synesthesia is a light and creamy green

For topics which don't fit anywhere else! Discuss the weather, your mood, hobbies and interests. Remember, keep it child-friendly :)

where should this thread be placed?

I think you have it in the correct forum- General Discussions!
72%
I think it should have stayed in the 18+ Chats Forum.
14%
Let's make it a club, and put it in the Clubs/Armies forum!
14%
I have a different idea. (please post your idea in this thread!)
No votes

Total votes : 190

Re: synesthesia is a light and creamy green

Postby Enyo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:14 pm

I don't know if this can be considered as a mild form of synesthesia, but when I hear or read words, I see color, images, or sometimes have tastes in my mouth. I also have that for names. But I think it's often linked to the meaning of the words, so I'm not sure...
So, is it synesthesia or not?
I don't see written letters with specific colors (I think this form of synesthesia would annoy me anyway as it would not be very practical for calligraphy which i like to practice sometimes).
Enyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:15 pm

Enyo wrote:I don't know if this can be considered as a mild form of synesthesia, but when I hear or read words, I see color, images, or sometimes have tastes in my mouth. I also have that for names. But I think it's often linked to the meaning of the words, so I'm not sure...
So, is it synesthesia or not?
I don't see written letters with specific colors (I think this form of synesthesia would annoy me anyway as it would not be very practical for calligraphy which i like to practice sometimes).

Can you give some examples? If it's something like seeing the colour blue when you hear the word sky or tasting salt when you read the word chips that's not synesthesia, but rather normal associations. We all have those, synesthetes or not.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ahirked » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:43 am

Hello! I'm not a synesthete, but I stumbled across this forum and I find it absolutely fascinating. I came across synthesia a really long time ago, but didn't entirely understand it because internet explanations can sometimes be a bit vague and not really comprehensible - in essence I just wanted to say that you are all super duper awesome and I'm happy you have a thread that can spread awareness and comfort for yourself and others ;v;

Furthermore, love the title. Idk. This thread just makes me really happy and warm inside, and I'm not sure why, but it does <:

So yeah I might pop in every now and again to ask questions, if that's okay of course, and just to read what people post. So far this thread has educated me far more than the internet has, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right places //shrugs
    Sorry if I'm bothering/butting in
ahki - they/he - black trans lives matter - free palestine
art by -ewie- of my werm, Pip
ahirked

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Enyo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:49 am

Can you give some examples? If it's something like seeing the colour blue when you hear the word sky or tasting salt when you read the word chips that's not synesthesia, but rather normal associations. We all have those, synesthetes or not.

well, yes, when I ear the word sky I can see blue, but I have also that with some abstract words, not designing something visible, but emotions, feelings, etc...

For exemple, Hope is blue. Sometimes it makes me see a night sky with stars. Violence is dark red. Life is a light green, the same green as the color of the new leaves on tree. Dream is a not uniform, but a little bit like a nebula, with blue and purple. Joy is yellow, the same yellow as the daffodils. Love is a deep and dark color between red and purple. Disease is greenish, brownish grey. Liberty is sky blue and makes me feel an imaginary wind. Victory is red. But those seem to be easy exemples, that could be associations...

And for the taste, it's weird, but some personal names do that to me too. They're some names I love because when I say or hear them, I taste fruit, or chocolate, or I smell/taste flowers. And some have colors. I think it's mostly because personal names can do that to me to that too that I think it might me a light form of synesthesia and not simply associations.

So I don't know, synesthesia or simply associations?
Enyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyromaniacal » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:46 am

Enyo wrote:

well, yes, when I ear the word sky I can see blue, but I have also that with some abstract words, not designing something visible, but emotions, feelings, etc...

For exemple, Hope is blue. Sometimes it makes me see a night sky with stars. Violence is dark red. Life is a light green, the same green as the color of the new leaves on tree. Dream is a not uniform, but a little bit like a nebula, with blue and purple. Joy is yellow, the same yellow as the daffodils. Love is a deep and dark color between red and purple. Disease is greenish, brownish grey. Liberty is sky blue and makes me feel an imaginary wind. Victory is red. But those seem to be easy exemples, that could be associations...

And for the taste, it's weird, but some personal names do that to me too. They're some names I love because when I say or hear them, I taste fruit, or chocolate, or I smell/taste flowers. And some have colors. I think it's mostly because personal names can do that to me to that too that I think it might me a light form of synesthesia and not simply associations.

The personal names might be synesthesia, but all the word/color associations you listed all seem like normal associations. Do just words have color, or do letters/numbers do too?
    linebreak
    ✧ ---------- PYRO - HE/ANY ---------- ✧
    SKILLS: Artist - Writer - Musicianii
    SPECIES: Simas - Obakefolkxixxxi
    FIXATIONS: Dinosaurs - Sonicxxx
    COMMISSIONS: Open for URsxxiii

----------------------------------------
    YOU COME TO THE SOBERING REALIZ-
    ATION THAT THINGS WILL NEVER STOP
    FROM KEEP HAPPENING CONSTANTLY.

✧ ------------------------------------------ ✧
Pyromaniacal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DoomyPanda » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:47 am

I used to have something that might have either been synesthesia or just an example of extreme sensitivity. Probably the latter because I am just so freaking sensitive.

Basically, my sense of smell was INCREDIBLY sensitive. I remember one instance that sums it up pretty well: I was 4 or 5 and my mom was reading me a picture book about volcanoes. I was sitting next to her, and as she opened the book a literal CLOUD of this strange thick scent descended over my head. It's a scent that can't be described for me in any other way than the smell of that one volcano book. It was just so unique that it has no parallels in the world outside of that one freaking book. Even books in the same series with the same ink and materials (anyone remember those Eyewitness Books?) had unique smells of their own.

It could have been synesthesia because concepts and images had strong smells. It also could have been super sensitive smell. I don't have any way to test that theory. A more recent example was when I got an art book a few years ago by this one graffiti-artist-painter-person who has a super unique style. Well, as was the style, the smell of the book was unique as well: I can only describe it as half-edible alien fruit juice.

In much more recent years, my sensitivity to smell has diminished. I suspect the diminish is due to the high levels of stress I've felt from being in a new school with over-stimulating lights, smells, humidity levels, and high concentrations of CO2 from the complete utter lack of open windows that frustrates me to no end. I guess it's just been so much that my brain refuses to be sensitive to all the painful stimuli. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"The future is only made of the present moment."
DoomyPanda

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby huddson » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:06 am

Out of curiousity, was wondering if anybody could tell me what colours, maybe tastes and smells are matched with these words and names?
Chandelier, month, Ava, faith, dream, ballroom, secret, Jeannine, and Achlys
Cecil/Ffwsia - two-spirit, it/its, aspec polyam vincian - autistic + others
Toyhouse
huddson

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:38 am

Is it possible for synesthesia to vanish over time? I have vivid memories from when I was younger of associating words with colors, shapes and even personality traits. I haven't experienced it in probably a decade
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DoomyPanda » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:48 am

Pyjaks wrote:Is it possible for synesthesia to vanish over time? I have vivid memories from when I was younger of associating words with colors, shapes and even personality traits. I haven't experienced it in probably a decade

From my experiences, I think it can reduce due to stress and sometimes depression, or even methods of schooling.

I just thought of that last one because early education kinda emphasizes the sensory experience of abstract concepts like letters and numbers, whereas later education just gives you the raw concepts without feeling. I dunno, but it seems kinda plausible.
"The future is only made of the present moment."
DoomyPanda

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Enyo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:57 am

Kayoubi wrote:
Enyo wrote:

The personal names might be synesthesia, but all the word/color associations you listed all seem like normal associations. Do just words have color, or do letters/numbers do too?

Yes these words could be normal associations, but I couldn't think of good random example... But what also what I didn't say is that the traductions of the words I've listed in my first language don't all have the same color the english words have.
The number and the colors don't have colors when I see them written, (I see a text written in black in black), but the words themselves yes. They have colors, (and... something like personnalities? There are numbers I like better than others only because they sounds... Nicer? Though I had that more strongly as a child. And when I was a child, everything had a personnality. Even Teeth XD).
It's stronger when I say the word out loud or hear them than when I read them.

Maybe I can answer for Stargazing list, like that you can see?

Stargazing wrote: Out of curiousity, was wondering if anybody could tell me what colours, maybe tastes and smells are matched with these words and names?

So for me:

Chandelier seems golden
Month is green
Ava is a deep mahogany and taste like a good dark chocolate.
Faith is a luminous lavender.
Dream is, as I said, blue and purple, like a nebula
ballroom is light blue
Secret is very dark, and taste like lemon
Jeannine taste like the crust of a pie made with shorcrust pastry
Achlys taste like cherry, but seems blue (medium blue, neither dark nor light)
Enyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me