Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2 (open)

Postby blazesong » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:10 am

Sorry for not being about the last 2 days (the joys of being busy)

I will be adding a new rule and i was thinking of geting 'thread mods; (are they allowed?) to help keep things in order

i need a new signature

blazesong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Griffin Torrens » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:05 am

Angelus Gaston wrote:
WarriorCats66 wrote:I have a question and would love some help!
I live in a neighbourhood with lots of cats, and my 2 cats (both she-cats, one 15, the other about 5) fight alot... ^-^'
But thats not all, there is this one cat living 3 houses down, and it comes into our house to eat their food at night. The younger cat gets realy scared and likes it best if i stand with her while she eats in the morning. Once she brought in a dead mouse, so I went to go get toilet paper to pick it up, and not only was the Tom from number 1 in the storage room, it was in the living room! I was so scared...
Do you have any tips? Usually we do just lock the cat flap or shut the door, but if one of the cats are outside, we don't like locking them out... make any sense? XD
(My train of thought is a mess...)

I would suggest not free feeding the cats and keeping them indoors so they can go on a feeding schedule. If the tom comes for food having no food and a closed door will stop it.
I cant think of another solution.

Blaze I will pm with Ulquiorras details and the others.

Ok, thanks XD
I asked my mum and she said we will feed our cats little and often, so they eat all of it, and keep the door locked at night, not letting them out late so they come back when we are asleep XD
Griffin Torrens

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PikaPerfect » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:56 am

Ah yes, I found this thread again <3

I do have a quick question. So I have two cats. One of them is a fairly large tom and the other is a smaller female (I don't know what female cats are called, apologies for that one ^^"). They generally get along okay, but occasionally the tom will attack my other cat. Now, these "attacks" never break skin, they don't even tear off fur, but it's annoying when I'm trying to pet one cat, and then the other comes barreling over and pins her down. Immediately after pinning her and then occasionally biting her (More like a play bite because as I said they don't hurt each other, it's just the initial shock), he just gets up and leaves. Of course, the female then goes running off because she got scared, and then I have no cats :( Like I said previously, not only does this not happen often, but it doesn't hurt either cat, it's just annoying. Anybody have any suggestions to try and help the problem? The cats can eat, play, sleep, sit, do practically anything near each other, I just think it's more a case of the male playing too roughly with the female. Well, that and he gets jealous if I do anything as look at the female while he's in the room because he's not getting attention :lol:

Also, the reason you shouldn't NOT feed your cats meat is because there is a certain chemical in it that keeps them from going blind. So essentially, don't feed your cat meat and you might as well get it's eyes removed because it will go blind without the chemical.
call me pika - he/him - gay - i like cats, pokemon, and genshin impact
sorry if i don't respond to your DM, random messages give me anxiety 😎✌
The summoning gif worked :)
PikaPerfect

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:37 am

HyperPikaGirl wrote:Ah yes, I found this thread again <3

I do have a quick question. So I have two cats. One of them is a fairly large tom and the other is a smaller female (I don't know what female cats are called, apologies for that one ^^"). They generally get along okay, but occasionally the tom will attack my other cat. Now, these "attacks" never break skin, they don't even tear off fur, but it's annoying when I'm trying to pet one cat, and then the other comes barreling over and pins her down. Immediately after pinning her and then occasionally biting her (More like a play bite because as I said they don't hurt each other, it's just the initial shock), he just gets up and leaves. Of course, the female then goes running off because she got scared, and then I have no cats :( Like I said previously, not only does this not happen often, but it doesn't hurt either cat, it's just annoying. Anybody have any suggestions to try and help the problem? The cats can eat, play, sleep, sit, do practically anything near each other, I just think it's more a case of the male playing too roughly with the female. Well, that and he gets jealous if I do anything as look at the female while he's in the room because he's not getting attention :lol:

Also, the reason you shouldn't NOT feed your cats meat is because there is a certain chemical in it that keeps them from going blind. So essentially, don't feed your cat meat and you might as well get it's eyes removed because it will go blind without the chemical.

How old are they? It's possible he just wants to play. And young cats play-fighting can look rougher than it is. It does sound like the girl doesn't want to play, and I'm not really sure what you could do about that.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saracirce » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:42 pm

"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lesbian » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:06 am

I'm gonna sound like a terrible person, but I'm not sure how much to feed my cat?
        She's 6 years old, and I think for a while she was being overfed - despite being a
        reasonably active outdoor cat (I know, I know, I don't want her to be outdoors eith
        er) she was getting a low hanging tummy so I've told my parents they have to fee
        d her less bc obesity in cats is pretty severe and she's lost a bit of weight however
        I'm afraid we're underfeeding her because she's constantly begging for food and I
        want to feed her but I know I can't if I'm feeding her the right amount because it' ll
        just end up ruining everything.

She's just a domestic long hair {I think, apparently her father might have been a
        norwegian forest cat, but that could be wrong - idk if that is important for how
        much she needs to be fed}.

I'm not sure of her weight bc she's not the most tame cat so it's not easy to find a
        way to weigh her - is there a way by eye/hand to figure out if a cat is roughly the
        right weight? If so, will it be harder to tell since she's extremely fluffy?

Currently she has half a pouch of wet food twice a day mixed in with dry food -
        she has free access to her food all day and sometimes she'll leisurely eat her food
        throughout the whole day and other times she'll eat the whole thing at once {thats
        actually why we started feeding twice a day as opposed to a lot at once}.

{Sorry for all the questions, I'm super concerned about her and I'm worried I'm doing
        something wrong. She's our family's first cat and she means so much to me.}
lesbian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BudgieLover5000 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:10 am

lem-nis-cate wrote:

I'm gonna sound like a terrible person, but I'm not sure how much to feed my cat?
        She's 6 years old, and I think for a while she was being overfed - despite being a
        reasonably active outdoor cat (I know, I know, I don't want her to be outdoors
        either). Anyway, she was getting a low hanging tummy so I've told my parents they
        have to feed her less bc obesity in cats is pretty severe and she's lost a bit of
        weight however I'm afraid we're underfeeding her because she's constantly begging
        for food and I want to feed her but I know I can't if I'm feeding her the right amount
        because it'll just end up ruining everything.

She's just a domestic long hair {I think, apparently her father might have been a
        norwegian forest cat, but that could be wrong - idk if that is important for how

I'm not sure of her weight bc she's not the most tame cat so it's not easy to find a
        way to weigh her - is there a way by eye/hand to figure out if a cat is roughly the

{Sorry for all the questions, I'm super concerned about her and I'm worried I'm doing

Hi there. If you're feeding the right amount of whatever you're feeding her, then that begging is most likely coming from the fact that she is used to a bigger diet so she wants more food.

Also, if she's an outdoor cat, she could be getting fat off of rodents and dead things she finds too so it may not entirely be her kibble (or whatever you feed her). Just saying.
BudgieLover5000

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby silky.moth.is.gone » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:11 am

mark ^^
I was a toxic 11-13 year old lol.
silky.moth.is.gone

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lesbian » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:15 am

Chickpea wrote:
lem-nis-cate wrote:

-snip-

Hi there. If you're feeding the right amount of whatever you're feeding her, then that begging is most likely coming from the fact that she is used to a bigger diet so she wants more food.

Also, if she's an outdoor cat, she could be getting fat off of rodents and dead things she finds too so it may not entirely be her kibble (or whatever you feed her). Just saying.

I hadn't even thought of that, thank you so much, that's
        super reassuring - I guess as long as she doesn't get too
        thin we're probably feeding enough.
lesbian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saracirce » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:25 am

lem-nis-cate wrote:

reasonably active outdoor cat (I know, I know, I don't want her to be outdoors eith
        er) she was getting a low hanging tummy so I've told my parents they have to fee
        d her less bc obesity in cats is pretty severe and she's lost a bit of weight however
        I'm afraid we're underfeeding her because she's constantly begging for food and I
        want to feed her but I know I can't if I'm feeding her the right amount because it' ll
        just end up ruining everything.

Currently she has half a pouch of wet food twice a day mixed in with dry food -
        she has free access to her food all day and sometimes she'll leisurely eat her food
        throughout the whole day and other times she'll eat the whole thing at once {thats
        actually why we started feeding twice a day as opposed to a lot at once}.

Some cats naturally have loose skin behind their tummys and between their back legs. It's called a primordial pouch. Some cats have bigger ones then others so if this what you mean, it's perfectly normal and not a problem. x

The best way to tell a cat's weight is actually by feel since cats come in a wide range for body types from sleek to cobby and a wide range of fur lengths and types. Relax your hand and feel the back of it just behind the knuckles. That's what the ribs of a cat at a good weight should feel like.

I would definitely recommend following the guidelines on the food to start with then adjusting as needed. How much you need to feed really depends on the ingredients of the food and how nutrient dense the food is vs how much filler it has (basically all vegetables or fruits are fillers for cats but some are worse then others) as well your individual cats activity level and metabolism. If the begging continues after the food is adjusted, gets worse or you have trouble getting the cat to a good weight, I highly suggest taking the cat to a vet and having a thyroid panel done as well as a blood test. Some conditions can cause an increase an appetite and/or inability to loose or gain weight.
"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me