Pets VS Halloween --- What's safe?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Pets VS Halloween --- What's safe?

Postby wolvesinthedark » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:11 pm

October is in full swing, and with Halloween right around the corner, there is an important matter to discuss. If you own a black cat or any cat at all, but especially black ones, I would strongly recommend keeping it inside during the week of Halloween. This week is going to be fun, but it's not worth risking your precious feline companion. Some people are twisted and cruel, and, for some reason that I can't explain, torture black cats and use them as "sacrifices" during Halloween. If you own a cat, be careful on Halloween. There are many stories about black cats who have died on Halloween because of some twisted evil person who tortured them or killed them. Here's some advice for keeping cats safe on Halloween:
1) Keep your cat(s) inside. Just to be safe, try to keep all pets inside as much as you can. Dogs/horses and other outdoor animals are at less of a risk, but just to be on the safe side, keep a close eye on all of your animals.
2) When Halloween comes, make sure your pets are far away from the door that trick-or-treaters will come to, and that your animal companion can't get to the door. If this means keeping your pet in your room the entire day, then do it.
3) If you're a kid or on the younger side, talk to your parents! Explain to them the dangers that face pets on Halloween. If you own a black cat, make sure to be extra careful.
4) Be super careful! You never know what might happen to your pets on Halloween.

Next on the agenda, pet costumes! While we all love to see our animal friends wearing costumes, there are many safety hazards with pet costumes. Here are some tips:
1) Make sure the costume allows your pet to move, breath, and has enough room for your pet to be comfy.
2) If your pet doesn't want to be dressed up, don't force them to wear a costume. If they don't like it, they could hurt you or themselves while wearing it or putting it on.
3) Be careful what kind of costume you put on your pet. Make sure it's able to move, breath, and be comfy in the costume. If your pet has sensitive skin, don't use harsh fabrics like polyester and things like that. Cotton is a good fabric choice.
4) Make sure there's nothing for your pet to eat or anything that goes in their mouth.
Tankie is my ungendered sibling, and we share devices.
wolvesinthedark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Pets VS Halloween --- What's safe?

Postby areadbhar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:45 am

Thanks for the information! I did not know about the cat issue. We own 2 cats, and we'll be sure to keep them inside at all times during Halloween. Gosh, that thing with the cats is horrible, who would do such a thing?
areadbhar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wolvesinthedark » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:33 am

I don't know why anyone would do that, but it's always better to keep cats and, also, white rabbits in particular, inside. Black cats and white rabbits are used as "sacrifices" on Halloween. All pets should stay inside during October, especially when kids in costumes are at the door, for that can scare your pet. Also, when there are creep-o people around, your pets can be kidnapped and hurt. I saw someone in the Cat Chat thread say that they take in all kitties roaming the streets on Halloween. They let them out again the next day when Halloween is long over and it's broad daylight. Anyone who is so kind to cats is a good person.
Tankie is my ungendered sibling, and we share devices.
wolvesinthedark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby the fragile » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:17 am

It's not just cats, people will steal and kill dogs around Halloween too. A couple of years ago some sick individual declared Halloween "kill a pit bull night" on sites like 4Chan and Tumblr, so especially if you have a bully breed, keep your dogs inside. Although I've heard of people stealing random dogs out of backyards to torture and kill them as well.

I keep all of my pets in on Halloween night. Rather safe than sorry.
the fragile

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tinyninja » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:44 am

I was really dumb last year and I tried to take my ferret out during Halloween and someone ended up stepping on him x.x he's fine now but just try to keep most of your pets inside. There's too much commotion for some creatures.
My BunBun!
Tinyninja

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MagicSpyglass » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:13 am

to be honest, i think myths are to blame for black cats being killed because people think that black cats are bad luck.

Hello! I'm Chloe, I'm a adult Autistic girl! I have a lot of special interests :3
MagicSpyglass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Claw. » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:59 am

Please don't take your pet trick or treating with you

Taking your pet trick or treating with you is really not safe because of many reasons which I will explain full:

1) You take your calm and collected, or maybe not so much, pet to a door to trick or treat, you didn't realise that behind this door, there is another dog, free roaming the house, who is pet aggressive and dangerous, as soon as it's owner opens the door, it sees your pet from the corner of it's eye and comes running towards you, it's owner is unable to control it and your poor pet is getting attacked which could leave you with a high vet bill, an injured and sick pet, Halloween night ruined or worse, your pet could even die in this situation. Also while trying to separate your pet from it's attacker, you and anyone else getting in the way could get injured.

2) Okay so as long as the costume is healthy and comfortable and your pet likes getting dressed up, it's fine to put your pet in a Halloween costume, there are even separate events designed for pets to get dressed up in and show off there Halloween costumes. But I wouldn't recommend trick or treating. so you walk up to this well decorated house, with loads of amazing spooky Halloween sensor decorations out front and a line of lit jack-o'-lanterns, you giggle at the sight. You knock on the door trick or treat, someone answers the door, and another jump scare! It startles your pet and it accidently steps to close to a jack-o'-lantern, it tips over and the candle catches on your pets fur/costume/collar/lead. Your pet wails in panic and runs around, knocking over more jack-o'-lanterns spreading fire and possibly catching fire to you and the decorations. Did you know that Halloween costumes are not counted as clothes but toys, so that many are not designed in the fire proof way as clothes so they burn much quicker. This could end up with you and your pet with many sever burns and you could all end up in hospital/vets.

It doesn't just have to be a jump scare which would set your pet off, you may be in a big group and in a struggle for space your pet doesn't watch his footing and steps on a lantern. Or they could simply just be excited, or just move without looking, you never know.

3) Trick or treating is a stressful time for pets, anything could scare them, from cheesy and creative decorations, to costumes or the simplest little things. It would just be a very stressful time for your pet who just wants to go on a walk instead of stop in front of a house and be spooked every 5 minutes.

4) Say by mistake you or someone else drops some candy on the ground, it's bound to happen, and we all know that your pets (especially dogs) love nothing more but to steal a treat or some food, and they probably couldn't resist some dropped candy. This can be very bad for your pet they can't properly digest most sweets, but what if it has a wrapper on, this will surely lead to disaster and a vet trip, possibly surgery or your pet could choke to death!

There are many more possibilities, but I think I should have made my point by now trick or treating + your pet = high possibilities for disaster
╔═════════════════════╗

Hi I'm Claw!
She/her pronouns
This sig is a w.i.p

xxx xxx xxx

╚═════════════════════╝
Claw.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wolfiegirll » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:55 pm

What kind of person would do such a thing!! I HOPE MIDNIGHT IS SAFE!! Midnight is a stray I found. If anyone dares do something to my pets. They are getting hurt by me or the pet or both. It's a good thing I live in the middle of nowhere and if they walk all the way back my road, they have a risk of being attacked by a cougar, Bobcat, and extreme high risk for coyotes. This is good info to know. :)
Hey! You can call me River or Wolfie!

Feel free to trade or pm anytime!!

ps. i need to redo my signature so just ignore it. I'm too lazy to do it rn lol
Wolfiegirll

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hatun ! » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:09 am

If I'll have to be honest- I think the sacrifices for black cats is for superstitious people that like to kill things that bring them 'bad luck'. Luck does not exist in my opinion. A black cat one walked up towards me and I actually petted it. It was a stray, though. Now either way, people think they bring bad luck, so they decide to ruin the creatures that possibly bring them bad things.
Image <=== My little Syrian fluffball ♥
Pet's name: Chino
>>If you see anyone logged in with the same IP as mine let me assure you: I am not cheating nor is it me. It might be a friend of mine visiting or a relative. I will never cheat on this game as that is bad and unfair and silly of someone to do. Please do not ban me as I will never cheat and I am against cheating as a whole.

Please be free to send me a PM as I'm usually friendly and I like to talk with people a lot. You can send me a PM to add me too as I like making new friends ^^

semi-quitting.

hatun !

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gemini_girl » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:23 am

To be honest keep ALL cats in no matter the color... I Wil not go into the details of what someone did to some cats here during Halloween none of which where black.
gemini_girl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me