Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Lonin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:32 am

deadroses. wrote:I have a 3.5 gallon tank for my betta and every week i do a 50% water change because of how heavy the tank is. During this, I clean the plants and scrub the tank walls. Do i need to do a 100% water change?

You don't need to change 50 or 100% of the water. You basically never do large water changes as the difference in things like temperature and pH can stress the fish.
It's not a good idea to move the tank while there's water in it as you can damage it and cause eventual leaks as well as stress your fish out. Assuming you have a filter (you need one) and your tank is cycled you should be doing 20%ish water changes every week. You can either use a gravel vacuum to clean your substrate or just a jug will work too.
If you don't have a filter or you don't know what cycling is you first need to get a filter as well as a heater if you don't have one. Then look up fish in cycling. You'll need to do more frequent water changes until your tank is cycled, but this should be 20%ish every few days rather than 50% once a week.

deadroses. wrote:also, can small goldfish live in bowls and not tanks?

No fish can live in a bowl :c
Even the smallest goldfish grow really big and are incredibly messy meaning they need extra filtration. They're social so they do best in pairs or groups too.
There are some smaller types but this should give you an idea of how big goldfish can get and why they can't live in bowls:
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby deadroses. » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:08 am

Checkinder wrote:
deadroses. wrote:also, can small goldfish live in bowls and not tanks?

Goldfish produce a LOT of waste and bowls are no where near enough space for them. Most people recommend a 20 gallon for one goldfish, but you also have to consider the type of goldfish.
Fancies and such can live in about 30 gallons but commons can get very large and are considered pond fish.
Not to mention most recommend a filter stronger than what is normally recommended for the tank. To give you an idea I've got two goldfish, one is a pond goldfish but they're still relatively small but will be given the proper pond when I find someone with one, in a 30 gallon and there are two filters running.

Thank you!
FREE PALESTINE

intj Image
F1, noah kahan, camus, hozier, AM, grishaverse, marvel AOS, young royals, p!@td, palaye royale
Image Image
deadroses.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cetacea » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:05 am

does anyone have any tips on lowering water hardness? i recently tested my 20g as i am preparing to have a betta sorority, and i want to have the most ideal water conditions as possible.
Cetacea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Trphlthdl » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:33 am

Darrow wrote:
does anyone have any tips on lowering water hardness? i recently tested my 20g as i am preparing to have a betta sorority, and i want to have the most ideal water conditions as possible.

Before I tell you how to lower the hardness of your water I would like to urge you not to do a sorority. While betters are absolutely gorgeous fish, they do not get along regardless of whether they're male or female. No matter how big your tank is, how well you've tried to make sure you have the least aggressive females possible, or how much cover you have it will fail. The nature of betta splendens, having been bred to fight before being bred for beauty so they are just as aggressive as they were before they had long fins and pretty colors. This includes the females. Even if they are not outright fighting, they will nip each other or posture and even little things can set them off. If this does not change your mind please be sure to have suitable tanks to put the females in when the sorority falls apart.

A few alternatives to a betta sorority are:
A sorority of livebearers, such as platys, mollies, or guppies - fish who also have a wide range of color and do not need the water softened. (You will probably get babies, if you do not want babies you could do a fraternity)

WIld betta - wild betta are generally much less aggressive than their 'domesticated' counterparts, and while they are less colorful they are much, much more beautiful. They will, however, require much more research as good information is more difficult to find. I would be more than happy to assist you with researching wild betta!

A community tank - while this depends entirely on the betta you get, it's very possible to run a community tank which features a betta as your centerpiece fish. Please be sure to get suitable soft water tank mates that do not nip fins. Most tetras will not work, however rasboras are an excellent schooling fish for such a tank (and there are several types that come in fun colors).

I'm very sorry if this comes off as harsh or rude, but the amount of betta sororities I've seen crash even when the tank owner was doing their very best to give the betta the best environment possible is unbelievable. I did not mean to offend, feel free to pm if something really truly rubbed you the wrong way.

As for softening your water, there are a few ways to do this.

Driftwood - driftwood provides a nice touch to your tank, though will likely stain your water brown. You can negate this effect by boiling the driftwood for... awhile. Like a really long time. Some people, however, like the look of the tannin stained water. A quick google of blackwater tanks can give you an idea of what the stained water looks like. Carbon in your filter can remove some of these tannins, but I am not sure if it reduces the effect of the driftwood on the hardness of the water.

Indian Almond leaves and Alder Cones - much like driftwood, these also release tannins into your water. Again, some people enjoy it, some people don't. Personal preference.

Api Kits - I believe Api has a few kits for water adjustment, though I have never used them so I cannot add an opinion to their usefulness and/or stability.

Water Softener/RO system - These remove calcium and magnesium from the water, what makes the water hard. They are, however, expensive and if you can't afford one they can be hard to get access to. They can only soften water to a certain extent, but will not stain your water.

Peat - I would not recommend peat. The collection of peat is unsustainable and harmful to the environment due to the time it takes for peat to form (a really, really long time). It is however an option. I am not sure if it stains the water.
Trphlthdl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cetacea » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:48 am

Queen Of Aces wrote:
Darrow wrote:

-snip-

Oof, well I'll take your word on it, and I think I'll do research on some other fish then. Thanks for the advice though, and I'll be sure to try some of these tips. I'll think I'll look into some rasboras
Cetacea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Checkinder » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:24 am

Hmm
Okay friends I'm at a loss here. I'm about to do a water change on the tank in question so don't worry about that.

I've got a Platy here, still alive and such no worries, but they've got two twin lumps just below their mouth and their fins are pretty clamped. One lump appears to be slightly larger than the other as well. They're very inactive and I thought they were dead when I first checked the tank.
Perimeters are a little higher than what they should be, ammonia being around .25ish but I can blame that mostly on the fact another fish had died today. (Unrelated to this one, it was fighting a swim bladder issue for a while)
Does anyone have any clue on what it could be? I've tried reading around a bit but I can't find anything like this.
Check - He/They/It

If you need to contact me quickly, my Discord is
Checkinder#6566
Trading all my pets for C$ and all Store Pets for
character art. DM me if you'd like to offer art/etc
for the Store Pets.
My Kalons

Art by friend on Discord
Checkinder

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby YourLocalBreadDealer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:27 am

Sobs bc when i first came here i thought you meant the actual food fish

Anyways
Any types of guppy that wont eat young? (Or a rlly low chance or it happening?)

Also all my guppies keep dying.
I have a big tank, and make sure theres multiple. 1-2 per gallon. Theres a filter and i usually use one of those tap water cleaners every few weeks. I dunno whats going on ;;
don't be flippin' rude

also

good things come to those who ARKARKARKARKARK

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 12 people.
I have received 10 gifts.
YourLocalBreadDealer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:09 am

T a l l u l a h wrote:Sobs bc when i first came here i thought you meant the actual food fish

Anyways
Any types of guppy that wont eat young? (Or a rlly low chance or it happening?)

Also all my guppies keep dying.
I have a big tank, and make sure theres multiple. 1-2 per gallon. Theres a filter and i usually use one of those tap water cleaners every few weeks. I dunno whats going on ;;

All fish will eat anything that fits in their mouth. You can increase their chances of survival by adding lots of plants for them to hide in. The only way to ensure they survive is to have them in a separate tank or breeder box.

How big is big?
Filling out this form would help:
Code: Select all
[b]How many gallons is your tank?:[/b]
[b]Number and Type of fish in tank:[/b]
[b]How long has it been running?:[/b]
[b]Did you cycle it?:[/b]
[b]If possible what are the ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels?:[/b]
[b]Does it have a heater?[/b]
[b]If it has a thermometer, what is the water temperature?[/b]
[b]What is the issue or question?:[/b]
[b]Any other information?:[/b]

If you have any photos, please post them. Photos help a lot for diagnosis.

Water conditioner needs to be added to all the water you put in your tank, so when you do water changes, you don't need to randomly add it every few weeeks c:
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Polly44 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:25 am

Trphlthdl wrote:
Darrow wrote:

Before I tell you how to lower the hardness of your water I would like to urge you not to do a sorority. While betters are absolutely gorgeous fish, they do not get along regardless of whether they're male or female. No matter how big your tank is, how well you've tried to make sure you have the least aggressive females possible, or how much cover you have it will fail. The nature of betta splendens, having been bred to fight before being bred for beauty so they are just as aggressive as they were before they had long fins and pretty colors. This includes the females. Even if they are not outright fighting, they will nip each other or posture and even little things can set them off. If this does not change your mind please be sure to have suitable tanks to put the females in when the sorority falls apart.

I have heard of Betta Sororities working actually. And i know for a fact that they can work as i work in a shop that sells fish and has done it. We had a heavily planted 70 litre tank i think it was and there were around 5 or 6 females in there and they were (as far as i know) fine in there for a few months, until the boss got bored and changed it around. xD I never noticed any of them in a bad condition either- though there is of course a possiblity that i was just too busy to notice, but i did frequently check them all out, as i loved it. They were all lovely and i so wanted to set one up myself.
While i agree that there will be nipping and bickering and small things can set it all off, i know it is certainly possible, albeit difficult and i don't know how long term it could be either.

Checkinder wrote:
Hmm
Okay friends I'm at a loss here. I'm about to do a water change on the tank in question so don't worry about that.

I've got a Platy here, still alive and such no worries, but they've got two twin lumps just below their mouth and their fins are pretty clamped. One lump appears to be slightly larger than the other as well. They're very inactive and I thought they were dead when I first checked the tank.
Perimeters are a little higher than what they should be, ammonia being around .25ish but I can blame that mostly on the fact another fish had died today. (Unrelated to this one, it was fighting a swim bladder issue for a while)
Does anyone have any clue on what it could be? I've tried reading around a bit but I can't find anything like this.

Sounds like a tumor to be honest. Well that is what i would think anyway.

On another note i am really hoping my dad will let me get another fish tank soon. We have been looking after a Map Turtle (long story) but we bought a new filter for it, as the old one was horrible and kept smelling...etc. However if we find said Turtle a new home, but keep the filter than i can hopefully buy an awesome new fish tank for it!!!!! We have some epic Oak tanks at work and i would love to get one. The filter does up to 150 Litres, which would be amazing as mine is only 28 litres.
I would love to get:
Silver Shark
Angel Fish
Galaxy Rasboras
Swordtails
A Plec of some description (Possibly a gold one.)

I don't actually know yet if those could work together in that size tank, as i haven't looked into it too much yet, because i don't want to get too into it while it's only a possibility. But those would be my ideal fish in an ideal tank.
Polly44

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Evils » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:26 am

Checkinder wrote:
Hmm

Being that the fins are clamped and the lumps are just below the mouth, I would think them to be tumors. If your little guy is still swimming and eating with no problem, then hopefully they're benign, but if he isn't swimming or eating- is having a hard time breathing it may most likely be malignant.
It is always difficult to tell with fish however, and it may just be small growths caused by bacteria in the water or by stress from the death of his friend. (Im sorry for your loss!)
Try changing about 1/3 or 1/4 of the water just in case it's bacterial caused and watch him closely for a few days! Hopefully he'll start to come around and it's the better outcome of possibilities!
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality." - Edgar Allan Poe
Evils

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me