...;D Teehee! xD

~*~
My name is Jack Frost.

I love being on my own.

No rules.
No responsibility.
It's as good as it sounds.
~*~

Ashenjay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Benathorn » Tue May 22, 2012 7:52 pm

-__-;
I need to pay closer attention to people's sigs...
Oh well, I try! I hope you had fun nevertheless, I wish I could go off to china or some other far off country, must be nice~
Benathorn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Secret. » Tue May 22, 2012 10:24 pm

OMG Pheonix!!! How did u get it to look like that!!! :O
EDIT: Form in progress... lol. Hoping I win I still can't believe the effects of it! It looks awesome.
Last edited by .Secret. on Tue May 22, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This signature doesn't currently exist. Please ignore it.
.Secret.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Benathorn » Tue May 22, 2012 10:26 pm

I just played around with it till it started to look like burning flames or embers. I'm glad you like it though~
Benathorn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Secret. » Tue May 22, 2012 10:42 pm

Owner Name:
leopard
Name:
Eternal
Personality:
Garen has a temper to match his heat, and is a force to be reckoned with. He has a peculiar skill in fighting and air "acrobatics." Leaving poachers and hunters no chance of planting a hit in his perfect, flaming hide (though there are no around anyway). He is very forgiving and often leaves his fallen feathers at nearby villages, as he is aware of their healing properties. He sees many humans go astray, and leads them back to their homes. Garen, despite the poachers and hunters knows these people have nothing to do with them.
Why do you wish to have him/her:
Okay I will state this now, I love pheonixes. Okay well I also like fire... so this is perfect! It looks like its Japanese or something and he's just so lovable (even though I'm guessing it wasn't meant to), I just find him so lovable.
Where will you keep him/her:
Anywhere and everywhere possible :) .
Would you like to breed him/her in the feature:
Yes.
Any Quirks:
He likes to burn his food before eating it.
Other:

They call me their light, their saviour, I just call me Garen. They say I was sent from the heavens to protect them, yet I know nothing of that place, and don't wish to for a long time yet. How they revere me and send me offerings, but those offerings get eaten or stolen by vagabonds. I don't see there point, I can eat and find my own food. But why they give me food when they go hungry? I will never understand these people.

I just sit here with my scales aflame, waiting for another to wander into my mountains. Just so I can guide them back. How humiliating, they live up here yet they don't know one tree from another. Yet I feel pity for them to go without food for the winter would be hard, but as I think this my pity turns to anger.

I don't eat it! I should warn them but they won't listen! Humans are just so frustrating. But I let my anger calm down, then finally under the full moon, went to sleep.

As the nightt crept slowly on I heard a faint rustle of leaves, and somebody mumbling meaningless words. I wondered if it was a lost traveller, mistakingly wandering into my den. But as I crept out of the cave it was there, infront of me. A fat-bellied beast, with short, stubby legs, and a distorted face. A fiend of nature! A monstrosity of the world! And it's come... to my den.

Slowly, steadily it came towards me, wary of my presence. I bet it didn't think it would find a glowing candle out here, I snickered at the thought.
WIP
Last edited by .Secret. on Fri May 25, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This signature doesn't currently exist. Please ignore it.
.Secret.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mysty Fox » Wed May 23, 2012 3:12 am

Owner Name:
Mysty Fox
Name:
Ignis Inceptos (Fire Starter)
Nickname:
Incept, or Iggy.
Personality:
Bold and wild, just like the flames she wears so proudly, but just as warm and soothing. She has her moments where, if pushed, she can and will burn you. She has learned much in her life, because like the pheonix she remembers each life she has led before her fire consumes her and she is reborn in the cold ashes. But even in her wisdom, she is still learning and loves to enjoy every aspect of life. And in everything, she is led by her heart, and no one can or will ever change that.

She's beautiful, and such an inspirartion. I would love to draw her, and write more stories about her. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Sig/Character Thread
Yes.
Any Quirks:
Incept loves lighting candles, she does this to bring those lost, home. She also LOVES to croon along to her favorite song, often singing it for hours on end. At night, because she cannot snuggle with humans, she lays in a lit fire, keeping the fire stoked all night long.
Other:
Favorite Song: 24 - Jem
Favorite Food: Jalapeno Chocolate (Sweet and Spicy)
Favorite Quote: "Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
Favorite Inspiration: "Just because you're breathing does not mean you are alive." -Unknown

Story: The air was frigid, the temperature under -15 degrees farenheit. It literally hurt to breathe, and it was in this moment she was at her most glorious. Soaring high above the mountains, flames flickering around her like magic, golden gaze taking it all in.

Swooping down she landed on her favorite perch, a small outcropping on the mountain, the only place where plants dared grow. Her heat made their life possible and she settled down into her nest more snuggly. Humans had tried to climb her home, the mountain, but many couldn't stand the cold, the thin air, the rugged, harsh reality this land was. But here, she thrived, no illusions, no false tales of love, magick, or of innocence.

Head cocked to the side she spotted them, a small trio of humans. They had started their climb weeks ago, and she had thought they would give up and turn around. It had seemed the way of the humans, but this group perserved, pushing on and on. Perhaps this was the group, the group that brought her one, the one she could be companion too...

Day 106 - 3:17 PM I'd never say this aloud, but I think I can feel magick in the air. It prickles upon my skin like tiny sparks, kissing my frozen flesh, bringing warmth back to me. But I can only say this, perhaps the thin air is getting to me, I feel weak all the time anymore, tired and so close to just lying down and letting the cold sweep me away into death.

I cannot, as I most continue, I must make this journey for her. My dearest mother, the one who loved me, faults and failures all. I remember her sweet, soft words as she lay in the hospital that day. Eyes no longer focused on reality, she saw something other than me as she spoke of the legendary Rune Dragon high on this mountain. I had never truly taken her "visions" seriously, until she had one day saved my friend's life. At that moment I knew my fate was sealed. And when she had told me my destiny waited upon this mountain, I promised her I would go after it.

She died two years ago, in the time since I have trained and prepared for this moment, but now that I am here, I wonder. did she mean I would die in vain, or that I would find this extraordinary creature. Either way, I feel Death creeping ever close. My companions feel I have my mind, and perhaps I have. I almost no longer can tell reality from fairytales. But I most cntinue, for her, for you mom.

Day 108 - 7:46 AM My companions refuse to move forward. Fear clutches in my stomach, I must either give up, or go on alone. One is death for my heart, the other is suicide for me. I will never be able to make it alone. I must think.

Day 109 - 6:59 AM I must continue on. I will never make it this far again if I turn back now. I know it, I feel it. This is my last entry. I love you Mom, and may I find your prophecy in this snow covered land.

She watched the humans make progress, not a lot, but more than others had made, until they stopped. She circled overhead a few tines, and caught words spoken in a language she knew not, harshly exchanged. Then eyes of amber watched as one of the humans struck out alone.

Strange and new, none of the others had dared this, she watched the human struggling to make progress. Three days the human fought, three days the human continued to survive. On the fourth day, the human had only traveked a few miles, before it fell. Interest that had blossomed into concern filled her, and she swooped down to the poor destute creature.

From just a moment in the creatures presence death could be felt. It lingered, closing in on the fallen human. Hopping closer, her heat melted some of the snow and ice that graced the human's layers of clothing, seeping down deep into the barely alive creature. With a nudge from her, more heat rolled over the human, filling the human with life again, until the human could move.

She watched curiously as the creature stirred, and lifted it's masked face to peer at her. She listened as the creature whispered, "She was right. Heaven help me... and let this be real." Then the human fell back to the ground. "Hrmph" she thought. "I thought she was going to be more lively." she thought to herself, but instead of taking off into the sky she stayed there by the human, not quite touching but near.

She stayed on the ground by the human for two days, only leaving long enough to take care of herself, before she returned to the fallen human. On the morn of the third day the human moved enough to sit up, and peer at her, bewilderment and awe obvisious. And then, without warning the human made a sound that scared her. The human laughed! "It must be mad" She thought pityingly.

But then the human reached out a hand, flesh bared, out to her, and the human uttered the words" You're really real. She was right." "Of course I'm real. I'm right here, living, breathing, and here." She snorted, befuddled by the human's unnecessary way of repeating itself, but also kind of amused.

Day 116 - 2:10 PM She is real! And my mother was right. I have found my destiny here, and she is glorious! She kept me alive when I should have died, and for that I am eternally grateful, to my sweet and sarcastic Incept. That is all for now.

Art: Image
This is the hand-drawn base. Will post the colored version before the deadline. :3 ((Of course, this is my version of your Rune Dragon, so it's not perfect, DX. Sorry.))

The colored version. :)
Last edited by Mysty Fox on Sat May 26, 2012 3:38 am, edited 5 times in total.

Mysty's Spot
Listening To: Fight Like A Girl - Emilie Autumn
Working On: Surviving the cold...
Mood: Cold…
Art Commissions: Closed.
Art Designs/Competitions: Open
dA: TaushaShea
Quote Of The Day: "For there is no such thing as justice,
all the best that we can hope for is revenge"
Character Thread: Runes/Characters
Checking Out: Eldemore

Mysty Fox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Strawberry Skitty » Wed May 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Owner Name:
Khanyma
Name:
Zuko
Personality:
He seems to be subborn,solitary and rude at first,but when you get to know him you will find out that he is embarresed easily,and just wants to live up to his expecttions.
He reminds me of someone from the fire nation in Avatar,which is why I named him Zuko.The fire really accents a Rune Dragon and I just love the design!
My signature,my charcter thread,and I will use him in tthe roleplay!
Yes,I Would!If anyone wants to and I win,just ask,I would pick my favorite.
Any Quirks:
He does say'I have to restore my honor!' alot and well,thats it.
[b]Other:

Small town Disgrace

Why,do they yell?I am banished from flying about towns and cities,I am shuned frm my palace.All I have is nature.I stare at the moon in the sky,shinning like there was no tommorrow.Fireflies fluttered through the thin air,I stepped back as an angry bee stung me.Even bees thought I was a disgrace!"Why father,i thought you were the general!'I,Prince Zuko had become a falire as fast as light.I thought of my horrid sister,my father toldme once :She was born lucky,I was Lucky to be born.Tears filled my eyes"I must restore my honor!" I thought of how even the humans kicked and threw rocks at me.
Life was hard,And I was still a Small Town Disgrace.

Image Yeah im LUNA > D 99.9% of girls would faint if Twilight ended. If you're the 0.1% that would say "Avatar the last airbender is better!"put this in your signature.
HannahBug

Please click!
Strawberry Skitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me