* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Pyjaks » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:52 am

trico wrote:
    Someone please give me cute stories about their pet birds because the animals terrify me to no end!
    My cousin had a parrot and he attacked me, hence my fear of these creatures xD

My Zazu says "hey pretty baby" everyday when I come home from work or school. He tells me night night at bed time. He sometimes offers me his grapes, even though they're his favorite food in the world. During the winter, he'll regularly sleep in the pockets of my jackets. He likes to press his beak into my cheek and make a big kiss sound. If he sees me hugging someone else, like one of my dogs or my boyfriend, he'll get jealous and make a begging sound because he wants cuddles too. He dances to certain music (his favorite is Micheal Jackson). Sometimes he says "wanna come out" but what he actually means is he wants to sit on my shoulder and nuzzle my earlobes.

Sorry I kinda went off on a rant there but I could attest to the cuteness of pet birds forever LOL. It's understandable to be scared of them though, especially if you have a bad experience. Just remember that they're all different!! <3
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby marshsiren » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:56 am

Hello, I would love some advice on diamond doves if anyone happenens to have experience on them. Anyways let me explain my situation, I plan on getting two females diamond doves after i do a lot more reasearch on them. I'm thinking about building a cage instead of buying one so it fits better in my room the dimensions im think of are 40inch long, 30inch wide, 30inch tall. Would that be to small for them (They would be housed indoors with time out of the cage at least once a day)? I would also love some tips on keeping them if anyone has them!
-Anyways have a nice day c:
marshsiren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:41 am

Marshsiren wrote:Hello, I would love some advice on diamond doves if anyone happenens to have experience on them. Anyways let me explain my situation, I plan on getting two females diamond doves after i do a lot more reasearch on them. I'm thinking about building a cage instead of buying one so it fits better in my room the dimensions im think of are 40inch long, 30inch wide, 30inch tall. Would that be to small for them (They would be housed indoors with time out of the cage at least once a day)? I would also love some tips on keeping them if anyone has them!
-Anyways have a nice day c:

i would say to small...
but im not sure about this doves and how active they are with flying around...most doves i di know where racing doves or Show...and they had a large aviary and the other haad aviary and free flight outside each day for trainig...but i ont really know doves ,my Family only did know someone who had this..sorry^^

but with a Cage-aviary...think like this...
the bigger the bether, when staying in for many h...
you want to Keep the birrds in there for most of the day and only let them out maybe once a day, they are two birds(this i find really lovely and great of you :D :thumbup: )
...but you need atleast 2-3 different perches for each bird, they need to flap there wings without hitting something like the wire or the perch or each other....you need to hang up some toys....
all this takes some room away...for two birds not only one, both eed enough room to move and not sit on each other when one had a bad day, and even bether is when the birds can fly a bit around or atleast a little from one perch to the other.

so i maybe would say (doves like to fly around, or are those lazy birds :?: )
70’’L x 48.2’’W x 76.57”H is the min. i would say....70.8’’L x 50’’W x 76.8”H ...not sure^^

@ woospuss
give them time, step back, dont push to much, do the Training when you feed them, when they are still hungry in the morning, use treats they love.
And always know "not every bird will always want to be with a human, or be touched or go on your hand" it can work wih time love calmness treats...but they also could stay aaway and be fearful to go near you or stay on Hand...then you NEED to step back and accept this!!!

And DONT clipp the wings, it is bad, they can hurt themself when they try to fly, get stuck at places because they cant get down, or never fly well again even when fully winged out again......i dont know how many pages back i did write about this already, so im sorry i do not like to do this again^^

it sounds as if you want to force them to be with you, to need to stay on your hand even when they are scarred...

and most birds that are tame enough but dont want to sit on one Hands they can be trained to go on a handheld perch or table perch....some atleast

good luck, hope you write how it goes^^

@ trico
im sorry that you are scarred
parrot..are always a bit...lets say difficult and search for People they do like or not...my Grey di first like my father but after a short time she di bond stronglyy to me and my mother a bit less but still more than the rest of Family, my father now gets bitten when he trys to stroke her, the same goes for my sisters...sure she did bite me too, but when she had a ba day or i did scratche her feather the wrong way...
and yes a scratch bite hurts and can bleed like nothing else...and claws are strong and sharp.. that is why parrot are no toy!!, no cuddly pet not for small Kids or People who dont know and accept them as they are.!!
But to there Person they can be at there good days, be gentle and loving and cuddly and even give there owner part of there Food, can be cute and funny. My girl and also my stupi Little Boy, make me laugh at how they act, what crazy funny things they do...it is nice to teach them a new Thing, an then see how they do it sometimes out of the blue^^

But i would be always a bit more careful with the bigger parrot like the grey, macaw and such...are often one person people pets (but some love all of the Family and some even all People, it all depends on the bird...and i think gender (from what i did see males where more open to other,) but they can be loving and nice to not family people, but i would still stay careful.
But dont worry, most other birds breed are different and more easy going wih strangers annd gentle. :D just always ask the owner how they are with other People, and there loved treat is also a good way to make nice with them ;)
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woospuss » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Luzien wrote:@ woospuss
give them time, step back, dont push to much, do the Training when you feed them, when they are still hungry in the morning, use treats they love.
And always know "not every bird will always want to be with a human, or be touched or go on your hand" it can work wih time love calmness treats...but they also could stay aaway and be fearful to go near you or stay on Hand...then you NEED to step back and accept this!!!

And DONT clipp the wings, it is bad, they can hurt themself when they try to fly, get stuck at places because they cant get down, or never fly well again even when fully winged out again......i dont know how many pages back i did write about this already, so im sorry i do not like to do this again^^

it sounds as if you want to force them to be with you, to need to stay on your hand even when they are scarred...

and most birds that are tame enough but dont want to sit on one Hands they can be trained to go on a handheld perch or table perch....some atleast

good luck, hope you write how it goes^^

Thanks for the advice, I do know that not every bird wants to be with humans, even my budgie frosty isn't keen on people! Didn't mean to sound like im forcing her to be with me :shock: , I an just trying to tame her to some extent to make getting her back into her cage easy. The other night I let them out and for 3 hours Storm refused to get into her cage! She wasn't stressing, she just would keep flying away and I did try leaving her to get in on her own but she just wouldn't! She does like her cage, she is very content in it and likes being with the budgie. I have been trying with a handheld perch as well, but even then she isn't keen. I do have a bird gym she will sit on so I will start with that. We did make progress at one point but its just gone back to nothing.

I decided to go with the wing clipping, I know so many people are against it, but I took her to a highly recommended avian vet in my area, had a long chat with him and he explained very well what was going to happen. Apparently with cockatiels who have had their wings trimmed can start to fly when just a few of the flight feathers grow back, he said they get around it quite quickly. She is only allowed out of the cage when I'm in the room and she is restricted just to that room (I have cats so no flying through the house) so she is at no risk of getting stuck and not being able to get out. This is most likely the only time I will ever do this so once they grow back, she will be free to fly again!

I am a vet nurse so I did understand everything he said and the fact birds can easily stress and that can kill them. I did chat to quite a few people at work about their thoughts on this and one of our vets as well. So far Storm is coping very well with the wing trim, she isn't trying to fly around her cage, she isn't freaking out! The vet said she was a very healthy bird, and the fact she was chirping the whole vet consult, a happy bird, so he thinks she will cope with it very well.

I mean I have dealt with my budgie having wing feathers out of place and not being able to fly.

Once again thanks heaps for everyone's advice! Hopefully over the next few weeks Storm will make some progress! Managed to find one veggie she likes last night, spinach! She was munching on that most of last night with frosty!
woospuss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woospuss » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Just let Storm out for the first time since her wing clip, have her sitting on the bed with me with her play gym next to her to get up onto. She is actually taking to it well, she did try fly a few times but just landed on the ground, she seems very calm about it. Now she is realising that she needs some help and that I am able to help her as she stepped up onto my finger to get back onto the bed!
woospuss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby alpraz0lam » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:08 am

Well,
my 6 month old cockatiel, Astrid isn't doing too well.
She's sitting on my laptop as I write, not opening her eyes
and barely moving at all.
I believe she has metal poisoning, and I have an appointment
at my avian vet tomorrow at 4 pm but I'm not too sure she'll make it
till then...

She's been passing blood and throwing up quite a bit.
Perhaps somebody has any tips on how to comfort her,
even if these are her lasts moments.
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
Mel
20 years old
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
alpraz0lam

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby emjayy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:30 am

ευρнσяια wrote:
Well,
till then...

Awwww I’m nearly crying ;.; So sorry, I really hope she pulls through! Make sure she’s kept warm and not perched up high or anything. It happened to me when one of my sick ‘tiels fell off the perch and startled himself. You could try using dropper to give some sugar water under her tongue to give her a boost if she’s not eating anymore. If she won’t take it don’t force her, stress will make everything worse. Is there anything you have that she loves? Mine absolutely loves her nestbox. If she had a teddy of blanket she loved that would comfort her. As well as soft music if she liked it before. I really hope she pulls through

roses, reasons, gay best friend.
♡ art by the clockwork cat
♡ complete item collection - 29/12/19
♡ complete pet collection - 09/01/20 (lol help i'm missing recents)
emjayy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby alpraz0lam » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:58 am

Blackiie wrote:
ευρнσяια wrote:
Well,
till then...

Awwww I’m nearly crying ;.; So sorry, I really hope she pulls through! Make sure she’s kept warm and not perched up high or anything. It happened to me when one of my sick ‘tiels fell off the perch and startled himself. You could try using dropper to give some sugar water under her tongue to give her a boost if she’s not eating anymore. If she won’t take it don’t force her, stress will make everything worse. Is there anything you have that she loves? Mine absolutely loves her nestbox. If she had a teddy of blanket she loved that would comfort her. As well as soft music if she liked it before. I really hope she pulls through

I placed her on a blanket next to a certain teddy she adores,
i also played some songs she seems to enjoy
and she definitely stopped stressing and calmed down.
Sadly she did pass though, but i'm glad she was happy at the very least.
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
Mel
20 years old
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
alpraz0lam

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:01 am

ευρнσяια wrote:
Blackiie wrote:
ευρнσяια wrote:
Well,
till then...

I placed her on a blanket next to a certain teddy she adores,
i also played some songs she seems to enjoy
and she definitely stopped stressing and calmed down.
Sadly she did pass though, but i'm glad she was happy at the very least.

i right now did write out what you could do when going to emergency vet...but then i id read the last part again...
but when i did see it right...she is ..gone?
im very sorry....
nice that you did help her calm down till the end

did your vet test her, why she was so sick? was it the cage or even the food, or did she have some unknown sickness? because she was really young
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby emjayy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:49 pm

Awww ;-;
So sorry Euphoria you did your best! She couldn’t have been in better hands. Hope you’re okay!!

roses, reasons, gay best friend.
♡ art by the clockwork cat
♡ complete item collection - 29/12/19
♡ complete pet collection - 09/01/20 (lol help i'm missing recents)
emjayy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me