Docking and Cropping

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Docking and Cropping

Postby bloodredsheep » Tue May 30, 2017 3:22 am

SpottyDogTrainer wrote:
bloodredsheep wrote:
鸟的翅膀 wrote:I'm not entirely sure where I stand to be honest. What gets cropped/docked does seem mighty inconsistent, though, even among dogs that all serve the same purpose. You have the kangal, which is traditionally cropped, and then you have the maremma sheepdog, the great pyrenees, tibetan mastiff and so on which.. really aren't. If you look at actual hog hunting videos and browse forums where these people talk, you'll always find plenty of pit bulls, dogos and other breeds both cropped and natural as well, but the dogs don't really suffer either way from what I've seen. There are no missing ears or injured tails or any of that nonsense, so I don't know?

Great Pyrenees and Maremma have a lower defensive drive and deal with different predator problems compared to Kangals and other turkish shepherds which have a higher defense drive. Also ear injuries in GP are common when they face predators like wolves that could be easily dealt with by a higher defense drive breed of LGDs.

Kangals, or Anatolian Shepherds traditionally have their ears cropped because they not only herd livestock they commonly had to defend them from wolves and the like, who like to get a deadly hold on a ear and rip. The ear cropping was to protect them from that. My father has a pure Anatolian Shep with natural ears and I can see how in a sticky situation they could easily be grabbed.

Actually Anatolian Shepherds do not traditionally have their ears cropped and they don't herd livestock they only protect stock.
bloodredsheep

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DarkWren » Wed May 31, 2017 1:42 am

Actually Anatolian Shepherds do not traditionally have their ears cropped and they don't herd livestock they only protect stock.

MM, no really, they do, their ears are cropped for protection since they wind up defending herds from a variety of dangers. They also usually wore heavily spiked collars to protect their neck. I assure you, I have done my research. We decided not to have our Anatolian cropped because she is a pet only, not a working dog. They are also primarily livestock guardians but are sometimes used as herding dogs as well. See photo for a traditional Anatolian.

DarkWren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bloodredsheep » Wed May 31, 2017 2:48 am

SpottyDogTrainer wrote:MM, no really, they do, their ears are cropped for protection since they wind up defending herds from a variety of dangers. They also usually wore heavily spiked collars to protect their neck. I assure you, I have done my research. We decided not to have our Anatolian cropped because she is a pet only, not a working dog. They are also primarily livestock guardians but are sometimes used as herding dogs as well. See photo for a traditional Anatolian.

That picture is of a Kangal in turkey usually kangals are cropped but it's not an Anatolian their is no dog in turkey called an Anatolian shepherd. I have 4 Anatolians and 2 Kangals. I have one pet Anatolian I say pet lightly he is out of the Cheetah Conservation LGD program out in Africa while all the rest are working dogs from or bred by reputable breeders. Anatolians are usually not cropped and no they are not a herding dog they only protect livestock. They are a low prey drive breed watching livestock jump around doesn't make them want to move or chase stock. To actually move animals you would need to go with a herding breed because LGDs don't herd.
----
my Anatolians and Kangals deal with predators differently. My Anatolians are more willing to stick around my livestock and go after anything that is on my property and to close to the livestock they seem to be more tolerant. While the kangals are more willing to actually chase down a predator they think is a nuisance that keeps coming back. The Kangals are less tolerant of threats/predators. LGDs that have more fight and are more willing to go after predators are usually the ones that are traditonally cropped.
bloodredsheep

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby moonstone514 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:42 am

I am against cropping and docking unless for medical reasons. Spaying a female is quite important especially chihuahuas as chihuahuas have a 50 50 chance of surviving labor. Males need to be neutered as it stops them from cocking there leg on clean clothes ( not completely but it gets better) and they won't run of as much during mating time. But cropping and docking really does nothing and causes pain to the dog. I only think ocking and cropping should be done for medical reasons. This is MY opinion .
ImageImage
ImageImage
So I'm a massive Dan and Phil Phan and if you are too then why not pm me?
moonstone514

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:28 am

moonstone514 wrote:I am against cropping and docking unless for medical reasons. Spaying a female is quite important especially chihuahuas as chihuahuas have a 50 50 chance of surviving labor. Males need to be neutered as it stops them from cocking there leg on clean clothes ( not completely but it gets better) and they won't run of as much during mating time. But cropping and docking really does nothing and causes pain to the dog. I only think ocking and cropping should be done for medical reasons. This is MY opinion .

An intact animal does not mean babies, responsible owners prevent unwanted pregnancies. Inappropriate elimination and roaming are training and management issues. Spaying and neutering arr invasive painful surgeries with a high incident of lasting repercussions. As compared to cropping and docking.. fast recovery.. no lasting issues. Puppies are back up and running a couple hpurs after being cropped.

Tbf Im fine with both as long as the owner is educated on the pros and cons of both.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Claire01 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:28 am

Cardinal wrote:An intact animal does not mean babies, responsible owners prevent unwanted pregnancies.

While this sounds perfect in theory I don't think it always works out that way. You can be the best owner in the world, and you can still end up with an unwanted pregnancy, which is why I believe many owners (even the most responsible) do spay/neuter their dogs.

For me personally, I don't really agree with docking and cropping, because in most cases it simply isn't necessary any more, and is instead done simply for an aesthetic, or in the U.S.A, done to meet breed standards. While I can understand if you are a rancher for example, and need to dock and crop your pets ears and tail for protection, I know a lot of people get dog breeds because of how they look, and not because they want them to take on a specific role other than a companion.
Claire01

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me