Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Lonin » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:40 pm

||Prince Kastile|| wrote:Hi guys! I have 3 cat's I'd like to know the breed of.

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=590868F3 She has green eyes and an extremely small head. She is fluffy.

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=59462307 She has greenish-yellow eyes, is very fluffy and is confirmed maine coon. Very small for 100% maine coon, though.

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=59105672 Irregularly small in height but has a large build and lots of fluff and matted fur. She has green eyes.

Also, I have an adorable picture of Liebe and Jovi cuddling! Liebe didn't feel like sleeping on the ground.
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=59062A2E

They're cute!
Unless you know where they came from go with domestic longhair for them all.
Most cats are just nothing which is totally fine.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby autobot. » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:08 am

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=590868F3 She has green eyes and an extremely small head. She is fluffy.

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=59462307 She has greenish-yellow eyes, is very fluffy and is confirmed maine coon. Very small for 100% maine coon, though.

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=59105672 Irregularly small in height but has a large build and lots of fluff and matted fur. She has green eyes.

Also, I have an adorable picture of Liebe and Jovi cuddling! Liebe didn't feel like sleeping on the ground.

all of your kitties look like majestic siberians! if they are large/heavy cats then.. yup!
autobot.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Unless they come from a breeder/come with papers or a pedigree, it's pretty safe to say that they're all "moggies". Moggies are just the cat equivalent to mutts.
I agree though, just call them American/Domestic Longhairs. It's a lot easier than poring through cat breed books and articles. :lol:

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 2ydian » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:53 pm

Hey! I have a question because I can't seem to find anything online, unless I'm researching wrong XP so as of this Christmas, we adopted a cat from a lady who's cat bred with a street cat.

She has no clue as to this, as we've already asked. But we aren't actually sure what breed of cat he is, he looks calico but he has some stripes and spots going on, and I'm not sure what he is. Any guesses would be super helpful!

I'll post an image below, thanks! (You can also pm me or something if u need more pictures)
Attachments
IMG_20170206_215715.jpg
IMG_20170206_215715.jpg (273.47 KiB) Viewed 84 times
IMG_20170203_095438_117.jpg
IMG_20170203_095438_117.jpg (288.12 KiB) Viewed 85 times
|
|
|
|
|
|
╔══════════════╗
xx Syd ©
xx He/They & bi
xx Adult
xxToyhouse!
xx
I do cheap commissions!
╚══════════════╝
2ydian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lunarsnow » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:56 pm

คภtเรєקtเςєץє wrote:Hey! I have a question because I can't seem to find anything online, unless I'm researching wrong XP so as of this Christmas, we adopted a cat from a lady who's cat bred with a street cat.

She has no clue as to this, as we've already asked. But we aren't actually sure what breed of cat he is, he looks calico but he has some stripes and spots going on, and I'm not sure what he is. Any guesses would be super helpful!

Calico isn't a breed, it's a coloration and calicos don't have to have solid color patches, tabby calicos can be referred to as calibies! But in this cat's case he's got no orange so he's not calico. He'd be called a black mackerel tabby - black for his coloration, mackerel for the thin tabby striping, and you could throw in bicolor to the end of it since he's about half white. Specifically it looks like he's got cap and saddle markings c:

As for breed, same as the last few posts were talking about, unless your boy's got papers it's pretty hard to nail down a specific breed. Domestic Shorthair would be the go-to for him. Especially since one of his parents is just a random street cat. Ooh wait does he have extra toes? Neato, one of his parents must of been polydactyl as well! Make sure you keep an eye on his extra claws to make sure they don't grow crooked and curl into his skin.

Fun fact: A male calico/tortoiseshell cat is rare and he'd most likely be sterile as he'd have XXY chromosomes instead of just XY like a normal tomcat!
Random cat spotlight <3
Lunarsnow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby persay » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:13 pm

do you ever talk to your cat? does yours chirp/ meow back? my Cornish rex kitty Roxy does its superX3

I don't feel alone anymore X3
he/him
LIVE right now join me
my da
part of the gucci gremlin gang, I am the gucci ofc
gremlin soft
gremlin gurt
gremlin liz
gremlin feather
persay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 2ydian » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:08 am

Lunarsnow wrote:
คภtเรєקtเςєץє wrote:Hey! I have a question because I can't seem to find anything online, unless I'm researching wrong XP so as of this Christmas, we adopted a cat from a lady who's cat bred with a street cat.

Calico isn't a breed, it's a coloration and calicos don't have to have solid color patches, tabby calicos can be referred to as calibies! But in this cat's case he's got no orange so he's not calico. He'd be called a black mackerel tabby - black for his coloration, mackerel for the thin tabby striping, and you could throw in bicolor to the end of it since he's about half white. Specifically it looks like he's got cap and saddle markings c:

As for breed, same as the last few posts were talking about, unless your boy's got papers it's pretty hard to nail down a specific breed. Domestic Shorthair would be the go-to for him. Especially since one of his parents is just a random street cat. Ooh wait does he have extra toes? Neato, one of his parents must of been polydactyl as well! Make sure you keep an eye on his extra claws to make sure they don't grow crooked and curl into his skin.

Fun fact: A male calico/tortoiseshell cat is rare and he'd most likely be sterile as he'd have XXY chromosomes instead of just XY like a normal tomcat!

Oh wow! That's really helpful thank you! And yea, he has two extra toes on each paw except his back left.
|
|
|
|
|
|
╔══════════════╗
xx Syd ©
xx He/They & bi
xx Adult
xxToyhouse!
xx
I do cheap commissions!
╚══════════════╝
2ydian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gizmutt » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:16 am

Lunarsnow wrote:

I've always heard of it as tabico rather than calibies :p
But yes, calico is a coloration rather than breed.

- new question time, does any one else's cat get jealous of your phone? Sadie hates that I pay attention to anything other than her apparently. For example, when I am just lying on bed my Sadie could careless whether I were petting her or not, but the second I pick up my phone it's on. She is all up in my face, wanting my attention
Last edited by Gizmutt on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
So say goodbye to the old, and hello to that rainbow road ...
Gizmutt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 2ydian » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:40 am

[ a [/quote]

I've always heard of it as tabico rather than calibies :p
But yes, calico is a coloration rather than breed.

- new question time, does any one else's cat get jealous of your phone? Sadie hates that I pay attention to anything other than her apparently. For example, when I am just lying on my Sadie could careless wether I were petting her or not, but the second I pick up my phone it's on. She is all up in my face, wanting my attemtion[/quote]

My cat does that! Except he like lays on my phone so I can't use it
|
|
|
|
|
|
╔══════════════╗
xx Syd ©
xx He/They & bi
xx Adult
xxToyhouse!
xx
I do cheap commissions!
╚══════════════╝
2ydian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AtlasHyperion » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:59 am

Lunarsnow wrote:Fun fact: A male calico/tortoiseshell cat is rare and he'd most likely be sterile as he'd have XXY chromosomes instead of just XY like a normal tomcat!

Actually, it's also possible that he's entirely fertile.

Male cats basically have 2 ways to become a calico. They could have XXY chromosomes and be infertile, or...

(A little lesson in cat genetics!)

Any gender of cat can be ginger, as in an X chromosome they either have ginger "on" or ginger "off". Female cats have 2 X chromosomes, so they have a chance of having one chromosome with "on" and one with "off", which makes that cat a calico.

Let's say there's two kittens still in the womb. One of them is a little tomcat who's going to be a black cat. Let's say he has a sister who's going to be a calico. It's possible that their cells can merge while they're still in the earliest stages of development, and you get a male cat who turns out to be a calico. He has the chromosomes XY and is fertile, but he carries the traits he was originally going to have, not the traits his sister carried.

And that's your lesson in cat genetics. Thank you 7th grade science.
atlas // they/them
if you ever need someone to talk to my dms are always open
stay safe, be kind, and have a great day!
AtlasHyperion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me