Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby .Middy. » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:54 pm

Had to muzzle the vicious beast today, such a scary creature 😂

She totally tore my nails up today, ended up breaking multiple nails because she’s a crazy dog. Took like 280+ photos today, so I’ve got plenty to share lol
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:58 pm

My girl conquered her fear of cylinders today! Haha, I never knew she had such a problem with this. She's been hiking with me forever but some uneven concrete completely freaked her out. After a lot of persuading, I finally got her to climb up, and she was a bit shaky at first but then she was having a blast.

I also saw this logo and I was like "omg it's Lucy!". I've never seen this company before, I thought it was cool, you don't see a lot of bull breeds representing companies.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bloodredsheep » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:28 pm

marchant wrote:
    i have two dogs, a red heeler/catahoula mix and an australian shepherd / great pyrenees. the heeler is my step father’s and he’s wonderful at listening, obedience etc but lord... my 8 month old aussie mix is the worst. no matter what you try or what different route you take, she will not listen to a single word. i’ve been the main caretaker of her and i’ve tried to train her since day one with all the advice i could get and find online. the only thing she’s surprised me at is sticking around us when we go to the farm for long walks, but then again our seven year old dog has been taught that so she just follows him.

maybe the people on here have a similar situation or new advice? I’ve tried toys, and treats etc and even though she loves both individually, when it comes to focusing and doing something for a reward, it’s like she just shuts her hearing off.

i figured, maybe it was just cause she was a puppy or her breed. or maybe both is just a huge horrible combo. i’m just sticking to the hope that when she’s a bit older, she’ll listen more and maybe then i can do something with her lol

some days i feel like we got the faulty one of the litter haha

I think its a bit of both your dog being a puppy and the breeds she is mixed with. Puppies usually have short attention spans. Try making training seasons with her short and easy. And try to always end on a good note.

breed wise it sounds like she takes after the Pyrenees. They can be very independent and stubborn. They often don’t care much for obedience training. They can be taught it but you’ll need lots of patience. You’ll probably need to constantly repeat the same command to her for a bit but she’ll start to get it. If she’s not interested in treats or toys. try praise tell her “good girl!” or give her a pat on the head.

LGDs usually like praise and don’t care for toys or treats and are often terrible with obedience training but they can learn it. My Anatolians are more praise driven they usually like being told they did a good job or a pat on the head. Also you can try training her when its her feeding time and use her food as her treat. I did this sometimes works good too.

Your puppy sounds the same way my Anatolian pups were at 8 months. lol
My girls didn’t much care what I had to say in the beginning but by working with them as they got older they started to get a lot better with following commands.
bloodredsheep

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby moonkin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:40 pm

bloodredsheep wrote:
marchant wrote:
    i have two dogs, a red heeler/catahoula mix and an australian shepherd / great pyrenees. the heeler is my step father’s and he’s wonderful at listening, obedience etc but lord... my 8 month old aussie mix is the worst. no matter what you try or what different route you take, she will not listen to a single word. i’ve been the main caretaker of her and i’ve tried to train her since day one with all the advice i could get and find online. the only thing she’s surprised me at is sticking around us when we go to the farm for long walks, but then again our seven year old dog has been taught that so she just follows him.

maybe the people on here have a similar situation or new advice? I’ve tried toys, and treats etc and even though she loves both individually, when it comes to focusing and doing something for a reward, it’s like she just shuts her hearing off.

i figured, maybe it was just cause she was a puppy or her breed. or maybe both is just a huge horrible combo. i’m just sticking to the hope that when she’s a bit older, she’ll listen more and maybe then i can do something with her lol

some days i feel like we got the faulty one of the litter haha

I think its a bit of both your dog being a puppy and the breeds she is mixed with. Puppies usually have short attention spans. Try making training seasons with her short and easy. And try to always end on a good note.

breed wise it sounds like she takes after the Pyrenees. They can be very independent and stubborn. They often don’t care much for obedience training. They can be taught it but you’ll need lots of patience. You’ll probably need to constantly repeat the same command to her for a bit but she’ll start to get it. If she’s not interested in treats or toys. try praise tell her “good girl!” or give her a pat on the head.

LGDs usually like praise and don’t care for toys or treats and are often terrible with obedience training but they can learn it. My Anatolians are more praise driven they usually like being told they did a good job or a pat on the head. Also you can try training her when its her feeding time and use her food as her treat. I did this sometimes works good too.

Your puppy sounds the same way my Anatolian pups were at 8 months. lol
My girls didn’t much care what I had to say in the beginning but by working with them as they got older they started to get a lot better with following commands.

this reassured me so much omg. i gave up for a bit on training cause it just seemed so hopeless with what results I was getting but my hope has been restored! thankfully, Nala is food driven and slightly toy driven as well .. it’s just the getting her to focus and listen to what I’m telling her. I think food for her is the best bet or praise (she’s such an attention hog even though she doesn’t want to listen), so I’ll try that again!

I just can’t wait until she grows out of these teen stage a bit, not going to lie it’s what I look forward to a little lol
moonkin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby juicebox! » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:45 pm

ferris is piling onto his problems every day now. i honestly dont think anybody would take him unless they want a problem dog and lets face it - who wants a problem dog. looks like he may just end up back in the pound. i hate myself for getting him. mad at the rescue for lying to us and allowing to take a potentially dangerous dog. ya hes great beside the fact hes scared of every single existing person except us, woo. i dont even know what to do at this point. we do not have time to deal with him. its a very difficult time for us. i especially dont want anybody else to end up with the same problem i did. i dont want to pay to get rid of him so id probably just surrender him, ugh. idk. bad, bad choices.
juicebox!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:12 pm

So Thor is sick.

So sick he's not holding anything. not even water, down. I've tried bland chicken and a little bit of rice.
I've tried all I can at home, but it all just comes back up.

I'm writing it down as the dog food making him sick but he's been eating it for weeks.
My mom and dad say he's just got a bug and will be fine in a couple of days, but he can't go a week without food or water. He can't regulate his body temperature right now and it's just overall not a good time for Thor right now.

He's not showing any outright signs of anything super serious other than signs of dehydration, though it's been a few days since he's eaten or kept any fluids down.

If he can't eat tomorrow, I'm going to fight with my mom about taking him to the vet.
He can't go longer without keeping food or water down.

No, he hasn't eaten anything he shouldn't have. he hasn't eaten any blankets or anything like that in a while, though he does lick them. A lot. but he hasn't eaten anything that he shouldn't have unless my brothers gave him something.

I'm thinking he's picked up the flu. But he hasn't been able to keep anything down. At all.

I'm a concerned bean about Thor right now.
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:41 pm

schistad; wrote:
    ferris is piling onto his problems every day now. i honestly dont think anybody would take him unless they want a problem dog and lets face it - who wants a problem dog. looks like he may just end up back in the pound. i hate myself for getting him. mad at the rescue for lying to us and allowing to take a potentially dangerous dog. ya hes great beside the fact hes scared of every single existing person except us, woo. i dont even know what to do at this point. we do not have time to deal with him. its a very difficult time for us. i especially dont want anybody else to end up with the same problem i did. i dont want to pay to get rid of him so id probably just surrender him, ugh. idk. bad, bad choices.

I wouldn't just dump him back in a shelter if your concerned about someone else taking him on and you can not do anything with him ( have you tried a behaviorist or trainer ) you may want to look at having him put to sleep.

He has already been dumped in a shelter and rehomed to you what's to say it wont happen again or if its a different shelter and he is as bad as you say they themselves will have to put him to sleep. If you havnt called in a trainer or behaviorist yet I would try that first instead of just out right giving up on him or dumping the problem on a shelter who will have to make the choose of putting him down.

If that's not an option have him put to sleep yourselves instead of giving him back to stress filled shelter who will do the same thing if he is unrehomable.
CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby juicebox! » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:43 am

i do not have the money to take him anywhere and im not gonna put him to sleep. he acted fine when he was in the shelter and was friendly to everyone that walked up to his kennel i dont know why he reacts now but i know someone can work on it. im gonna message the shelter later.
juicebox!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:11 am

If you could own Any Breed, Or Mix Breed What Would It Be and Why...?

I would LOVE to own A rough Collie.

Why Do I want A rough Collie...? I love their looks, They are absalutly STUNNING dogs. They Are Very Loyal, So I would could really use their sweet nature, Their Willingness to learn, And Their Sweet Nature To Do service work. They Are Also The Size I like, For I don't like small dogs.

Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:33 am

I fully agree with angelus. I own a dog similar to what you are describing. He’s extremely reactive to strangers.

If you can’t find a rescue that knows what they are doing with that kind of dog, please don’t let the poor thing end up bouncing around from shelter to home and back again for who knows how long. It’s not fair on him, a proper humane death is so much better than a life time of fear and unstabilty.

Not to mention if he’s a bite risk, you are risking the shelter adopting him back out to some unknowing family who could let him bite someone. It sucks but sometimes putting a dog down is the best thing for the dog. A humane death surrounded by people he likes is 100% better than a life bouncing around and then possibly still being put to sleep for a bite.

With my boy, I know I’d never give him up, I manage him well and can handle his issues with no danger to anyone else, but if I were to die, I’ll have it so he either goes to my parents who he loves and who know how to keep him and everyone else safe. If they were somehow unable to take him, he would be put down. I’d rather put him down too early than risk him living a life of fear and uncertainty.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me