mods please close

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: SeaWorld and Marine Mammal Captivity

Postby Crossflare » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:22 am

I do not debate with people who viciously attack me
Last edited by Crossflare on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Folykl » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:41 am

Spartan Inna-973 RvB wrote:I just realized that the killer whale at Miami sea aquarium is in better health than the ones at Seaworld I think Miami Sea aquarium is doing something right with their Orca like I don't know providing her with enrichment I mean Lolita has never been seen grinding her teeth on her tank so they must be providing her with enrichment. Plus Miami Seaquarium is a marine rescue. How is it that a marine rescue has an Orca in better condition than the world leader on captive marine mammals SeaWorld?

Lolita has dolphins for company O_o because you can't catch Orcas in the wild, honestly she lost her mate a while back but given the circumstances, she's relatively healthy for a captive orca, I think Miami SeaAquarium won't move her due to the fact that she's incredibly old and they probably think the stress would harm her.

-removed-

1) Lolita is in WORSE conditions than SeaWorlds orcas are. She is LONGER than the tank is deep, she cannot dive. SeaWorld has plenty of depth for the orcas to dive and swim fast. Lolita cannot.

2) Seaworld gives the whales so much enrichment? more enrichment than lolita would ever get.
ImageImageImageImage

And also Lolita has literally almost turned blind, all because of her terrible conditions. This has happened to none of SeaWorlds orcas.

SeaWorld is a rescue too? SeaWorld has rescued over 37,000 animals, they even have a TV show. SeaWorld also assisted in rescuing Winter the famous dolphin.
Last edited by Simon on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do your best not to insult others

‎‎‎ㅤㅤ Image ﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

hi, im orlando ! im a
casual longtime player.
i love orcas and zebras

Orlando they/them ₊˚.༄
let the current move you
ImageImageImage
Folykl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gypaetus Barbatus » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:19 pm

fraggle wrote:
Spartan Inna-973 RvB wrote:I just realized that the killer whale at Miami sea aquarium is in better health than the ones at Seaworld I think Miami Sea aquarium is doing something right with their Orca like I don't know providing her with enrichment I mean Lolita has never been seen grinding her teeth on her tank so they must be providing her with enrichment. Plus Miami Seaquarium is a marine rescue. How is it that a marine rescue has an Orca in better condition than the world leader on captive marine mammals SeaWorld?

Lolita has dolphins for company O_o because you can't catch Orcas in the wild, honestly she lost her mate a while back but given the circumstances, she's relatively healthy for a captive orca, I think Miami SeaAquarium won't move her due to the fact that she's incredibly old and they probably think the stress would harm her.

-removed-

1) Lolita is in WORSE conditions than SeaWorlds orcas are. She is LONGER than the tank is deep, she cannot dive. SeaWorld has plenty of depth for the orcas to dive and swim fast. Lolita cannot.

2) Seaworld gives the whales so much enrichment? more enrichment than lolita would ever get.
ImageImageImageImage

And also Lolita has literally almost turned blind, all because of her terrible conditions. This has happened to none of SeaWorlds orcas.

SeaWorld is a rescue too? SeaWorld has rescued over 37,000 animals, they even have a TV show. SeaWorld also assisted in rescuing Winter the famous dolphin.

Where's proof other than anti sources that Lolita has almost turned blind? So far, she's been the healthiest orca in captivity, even though her conditions are poor.

And how do you know SeaWorld's whales are getting more enrichment than Lolita is? Again there's no proof of that.
Last edited by Seasonal on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Offensive language removed
name's alec. legally an adult and thus paying bills. they/them or he/him pronouns have my preference.
Gypaetus Barbatus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Folykl » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:34 pm

"The list of Lolita's mental and physical health problems is extensive. Here's just a little of what experts, who visited Lolita to observe her living conditions, had to say about Lolita's health

"[Lolita] has been diagnosed with a pterygium, also called 'surfer's eye.' This is caused by excessive exposure to UV radiation [and] leads to discomfort ... and can cause a significant alteration in visual function," Dr. Pedro Javier Gallego Reyes, veterinarian and cofounder of marine biology association Odyssea wrote, citing the lack of shade in Lolita's tiny pool as a contributing factor."

There are very few images and videos of Lolita with enrichment, but at SeaWorld it is constantly stated repeatedly about the enrichment given. The only images of Lolita having enrichment that i can find is literally her with a wetsuit in the water. SeaWorld gives the whales things like puzzle toys to solve, balls, barrels, soft things, hard things, seaweed, gelatin in all shapes and sizes, ice and one of their favorites is water sprays/hoses

‎‎‎ㅤㅤ Image ﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

hi, im orlando ! im a
casual longtime player.
i love orcas and zebras

Orlando they/them ₊˚.༄
let the current move you
ImageImageImage
Folykl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gypaetus Barbatus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:29 am

fraggle wrote:"The list of Lolita's mental and physical health problems is extensive. Here's just a little of what experts, who visited Lolita to observe her living conditions, had to say about Lolita's health

"[Lolita] has been diagnosed with a pterygium, also called 'surfer's eye.' This is caused by excessive exposure to UV radiation [and] leads to discomfort ... and can cause a significant alteration in visual function," Dr. Pedro Javier Gallego Reyes, veterinarian and cofounder of marine biology association Odyssea wrote, citing the lack of shade in Lolita's tiny pool as a contributing factor."

There are very few images and videos of Lolita with enrichment, but at SeaWorld it is constantly stated repeatedly about the enrichment given. The only images of Lolita having enrichment that i can find is literally her with a wetsuit in the water. SeaWorld gives the whales things like puzzle toys to solve, balls, barrels, soft things, hard things, seaweed, gelatin in all shapes and sizes, ice and one of their favorites is water sprays/hoses

That is literally the anticap source? Honestly m8. Are they veterinarians working with her every day? No. Can they make proper judgements on a few days of a few hour material footage/seeing her? No. That would be the same as saying John Liar Hargrove is an expert on orca captive welfare and knows what he's talking about, which he isn't.

Lolita is only there for the public for a few times a day, so of course we're not going to see tons of photos of her with enrichment. Does that mean she doesn't get it? No. She literally has the best teeth of all orcas so they're doing something right with enrichment/keeping her active and busy to prevent her from grinding her teeth down to mere nubs.
name's alec. legally an adult and thus paying bills. they/them or he/him pronouns have my preference.
Gypaetus Barbatus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:35 am

I do not debate with people who viciously attack me please stop doing this in a discussion thread thank you
Last edited by Crossflare on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby riddlestyx » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:08 am

Spartan Inna-973 RvB wrote:Lolita is pretty mich 40+ years she didn't start having health issues until she got older.

Having been going to miami seaquarium since I was little I can confirm that ghey fo provide her with entichment she is not on display 24 /7 to keep her less stressed. also shr isnot forced to do tricks like sea world but they do keep her active they have too otherwuse she could become sedentary. shd gets top veterinarian care. I have met the veterinarians for the park they really do care about all the animals, it's jyst that they happen ti have a very old Orca.

what makes me cringr at people who say she is bad condition is when they assume she was always sick. no it's only when she got older did she get sick.
go back to the year where miami sea aquarium fursr got her she was healthy fast foward yo now and it us clear her age us thr reason fot her ailments.

as with most animals health declines as you age, Orcas get old just like people do. Miami aquarium is primarily a marine mammal rescue they do have any animals kn display 24/7 to give their animals a break unlike seaworld.

but they do provide all their animals with enrichment and veterinary care.

i'm sorry, but female orcas do not grow old at 40. there are several wild female killer whales living prosperously in the ocean who are well into their 70s and 80s. the reason for lolita's ailments is that she is treated poorly just like all captive orca because they are not meant to be in captivity. this especially goes for miami sea aquarium, where her tank isn't even deep enough to accommodate her length, and nowhere does it offer any shade from the summer sun, resulting in cracked and bleeding skin. please don't assume they are treating her well because you go to visit often and are told by the aquarium owners/vets that she is healthy (it is their job to promote the alleged wellbeing of their animals, not a single employee there is going to tell you that lolita is suffering because they could lose their job).

edit: ehheuguh,,, i didn't see your edit to your post until after posting this but my point still stands
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Image Image Image
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

| no longer active here |
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
xImage
riddlestyx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:16 am

I do not debate with people who viciously attack me
Last edited by Crossflare on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby laeta » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:25 am

When did they say that Lolita doesn't get vet care? When did they imply that her caretakers don't know she is unwell? Why is your response to a loss of 40 years of natural lifespan simply that "all animals age differently"?
laeta

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby riddlestyx » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:27 am

i know they know she is sick! i never questioned the vet care! i think you are avoiding what i was really trying to get across. the issue is that they still think it's okay to keep killer whales in captivity, and that they got away with keeping her for this long, allowing her suffering to escalate to levels they can't remedy. miami seaquarium should not be heralded as these amazing caretakers who really value their animals, because that is not true. they are using them for profit and only trying to keep them alive so that they can keep getting money from them. and yes animals age differently, but when most orcas in captivity are consistently dying around their 20s while their wild counterparts can live up to their 80s there is something very blatantly wrong.

anyhow, that was just my 2 cents, i do not wish to argue further!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Image Image Image
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

| no longer active here |
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
xImage
riddlestyx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes