Snakes

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Snakes

Postby kivr & fireflii » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:02 pm

~Tornado~ wrote:Thank you for replying!
No they're not in the same enclosure they're enclosures are just are close together as we have their heat set up to the same theromstat
We just need to be more diligent about washing things and our hands I feel like we're not being careful enough but they are most certainly not in the same cage or making physical contact with each other

Yup you're right We're looking for mites or bubbling/wheezing already and we actually are tracking all of our snakes weight to see how they grow and how much to feed them, I don't think we've weighed him yet we usually weigh them right before we feed them and he had eaten recently when we got him
By keeping them separate I just mean any germs they might have not the actual animals
Neither of the ball pythons have defecated yet but I'll make sure to examine that when they do
They're on paper towels and I haven't seen anything Ive just Changed them in the result of spilled water from moving the container and bits of blood from feeding
(Can not say the same about the milk snake goodness apparently they're infamous for pooping on people I can back that up)

As for the shed we did all that research on preventing that and assist shedding and have a hygrometer in there, we didn't have one before because milk snakes don't really need much of a humidity difference from the normal house
She liked the moss box the first shed but not the second this time as soon as she shows signs of she'd we're going to make sure her enclosure is getting misted enough so she can shed normally and by herself
But seriously thank you for responding!

Honestly it sounds like you're doing fine to me. :) And yes, halogen is right. 3 months is a more appropriate quarantine (not really sure why I was thinking 1 month when I typed that).
-fireflii
kivr centers | fireflii signs
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Tornado~ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Okay thank you!
Birds, Reptiles, and The Elder Scrolls, and my drawing tablet, basically are all I need in life.

Hi I'm Tornado, I like animals, drawing, and The Elder Scrolls. Ive been on this site for years and am pretty friendly so im always up to chat!

Selina ref guide
Best thing since sliced cheese.
Don't do Skooma kids
Kids these days
Angel on earth
Note: Finish Cp's request At with PD

~Tornado~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yellowlight » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:33 pm

wow haven't checked this thread in a while! I actually did get a very smol MBK from the expo ( the only one they had there!) He is a male, and a little bigger than the width of a pencil I'd say. He eats like a beast and has already shed once, which was a complete shed so he's looking great!
He does get feisty in his cage but he's seriously so small it doesn't eve bother me.. Not sure what I was so worried about I guess just the fact of me not having snakes for so long that I built up a fear haha! He's super sweet outside the cage and lets everyone hold him. He was extremely scared of me and handling when I first got him and would rattle his tail, but I haven't seen him do that in forever and he actually barely moves when I try to pick him up! Can't wait til hes bigger!
Going back to Repticon in January and picking up a BP! I've been worried about getting more BP's because of my mite issue in the past but I think I'm ready again, and am hoping to get either a pied or a leucistic, but we shall see how much they run for this time around(:
yellowlight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Tornado~ » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:46 pm

Thats awesome! Good luck with your expo!
I just took my bp to the vet (the one ive been carefully monitoring because I got him from an expo) because I was afraid that he was showing early signs of RI but he's fine which is really good!
Any reason besides RI that would result in him just never flicking his tongue? The vet wondered if it was attached to the bottom of his mouth but she couldn't tell when she examined his mouth.
Birds, Reptiles, and The Elder Scrolls, and my drawing tablet, basically are all I need in life.

Hi I'm Tornado, I like animals, drawing, and The Elder Scrolls. Ive been on this site for years and am pretty friendly so im always up to chat!

Selina ref guide
Don't do Skooma kids
Kids these days
Angel on earth

~Tornado~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yellowlight » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:58 pm

hmm you've never seen him flick it? That's really odd I've never heard of that before tbh, but yeah could be because its stuck to his mouth which isn't really a big deal since all it really does is smell. Does he eat fine?
yellowlight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Tornado~ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:45 am

Nope never seen him flick it at all, he still does things like readjust his jaw and he doesn't have RI which can cause that and so maybe its stuck like the vet considered
He hasn't eaten yet but we've only tried once and he didn't eat which isn't strange as he's used to live. We feed the snakes tommorow and we're going to get two live mice prekill one, and if he takes it kill the second and give it to him and if he doesn't give him the second one live

Update: He's eaten but he would only take live
Any tips on transferring him over? He's still young so now's the time to do it, but at the moment I just want to get him up to a good weight both of our ball pythons are skinny (thats the way we got them)
He stopped wandering around so much now that he's eaten as well
I'm starting to think he might just not have a tongue!

Selina ref guide
Don't do Skooma kids
Kids these days
Angel on earth

~Tornado~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:20 am

If he's eating well, I wouldn't worry about his tongue. As for switching to f/t, I'd just feed live until he's up to an acceptable weight. When you do switch though, don't just automatically assume thats it's going to be problematic. First I'd just offer a rat, maybe wait a few days after his normal feeding day so you know he's hungry. If that doesn't work, you can try scenting, like thawing the rat with a mouse or rubbing the f/t rat on some dirty mouse bedding (most any pet store will give it to you if you ask).

My boy eats everything; rats, mice, rabbit kits, and chicks without getting picky and just wanting one good item. I guess I got lucky :mrgreen:
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Tornado~ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:35 am

halogen. wrote:If he's eating well, I wouldn't worry about his tongue. As for switching to f/t, I'd just feed live until he's up to an acceptable weight. When you do switch though, don't just automatically assume thats it's going to be problematic. First I'd just offer a rat, maybe wait a few days after his normal feeding day so you know he's hungry. If that doesn't work, you can try scenting, like thawing the rat with a mouse or rubbing the f/t rat on some dirty mouse bedding (most any pet store will give it to you if you ask).

My boy eats everything; rats, mice, rabbit kits, and chicks without getting picky and just wanting one good item. I guess I got lucky :mrgreen:

Thank you!
Yeah I think we'll probably yeah get him to a healthy weight, our female is even skinnier, but she's a really great eater so I'm not worried
We tried prekill, like offered it seconds after it died, and we also tried braining it, when that didn't work. He took some interest but never actually struck it or really went for it like when it was live
I can try to bedding thing, but I really think he likes how it moves
But I do hope to switch him eventually, it will probably involve waiting him out a bit
We mainly just wanted to make sure he would eat and also plump him up a bit

Selina ref guide
Don't do Skooma kids
Kids these days
Angel on earth

~Tornado~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:13 am

~Tornado~ wrote:
halogen. wrote:If he's eating well, I wouldn't worry about his tongue. As for switching to f/t, I'd just feed live until he's up to an acceptable weight. When you do switch though, don't just automatically assume thats it's going to be problematic. First I'd just offer a rat, maybe wait a few days after his normal feeding day so you know he's hungry. If that doesn't work, you can try scenting, like thawing the rat with a mouse or rubbing the f/t rat on some dirty mouse bedding (most any pet store will give it to you if you ask).

Thank you!
Yeah I think we'll probably yeah get him to a healthy weight, our female is even skinnier, but she's a really great eater so I'm not worried
We tried prekill, like offered it seconds after it died, and we also tried braining it, when that didn't work. He took some interest but never actually struck it or really went for it like when it was live
I can try to bedding thing, but I really think he likes how it moves
But I do hope to switch him eventually, it will probably involve waiting him out a bit
We mainly just wanted to make sure he would eat and also plump him up a bit

If it's the movement that's enticing use a feeding tongs and 'dance' the rat. Basically mimics the movements of a rat if you grab the prekilled or f/t by the back of the neck. Im sure there's videos on how to do it more convincingly
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Tornado~ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:17 am

Oh yes I know!
I did that and I got some more convincing techniques of movement that got his attention more than others such as standing it up properly and having it "dart" around the cage and so on but I tried a lot of things for a long time and he would take interest but it wasn't good enough for him to actually go for it

Selina ref guide
Don't do Skooma kids
Kids these days
Angel on earth

~Tornado~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes