Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby meerkat boi. » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:41 pm

My dad hates my dog
I'm only young but he said he regrets getting her
I want to train my dog more because currently shes just a dog who stays home all day

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:01 pm

schistad; wrote:
    paranoid about parvo.. as someones 4 month old puppy recently got it.

ive never had anything to do with the dog’s vaccinations and im very lucky my mom used to be a vet tech. but right now shes busy so cant answer my questions.

so
    1) can my mom’s dogs give the puppy parvo??
    2) can the puppy get parvo after having the vaccinations?
    3) what age(s) do puppies get the parvo shots?
    4) does that mean no socialization ??
    5) can i purchase the vaccinations or can the vets only give them?

1. Yes
2. Yes, it's just less likely. Vaccines help build a response to fight the virus, but it's not 100% certain. You should still be careful.
3. 10-12 weeks, 14-16 weeks, 12-16 months.
4. You can socialize, but be careful. I wouldn't let a young puppy walk around a pet store or dog park.
5. I think you can purchase them in most places, but laws vary depending on where you are. Where I live you can buy all vaccines except rabies.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:14 pm

schistad; wrote:
    paranoid about parvo.. as someones 4 month old puppy recently got it.

ive never had anything to do with the dog’s vaccinations and im very lucky my mom used to be a vet tech. but right now shes busy so cant answer my questions.

so
    1) can my mom’s dogs give the puppy parvo??
    2) can the puppy get parvo after having the vaccinations?
    3) what age(s) do puppies get the parvo shots?
    4) does that mean no socialization ??
    5) can i purchase the vaccinations or can the vets only give them?

@tea I'm currently in school to be a vet tech, so yes someof what you stated is incorrect.

To your questions schistad;

1. Parvo is usually contacted through feces, so just keep your dog away from any poop, dog's should be cleaned up after anyways. Parvo is a very hardy virus also, and can remain in the soil for 6 months to a year after exposure, be cautious.

2. It takes approximately 2 weeks for the parvo vaccine to be effective. Additionally if the puppy didn't receive the last parvo shot(between 14-16 weeks) it still may not be fully protected.

3. A puppy should be vaccinated against parvo at ages 8, 12 and 16 weeks. You can also vaccinate again at one year, but it's not required.

4. Yes, if you can travel out of area (or wherever the puppy that got parvo was at) you can still socialize. After your dog has its age appropriate shots also.

5. Yes, you can purchase the vaccinations and give them yourself. If you have a tractor supply in your area, that's where you can buy them. Any feed store should carry them. You said your mom is a vet tech, she should be able to give them for you. Vets will say ' oh no don't give your puppy vaccines by yourself', that's just the veterinary industry trying to make money. I vaccinated Spade(who is now a year old)all by myself and she was never sick. The only vaccine only a vet can give is rabies, since that's required by law. I can PM you the link to the vaccine, if you want.

☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Just make sure that if you choose to vaccinate the dogs yourself, that they have been stored correctly.
I'd argue that most vets aren't trying to money grab by discouraging home vaccinations. I'm sure some do, but unless you have experience (like being a vet tech) it really is safer to let them do it.
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:34 pm

If vets can find a way to get a little more money in their pocket, let's face it, they will. Why do you think most advertise and encourage feeding of mainstream (and coincidentally the worst) dog foods? They are paid to.

That can be said though. Some vaccines available in-store may have not been handled and stored properly. Just from my experience though, everything worked out just fine and maybe hundreds of others can say the same. Also vaccines are so easy to give. Less that 30 seconds, unless you have a squirmy puppy.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marley.&.Me » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Oppie has to get his 3 year rabies vaccine on the 1st. poor baby has to have another shot because he’s allergic to the rabies shot and swells up..
Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:17 pm

I mean, personally, I've never had a vet try to push their particular brand of food on me. In fact I feed a brand that is a direct competitor of the one my vet carries and they didn't try to make me switch or even mention it other than making sure it was puppy food and not dog food.

In defense of vets, the mainstream companies invest in research to prove the claims they make of their food, thus vets can reccomend foods based on evidence. Many of the big pet food companies also develop perscription diets which have had their formula tested and proven to help the conditions they are designed for. So of course vets are going to more often work with those companies vs small companies (that cannot always support their claims) or homecooked diets (which leave a lot of room for error)

Sure this has resulted in making it harder for small companies or new ideas to progress in the industry. I'm not denying that there is room for improvement, and I'm not denying that there are money grabbers in the vet industry either (and they may be overzealous with perscribing expensive food) but there are people like that in every profession, and I wouldn't say it's disproportionate for vets.

But on the original topic of vaccinations at home, I think it's good that vets discourage it. Some people can be really clueless and vets have an obligation to reduce risk when they can. I still think that owners should have the right to do it at home, and I support those owners if they are confident and take the proper precautions.
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:32 pm

^^The type of photo I hoped to get of Kestrel. (Ft. Kota the entirely unfairly photogenic puppy)

^^The photo my idiot dog decides to give me 😑. Why do I keep this thing around again? I swear she’s too dumb for her own good.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marley.&.Me » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:35 pm

Hey be nice to Kes! it’s not her fault!

But then again Oppie is dumb too.
Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:45 pm

@.Middy. - Aw I love that picture of Kes, it's adorable.

Thanks to everyone who wished Chloe a happy birthday. :)
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me