Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Click if you ...

Are scared of them
9%
Would own one
60%
Have one
19%
Know anyone who has one?
13%

Total votes : 998

Re: Thoughts about pitbulls

Postby Lena. » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Saracirce wrote:
. : j i n x : . wrote:I am a little jumpy whenever I go near a pitty but thats is only because i had a bad experience with a staffy (I got bit in the face by one when I was 3) and pittys sort of remind me of them but all my friends say they are great nanny dogs and that they know heaps of really nice ones so I think you should only punish them or do anything bad to them if you know for sure that they are viscious.

Okay, let's try to clear this up a little bit:

1. No dog is a 'great nanny dog'. No dog should EVER be left unsupervised with a baby/toddler/kid. Kids do some really stupid things and toddlers and babies just don't know any better. If the child does something they dog doesn't like and the kid doesn't back off or the dog can't get away, even the best dog can nip. They may not mean to hurt them and they're just trying to warn the kid 'hey, back off' but a toddler isn't going to know that, are they? And because the toddler doesn't know any better, you can get into some real deep water. People who leave their kids unsupervised with ANY dog is what makes people think dogs are unsafe around children period.

2. You should NEVER EVER punish a dog for aggression. You just make it worse because they connect the presence of the trigger (aka, what the aggression is directed towards) with punishment. Because we can not communicate with our dogs on the same level as, say, a 10 year old, we can't make it clear to them 'because you do this, you are being punished' they likely won't get it. You have to counter condition the dog. Not punish.

3. If the dog is genetically predisposed to aggression then training isn't going to help much except to POSSIBLY soften it some.

what I meant by "nanny dog" is that they the ones my friends have or know are great with kids, I didn't mean literally a nanny dog that is alone with kids... I don't think any dog is that well trained. And by getting punished I mean that if a dog really attacks somebody and leaves them with scars for life and especially if the kill someone (definitely not just with pitulls or anything similair, I mean all dogs) you will have to do something about it, like put it down, but I didn't mean hit it or hurt it pyshically yourself because that would just make everything worse for yourself and the dog.

I am really bad at expressing typing what I really meant in words and I'm sorry if you took anything the wrong way or anything like that. I'm not really as stupid as you just made me seem... really.... you just completely owned me, and my bad typing skills.... :) :) :) :) :)

●►►► ℓɛиα. ◄◄◄●

♫ let's pack our bags and run,
get away from everyone ♫

`•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•´

My name is Lena, I am an Australian girl and an avid reader, photographer and pianist. Lover of all things unique, beautiful and different.

`•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•´

my siggy shoptrade thread
Lena.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FenFen » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:53 pm

Ohhh dont get me started (controls self and leaves small hopefully non offencive comment)

I think anybody that thinks of Pitbulls in a non posative way is not educated enough in pitbull's

All the nagative thoughts should be at the owners. (looks at coment and puts on some shades nodding) Yeahhhh
Image Image
FenFen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby [.Book Owl.] » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:44 pm

kyotee wrote:Ohhh dont get me started (controls self and leaves small hopefully non offencive comment)

I think anybody that thinks of Pitbulls in a non posative way is not educated enough in pitbull's

All the nagative thoughts should be at the owners. (looks at coment and puts on some shades nodding) Yeahhhh

Definately the last part, Chickadee. {Sorry, that's me and my friend's word...}
You are the best. You will always be the best. I have loved you as long as I can remember.

Your are the worst. You shall always be the worst. I have despised you as long as I can remember.

ImageImageImageImage
[.Book Owl.]

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WinterSkyWolf » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:57 pm

There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. If a pit bull is raised right and socialized to all types of animals and people at an early age, they will be as friendly as any other dog.
My Blog: http://iwillchaseawaythedarkness.tumblr.com/

Used to be animalsrock345375
Avatar made by Peace-wolf on Deviantart
WinterSkyWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FenFen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:11 pm

animalsrock345375 wrote:There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. If a pit bull is raised right and socialized to all types of animals and people at an early age, they will be as friendly as any other dog.

Seconded
Image Image
FenFen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Maryanne00 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:13 pm

animalsrock345375 wrote:There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. If a pit bull is raised right and socialized to all types of animals and people at an early age, they will be as friendly as any other dog.

Yes but they could just snap. I knew a dog that wouldn't hurt a fly but all of a sudden with no one teasing her she bit my hand.
Maryanne00

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FenFen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:18 pm

rosebud456 wrote:

Yes but they could just snap. I knew a dog that wouldn't hurt a fly but all of a sudden with no one teasing her she bit my hand.

Dogs do not snap for no reson.
Image Image
FenFen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dakonic » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:53 pm

rosebud456 wrote:

Dogs do not "just snap" unless there is some sort of medical issue involved. There are always precursors to a bite in instances with health dogs, people are just ignorant to dog body language and how to properly handle them. In some instances dogs will bite out of previous negative associations with touch (being abused and such)
Your friendly neighborhood correctional machine.
Image Dakonic German Shepherds
Dakonic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jazi » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:00 am

The only dog I knew that snapped for no reason had a brain tumor, and he displayed signs that something was not quite right. My mother owned a Cocker Spaniel that "just snapped", however with medical knowledge today it may have been Spaniel Rage as he was in the group that gets it most often, or it may have been that he was suffering from previous mistreatment by children since my mother had caught neighborhood boys teasing him long before he bit her.
Jazi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pastasquid » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:24 am

hawk323 wrote:you have a better likely chance of getting killed by a falling coconut than a pitbull, thats what i say when people say they dont like pitbulls cuz thier aggresive. and its true

Haha, good way to put it! :P
Pastasquid

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me