Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Hime » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:27 pm

Help the stupid, what exactly is a common pleco's species?

@Naeco: It's not bristlenose for sure. Not really sure what species common actually is so... This guide, may help you identify it, and generally that website is very good when it comes to plecos etc. catfish. :)
Yours definetly has more dorsal rays than some plecos, so that's a good identifaction marker. Sailfin I think is the term they are commonly called, but there are many species of them. From the guide Pterygoplichthys -group seemed matching and looking through pics, there are couple species that at least somewhat match to your pleco (orangey color with dark spots, over 10 dorsals).
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satuurnity » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:48 am

Hi!
I just did a water change in my tank (I do one every week) and all of a sudden the water turned quite cloudy? I'm not really sure what could be wrong because the filter and heater and everything are still working, it's just the filter keeps making weird noises. The fish seem fine but it only just happened so I'm still worried. It's a planted 10gal with filter, heater, air stone, and lights, it has been cycled (about a year ago), it has sand substrate, there a five neon tetra and an assassin snail, PH is and always has been 7.6 and ammonia is 0.
Thank you!

Nevermind, fixed thank you xx
Last edited by satuurnity on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
satuurnity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sharklava14 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:07 am

Hey fish loverssss 🐟 :thumbup:
sharklava14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby StrikingEmber36 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:30 pm

Keletheryl wrote:Help!

I noticed tonight that my female betta has these white spots on her eyes... Everything I looked up said that it was because of bad water quality, but our water quality is fine... any other reason why she might be like this?? She's also more pale than usual, but looks otherwise healthy.

Here's what our test kit said:

GH: 30
KH: 40
PH: 6.5
NO2: 0
NO3: 20

To me it looks just like her normal eyes! Bettas quite often marble, and have control over marbling their eyes too. That is what it loooks like to me.
Image megan ~ she/they Image
hello! i make art sometimes
pls disregard my old stuff, i've been on this site since i was a literal child
i like to draw, roleplay, and trade!
i have a service dog and love dogs+fish!!
user since 2011 | previously JiminSpazz | x
StrikingEmber36

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jayus » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:21 pm

JiminSpazz wrote:

I noticed tonight that my female betta has these white spots on her eyes... Everything I looked up said that it was because of bad water quality, but our water quality is fine... any other reason why she might be like this?? She's also more pale than usual, but looks otherwise healthy.

-snip-

To me it looks just like her normal eyes! Bettas quite often marble, and have control over marbling their eyes too. That is what it loooks like to me.

I can vouch for eyes marbling! My female betta Rogue's eyes started blue, turned black, and then turned blue.
jayus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:38 am

Hime wrote:Help the stupid, what exactly is a common pleco's species?

@Naeco: It's not bristlenose for sure. Not really sure what species common actually is so... This guide, may help you identify it, and generally that website is very good when it comes to plecos etc. catfish. :)
Yours definetly has more dorsal rays than some plecos, so that's a good identifaction marker. Sailfin I think is the term they are commonly called, but there are many species of them. From the guide Pterygoplichthys -group seemed matching and looking through pics, there are couple species that at least somewhat match to your pleco (orangey color with dark spots, over 10 dorsals).

Thank you! He or she looks like this type: Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps. I picked it out at meijer and they said it was a Common Pleco. In all honestly, all of their plecos look different in fin structure, color, and overall body shape. Not huge differences though. I mainly picked it out because it looked healthy plus had a really pretty color. Here is a picture of that type that resembles mine.

Looks like him but mine has more orange.
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:43 am

Oh, and what size tank would I need for a pleco that should get up to around 17in
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scuttlefish » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:14 pm

Hello! I just set up my 55 gallon, does anyone have any advice/links for 'fishless cycling'? Preferably ones that you can do with fish food? Thanks in advance!
I used to be sugar pixel .

Microllama Adoption Center

scuttlefish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jayus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:42 pm

sugar pixel . wrote:Hello! I just set up my 55 gallon, does anyone have any advice/links for 'fishless cycling'? Preferably ones that you can do with fish food? Thanks in advance!

THis is a good source! I've heard to put fish food in stockings and float that in the tank, it'll break down and start the cycle. And you don't have to clean it up.
jayus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby |Lace| » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:45 pm

jayus wrote:
JiminSpazz wrote:

-snip-

I can vouch for eyes marbling! My female betta Rogue's eyes started blue, turned black, and then turned blue.

Me too! Mushu's eyes turned blue, then yellow then black.
My betta is a male though
wip
|Lace|

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me