Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby vencrypt » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:36 pm

just got a crocodile skink today :D im super excited! been a dream reptile of mine for quite a while

herpetology | aquascaping | entomology
xxxxthey/them | artist | ecologist

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX❞ ❞
xxHeyo I'm Ven. I like reptiles and fish. Currently in college pursuing
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raven_Wolf » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:16 am

I got a leopard gecko about a year ago now. His name is Pablo. I had some issues in the beginning with his eyes, but thanks to some good vets in my area we managed to save him and his eyes are perfectly fine now. He struggles a little bit with his vision because of the issues he had when I first got him, but is otherwise happy and healthy. He now resides in a 40 gallon tank on Arcadia earth mix arid with a naturalistic setup ^^

ImageImage
Raven_Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Catsplat18 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:23 am

vencrypt wrote:just got a crocodile skink today :D im super excited! been a dream reptile of mine for quite a while

Congrats!! I adore skinks and these guys look like little dragons!!
reload to see a new adopt from
my uma storage xx

never forget
summer 2018
she/they|| bi/pan/queer
♥️ reptiles, birds, arthropods ♥️ my carrd ♥️
♥️ occasional adopts ♥️ my CS collection goals ♥️
Catsplat18

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Catsplat18 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:25 am

Raven_Wolf wrote:
I got a leopard gecko about a year ago now. His name is Pablo. I had some issues in the beginning with his eyes, but thanks to some good vets in my area we managed to save him and his eyes are perfectly fine now. He struggles a little bit with his vision because of the issues he had when I first got him, but is otherwise happy and healthy. He now resides in a 40 gallon tank on Arcadia earth mix arid with a naturalistic setup ^^

I'm so jealous, I've been looking at naturalistic setups for my own leo. Your little guy looks so happy in there; I'm glad his eyesight is better! Do you use a heat lamp or undertank heater with the loose substrate?
my uma storage xx

never forget
summer 2018
she/they|| bi/pan/queer
Catsplat18

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raven_Wolf » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:24 am

Catsplat18 wrote:
Raven_Wolf wrote:

I'm so jealous, I've been looking at naturalistic setups for my own leo. Your little guy looks so happy in there; I'm glad his eyesight is better! Do you use a heat lamp or undertank heater with the loose substrate?

I use an Arcadia deep heat projector and an Arcadia shade dweller UVB bulb. Deep heat projectors give two different types of heat, whereas heat bulbs and under tank heaters only give one type of heat. I learned as much as I know from a channel on YouTube called LeopardGecko (this is the video on heat sources specifically and where I got my info)
ImageImage
Raven_Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:15 am

Catsplat18 wrote:
vencrypt wrote:just got a crocodile skink today :D im super excited! been a dream reptile of mine for quite a while

Congrats!! I adore skinks and these guys look like little dragons!!

yea im super excited to have em :D

herpetology | aquascaping | entomology
xxxxthey/them | artist | ecologist

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX❞ ❞
xxHeyo I'm Ven. I like reptiles and fish. Currently in college pursuing
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Catsplat18 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:32 am

Raven_Wolf wrote:
Catsplat18 wrote:
Raven_Wolf wrote:

I use an Arcadia deep heat projector and an Arcadia shade dweller UVB bulb. Deep heat projectors give two different types of heat, whereas heat bulbs and under tank heaters only give one type of heat. I learned as much as I know from a channel on YouTube called LeopardGecko (this is the video on heat sources specifically and where I got my info)

Thank you, I'll be sure to check them out!!
my uma storage xx

never forget
summer 2018
she/they|| bi/pan/queer
Catsplat18

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Catsplat18 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:34 pm

anyone have an (alive) reptile discord link? can be big or small, doesnt matter
my uma storage xx

never forget
summer 2018
she/they|| bi/pan/queer
Catsplat18

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby voe » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:04 am

My ball python Millie passed away last night, and we buried her this morning. I rescued her and her brother from Facebook when her owners tried to rehome her, and people tried to buy them as breeders. She thrived for the three years my wife and I owned her, but eight years old is just so very young for a ball python to go, and we are so shocked and upset since she was so healthy and doing well up until now.

I can’t expect a snake who survived years of neglect early on to have a full lifespan, but I wish I could’ve done more for her while she was here. She and her brother taught me everything I needed to know about caring for ball pythons when they came to me the size of 6 month olds at 5 years old, but she never relaxed the way he did, she was always stressed and quick to strike, so I’m pretty sure she was the bullied snake when they were cohabed in their previous home. She tried to escape every chance she had, her old enclosure even left a massive scar along her spine from a previous escape attempt due to a burned/melted jagged piece of plastic.

Now she’s finally free, being reclaimed by nature in my side yard, and it’s so hard to accept. She was shiny and a healthy weight, and despite never growing to full size she was vicious and efficient with rats. All I can do is make sure her brother is free of stress and keep him well maintained so he can live a happy life despite his circumstances. I think I might upgrade his tank since there’s an empty space in our room now, I don’t want him to die any time soon and I’ll do everything I can do keep him stress free. My wife is taking this really hard as her first pet to pass away as an adult, and I can’t say I’m doing much better with few friends to lean on these days. Her temperatures were good, she had no URI, she shed consistently, so maybe it was just her time albeit so soon for something so precious and innocent. She lived a hard life but had some solid space to herself and comfortable heating and meals before she passed, that’s all I could do for her.

Edit: not sure how or when they contracted it, but my snakes ended up having inclusion body disease, a fatal virus I had literally never heard of until today. My other python passed away this evening, he died in my wife's arms. its very contagious but now you can test for it to prevent spreading, we won't be keeping snakes again to prevent any transmission from existing equipment, thankfully it cannot spread to our lizards. I kept an extra close eye on him and watched him deteriorate overnight, at least he isn't suffering from this painful affliction anymore.
Last edited by voe on Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImage Image Image ImageImage
'Darien' he/they femboy collector of leopard geckos

Feel free to message me about anything, even if it isn't CS related!
I'm usually happy to help with date swaps, with or without add-ons
I'm not fluent in lower rarity math, please correct me if I'm wrong

ImageImageImage
ImageAKA Eibai, Nynecho, Gef, Atomsk, Glamrock Freddy, Elfo, MulaImage
voe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:39 am

Elfo wrote:My ball python Millie passed away last night, and we buried her this morning. I rescued her and her brother from Facebook when her owners tried to rehome her, and people tried to buy them as breeders. She thrived for the three years my wife and I owned her, but eight years old is just so very young for a ball python to go, and we are so shocked and upset since she was so healthy and doing well up until now.

I can’t expect a snake who survived years of neglect early on to have a full lifespan, but I wish I could’ve done more for her while she was here. She and her brother taught me everything I needed to know about caring for ball pythons when they came to me the size of 6 month olds at 5 years old, but she never relaxed the way he did, she was always stressed and quick to strike, so I’m pretty sure she was the bullied snake when they were cohabed in their previous home. She tried to escape every chance she had, her old enclosure even left a massive scar along her spine from a previous escape attempt due to a burned/melted jagged piece of plastic.

Now she’s finally free, being reclaimed by nature in my side yard, and it’s so hard to accept. She was shiny and a healthy weight, and despite never growing to full size she was vicious and efficient with rats. All I can do is make sure her brother is free of stress and keep him well maintained so he can live a happy life despite his circumstances. I think I might upgrade his tank since there’s an empty space in our room now, I don’t want him to die any time soon and I’ll do everything I can do keep him stress free. My wife is taking this really hard as her first pet to pass away as an adult, and I can’t say I’m doing much better with few friends to lean on these days. Her temperatures were good, she had no URI, she shed consistently, so maybe it was just her time albeit so soon for something so precious and innocent. She lived a hard life but had some solid space to herself and comfortable heating and meals before she passed, that’s all I could do.

Losing any pet so soon is hard, I can definitely agree. I had a ball python myself that I also rescued from Facebook, but he was sadly not in the best health, and despite my best attempts, he only lived a few months in my care before he passed away. I never knew how old he was, the previous owner never told me, and his growth was stunted so I couldn't guess based on that either. His name was Bumblebee, I still miss him all these years later. Grief never truly goes away, but I hope it gets easier for you both soon.

------

In other news, my leopard gecko's UV bulb crapped out on me earlier this week. No idea why, either. I was feeding him, and when I closed the door on his enclosure, the light just shut off. Not sure if it was just poor timing or if me closing the door had something to do with it. His heat bulb is working fine, so who knows. I bought a replacement yesterday so it's all good now.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────