Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby scuttlefish » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:56 pm

jayus wrote:
sugar pixel . wrote:Hello! I just set up my 55 gallon, does anyone have any advice/links for 'fishless cycling'? Preferably ones that you can do with fish food? Thanks in advance!

THis is a good source! I've heard to put fish food in stockings and float that in the tank, it'll break down and start the cycle. And you don't have to clean it up.

Oh cool! That's really helpful, and there's a whole treasure trove of fishless cycling links down at the bottom of the page! *sets off to read them all*
scuttlefish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:59 am

Naeco wrote:Thank you! He or she looks like this type: Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps. I picked it out at meijer and they said it was a Common Pleco. In all honestly, all of their plecos look different in fin structure, color, and overall body shape. Not huge differences though. I mainly picked it out because it looked healthy plus had a really pretty color. Here is a picture of that type that resembles mine.
-snip-
Looks like him but mine has more orange.

I thought that species matched yours the most as well. ^^

...that is extremely irresponsible way of selling plecos. :/ I mean not only are there massive size differances between species, the diets can vary greatly. Like some need drift wood to chew on, some are very much carnivores etc. So they definetly should identify the plecos better...

Naeco wrote:Oh, and what size tank would I need for a pleco that should get up to around 17in

Looking at some recommendations for plecos around that size(tad smaller); 400liters(~130gal) was the smallest and 700liter(~185gal) was the largest recommendation I found. Basically you need something that is more than 17in wide so that the fish has enough space to turn around. Usually you want to go for 10 times the fish's lenght for the lenght of the tank, but considering plecos aren't always that active swimmers little less would probably be okay. So tank with bottom dimensions of around 20in x 85in might do? Height doesn't matter so much but I'd go close to 17in at least.
My corries have been gaining weight really nicely and are starting to look nice and chubby, like corries should. c: De-wormer dose number 2 has been in for almost a week soon, so couple more days and we should be totally worm free. Then I count my pennies and see can I afford new fish next month. Probably not as I went to bit of a shopping spree for my horses just recently and have another vet bill coming up next month, and horses need more feed soon too... >_<
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:39 am

Hime wrote:
Naeco wrote:Thank you! He or she looks like this type: Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps. I picked it out at meijer and they said it was a Common Pleco. In all honestly, all of their plecos look different in fin structure, color, and overall body shape. Not huge differences though. I mainly picked it out because it looked healthy plus had a really pretty color. Here is a picture of that type that resembles mine.
-snip-
Looks like him but mine has more orange.

I thought that species matched yours the most as well. ^^

...that is extremely irresponsible way of selling plecos. :/ I mean not only are there massive size differances between species, the diets can vary greatly. Like some need drift wood to chew on, some are very much carnivores etc. So they definetly should identify the plecos better...

Naeco wrote:Oh, and what size tank would I need for a pleco that should get up to around 17in

Looking at some recommendations for plecos around that size(tad smaller); 400liters(~130gal) was the smallest and 700liter(~185gal) was the largest recommendation I found. Basically you need something that is more than 17in wide so that the fish has enough space to turn around. Usually you want to go for 10 times the fish's lenght for the lenght of the tank, but considering plecos aren't always that active swimmers little less would probably be okay. So tank with bottom dimensions of around 20in x 85in might do? Height doesn't matter so much but I'd go close to 17in at least.
My corries have been gaining weight really nicely and are starting to look nice and chubby, like corries should. c: De-wormer dose number 2 has been in for almost a week soon, so couple more days and we should be totally worm free. Then I count my pennies and see can I afford new fish next month. Probably not as I went to bit of a shopping spree for my horses just recently and have another vet bill coming up next month, and horses need more feed soon too... >_<

Yes, yes. I was sort of ashamed but what do you expect for paying $8-$10 for a fish at a grocery store. Its the only place that sells them nearby anymore. Kinda sad actually. Thank you very much for the size recommendations.
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lorne » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:44 am

Howdy! So I may or may not have fed one of my bettas in the dark last Saturday when I was tired/just got home from work, and also may or may not have overfed him, so he's just a bit bloated... I've been fasting him since I woke up on Sunday and realized how big his stomach was, and I've been watching him to make sure it's not a bacterial disease like Dropsy. He's not showing any signs of being sick, his color and activity is fine, his swimming is fine and he's even showing a bit of an appetite trying to eat my hand when I change his water. I'm going to the store tonight to pick up some assorted things around the house, and I was going to get some frozen peas to help his constipation, and basically my question is is there a certain brand of peas that works better than others or is safer? I've never had a constipated betta before so I'm not sure what I should be getting. x'D

[s]Also I feel guilty, he always seems hungry when I go by his tank[/s]

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 16 people.
I have received 10 gifts.

₊˚⊹. ☾ Aria ☆ she/her ☆ Art shop ☽ .⊹˚₊Image
Lorne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:17 am

.sav wrote:Howdy! So I may or may not have fed one of my bettas in the dark last Saturday when I was tired/just got home from work, and also may or may not have overfed him, so he's just a bit bloated... I've been fasting him since I woke up on Sunday and realized how big his stomach was, and I've been watching him to make sure it's not a bacterial disease like Dropsy. He's not showing any signs of being sick, his color and activity is fine, his swimming is fine and he's even showing a bit of an appetite trying to eat my hand when I change his water. I'm going to the store tonight to pick up some assorted things around the house, and I was going to get some frozen peas to help his constipation, and basically my question is is there a certain brand of peas that works better than others or is safer? I've never had a constipated betta before so I'm not sure what I should be getting. x'D

Don't give him any peas. The pea method for constipation originated in the goldfish community and was never meant for carnivores like bettas. Their bodies aren't built for digesting plant matter and you can end up doing more harm than good. That's not to say the method never works on constipated bettas, but it's risky and shouldn't be the go-to option.
Daphnia is great for constipated bettas. If you have a pet store that sells frozen fish foods you can probably find it. It's a type of very small crustacean.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:38 pm

*siiigh* Just when everything looked like it was okay, I got another corry showing the usual symptoms. Luckily the fish store was open today, so took him there to be checked. I knew he wasn't going to make it and so did the shop keeper, so they put him down and did autopsy. Good news the previous medication had worked, but bad news was that he got loads of Trichodina all over him. While it's not parasite that usually kills apparently, in large numbers if it attacks the gills then it can be really bad for corries who don't apparently have such great gills to start with... So I got another medicine, which hopefully will clear up this issue finally.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lorne » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:46 am

PeachFuzz wrote:
.sav wrote:Howdy! So I may or may not have fed one of my bettas in the dark last Saturday when I was tired/just got home from work, and also may or may not have overfed him, so he's just a bit bloated... I've been fasting him since I woke up on Sunday and realized how big his stomach was, and I've been watching him to make sure it's not a bacterial disease like Dropsy. He's not showing any signs of being sick, his color and activity is fine, his swimming is fine and he's even showing a bit of an appetite trying to eat my hand when I change his water. I'm going to the store tonight to pick up some assorted things around the house, and I was going to get some frozen peas to help his constipation, and basically my question is is there a certain brand of peas that works better than others or is safer? I've never had a constipated betta before so I'm not sure what I should be getting. x'D

Don't give him any peas. The pea method for constipation originated in the goldfish community and was never meant for carnivores like bettas. Their bodies aren't built for digesting plant matter and you can end up doing more harm than good. That's not to say the method never works on constipated bettas, but it's risky and shouldn't be the go-to option.
Daphnia is great for constipated bettas. If you have a pet store that sells frozen fish foods you can probably find it. It's a type of very small crustacean.

All righty, my local fish store didn't have any when I went last night, and I refuse to buy from Petco, but I have some ordered that'll be here in a few days.
Today he looks a lot smaller, and definitely looks hungry to me (Then again, Pluto is a pig he's probably always hungry). Would it be OK to feed him a tiny bit? I don't have any pictures of when he was the most bloated, but I do have a few pictures of him about a week before his bloat started up. He's always kind of been a fat fish, ever since I got him. I just want to double check before I do anything because I've only had him for about two months and I'm already attached to this fish, he's my favorite aggressive little dude x')
Two weeks ago, today

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 16 people.
I have received 10 gifts.

₊˚⊹. ☾ Aria ☆ she/her ☆ Art shop ☽ .⊹˚₊Image
Lorne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Chickens. » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:07 am

Chickens. wrote:Username: Chickens.
How many fish tanks do you have: I currently manage five separate 55 gallon saltwater tanks, and one is managed by someone else but I come around to check on that eels care.
Types of fish that you have: various species of moray eels and one fish (blackspot sergeant)
Your fishs' names: Sergeant Major (fish) and the eels are called by their species name. (Ex. Stout moray is named Stout. If there's more than one eel of the same species they have other names) Stout (Stout moray), Snowflake (Snowflake moray), Big Dragon, Light Dragon, Dark Dragon (dragon morays), Speckle (speckleback moray), Brown Bar (female), Little Brown Bar, Baby Brown Bar, and Brown Bar (male) (brown bar moray)
How long have you had fish: been taking care of them for 3 years now. They belong to my teacher, but the Snowflake moray and Sergeant Major are my personal pets. I come in every week day and take care of them (ex cleaning, feeding, occasional salinity checks and pH checks)

I'll try to get some pics/vids tomorrow and see if i can figure out how to link them in here :)

My teacher is going out to catch a mated pair of dragon morays this weekend (if the conditions are good) and they'll live in the 5th tank.

*edit* here's a link to an older video of Snowflake eating

Is it possible for me to be a member?

Chickens.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby |Lace| » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:39 am

My betta Mushu may have a bit of a problem. I have him in a 1.5 gallon bowl with a heater, but lately he has been acting strange. He has been swirling around and then drifting with the current. He has also been getting a bit dull lately. I'm thinking of switching him to a long 2.5 gallon, but I'm not sure if that may cause him too much stress. I'm also thinking about putting a filter into the new tank if I end up getting it because he seems to be making his own current. All I want to know, is this a good idea?
wip
|Lace|

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:55 am

I have two bettas, one in a 6.6 gallon, the other in a 12 gallon tank. No other fish/inverts in those tanks. Both tanks are moderately/heavily planted, filtered, heated. Two happy betta boys :D