Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Vulcriptic » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:33 am

Hi! I recently became obsessed with horses ^^ I really would like to own one, But sadly can't ;-; I really would like to get some riding lessons atleast, So I'm hoping to get some soon when Me or My Family has enough money, Heh. My Favorite Breed is Lipizzan lel
Vulcriptic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fishstix. » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:28 pm

Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this thread~ I own two female American Paint Horses and I'm thinking of getting a third one, the two horses I have were my mom's but she let's me take care of them now and says they're mine. They're getting old though, and I really love horses so are there any suggestions? I'd like to get a breed different from these two this time(Don't get me wrong though, I think American Paints are my favorite breed I just love their patterns
fishstix.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sky, » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:32 pm

I have always been obsessed with horses <3 I used to ride, but stopped because I didn't want to be confined.
I wanted a horse of my own (I was really young). Spirit was my favorite movie and I wanted a mustang just
like him. The only thing is...... I can't get one.

It is funny because all of the pets on my wishlist are horses or horse edits. I didn't even notice until recently.
sky,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kecko » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:35 am

Hey guys! I have a question. I am looking at a pony/youth saddle for a kid who comes and rides my pony, Scooby. Scooby wears a 5 inch gullet saddle and the saddle I'm looking at is a 5.5 (don't worry, he has a good saddle pad that can make up the difference if needed) but it is in pony bars. I've never heard of pony bars so how different are they from QH Bars and would I need a bigger size gullet? Thanks!
ImageImage

Toxic Hoarder: 65 Toxics so far
Kecko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tenturo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:26 pm

wooh lordy, lets get some replies in before my updates..

Xuoit wrote:Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this thread~ I own two female American Paint Horses and I'm thinking of getting a third one, the two horses I have were my mom's but she let's me take care of them now and says they're mine. They're getting old though, and I really love horses so are there any suggestions? I'd like to get a breed different from these two this time(Don't get me wrong though, I think American Paints are my favorite breed I just love their patterns

hmm.. i'd love to give some advice here but it'd help if i knew more about you're riding - english/western, do you show or train in a certain disciple (s), how long have you been riding, is there goals you want to obtain, etc .? this would hell me figure out breeds that usually do very well for what you do.

Kecko wrote:Hey guys! I have a question. I am looking at a pony/youth saddle for a kid who comes and rides my pony, Scooby. Scooby wears a 5 inch gullet saddle and the saddle I'm looking at is a 5.5 (don't worry, he has a good saddle pad that can make up the difference if needed) but it is in pony bars. I've never heard of pony bars so how different are they from QH Bars and would I need a bigger size gullet? Thanks!

in all honesty i have never heard of "pony bars" as typically most just go by semi-quarter horse bars and full quarter horse bars (i've heard others but never pony bars..) so i can't really say, because i'm not too sure what "pony bars" even are? i know what bars are in the saddle, but i don't want to provide any false information or have you base your decisions on what i choose. is there any way they would let you try the saddle on your pony to see how well it'd fit him? if things differentiate between terms and measurements, i'd ask if that's possible, as i had to test out saddles for my mare because she's such an odd size.

@everyone else: welcome ! i hope y'all have fun on the thread <3

------------------------

my updates: <3

so! this weekend was a big weekend for myself and sassy. we got quite a bit done and i'm honestly so pleased. however, she's been an absolute pain to catch for the past week and a half, and i'm not too sure why. by this i mean, running around the pasture for 30 minutes anytime i try to catch her. and her just having a sour attitude, galloping off, turning real sharp - she even got gus's old self running too!

however, once caught she was fine so i wasn't too concerned. she tacked up a little nervously the first day as it'd been a few weeks since we'd ridden (it was dreadfully hot here. it's finally starting to drop though) so i took a little break.
      buttttt yes, so - i did a bit of ground work to warm up, just little things and tuning and whatnot, which we dont have panels for our round pen set up yet, but theres a huuuge circle of dusty sandy dirt where it's going to be, so we do our ground work over there (just without confinements yet). she surprisingly did really good - i was quite impressed. she was a little nervous still (which i understood) about me riding so i took it slow, and once we actually rode that day she honestly did really good. i was very pleased <3

though, the next day wasn't so smooth. she was being a lot harder to catch, and was being a little cow during our ground work. she did okay for most of it but once i got to where i was going to ride, she'd move away and then turn to face me. i finally got to where she'd let me stand by her and she'd stand calmly, but as soon as i put my foot in the stirrup, she'd move away from me and then turn and face me. my grandmother came to try to help by holding her still for me, but she's wary of new people and my grandmother is rarely around her, so it didn't change anything. all in all, it was a pretty good weekend and she got a good sweat in both days (and so did i , hah!)

i was extremely busy with school this week (and the heat spiked yet again) anddd we're re-doing many rooms in our home so i've been very busy this weekend as well. gus has gotten a good break recently though, old joints are bothering him a little so tomorrow i'll be picking up a joint supplement while im in town, hopefully it'll help.

i'd love to hear peoples input on this, so here's a question for all y'all:
      Code: Select all
      [b]What is your opinion on costumes on/involving people's horses?[/b]

to elaborate - painting on the horse or putting costumes on them, etc.
      <33

░░
    i promise
    ────────────────────────────
    l
    tenturo
    she / her
    gemini
    ⋯ ⋯⋯⋯⋯
    i am
    ⋯⋯⋯⋯ ⋯
    pansexual
    infp-t
    active
    ┌─── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ─┐
    [url]comms[/url] ⋅ kalscredit ⋅ [url]n/a[/url] ⋅ to-do

└─ ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ───┘
    '┌─ ── ── ── ─┐
    '│─ ── ││ ── ─│
    '└─ ── ── ── ─┘
    ███
    ███
    ┌─ ── ── ── ─┐
    │─ ── ││ ── ─│
    └─ ── ── ── ─┘

'───────────────────────────────'
    worthy!!lxworthy!!
    [ ─`;.-' TO HOLD ─ ]l
    ┌ ┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄ ┐
    you matter
    sleepy
    pms open <3
    comms open
    └ ┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄ ┘
    ── in your ───
    [`arms.❜'

tenturo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:04 pm

Xuoit wrote:Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this thread~ I own two female American Paint Horses and I'm thinking of getting a third one, the two horses I have were my mom's but she let's me take care of them now and says they're mine. They're getting old though, and I really love horses so are there any suggestions? I'd like to get a breed different from these two this time(Don't get me wrong though, I think American Paints are my favorite breed I just love their patterns

As Tenturo said, it depends on what you want to do with the horse (riding style, trails/pleasure/competing etc). Do you have more specific reason why you don't want another Paint or is it just a feeling? For simple pleasure riding pretty much any horse that's suitable in size could do and it would come more down to the individual (as it always does in the end).

Kecko wrote:Hey guys! I have a question. I am looking at a pony/youth saddle for a kid who comes and rides my pony, Scooby. Scooby wears a 5 inch gullet saddle and the saddle I'm looking at is a 5.5 (don't worry, he has a good saddle pad that can make up the difference if needed) but it is in pony bars. I've never heard of pony bars so how different are they from QH Bars and would I need a bigger size gullet? Thanks!

I know very little about western saddles, but I have stumbled on some information about their fit. I think the pony bars could potentially be in slight different angle than the QH bars. Like if you have to same gullet size saddles but the angle of the bars is different, the the distance measured at the bottom of the bars will be different (assuming the bars are same lenght). Lenght of the bars migth be another thing, at least in english saddles some saddles have shorter bars than others. But really your best bet would be testing out the saddle on Scooby, or have it side by side with your current saddle, to see where's the differance if there's one.

@What is your opinion on costumes on/involving people's horses?: I actually think it looks fun, I have never had a chance to do it myself. Obviously you need to make sure the horse is okay with the costume and there's nothing that can cause injury to the horse. Like floaty capes or things attached to the tack can be scary to some horses and they might need de-sensitation before the actual costume event. Some migth never get used to things, so that needs to be taken into consideration as well.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ryukrem » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:17 am

Hime wrote:@What is your opinion on costumes on/involving people's horses?: I actually think it looks fun, I have never had a chance to do it myself. Obviously you need to make sure the horse is okay with the costume and there's nothing that can cause injury to the horse. Like floaty capes or things attached to the tack can be scary to some horses and they might need de-sensitation before the actual costume event. Some migth never get used to things, so that needs to be taken into consideration as well.

I dress me & my horse up every year now!!
    I've dressed Quincey up as Ironman the last year I rode him. Last year I dressed Alice up as a bridge and had her field mate as a groom. They were married to each other with me as the ring bearer (i wore my show clothes) and my best friend as the flower girl. They looked so cute and I have lots of photos xD I dressed Alice up for Christmas last year too. She's so chill with stuff and didn't care about any of it. This Halloween I think she's going to be the solar system, so stay tuned xD

ryukrem - lesbian - taken <3

prefer to roleplay off site. pm me.

roleplay search
ryukrem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fishstix. » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:30 am

Sorry I took so long to reply, and yes I don't want another paint just because of a feeling

I've been riding since I was like 9, and more of an English style
fishstix.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kestrell » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 am

If it were me, I would have a pro saddle fitter out. At least in my area, you can call an equine store that sells saddles and they usually have a fitter. Maybe you could even just talk to one on the phone about it since the pro would know more than most of us.

What is your opinion on costumes on/involving people's horses?
As long as the horse was properly prepared for the costume I think it's really cool and fun. Costume classes are always fun to see because (for the most part) it's a safe and cute way to celebrate the holiday with your horse!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello I am Kestrel! Call me whatever
I go by she/her pronouns
I am very fond of any sort of art
I am usually very shy...but I don't bite!

LinkLink
coding
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kestrell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ξƞçɧαƞtєđ » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Hello everyone!

I guess this shall be a habit...to leave for a while and then pop back in randomly.

Started school (honors college student) so time is short.

Mr. Buck is doing grand. School has gotten in the way of the end of show season (regretfully) so we didn't get as much time in the ring as I would have liked, but he's not short on things to do and even helped me with a lesson when one of my students' own horse (the mare she uses for lessons) had a bad case of rainrot- so instead of cancelling the lesson, Buck volunteered as tribute and he did amazing! The little girl had fun brushing his tail out afterwards too (her mare has a short stubby tail lol).

Buck has tackled the obstacle course with flying colors and he no longer blinks once crossing the bridge, dragging a tarp, jumping turned barrels, doing 180 or 90 degree turns backwards, etc.. Just awesome!

He's also gotten a little taste of internet fame...a couple photos of his that I posted in some large equine groups on FB have been memed and have been shared worldwide with 30k views in total. Ended up making him a little fan page to hold all his funny pics and videos. XD

I also got curious and got him a couple appointments with an animal communicator- which has definitely left me awestruck because that lady was coming out with things that I hadn't told a soul about but knew existed. It was amazing and Buck had loads to say. XD

So happy to see so many familiar faces still here! If you can, please do send a quick summary of how you and yours horses have been doing! <3
"тняσυgн αcтιση, α мαη вεcσмεs α нεяσ
тняσυgн dεαтн, α нεяσ вεcσмεs α ℓεgεηd
тняσυgн тιмε, α ℓεgεηd вεcσмεs α мүтн
αη∂ вү ℓεαяηιηg ғяσм тнε мүтн α мαη тαкεs αcтιση."
ξƞçɧαƞtєđ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me