* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby zoomzoombadaboom » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:24 pm

Squidge n' Such wrote:No problem! Since they've lost their forehead bars, they are officially adults. Guess they just aren't compatible with each other. You'll have to get one of them sorted into a different cage, otherwise there could be some bad fights in the future.

I kind of agree, but are you sure? Part of the time they are very friendly to each other, and I don't want them to be all alone if they're separated. Maybe they still just need time to get used to each other?
i quit cs, if any of my old friends see this, thank u for the memories :)
zoomzoombadaboom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tabbster » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:28 pm

asteroid ricochet. wrote:
Squidge n' Such wrote:No problem! Since they've lost their forehead bars, they are officially adults. Guess they just aren't compatible with each other. You'll have to get one of them sorted into a different cage, otherwise there could be some bad fights in the future.

I kind of agree, but are you sure? Part of the time they are very friendly to each other, and I don't want them to be all alone if they're separated. Maybe they still just need time to get used to each other?

Even if they're friendly with each other, consider what would happen if something happened while you weren't there. They'll still be able to play with each other of course, and have out of cage time, but I don't think it would be a good idea to let them live together. Whenever there's an argument in my aviary usually one of the birds will have to go. They can pluck feathers faster than they grow them, so even just a fight once in a while could be harmful.
Tabbster

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:04 pm

I wanna add that birds can be very vicious when they fight if there's no one there to monitor or separate them. I've heard horror stories of birds killing other birds that they seemed to be previously very friendly with. All it takes is one bad fight :(
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Annebird » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Pyjaks wrote:
Annebird wrote:
Pyjaks wrote:I'm very sorry to hear about all the losses D: I hope everyone is doing okay <3

On a lighter note, Zazu and I have discovered a new love- strawberry and banana smoothies. I made one for breakfast this morning and my little guy is OBSESSED. I finished it twenty minutes ago and he's still begging for more, lol. Do any of your birds have foods that they really love like that?

My tiel is much more picky thn my green cheeked, but he loves noodles! he eats them quite rambunctiously and actually ends up with a ton of noodle guts all suspended from his beak :lol:
my green cheeked, tiko, basically eats anything under the sun (including my other bird's leftovers...)
he attacks apples like no tomorrow pfft

Hahaha I completely understand the noodle beak. Zazu always has a filthy beak because he eats so messily.

zazu sounds like such a character ooom <333
i'd love to see some pics!
Hiss
Annebird

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:15 pm

Here you go! He loves to give himself head scratches when I wont do it :P

Also, this picture. It's what he does every time I leave my room XD
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoomzoombadaboom » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Alright. I've decided I'm separating them tomorrow. Winter is continuously attacking Lemon Pepper and they will not stop fighting over everything. But which bird should I take out of the cage, if not both? If I get another bird in the future to put in the bigger cage with one/both of them, I don't want one bird being really territorial since it had the cage all to itself after one was removed.

Note; Both birds are wild and untamed. It is not easy on any of us transporting them.

Edit; I will be holding off separating them until my question is answered.
Also, would it possibly help to keep them together, but let them out of their cage often so they get some space once in a while, and something to do to distract them from fighting? They've never been out before because I have cats, but I plan to start letting them out soon, once I make sure my room is safe for them.
Last edited by zoomzoombadaboom on Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
i quit cs, if any of my old friends see this, thank u for the memories :)
zoomzoombadaboom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ParaKitty » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:17 pm

hmm, so one of my 2 budgies, Kyle, died on Sunday. His cage friend Sunshine has been with him for about 5 years now? Sunshine seems kinda down and lonely now. He seems slightly fluffed up with a sometimes quivering tail. I'm not sure if it's because of the cold or if he's sad/sick (or possibly both?). The house is usually around 72°F in the winter, so I have a blanket to cover the cage with. I may or may not getting him a new friend sometime soon, but would that help?
ParaKitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tabbster » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:40 am

ParaKitty wrote:hmm, so one of my 2 budgies, Kyle, died on Sunday. His cage friend Sunshine has been with him for about 5 years now? Sunshine seems kinda down and lonely now. He seems slightly fluffed up with a sometimes quivering tail. I'm not sure if it's because of the cold or if he's sad/sick (or possibly both?). The house is usually around 72°F in the winter, so I have a blanket to cover the cage with. I may or may not getting him a new friend sometime soon, but would that help?

Sorry for your loss! He sounds sick to me, it could be something he caught from Kyle. Hold off on getting him another friend or you may end up with two sick birds. If you decide to get another budgie, find one his age. If you get a young one you'll have an endless cycle of lonely budgies. He's probably not all that sad, in all the time I've had birds not a single budgie cared if another died, not even mated pairs.
Tabbster

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Annebird » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:01 am

Pyjaks wrote:Here you go! He loves to give himself head scratches when I wont do it :P

Also, this picture. It's what he does every time I leave my room XD

omg what a cutie!!!!!! <3 i can smell his spunk all the way from here :lol:
Hiss
Annebird

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ParaKitty » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:06 am

Squidge n' Such wrote:
ParaKitty wrote:hmm, so one of my 2 budgies, Kyle, died on Sunday. His cage friend Sunshine has been with him for about 5 years now? Sunshine seems kinda down and lonely now. He seems slightly fluffed up with a sometimes quivering tail. I'm not sure if it's because of the cold or if he's sad/sick (or possibly both?). The house is usually around 72°F in the winter, so I have a blanket to cover the cage with. I may or may not getting him a new friend sometime soon, but would that help?

Sorry for your loss! He sounds sick to me, it could be something he caught from Kyle. Hold off on getting him another friend or you may end up with two sick birds. If you decide to get another budgie, find one his age. If you get a young one you'll have an endless cycle of lonely budgies. He's probably not all that sad, in all the time I've had birds not a single budgie cared if another died, not even mated pairs.

Ah okay, thank you. Sunshine is at least 5 years old, but I'm not sure of his exact age because he's a recessive pied. Yeah, I was afraid of getting another budgie because that might happen. Kyle was the "new friend" for Sunshine since Sky died. Kyle was at least 8 months old when we got him. I'll see if Sunshine gets better. c:
edit: he didn't seem fluffed up or have a quivering tail today. He also chirped a bit today. That's good right?
ParaKitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me