Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby tea! » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:24 am

What is a “never again breed” for you?
    A breed you may have struggled with and have decided will never fit your lifestyle kind of thing.

I love my shih tzu, Lilly, but I don't think I'll ever get another.
    Brachycephalic breeds just have soooo many health problems ;c.
    She is my perfect baby and I'd do anything for her, but I can't see
    myself ever owning one again.

Some breeds that you just couldn't pay me to own :
    Labs, goldens, pugs, frenchies or bulldogs / any dog with a super
    flat face, small yappy breeds. (Except for a chihuahua, if socialized
    well, they can be amazing little pups! )

art above by fiskko @ da

tea!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:47 am

Neverbreed would be labs, American bulldogs, chihuahuas and most little dogs minus dachshunds. Hard to housetrain and just overall bad experiences and no real interest in what’s around here due to no one training them properly.

Stack dog Saturday. Also snuck home for my niece’s birthday so I got to see the boys. Loki has been attached at my hip the entire time. He’s happy even though I’m only here for a day. Mom made some dehydrated livers and they love it for treats so yay. Posted some videos on IG
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marley.&.Me » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:52 am

His poor confused soul.
Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BananaBean » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:10 am

willow is very obsessed with pine cones lately, she loves running around with them and tearing them apart. its not ideal for her to be playing with them, but are they at all dangerous for her? she's not eating them but just ripping them apart. i do want to make sure they arnt bad for her though.
BananaBean

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LizzytheWolf » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:14 am

Lmarani wrote:willow is very obsessed with pine cones lately, she loves running around with them and tearing them apart. its not ideal for her to be playing with them, but are they at all dangerous for her? she's not eating them but just ripping them apart. i do want to make sure they arnt bad for her though.

Unless they cut her mouth, there's no harm at all. My dog Justin does almost the same thing but he likes to carry them around and has a favorite he plays with for a few days.

tea! wrote:
    What is a “never again breed” for you?
    A breed you may have struggled with and have decided will never fit your lifestyle kind of thing.

I love my shih tzu, Lilly, but I don't think I'll ever get another.
    Brachycephalic breeds just have soooo many health problems ;c.
    She is my perfect baby and I'd do anything for her, but I can't see
    myself ever owning one again.

Some breeds that you just couldn't pay me to own :
    Labs, goldens, pugs, frenchies or bulldogs / any dog with a super
    flat face, small yappy breeds. (Except for a chihuahua, if socialized
    well, they can be amazing little pups! )

I would love to get another Doberman but my parents are strictly against that because of what happened to Meeko. I told them it was a problem of where we were living and it wasn't the dog's fault but they don't listen.
The only breed I don't like much are Irish Setters, one of my uncles had one that I had an overall bad experience with. He had excellent training but always got his way and any sort of playing often turned rough.
I have quit. Goodbye.
Profile pic is art of my GSD/Elkound mix, Justin. Credit to Kasezki on Deviantart.
LizzytheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BananaBean » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:27 am

LizzytheWolf wrote:
Lmarani wrote:willow is very obsessed with pine cones lately, she loves running around with them and tearing them apart. its not ideal for her to be playing with them, but are they at all dangerous for her? she's not eating them but just ripping them apart. i do want to make sure they arnt bad for her though.

Unless they cut her mouth, there's no harm at all. My dog Justin does almost the same thing but he likes to carry them around and has a favorite he plays with for a few days.

thank you! i will keep an eye on her mouth for cuts!
BananaBean

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ru. » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:52 am

@eleutheromania: Your pups are looking good!
I'm particularly fond of your Dachshund! (: That face is adorable! How old now?

Flossie wrote:@ru. Completely agree! I know I won’t own a collie or Labrador, but I definitely wouldn’t mind owning one of those show Golden’s, haha. Just absolutely love the appearance of them. I’ve seen one before, and you can automatically tell the good lines with the way they carry themselves in such a regal form.

I'm not overly fond of Labs either. I like other people's Labradors sometimes if they're not too out of control haha, but most of the (non-service/therapy/working) Labs that I've met have been too high strung compared to a Golden.
A lot of show Goldens are something else! (: It's definitely the result of good breeding. Healthier, happy, pretty pups haha!

(Accidentally went on a tangent below! Sorry! Hahah)
_____

Another thing that has been really bothering me recently when it comes to Golden Retrievers is this ridiculous backyard breeding trend to want to breed lighter and lighter coats and claim them to be "rare" "English Creams" (could my eyes roll any harder into the back of my head???). It's to the point now that most of the suburban Golden Retriever owners in my state are walking around with white Goldens! I rarely see Golden in the cities and larger towns that are actually any shade of gold. Most are white or very, very light in color.
Now coat color obviously isn't the most important thing, but when most of these pups come from BYBs tricking people into paying top dollar for their dime a dozen coat color (that isn't even within the standard), claiming it to be "special", while they don't even health test their dogs or take temperament into regard - that is frustrating.

For instance -"English Cream"(white) vs.within the Standard shadesvs. Hunting & Field Line

I'm not claiming that a deep coat color is somehow superior, haha. I guess that (aside from the obvious BYB scam aspect of course) I'm mostly a little bit worried that the true "goldens" will be lost down the road and that breeding specifically for coat color alone is going to further damage the health and temperament of the breed going forward.

Anyway. There ends my rant for the day, haha!
| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby warmblood » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:33 am

ru. wrote:-snip-
_____

Another thing that has been really bothering me recently when it comes to Golden Retrievers is this ridiculous backyard breeding trend to want to breed lighter and lighter coats and claim them to be "rare" "English Creams" (could my eyes roll any harder into the back of my head???). It's to the point now that most of the suburban Golden Retriever owners in my state are walking around with white Goldens! I rarely see Golden in the cities and larger towns that are actually any shade of gold. Most are white or very, very light in color.
Now coat color obviously isn't the most important thing, but when most of these pups come from BYBs tricking people into paying top dollar for their dime a dozen coat color (that isn't even within the standard), claiming it to be "special", while they don't even health test their dogs or take temperament into regard - that is frustrating.

For instance -"English Cream"(white) vs.within the Standard shadesvs. Hunting & Field Line

I'm not claiming that a deep coat color is somehow superior, haha. I guess that (aside from the obvious BYB scam aspect of course) I'm mostly a little bit worried that the true "goldens" will be lost down the road and that breeding specifically for coat color alone is going to further damage the health and temperament of the breed going forward.

Anyway. There ends my rant for the day, haha!
[/size]

i definitely agree with you on this one. i can see why the lighter creams and whites are popular, as they are quite pretty, but what happened to the good old golden retriever? i personally love a nice classic deep reddish copper on a goldie.

as a breed, their temperament is fantastic for a family dog, and i am doubting a little that it's being carried through with the breeding that's been happening for purely color.
warmblood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:53 am

@ru; he’s three as of feb 28th. So he’s official grown but we’re probably not going to snip him until 4 if we need to. He is in perfect health.

Dachshunds have English creams and it’s hhard for me and some breeders to tell the different between a cream and ee red. I see a lot of mislabeling ee red as cream and then they jack up the price T.T
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Flossie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:54 am

Lacey is absolutely spoilt. She won a contest about two weeks back for our local pet shop, and was the most voted dog to be put on a birthday card, so we also got a €200 voucher for their shop! We went in and bought her lots of stuff, as you can see lol. We left some on the card, as our friend is bringing us back to the shop soon so we’ll pick up some big bags for a shelter, as well as some stuff for her own pups.

The pet shop is located inside a larger shopping centre, but it’s handy because they allow dogs in a good portion of the shops. Not ones that sell food though, of course. We stopped by a trolley rack where I sat Lacey up on a tiny table for a few minutes, and she got lots of fuss made over her. At one point three ladies came up to pet her, and Lacey put her paw up so they could massage it lol. She did really well though and stayed the entire time, wasn’t fazed at all by the loud trolleys either.
Flossie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me