Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby TaiiTeaa » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:54 am

Hey all! I’m Tai, a novice to real fishkeeping. (I had goldfish and bettas in bowls when I was little)

I have a 10-gallon tank with a betta and three pygmy cories, heated, filtered, cycled, the works. I’ve got six species of live plants in there, Anubias, java fern, Amazon sword, hygrophilia, elodea, and marimo moss. All are doing well, though the sword is a recent addition and still kinda melting.

I focus on behavior with my betta, Leo, and he’s an awesome fish. He’s completely tame and trained, acts like a little puppy swimming around my arm and hand when I’m cleaning the tank. He follows a chopstick around the tank (including from behind the glass), differentiates between colored felt, swims through plastic hoops, swims through a hand hoop, swims into a travel cup when presented with one, rests on top of my hand when I lay it flat below the water, and flares with an open/closed hand signal. I’m an animal trainer at heart and dedicate my life to training the animals most people don’t believe can be taught anything, through positive reinforcement, time, and love.

I don’t want any more tanks, but my plans for the future include working more with Leo and desensitizing him to travel so that I can share how intelligent many animals commonly thought to be “dumb” are!

Nice to meet y’all, I hope to become and stay active on this thread!
heyo! I’m Tai, a teenage animator and artist with a passion for animals! I’m not really in the pets game anymore, mostly here for art (buying and selling!) and minigames.

I go by she/her but tbh I won’t be at all offended if you get it wrong, have a great day!
TaiiTeaa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby medicalpaws » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:20 pm

-snip-
Solved!
Last edited by medicalpaws on Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c4ccommissionsadopt shop ♡ +21 ♡ MST
* working on social anxiety
please be patient and kind ♡

Proud memeber since 2012
Send me a trade
Hmu in the comments
Gimme a phat like ☆

Have a good day ♡
medicalpaws

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby medicalpaws » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:12 pm

I’m freaking out, what the heck is this https://imgur.com/a/3hGqBnb
c4ccommissionsadopt shop ♡ +21 ♡ MST
* working on social anxiety
please be patient and kind ♡

Proud memeber since 2012
Send me a trade
Hmu in the comments
Gimme a phat like ☆

Have a good day ♡
medicalpaws

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Evils » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:01 am

AngelBowties wrote:I’m freaking out, what the heck is this https://imgur.com/a/3hGqBnb

Do you have any idea what that could be? Do you have snails in your tank? What kind of fish do you have or are there only plants?
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality." - Edgar Allan Poe
Evils

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby olivionary » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:32 am

Evils wrote:
AngelBowties wrote:I’m freaking out, what the heck is this https://imgur.com/a/3hGqBnb

Do you have any idea what that could be? Do you have snails in your tank? What kind of fish do you have or are there only plants?

They are snail eggs. They can simply be scraped off of the glass.
edon & shania pixels by syntheticfox - vern by loafhound - vern and laith pixels by rayxray

ImageImage
━━━━━━━━━━━━
olivia. she/her. feb 14.

"You're as subtle
as a wrecking ball."

━━━━━━━━━━━━
ImageImage
olivionary

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raven_Wolf » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:11 am

I'm so excited. I just got a Fluvel Flex, which is going to be a pea puffer tank (my betta tank is getting over run with snails :? )

Are there any suggestions for me (decorating, plants, etc....)?
ImageImage
Raven_Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby olivionary » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:45 am

Raven_Wolf wrote:
I'm so excited. I just got a Fluvel Flex, which is going to be a pea puffer tank (my betta tank is getting over run with snails :? )

I’ve never kept Pea Puffers, but they’re one of the species we regularly have in store. I’d recommend rocks, not smooth pebbles, as some species of Puffers do use rock to wear their teeth down. I’d also be more inclined to suggest sand, although I haven’t seen the behaviour in Pea Puffers, the Green Spotted, the Mbu and Fahaka all like to blow on the sand when they look for snails. Pea Puffers might not be best at snail eating until you’ve got reasonable size on them, but we predominantly feed blood worm which is longer than they are and they love it so they’re usually full and don’t pay attention to the snails xD

If you’re wanting regular, reliable snail eaters, I’d probably suggest Green Spotted or Figure Eights over Pygmys (depending which Fluval Flex you have as they come in a few sizes). They’re bigger, but not too big so should be more inclined to eat them, but should also be supplemented with Bloodworms. I’ve actively fed snails to these species, but never to a Pygmy.

Plant wise you can probably get away with whatever you want as they won’t eat them. I’d probably look at Cryptos as they are pretty chill plants to grow. Maybe zealandia if you want something for them to hide amongst? Or you could do some dragon rock with moss.
edon & shania pixels by syntheticfox - vern by loafhound - vern and laith pixels by rayxray

ImageImage
━━━━━━━━━━━━
olivia. she/her. feb 14.

"You're as subtle
as a wrecking ball."

━━━━━━━━━━━━
ImageImage
olivionary

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raven_Wolf » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:20 am

olivionary wrote:
Raven_Wolf wrote:

I’ve never kept Pea Puffers, but they’re one of the species we regularly have in store. I’d recommend rocks, not smooth pebbles, as some species of Puffers do use rock to wear their teeth down. I’d also be more inclined to suggest sand, although I haven’t seen the behaviour in Pea Puffers, the Green Spotted, the Mbu and Fahaka all like to blow on the sand when they look for snails. Pea Puffers might not be best at snail eating until you’ve got reasonable size on them, but we predominantly feed blood worm which is longer than they are and they love it so they’re usually full and don’t pay attention to the snails xD

If you’re wanting regular, reliable snail eaters, I’d probably suggest Green Spotted or Figure Eights over Pygmys (depending which Fluval Flex you have as they come in a few sizes). They’re bigger, but not too big so should be more inclined to eat them, but should also be supplemented with Bloodworms. I’ve actively fed snails to these species, but never to a Pygmy.

Plant wise you can probably get away with whatever you want as they won’t eat them. I’d probably look at Cryptos as they are pretty chill plants to grow. Maybe zealandia if you want something for them to hide amongst? Or you could do some dragon rock with moss.

Awesome! Thank you for all your advise! :D

I have the cube Fluvel Flex (it's a 15 gallon). I also have blood worms already from feeding them to my axolotl
ImageImage
Raven_Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby miku » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:51 am

Username: miku
How many fish tanks do you have: just one!
Types of fish that you have: betta
Your fishs' names: mikasa
How long have you had fish: (do not share your age!) i’ve had a couple other bettas over the years, it’s been a long time since i’ve owned one though and i’m happy to have one again

she came in the mail yesterday and i am so excited to have her since her tank has been cycled and ready for a while now! i haven’t taken any fantastic pictures of her yet since she’s still settling in but here’s a decent screenshot from a video i took:

here’s a stash folder of the picture above and a couple others from the seller:
https://sta.sh/2lzdslsfh1p?edit=1
not very active here, but i’ll probably be on for events
╔══════════════════════╗
she/they | pfp | sig
╚══════════════════════╝

miku

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes