Pets v. Halloween

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Pets v. Halloween

Postby AtlasHyperion » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:18 am

Pets v. Halloween
How can you keep your critters safe?

original thread here by my sister, wolvesinthedark

For many people, Halloween is a fun and festive time of year, full of spooky and amusing decorations, lots of candy, and fun costumes. But for pets? This holiday is nothing short of terrifying.

Almost all pet owners know (or at least they should) that chocolate is toxic to many animals, especially cats and dogs. But did you know that the artificial sweetener xylitol is extremely dangerous for dogs? It can cause their blood sugar to drop, which leads to loss of coordination and seizures. While it hasn't been tested on cats (for obvious reasons), it's better safe than sorry.

So, this thread is returning as we near Halloween to remind you of the ways to keep your pets safe on this fun holiday.

1. Do not let your pets out, or leave them out in the yard on Halloween.
        People might tell you that this is based entirely on myths and urban legends, but it's not. Tumblr and 4chan users have in previous years declared Halloween "kill pit bulls night". If you have a pittie, or any dog, that goes out in the yard, make sure you keep a close eye on it during the day, and take it inside when it gets dark. And if you have an outdoor cat, try coaxing it into staying in by letting it out less frequently in the week leading up to Halloween. Just because you can't imagine anyone hurting your pets, doesn't mean no one else can. Cats and bully breeds are at most risk, so make sure to keep your beloved pets out of harm's way.

2. Keep your pets safely away from the front door.
        I cannot stress how important this one is. Dogs can easily be startled or scared by the onslaught of strangers dressed in strange costumes and yelling, which could cause them to bolt out the door or attack trick-or-treaters. Your indoor cats (and outdoor cats, who, as mentioned above, should probably be inside) are even easier to frighten, and more difficult to find if they get out. And no one wants to spend their Halloween running around, looking for their dog - especially if it's dark out. If your canine escapes, it's in big trouble. Kids running around, people of questionable sanity in the dark with little way to tell what they're doing, and strangers who might just be trying to help, are all at risk from a lost, scared, and cornered dog on Halloween - not to mention the danger they pose to your dog. Put your dog or cat in a closed-off room away from the door to ensure that they don't escape. Holidays are the worst time of year to be looking for a lost pet.

3. Keep fall plants (especially pumpkins) out of reach of your pets.
        If your pet gets too close to a lit pumpkin, it could catch on fire. No one wants their pet to catch fire. And if they knock it over, it'll cause an even bigger fire, and probably give it extremely serious burns, or even kill it. Most pet costumes are quantified as "toys" instead of "clothing", so companies don't have to make them fireproof. In fact, many burn much faster than human clothing. Even if the pumpkin isn't lit, swallowing chunks of it could cause your pet to choke, which can also kill it. Best case scenario of your pet gnawing on a pumpkin ends with some pretty expensive vet bills for the terrible stomachaches that will result.

4. And, on the note of costumes, be really, really careful about dressing up your pet.
        Unless you're absolutely sure that they love it, do not put your pet in a costume. Make sure that you have them wear it around the house from time to time in the week leading up to Halloween, to make sure that they won't have allergic reactions, flip out, or show any kind of abnormal behavior. If you do decide to dress up your beloved companion, make sure the costume doesn't hinder their ability to move, breathe, hear, or vocalize. Also, ensure that your pet can't chew on or eat any part of their costume - dangling strings or bits that stick out aren't very safe. And if Fido or Whiskers doesn't want to get in the costume, don't force them. They're either going to be really uncomfortable and distressed, or they're going to bite you. Neither is a pleasant outcome.

5. Definitely don't take your pets trick-or-treating with you.
        As mentioned before, pets are at risk of running into pumpkins, setting them and everything around them on fire. But aside from that, this will also be a really stressful and unpleasant experience. All the jumpscares of other people in costumes, you in a costume, people suddenly opening doors, and all the decorations, will make your pet absolutely miserable. And if someone opens the door, and their dog suddenly jumps out and attacks your dog (or cat), that's going to cause a serious problem. Both pets and anyone who steps in to control them can get seriously injured, and your pet or someone else's could be killed. No one wants that. Your pets would much rather sleep on the couch while you watch TV than go out with you on Halloween.

6. Keep candy, electrical wires, and decorations well out of reach.
        If you have light-up decorations around the house, and your pet starts chewing on or gets stuck in the cord, it could be electrocuted. If it gets caught up in festive banners and streamers, it could be strangled. And if it eats Halloween candy, it could die of poisoning. If you suspect that your pet has ingested something toxic, call your veterinarian or (if you live in the US) the ASPCA Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.

7. ID's, please!
        First of all, you should always have identification on your pets. Regardless of whether or not you have a microchip, you should have a collar on your dog, and (depending on the situation) your cat. Make sure your dog's tags have your name and phone number, what your pet responds to, and any warnings, like "this dog bites" or "this dog hates kids" or "this dog hates other pets" or "this dog is blind/deaf". All of these are important for people to know if they find your pet, especially in the dark on Halloween. Many organizations and stores sell reflective pet collars, and even light-up ones. Halloween is a prime time for getting hit by a car. Not everyone thinks to check for a microchip when they find a lost animal. Always make sure that this information is up-to-date. Having identification on your pets greatly increases the chances that they will be returned.

8. And for the love of all the deities you can think of, do not feed your pets candy.
        Chocolate is poisonous. Xylitol is poisonous. Wrappers pose a lethal choking hazard. If you want to give your pets treats, give them dog or cat treats and biscuits, or, if you don't have any, bits of meat (preferably without spices, and little pepper or garlic) will work, too. Just please, please don't feed them candy.

And if you're not an adult, talk to your parents! Your pet is a member of the family, and you should be doing your best to keep them safe at all times, not just Halloween.

Sources:
    http://www.petmd.com/dog/seasonal/evr_m ... afety_tips
    https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/general- ... afety-tips
Last edited by AtlasHyperion on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
AtlasHyperion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Pets v. Halloween

Postby cornspurrd. » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Crap! People srsly go out and kill pitbulls? I am keeping mine locked up. What the heck?!?! Are people crazy?!!
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:59 am

this is interesting, hope you bring more ways to keep pets healthy and safe!
... maybe ideas for healty treats for the kids-teens that they like, but still are good for pets when they get it.... :)

hope all stay well and happy in this time!^^
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Demon.Princess » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:01 am

Preach!
I'll be sharing this on social media if you give permission
Image Image
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage

My deviantart | [https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=4389053]My art giveaway[/url]
Demon.Princess

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AtlasHyperion » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:14 am

Demon.Princess wrote:Preach!
I'll be sharing this on social media if you give permission

Sure! The point of this is to make people aware. Feel free to share it anywhere you'd like.
atlas // they/them
if you ever need someone to talk to my dms are always open
stay safe, be kind, and have a great day!
AtlasHyperion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby paleosuchus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:19 am

This is a very important list! I feel like its also worth mentioning that animals that are black, like black labs or tuxedo cats, are much more likely to be stolen on halloween.
Selene . they/them
aries . adult
Hoarding the Halloween’22 gummy snakes!
Stay foolish to Stay sane

Pet's name: Gumsworth, Lord of the Gumlings
credit . link . hoard
paleosuchus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AtlasHyperion » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:18 pm

honeybears wrote:This is a very important list! I feel like its also worth mentioning that animals that are black, like black labs or tuxedo cats, are much more likely to be stolen on halloween.

Yes, and there is a stigma associated with black animals that they are unlucky or dangerous. They are often overlooked in shelters for that very reason. If you have a black cat or dog, make sure they're safe inside on Halloween.
atlas // they/them
if you ever need someone to talk to my dms are always open
stay safe, be kind, and have a great day!
AtlasHyperion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Brynmala » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:06 am

And in the UK, hard on the heels of Halloween, we have the two week firework nightmare that is Bonfire night (5th November). Much of the same things go - keep pets indoors, put radios on, keep an eye on them, and preferably don't have fireworks at home, go to an organised display.

Last bumped by AtlasHyperion on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:06 am.
Brynmala

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me