Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Flossie » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Do you prefer big cats or small cats? When your cat was a kitten, did you expect them to be the size they are today?

I prefer big cats. Especially the big fluffy ones! When Millie was a kitten, she was quite small, but she soon outgrew her siblings. Really wish her 4 siblings were still around to see their size now. ;( Anyways, Now she's this big fluff ball. Her fluff makes her look quite fat, so it's amusing when people ask us if she's pregnant.
Flossie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Do you prefer big cats or small cats? When your cat was a kitten, did you expect them to be the size they are today?

My older cats mom got very tiny as she became old. At the end of her life you could comfortably have held her in both palms. So when an adult cat is small, it reminds me of old age and death. Thats why I prefer bigger cats myself. My second cat, who is about a month or so away from his first birthday is about the size of my older cat, who is almost 13 years old. You can tell the young guy is gonna grow up to be big.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lunarsnow » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:57 am

Cataclasm wrote:My older cats mom got very tiny as she became old. At the end of her life you could comfortably have held her in both palms.

?? That sounds terrifying. Like "both palms" as in if you cupped your hand together? Because I'm imagining some teacup dog looking cat and it's freaking me out.

Either way I feel like something else besides old age was happening because cats don't really shrink when they get older. Like losing weight yeah, but actually physically getting smaller? I'm probably way misinterpreting your statement though, apologies
Random cat spotlight <3
Lunarsnow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:38 am

Lunarsnow wrote:
Cataclasm wrote:My older cats mom got very tiny as she became old. At the end of her life you could comfortably have held her in both palms.

?? That sounds terrifying. Like "both palms" as in if you cupped your hand together? Because I'm imagining some teacup dog looking cat and it's freaking me out.

Either way I feel like something else besides old age was happening because cats don't really shrink when they get older. Like losing weight yeah, but actually physically getting smaller? I'm probably way misinterpreting your statement though, apologies

I think she was pretty small in general, but she did seem to get even smaller with age. It was a while ago, though so I'm not 100% on that. And more like flat palms, not cupped ones, but still a lot smaller than her son.
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:46 am

Cataclasm wrote:Do you prefer big cats or small cats? When your cat was a kitten, did you expect them to be the size they are today?

My older cats mom got very tiny as she became old. At the end of her life you could comfortably have held her in both palms. So when an adult cat is small, it reminds me of old age and death. Thats why I prefer bigger cats myself. My second cat, who is about a month or so away from his first birthday is about the size of my older cat, who is almost 13 years old. You can tell the young guy is gonna grow up to be big.

I think she probably just lost weight, which made her seem smaller. My old cat lost a lot of weight when she got old, by the end she was less than half the size of her son, who was a pretty big cat. It's also fairly likely she might have had arthritis, that can make old animals look small because it makes them hunch over like old people.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby RunaDove » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:17 pm

i feel like me or my cats are just cursed.

we've had 8 kittens die prematurely, and one due to unknown causes, we have the worst luck with kittens..........
RunaDove

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:23 pm

For size comparison, here is she, and here is one of her sons (he is still on the small-ish size for cats, just has that bulky head in the photo cause he never got neutered), while another one of her sons, who is one of my current cats, is a bit bigger than the black cat. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of her next to her sons, as they always had a complicated relationship, and both the old lady and the black cat have now passed away.

(also worth adding that the hand petting the grey cat is a young teenager hand, and the ones holding the black cat are adult hands)
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DrinaLestrange » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:24 pm

My first ever cat who passed away last fall was a huge fluffy lady but I had her for 12 years and she was a rescue. She looked super big til bathtime because fluffy long fur. My boy I have now was born last July and is already the same height as my almost 2 year old so hes a big kitty as well. (She picked him up under the armpits and his feet were still touching the ground) kinda funny since his brother is like half his size same litter.
I'm happy to announce that I am the mommy of a little girl named Chloe! Born June 2nd 2015!
Anastasia born April 23 2019!
Monroe born September 28 2023!
My birthday is Feb 9th!
DrinaLestrange

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woospuss » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:34 pm

I tend to like bigger cats, but I don't mind either way.

I don't really remember when Ruff was little how big he was, in comparison to his brother he was bigger, but his brother was the runt of the litter. Ruff is a large cat compared to what I have seen, weighs around 5.2kg.

Archie on the other hand I thought was quite little when we got him as a kitten, but oh boy that changed! At one point Archie weighed 5.9kg, but now he is on a diet he is 5.6kg. And I always thought Ruff was a big cat.... Archie, when sitting next to Ruff is a good cm or two taller!
woospuss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby non » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:22 am

I can't say! Big cats are fun because there's so much to pet and play with, small cats are light and pretty looking and easy to hold. I probably prefer small ones.
Honey wasn't actually a kitten when I got her in June; she was two years old, turning three in September. But I remember her face markings being different and her fur being a bit different. I've had Honey for eight months. In June I (and hopefully our new cat which we will have as soon as March 10th yay can't wait to post photos) will celebrate our (honey and I) first anniversary together.
Boy. I can talk for a while, especially about cats. Sorry ^^;
Honey's just a little over 10 lbs or 4.5 kilograms. I suppose that's sorta big. If she didn't have any fur though she'd be like, two pounds... Pfft.
non

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me