* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Rinsea » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:47 am

Which side of the cuttlebone should be facing my bird?
Rinsea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoomzoombadaboom » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:13 am

Update on my two budgies;
I'm getting nervous about Winter and Lemon Pepper. They're almost always fighting over food (even though they have 2 separate food bowls they COULD be using and sometimes do) or a perch/toy. Sometimes Winter will fly around and squawk like mad and make Lemon Pepper fall to the floor. I guess it may be normal behavior since they are both females and both their ceres are turning brown. But I have noticed their forehead feathers are a bit ruffled-looking like there may have been some missing feathers, and I've caught them screeching at each other. I keep having to break up their fights so they don't do any harm to each other. However, they still do preen each other, sleep together, chatter and chirp to each other, and feed each other. I don't want to have to separate them or they'll be sad and lonely again, but I don't want them to get hurt. I guess I'll just wait and see?
i quit cs, if any of my old friends see this, thank u for the memories :)
zoomzoombadaboom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tabbster » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:05 am

SilverIcyCat wrote:Which side of the cuttlebone should be facing my bird?

The soft side, the hard shell is too much for their beak.

asteroid ricochet. wrote:Update on my two budgies;
I'm getting nervous about Winter and Lemon Pepper. They're almost always fighting over food (even though they have 2 separate food bowls they COULD be using and sometimes do) or a perch/toy. Sometimes Winter will fly around and squawk like mad and make Lemon Pepper fall to the floor. I guess it may be normal behavior since they are both females and both their ceres are turning brown. But I have noticed their forehead feathers are a bit ruffled-looking like there may have been some missing feathers, and I've caught them screeching at each other. I keep having to break up their fights so they don't do any harm to each other. However, they still do preen each other, sleep together, chatter and chirp to each other, and feed each other. I don't want to have to separate them or they'll be sad and lonely again, but I don't want them to get hurt. I guess I'll just wait and see?

Could they be molting? Budgies get really temperamental while the molt. It's also breeding season for budgies, so that will turn them angry and bitter towards each other. My two females are actually molting right now and they're not very happy. If it turns out they are not molting and actually plucking each others feathers, separate them. Budgies aren't as innocent as the seem and won't hesitate to kill each other just like any other parrot. All it would take is a beak to the eye, so It's not worth the risk.
Tabbster

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rinsea » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:59 pm

@squidge

how do I know which is the soft side ;-; Is it the side with layers and a bit powdery? I'm sorry I really do not know ;-;
Rinsea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tabbster » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:32 am

SilverIcyCat wrote:@squidge

how do I know which is the soft side ;-; Is it the side with layers and a bit powdery? I'm sorry I really do not know ;-;

Yep! The soft side will scratch off into a powder, It's kind of like chalk. The hard side is like a shell and won't.
Tabbster

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Annebird » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:12 am

Pyjaks wrote:I'm very sorry to hear about all the losses D: I hope everyone is doing okay <3

On a lighter note, Zazu and I have discovered a new love- strawberry and banana smoothies. I made one for breakfast this morning and my little guy is OBSESSED. I finished it twenty minutes ago and he's still begging for more, lol. Do any of your birds have foods that they really love like that?

My tiel is much more picky thn my green cheeked, but he loves noodles! he eats them quite rambunctiously and actually ends up with a ton of noodle guts all suspended from his beak :lol:
my green cheeked, tiko, basically eats anything under the sun (including my other bird's leftovers...)
he attacks apples like no tomorrow pfft
Hiss
Annebird

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoomzoombadaboom » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:59 am

Squidge n' Such wrote:
asteroid ricochet. wrote:Update on my two budgies;

Could they be molting? Budgies get really temperamental while the molt. It's also breeding season for budgies, so that will turn them angry and bitter towards each other. My two females are actually molting right now and they're not very happy. If it turns out they are not molting and actually plucking each others feathers, separate them. Budgies aren't as innocent as the seem and won't hesitate to kill each other just like any other parrot. All it would take is a beak to the eye, so It's not worth the risk.

I'm not sure if they're molting; I do see them plucking/dropping fallen feathers occasionally, but they've both lost their forehead bars.
i quit cs, if any of my old friends see this, thank u for the memories :)
zoomzoombadaboom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rinsea » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:04 am

Squidge n' Such wrote:
SilverIcyCat wrote:@squidge

Yep! The soft side will scratch off into a powder, It's kind of like chalk. The hard side is like a shell and won't.

Alright!! Thank you so much ^.^
Rinsea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tabbster » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:14 pm

No problem! Since they've lost their forehead bars, they are officially adults. Guess they just aren't compatible with each other. You'll have to get one of them sorted into a different cage, otherwise there could be some bad fights in the future.
Tabbster

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Annebird wrote:
Pyjaks wrote:I'm very sorry to hear about all the losses D: I hope everyone is doing okay <3

On a lighter note, Zazu and I have discovered a new love- strawberry and banana smoothies. I made one for breakfast this morning and my little guy is OBSESSED. I finished it twenty minutes ago and he's still begging for more, lol. Do any of your birds have foods that they really love like that?

My tiel is much more picky thn my green cheeked, but he loves noodles! he eats them quite rambunctiously and actually ends up with a ton of noodle guts all suspended from his beak :lol:
my green cheeked, tiko, basically eats anything under the sun (including my other bird's leftovers...)
he attacks apples like no tomorrow pfft

Hahaha I completely understand the noodle beak. Zazu always has a filthy beak because he eats so messily.
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me