Snakes

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Snakes

Postby -sMiLe- » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:42 am

okay guys so i have a few important questions for those of you that have ball pythons or know about them.

I plan on getting a ball python and building its enclosure 36 inches X 18 inches X 12 inches.
I found a Melamine Board that I would only need one or 2 boards of to build the enclosure. Is Melamine Board a good material to build it out of?

And also, which is the substrate that you have found to work best for you?
ρєт σƒ тнє мσηтн ♥

accomplishments wrote:12/7 ♦ 1200 dogs in my collection!!!
12/14 ♦ 1400 dogs in my collection!!!
7/15 ♦ 1600 dogs in my collection!!!
-sMiLe-

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby karlie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:16 am

Hi! I'm new to this forum <3

Username: kmgb02
Why you want to join: I currently have one snake (but want more!) and would love to talk with others about snakes.
Do you have a snake: Yes! One Albino Ball Python, she's around 7-8 months old. I just got her in June. I love her (:
Password: Silver
Haven't played since 2020 but getting into the game again!<3
karlie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blueh » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:28 am

-sMiLe- wrote:okay guys so i have a few important questions for those of you that have ball pythons or know about them.

I plan on getting a ball python and building its enclosure 36 inches X 18 inches X 12 inches.
I found a Melamine Board that I would only need one or 2 boards of to build the enclosure. Is Melamine Board a good material to build it out of?

And also, which is the substrate that you have found to work best for you?

ohh building enclosures is fun. I really like melamine! I haven't built with it yet because the sheets I got were too flimsy, but I have worked with the material before and know a lot of good enclosures built out of it. If you're getting a ball python, then avoid wood unless you REALLY seal it because of the humidity needed in the enclosure.

but honestly, for a ball python, getting a tub might be easier, cheaper and better in the long run. Not talking about those tiny breeder tubs, but things like christmas tree tubs (usually about 4 ft long+) work great. https://www.hayneedle.com/product/irisu ... oCU-rw_wcB

For substate, I like like zilla jungle mix A LOT. It doesn't get as dusty or mold like I've seen eco-earth do.

my reptiles (aka my personal pets)
1.1 Uromastyx geyri, 3.1 Uromastyx ornata, 1.0 Uromastyx acanthinurus nigriventris, 2.0 piebald ball pythons, 1.0 puma ball python

i study lizards & bugs and like animals

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
blueh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LeonHeart » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:30 am

I'm planning on getting a snake, but i have two cats and a dog. What kind should i get?
LeonHeart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:26 am

Tubs are great! Many breeders and hobbyists have found that tubs are great and even better than glass enclosures. A snake will do just as good in a tub, if not better, than another in a huge glass enclosure. Especially ball pythons, they are very shy, glass makes them feel very insecure. Not all, but I know many ball pythons who are not at all comfortable in glass, mine included.

I got my tub at Walmart, here's the link:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-10 ... k/43393262
There is also a completely black one too, which is actually cheaper than the clear one. For shy snakes.
Here's a pic with Khaa in it, just to show how big it actually is:
http://imgur.com/a/5404H
Baby pic, but this is big enough for Khaa to stay in for his whole life. Breeders use tubs smaller than this for their adult males. It may not be big enough to hold adult females comfortably though, since they get sooo much bigger than males.

As for bedding, you might have to go through some/experiment, see what works for you and your snake! I used to use aspen, as you can see from that photo, but not anymore. Its just too messy, and I moved since that pic and live somewhere with carpet. I can't be bothered with vacuuming up all that aspen, especially with a snake who likes to soak the cage up every few days. Paper towels or newspaper with me, clean up is so simple and easy and Khaa does great on it.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kalrine » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Tooweirdtolive wrote:I'm planning on getting a snake, but i have two cats and a dog. What kind should i get?

Welcome to the snake thread!
    I'm not sure how your cats or dog plays relevance to the snake; are you looking for a snake that will be friendly with them, or is there something else I'm missing?.. It's best to keep any snake, even the most docile, away from other animals because it can stress them out. However, as far as friendly beginner snakes go, a corn snake is by far the best pick. There are other snakes though, if corns don't catch your fancy, that can also work as good beginners as long as you do more research and pick them at the right age/from the right person:

- Ball Pythons (great, docile snakes, but notorious for being some of the pickiest eaters. get one who has a clear history of eating well.)
    - Rosy Boas (friendly, laid-back and simple to keep. excellent beginner snakes)
    - Kingsnakes (do not get a baby. if you get a king, get an adult used to being handled. babies are awfully squirmy.)
    - Milksnakes (same as kings. do not get a baby. get an adult with a friendly attitude.)

None of these get too big and are very healthy with proper care. As with most snakes bought by first-time owners (especially the last 2 on that list), I think it's best to get an adult or one that's close to being fully grown. They tend to be hardier, friendlier, and you'd be able to handle them more easily than a squirmy baby. Not only that, but you won't have to upgrade tank sizes as they grow, because there's not much more growing to do. You'd know, or have a good idea, of the size they're staying at. I may be missing something, but I think these are the four go-to beginner snakes that are easiest to find from a breeder. ^^ That being said, I'd also recommend you find one from someone rehoming their snake locally, or a snake breeder; pet stores like petco and petsmart are a hit-or-miss. Sometimes their snakes come with mites, sometimes they don't. You're less likely to get a sick snake from a reputable breeder or an owner who knows what they're doing.
Kalrine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby snowdrake » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Kalrine wrote:
Tooweirdtolive wrote:I'm planning on getting a snake, but i have two cats and a dog. What kind should i get?

I'm not sure how your cats or dog plays relevance to the snake; are you looking for a snake that will be friendly with them, or is there something else I'm missing?.. It's best to keep any snake, even the most docile, away from other animals because it can stress them out. However, as far as friendly beginner snakes go, a corn snake is by far the best pick. There are other snakes though, if corns don't catch your fancy, that can also work as good beginners as long as you do more research and pick them at the right age/from the right person:

- Ball Pythons (great, docile snakes, but notorious for being some of the pickiest eaters. get one who has a clear history of eating well.)
    - Kingsnakes (do not get a baby. if you get a king, get an adult used to being handled. babies are awfully squirmy.)
    - Milksnakes (same as kings. do not get a baby. get an adult with a friendly attitude.)

None of these get too big and are very healthy with proper care. As with most snakes bought by first-time owners (especially the last 2 on that list), I think it's best to get an adult or one that's close to being fully grown. They tend to be hardier, friendlier, and you'd be able to handle them more easily than a squirmy baby. Not only that, but you won't have to upgrade tank sizes as they grow, because there's not much more growing to do. You'd know, or have a good idea, of the size they're staying at. I may be missing something, but I think these are the four go-to beginner snakes that are easiest to find from a breeder. ^^ That being said, I'd also recommend you find one from someone rehoming their snake locally, or a snake breeder; pet stores like petco and petsmart are a hit-or-miss. Sometimes their snakes come with mites, sometimes they don't. You're less likely to get a sick snake from a reputable breeder or an owner who knows what they're doing.

I have to add that corn snakes are also amazing beginner snakes. if you want something hat moves a little more (but not too much) that's the snake for you! they come in countless colors and are usually very chill. they don't require too much care with humidity and heat - in comparison to balls - so, if your temp or humidity is off by a little bit they won't go off feed or anything. they also eat like champions, at least mine and my friend's corns do xD

personally I really don't recommend ball pythons for a first snake. they might not require any too tropic humidity and temp but as soon as anything is wrong they tend to go off feed. this can be extremely stressful for first keepers, as assist feeding and stuff like that really isn't a nice experience. I've had it once with the ball python of my cousin and I don't want it to happen again. in addition, if your snake bites you you'd much rather get bit by a corn than a ball. both hurt, but ball pythons definitely hurt more because they have far bigger teeth. I don't know, I've just had horrible experiences with any ball pythons I've ever known before, that's why I really do not recommend them.
things just got a lot more relaxed for me, I'll be able to be online more often! responses still won't be instant most times, sorry </3
snowdrake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Re:

Postby The Last Raven » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:03 am

Hinode wrote:
Kalrine wrote:

I have to add that corn snakes are also amazing beginner snakes. if you want something hat moves a little more (but not too much) that's the snake for you! they come in countless colors and are usually very chill. they don't require too much care with humidity and heat - in comparison to balls - so, if your temp or humidity is off by a little bit they won't go off feed or anything. they also eat like champions, at least mine and my friend's corns do xD

personally I really don't recommend ball pythons for a first snake. they might not require any too tropic humidity and temp but as soon as anything is wrong they tend to go off feed. this can be extremely stressful for first keepers, as assist feeding and stuff like that really isn't a nice experience. I've had it once with the ball python of my cousin and I don't want it to happen again. in addition, if your snake bites you you'd much rather get bit by a corn than a ball. both hurt, but ball pythons definitely hurt more because they have far bigger teeth. I don't know, I've just had horrible experiences with any ball pythons I've ever known before, that's why I really do not recommend them.

Yes ball pythons can be a bit more difficult to take care of but I personally have never had that many issues. You simply have to pay attention to their needs and everything should run fairly smoothly. The only snake that I have issues sometimes with going off feed is my big guy, but he already needs a little extra attention since I basically rescued him from him first home and sometimes he has issues. But he is also the most gentle giant I have ever known. I have allowed kids to handle him and have done educational talks with him with no fear of him striking.

What it really comes down to is how well you know your snake. Believe it or not but all snakes have personalities. I have 3 ball pythons and each one behaves differently and likes different things within their tanks. I personally have found the work rewarding. I love having my fat lazy babies. I wouldn't trade them for anything.
──-────────────────────
raven|she|adult
────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
███░█████████████████ █
──-────────────────────
hi! i’m a long time player
who loves to hoard chameleons
and anything else that tickles my fancy.
i am a huge nerd and love to cosplay!

────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
███░█████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──-───────────────
coding credit pascal
collection dream

ImageImageImage
───────────────-──
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
───────────────-──
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
───────────────-──
███░█████████████ █
The Last Raven

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby snowdrake » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:25 am

The Last Raven wrote:Yes ball pythons can be a bit more difficult to take care of but I personally have never had that many issues. You simply have to pay attention to their needs and everything should run fairly smoothly. The only snake that I have issues sometimes with going off feed is my big guy, but he already needs a little extra attention since I basically rescued him from him first home and sometimes he has issues. But he is also the most gentle giant I have ever known. I have allowed kids to handle him and have done educational talks with him with no fear of him striking.

What it really comes down to is how well you know your snake. Believe it or not but all snakes have personalities. I have 3 ball pythons and each one behaves differently and likes different things within their tanks. I personally have found the work rewarding. I love having my fat lazy babies. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Yeah, I guess I just really had too many bad experiences with bps. I do like them, they really are cute but I'm just scared of doing something wrong and ending up hurting the snake in the end if I were to get one. I'm happy with my little corn and I don't have space anyway to care for another snake at the moment. he grew so much since I got him two years ago <3

also a little question: everytime it's feeding time I lightly tap on his tank a few times. I do this to let him know I'm not feeding him if I don't tap on his tank and this way he doesn't bite me out of mistake. are you guys doing something similar with your noodles? c:
things just got a lot more relaxed for me, I'll be able to be online more often! responses still won't be instant most times, sorry </3
snowdrake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Last Raven » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:04 am

Hinode wrote:
The Last Raven wrote:Yes ball pythons can be a bit more difficult to take care of but I personally have never had that many issues. You simply have to pay attention to their needs and everything should run fairly smoothly. The only snake that I have issues sometimes with going off feed is my big guy, but he already needs a little extra attention since I basically rescued him from him first home and sometimes he has issues. But he is also the most gentle giant I have ever known. I have allowed kids to handle him and have done educational talks with him with no fear of him striking.

Yeah, I guess I just really had too many bad experiences with bps. I do like them, they really are cute but I'm just scared of doing something wrong and ending up hurting the snake in the end if I were to get one. I'm happy with my little corn and I don't have space anyway to care for another snake at the moment. he grew so much since I got him two years ago <3

also a little question: everytime it's feeding time I lightly tap on his tank a few times. I do this to let him know I'm not feeding him if I don't tap on his tank and this way he doesn't bite me out of mistake. are you guys doing something similar with your noodles? c:

I haven't ever heard of someone doing that actually. My snakes generally know if it is feeding time or not based on scent. With my big boy all I have to do is set the paper bag down next to his tank and he immediately comes out of his hide as if he knows what is about to happen. My snakes always seem to act differently when I open their tanks to put in the rats vs when I open their tanks to pick them up. I've honestly never worried about being bitten (even with my female who can be a bit jumpy). I just pay attention to their body language.
──-────────────────────
raven|she|adult
────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
███░█████████████████ █
──-────────────────────
hi! i’m a long time player
who loves to hoard chameleons
and anything else that tickles my fancy.
i am a huge nerd and love to cosplay!

────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
███░█████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──-───────────────
coding credit pascal
collection dream

ImageImageImage
───────────────-──
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
───────────────-──