[the zoological association] animal sciences chat

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Postby zoocyte » Fri May 21, 2021 8:33 pm

zoology
    noun
    xxxxthe scientific study of the behavior, structure, physiology, classification, and distribution of animals.

hello and welcome!
        all lovers and scholars of the kingdom animalia are welcome here. this is a catch-all thread for discussing any variety of animal that does not already have a dedicated thread for it (the directory can be found here). species that have dedicated threads can be talked about too, but more in-depth discussions about them should go to the appropriate threads.

rules
        ➜ all cs rules apply.
        ➜ always be kind and respectful to one another.
        ➜ this is not a space to start debates or arguments, so try to keep the atmosphere light and avoid controversy.
        ➜ try to stay on-topic, and if you must deviate from it you may take your conversations to pm.
        ➜ as a warning, all types of animals are going to be discussed on this thread. that includes those subject to common phobias, such as spiders, snakes, insects, and otherwise. if seeing them makes you uncomfortable, it may be best to be careful or not to interact with this thread. if need be, content warnings may be implemented in the future to accomodate for those with phobias.
Last edited by zoocyte on Fri May 21, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

branches under zoology
      for reference

anthrozoology --- a study of interaction between humans and other animals. this sub-discipline of zoology overlaps with anthropology, veterinary medicine, ethnology and zoology.

arachnology --- deals with the study of spiders and related species known as arachnids (such as scorpions, harvestmen, etc).

archaezoology --- the study of dead animals (faunal remains) that includes their bones, shells and other body parts. It is also known as zooarchaeology.

bionics --- the study of mechanical systems that function like living organisms or parts of living organisms. It is the concept of applying biological methods and systems found in nature to the study/design of engineering systems and modern technology.

cetology --- deals with the study of marine mammals that include whales, dolphins, porpoise, etc.

embryology --- studies the prenatal development of gametes (also known as sex cells), fertilization, and development of embryos and fetuses.

entomology --- study of insects.

coleopterology --- study of beetles.

dipterology --- studies all types of flies.

hemipterology --- studies true bugs or hemiptera.

isopterology --- study of termites.

lepidopterology --- study of butterflies and moths.

melittology --- the study of bees. it is also known as apiology.

myrmecology --- study of ants.

orthopterology --- the study of grasshoppers, crickets, etc.

trichopterology --- the study of caddis flies.

vespology --- deals with animal behavior under their natural habitats and studying their behavior as an adaptive trait in evolution.

helminthology --- the study of parasitic worms (helminths) and deals with taxonomy of helminth and the effect on their hosts.

herpetology --- the study of reptiles and amphibians.

batrachology --- the study of amphibians.

ophiology --- the study of ophidians or snakes.

histology --- the study of microscopic anatomy of cells and tissues of animals and plants.

icthyology --- the study of fish.

malacology --- the study of mollusca such as snails, slugs, octopus, clams, and all animals that live in water with shells.

conchology --- sub discipline of malacology that deals with the study of mollusk shells only.

mammalogy --- the study of mammals and their characteristics. mammalogy is also referred as mastology, yheriology or therology.

morphology --- the study of the form and structure of organisms and their specific structural features.

nematology --- studies roundworms (nematodes).

ornithology --- the study of birds.

palaeozoology --- the study of fossil animals to identify multi-cellular animals from geological perspective to establish prehistoric environments and their ecosystems.

pathology --- study of bodily fluids in laboratory such as blood, urine or tissues to diagnose a disease. It further narrows down to plant pathology (for plants) and veterinary pathology (for animals).

primatology --- study of living and extinct primates (monkeys, apes, and prosimians).

protozoology --- the study of protozoa (which are unicellular organisms such as amoeba, etc.).

taxonomy --- a study that defines groups of biological organisms on the basis of shared characteristics and giving names to those groups.

zoogeography --- the scientific study of geographical distribution of animal species (both historic and contemporary) in the world.

zoography --- study of animals and their habitats (also known as descriptive zoology).

zoometry --- a sub-division of zoology that deals with measurements (length or size) of animal parts.

zootomy --- specifically refers to animal anatomy.
Last edited by zoocyte on Fri May 21, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

joining form
      this is not mandatory at all, just a list of questions to start discussions!

Code: Select all
      [b]username:[/b]
      [b]favorite animal overall?[/b]
      [b]favorite mammal?[/b]
      [b]favorite reptile?[/b]
      [b]favorite amphibian?[/b]
      [b]favorite bird?[/b]
      [b]favorite fish?[/b]
      [b]favorite invertebrate?[/b]
      [b]favorite extinct animal?[/b]
      [b]favorite (by your standards) underrated animal?[/b]
      [b]favorite branch of zoological science?[/b]
      [b]what animals have you seen in person?[/b]
      [b]what animals can be found in your area?[/b]
      [b]do you create media related to animals (art, writing, crafts, etc.)?[/b]
      [b]have you ever wanted to work with animals?[/b]
      [b]what animals do you hope to see in person one day?[/b]
      [b]give me an animal fact![/b]
Last edited by zoocyte on Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: [the zoological association] animal sciences chat

Postby zoocyte » Sun May 23, 2021 11:55 pm

posting is open!
comms
hello, call me koga or zoo!
arcanthera adoptsmy arcanthera storageoff-oekaki gallery
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoocyte » Mon May 24, 2021 12:26 am

for those into entomology, has anyone heard of the tale of the lord howe stick insect, or tree lobster? Dryococelus australis. it has a fascinating history.

here are some images of it on wikimedia (insect warning, including a dead specimen): xxx, xxx

i just discovered there's a whole book about it, which really piques my interest.

here's an excerpt from a national geographic article about this miraculous bug:
      A large stick insect from a remote Australian island is back from the dead.

It's hard to miss a Lord Howe Island stick insect, sometimes called a "tree lobster." Their blackish brown bodies grow to be nearly six inches long, and the robust insect has a sturdy abdomen and six long legs.

For decades it appeared to be extinct, but new DNA research reveals that may not be the case. To understand the insect's complicated and sudden revival, you have to go back to a small island as it was 100 years ago.

The massive population decline of these stick insects began with a shipwreck in 1918, on their namesake Lord Howe Island, a small, lush landmass jutting out of the ocean off the east coast of Australia. In addition to its crew, the ship contained a horde of rats that quickly invaded. With no larger mammals to predate on the rats, their population exploded. The stick insect was eventually classified as extinct in 1983, along with 12 other insect species and five bird species.

Then, in 1960, a group of rock climbers visited another small volcanic rock island nearby, named Ball's Pyramid. It was there that they found what appeared to be the dead remains of the "extinct" stick creatures. It wasn't until 2001 that researchers returned to Ball's Pyramid. Atop a tea tree, 213 feet above sea level, sat a few living examples of what appeared to be Lord Howe Island stick insects.

In the year that followed, several of the insects were collected and placed in a captive breeding program at the Melbourne Zoo.

Before 1918, the Lord Howe Island Phasmid was abundant on Lord Howe Island, its presence detectable by heaps of excrement at the base of trees in forests. It disappeared rapidly from the island after the introduction of Black Rats (Rattus rattus) in 1918. Rats probably ate the eggs and young nymphs rather than the adults. By 1935, the species was considered rare, if not extinct. Since then, surveys on the island for the Phasmid have not located any indication of its presence, and the species is considered to be extinct on the island.

In the 1960s, three dead Lord Howe Island Phasmids were found on Balls Pyramid, a volcanic spire 23 km south-east of Lord Howe Island. Despite many attempts, no live individuals were found at Balls Pyramid until a survey team of scientists found three live individuals and two eggs in February 2001.

The size of the Lord Howe Island Phasmid population on Balls Pyramid is not known. Only three live individuals were found, and they were all located in one bush. Based on the quantity of excreta below the bush, the population at the site is unlikely to exceed 10 individuals. The likelihood of there being additional individuals at other sites on the Pyramid is low, as there is little suitable habitat, and much of the suitable habitat was surveyed in February 2001.

In summary, Lord Howe Island Phasmid has declined by at least 99% since 1918. Therefore, the species is eligible for listing as critically endangered under this criterion.

they are capable of parthenogenesis, which is part of the factors that has kept that tiny population alive for so long.
      The long-term viability of the population is also complicated by the possibility that there appear to be no males in the remaining population. The three individuals recently found were females, and of the three specimens collected in the 1960s, two were females and one was an immature Phasmid. Some scientists speculate that the females may be breeding asexually, with unfertilised eggs developing into clones of the parent female. If so, the population may be less adaptable in the face of a changing environment compared to a sexually reproducing population.

from that population of 24 insects, there are now 14,000 in melbourne zoo, with pairs sent out to other zoos as well.

there is work being done to propose the eradication of the invasive rats on the island.

here's some other related links to check out if you want to know more about this wonderful bug.
      Zoos Victoria’s Priority Species
      LORD HOWE ISLAND STICK INSECT PDF

Museum Genomics Confirms that the Lord Howe
      Island Stick Insect Survived Extinction PDF

San Diego Zoo
      zoo.org.au
      Wikipedia page
comms
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoocyte » Mon May 24, 2021 12:43 pm

check out underwater photography from blackwater diving!

Blackwater diving is a recreational form of scuba diving that occurs during the dark of night. Descending into the epipelagic zone (0-200 m), divers sweep lights to illuminate organisms, many of which have risen from the deep ocean to feed under the cover of darkness. Most of these divers are also photographers, and as they encounter beautiful and bizarre creatures they are able to capture mesmerizing photographs of organisms few people in the world have seen alive.

Even experts know little about the world of these open water species. What we do know about them comes from the specimens collected using large nets, which are then preserved in jars for later study. Because the specimens are removed from the environment and often damaged, it’s a method hardly ideal for understanding the true nature of their lives in the midwater.

the results are stunning and so alien. i never really thought about what marine larvae/juvenile forms looked like until this form of wildlife photography entered media. they're so ethereal. it makes me want to write about an alien planet with animals that look like that.

national geographic has a slideshow with more images.
      this underwater photography magazine goes into how these images are captured.

i'm sure there's more galleries out there i haven't gotten a hold of, i hope to be able to browse them and enjoy the beauty of these hidden ocean gems.
comms
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoocyte » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:43 pm

sharing some posts from the the american museum of natural history! i love their animal fact posts.

Say “hi” to the Plush-crested Jay (Cyanocorax chrysops)! It lives throughout south central and eastern South America, where it inhabits forests, open woodlands, and scrub. The gregarious bird can make a wide variety of sounds, sometimes mimicking other birds or humans. It might even make calls with no particular purpose!
      Photo: Sergey Pisarevskiy, CC BY-NC-SA 2.0, flickr

Did you know? The spotted bat (Euderma maculatum) has the largest ears of any bat in North America. Its ears are nearly as long as its body! This winged mammal has a vast range that spans parts of Canada, the United States, and Mexico. Like other bats, it uses echolocation to get around and find prey. The calls of most bats are too high-pitched for humans to hear, but the calls of the spotted bat are an exception!
      Photo: Paul Cryan , U.S. Geological Survey, Public Domain, Wikimedia Commons

Can you see where the Crimson-rumped Toucanet’s (Aulacorhynchus haematopygus) name comes from? This colorful bird lives in parts of South America, including Ecuador and Venezuela. It inhabits forests and shrubland, where it spends its time foraging for fruits and invertebrates. It’s a social animal and can be spotted in a pair or a small group making bark-like vocalizations.
      Photo: Alejandro Bayer Tamayo, CC BY-SA 2.0, flickr
comms
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoocyte » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:28 pm

i always wanted to read up more on sabertooth cats. this smithsonian article covers them:

Illustration of Smilodon fatalis cubs playing together. (Danielle Dufault © Royal Ontario Museum)

Two new studies published this year have underscored the fact that sabercats required some of the same family ties that today’s big cats rely upon. Some young sabercats may have stayed with their parents for two years or more as they waited for their impressive fangs to come in. Those parents likely played an essential role in teaching their saberkittens how to catch and eat food, including dragging mammoth legs home to chew on. Together, these studies help highlight how sabercat behavior evolved to cope with a world in which many carnivorous species—from dire wolves to giant bears—competed for prey.

Smilodon were not born with their impressive fangs. Saberkittens, like most mammals, had milk teeth that they eventually lost as their adult teeth came in. In this case of Smilodon, this took at least 14 months. But the Smilodon siblings from Ecuador were even older than that, likely about two years old at the time they died. “What was surprising wasn’t so much that there were siblings with a parent,” Reynolds says, “but that these siblings seemed to be quite old while still being with a parent.”

Modern tigers are usually independent of their mothers at this age, yet, Reynolds and coauthors point out, young lions are often still with their mothers at this time. Given how long it took for young Smilodon to grow their fangs, the cubs may have stuck with their mothers for another year or two as they learned to hunt and put that cutlery to work.

The connection offers more evidence that Smilodon was a social cat, an idea proposed based on the sheer number of Smilodon bones found at La Brea. “Living big cats that are highly social stay with the pride they were born in much longer,” Reynolds notes. A social setting allows cats to spend a longer time growing up, learning from the adults and playing with other cats their own age. More research is needed on the idea, Reynolds says, but the fact that Smilodon took so long to grow up might mean that these hunters were not solitary stalkers, but rather social predators that relied on each other.

comms
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoocyte » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:58 pm

i'll try to give a shot at answering these questions myself (though knowing my nature with favorites that might be difficult)!

username: zoocyte
      favorite animal overall? by default that would be the domestic cat just from being the animal i know the most about (and live with everyday).
      favorite mammal? aside from above, i think i like mammals pretty equally all around. i can't think of a particular favorite. caniforms and feliforms are pretty awesome. artiodactyla.
      favorite reptile? i enjoy species of reptiles with lots of morphs, just like seeing the different colors (so leopard geckos, ball pythons, etc.). i really like snakes. the lizard species that look like the shingleback lizard look really cool to me.
      favorite amphibian? i think i like frogs in general, and salamanders. the tiger salamander comes to mind, i like its silly face. the giant salamanders are cool.
      favorite bird? hmmmmmm. peacocks are really beautiful. birds-of-paradise and bowerbirds are cool. i like any kind of raptors too, especially the philippine eagle. i like chickens. yeah i think chickens are one of my favorites.
      favorite fish? sunfish/mola-mola, oarfish, guppies, bettas, discus fish, sturgeon, sharks, anglerfish, koi and goldfish come to mind. i like a lot of fish.
      favorite invertebrate? i like trapjaw ants. crustaceans look really cool to me. insects are interesting. i love stag and rhinoceros beetles. mollusks are cool. i like cephalopods. mantis shrimp is always a favorite.
      favorite extinct animal? dinosaurs in general, almost any ice age animal too. thylacines.
comms
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me