The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby meerkat boi. » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:44 am

.Middy. wrote:Image

Today I got the chance to get some rats from a really awesome breeder a few hours away from me. Needless to say i jumped at the chance because I’ve heard amazing things about her rats. Very glad I did because these are some awesome rats lol. They are super sweet, squishy babies and omg they are beautiful! I love them so much lol

I was only planning on getting two does and a buck, but the breeder got the buck confused with another and decided to bring both to let me decide between lol. Picked my original favorite, so she decided to just give me the extra boy and I’m a total sucker for DWS and sweet bucks so I said yes of course lol.

First photo is my favorite buck, second is my marble doe Calliope, third is my extra buck, and fourth is my other Marble hooded doe Arizona! Still need to name the bucks haha

a few days late but they are adorable!

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ghostmaker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:25 am

hey everyone !!! i'm back again,, haha

so, i'm feeling really confident about asking my parents for a hamster, but i'm making a little presentation and can't decide on a habitat??

i'm stuck on whether to make a bin cage, or buy a tank c: tanks are expensive, but i feel like they would be more sturdy and better in general !! c:

what would any hamster owners/people who know about this recommend?
ghostmaker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:55 am

resonatings wrote:
      hey everyone !!! i'm back again,, haha

so, i'm feeling really confident about asking my parents for a hamster, but i'm making a little presentation and can't decide on a habitat??

i'm stuck on whether to make a bin cage, or buy a tank c: tanks are expensive, but i feel like they would be more sturdy and better in general !! c:

what would any hamster owners/people who know about this recommend?

If you can, buy an Alaska, Barney, Alexander, or Hamster Heaven! These cages meet the recommended minimum size of 80x50cm, though if you can afford to go bigger, do!

If you want to save money, and have an Ikea near you, you could DIY a cage! You could buy a Samla bin to make a bin cage, or make a Linnmon, Kallax, Billy or Detolf cage!

I personally really love the Alaska! It's great if you're on a budget, and offers plenty of floor space as well as lots of room for hanging toys and ledges! This is Bella's current set up, though I'm hoping to buy some new toys and some levels/hammocks to switch out as soon as I get paid!

Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kisiel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:02 am

Whoa I didn't know the Alaska was that cheap!! Thanks for the link Kearie, I may just buy one as a "just in case" cage. Even though I already have a large (it's not really) hamster cage from P@H as a hospital cage and a furet and another spare large cage... Really don't need any more lol but it's tempting
Stay positive.

Kisiel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:09 am

Yeah, the large P@H cage doesn't actually meet the guidelines. Funnily enough, the guidelines were set by the RSPCA and then disappeared when they became affiliated to P@H, so...

Zooplus is also amazing for deals! It's worth it to keep checking and if you join a couple of hamster groups on FB there's people on there who can make sure you get a 10% discount code, too :D
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kisiel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:13 am

I don't have hamsters, should have clarified that lol. I have rats but things for other animals are great for them! It's disgusting that they can call that cage "large" and have the cheek to charge &25 for it. Such a shame that there are so many unsuitable homes and other things for animals out there :(
Stay positive.

Kisiel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jade, » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:59 pm

One of my winter white dwarf hamsters went missing just now, i put cucumbers out for water, but I just have this horrible feeling.. yesterday I heard scratching at the fireplace and it didn't stop, and I didn't think it meant anything but.. if she went in there, we are lighting a fire right now so umm.. help me! I love my hamsters a lot and i would cry for days If I knew she was dead 😭

Some tips please! Xc
★ ★ ███████████████
𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐒 ────────

jay | she/her | sep. 2
hihi im jade/jay, im n
ot very active on this
site anymore but still
feel free to pm me <3

██
██
██
██

────── 𝐌𝐔𝐑𝐀𝐋𝐒 𝐎𝐍
██
██
██
██
──────────
coding shop
art shop
coding cred

──────────
██
██
██
██

█████████
────────┐

───────
████
─────𝐁𝐔𝐓
jade,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Lost Gremlin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:24 am

B l o s s o m wrote:One of my winter white dwarf hamsters went missing just now, i put cucumbers out for water, but I just have this horrible feeling.. yesterday I heard scratching at the fireplace and it didn't stop, and I didn't think it meant anything but.. if she went in there, we are lighting a fire right now so umm.. help me! I love my hamsters a lot and i would cry for days If I knew she was dead 😭

Some tips please! Xc

Maybe not light the fire...? At least until you can confirm that she's not definitely not in there.
Otherwise that'll be a very painful way for her to go. If the heat and fire doesn't kill her, then the smoke certainly will.

Put out any fire and tout everything out of the fireplace, check for any cracks or crevices that she could've squeezed into, including in the chimney/pipe grating. If you can't see her then try putting out a small carrier with food and wait a few hours to see if she emerges. If you can't hear the scratching then assume that she isn't around... but if I were you, I wouldn't light the fire for a few days just to be sure.
The Lost Gremlin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jade, » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:02 am

The Lost Gremlin wrote:
B l o s s o m wrote:One of my winter white dwarf hamsters went missing just now, i put cucumbers out for water, but I just have this horrible feeling.. yesterday I heard scratching at the fireplace and it didn't stop, and I didn't think it meant anything but.. if she went in there, we are lighting a fire right now so umm.. help me! I love my hamsters a lot and i would cry for days If I knew she was dead 😭

Some tips please! Xc

Maybe not light the fire...? At least until you can confirm that she's not definitely not in there.
Otherwise that'll be a very painful way for her to go. If the heat and fire doesn't kill her, then the smoke certainly will.

Put out any fire and tout everything out of the fireplace, check for any cracks or crevices that she could've squeezed into, including in the chimney/pipe grating. If you can't see her then try putting out a small carrier with food and wait a few hours to see if she emerges. If you can't hear the scratching then assume that she isn't around... but if I were you, I wouldn't light the fire for a few days just to be sure.

She is definitely not in there, since the cucumbers had a few bites, but I will do the carrier one c: thank you.
★ ★ ███████████████
𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐒 ────────

jay | she/her | sep. 2
hihi im jade/jay, im n
ot very active on this
site anymore but still
feel free to pm me <3

██
██
██
██

────── 𝐌𝐔𝐑𝐀𝐋𝐒 𝐎𝐍
██
██
██
██
──────────
coding shop
art shop
coding cred

──────────
██
██
██
██

█████████
────────┐

───────
████
─────𝐁𝐔𝐓
jade,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eevee » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:12 pm

Has anyone had an experience with red eyed Gerbils? I bought two new Gerbils today and they have red eyes. I researched it before I bought them, and it’s normal in most cases. They seem healthy and alert. Their fur is shiny and soft. Just really skiddish (my first two were too when I just brought them home, so this isn’t an issue to me). I just want to know if anyone else had Gerbs with red eyes. It’s just new to me because I’m used to the black eyes ^^ thanks for any input!

Eevee / Formerly Bleedingjay
looking to complete
my item collection. Any wl
items are greatly appreciated.
currently looking for dreamies:
pps malk dragon, td coontail, ba and bmd
I hoard B&W border collies and Grey Border Collies.
Please trade me them!

Eevee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me