Dog Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dawg Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Postby Tipsy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:29 pm

Didn't know how unhealthy my lifestyle was until I had a high energy dog.
I'm was turning into Precious, sleeping all day geez.

Well I have my cousins dog Toto while she is at a funeral. I love him to pieces, I honestly hope my mom will let me get a dog because having him made me SO much happier.
All day I play with him and he never runs out of energy. This morning after practing tricks him and I went down my hill on my skateboard. It was really fun, he ran beside me and wasn't jumping in front. When I rolled to him he just moved over and avoided the board. Then we practiced agility in my yard.
Video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BDhlp2y7JEM
Just a tunnel practicing tomorrow we going to practice more and weave poles.

Just a question, I was trying to teach him to lay down and it nearly impossible. All YouTube videos say lure but he refuses to lure. I'll hold treats to the ground and he sniffs it sits and waits for me to give it to him. I was going to teach him like I taught Precious to sit ( just wait until she sat and give the treat) but he loses interest really quickly and get up and run off.
Wub.

Tipsy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FlynnEugene » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:48 pm

Some pictures of what all we did today!!!! If you are quoting please crop out the pictures.

Anyway, today started off nice. My best friend and I took Izzy, Charlie and her dog Chips to our annual Dog Jog. Basically there is a run and a walk, you can get prizes and all money goes to local shelter. There were hundreds of dogs and people that showed up. Izzy, Charlie and I won a gift card to Pet Pangea which is a local pet shop for " Most Unique Dog Pair" They said that Izzy and Charlie were really cute together. We also ended up 2nd place in the race behind my friend Lea and her two dogs.
After the dog jog we took a trip to go on a nice hike in the woods. Charlie and Izzy really enjoyed themselves!
Then a nice trip to the dog park and got some ice cream now we are resting. It was such a busy day but Izzy loved it!
I needed to spend as much time with her since the next time I would see her will be in 3 weeks.

ℂ𝕦𝕟𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘

𝔸𝕞𝕓𝕚𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕦𝕤

ℝ𝕖𝕤𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕗𝕦𝕝𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤

𝕊𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕕

𝔻𝕖𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕕

"𝒲𝑒 𝒮𝓁𝓎𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝒾𝓃𝓈 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝒷𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒, 𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝓈𝓉𝓊𝓅𝒾𝒹. 𝐹𝑜𝓇 𝒾𝓃𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓃𝒸𝑒, 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝒾𝒸𝑒, 𝓌𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒶𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎𝓈 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝑜𝓈𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝑜𝓌𝓃 𝓃𝑒𝒸𝓀𝓈."
FlynnEugene

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby adelphi prime. » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:24 pm

I just wanted to get this off my chest... I guess...

I currently own a male purebred beagle named Duke. I don't have a favorite breed of dog, and... well, I don't have any great pictures of Duke either.

...but what I really came here to get off my chest was that my best friend's dog had to be put down on Thursday. He was a pit bull named Rocky and probably the sweetest dog ever. He was 10 years old, but still... his death was sudden. I knew him for about three years now, and had gotten into a habit of seeing him every other week at least. Typically once or twice a week... just a week ago he was pulling us up a hill while taking him on a walk. This week? he couldn't walk at all... he died with a ball in his mouth, unwilling to let it go even as he took his last breath.

It's really crushing me... it was shocking to find out today... I don't know how to react or respond. My friend says she doesn't want pity, and I can see why, but at the same time I want to comfort her as much as I can. But the impossible thing is that... well, I'm completely numb right now too...

This is Rocky in his last moments.... RIP Rocky.

Sorry if you read all that but thank you... I mean, I just needed to rant...

Onto lighter news...
Peppercorn wrote:Is their anyway i can convince the rest of my household members to let me have a dog? I have a cat and fish, they should "no no no the dog will scare the cat" but i mean, my cat has scared my neighbours labs and my others husky and terrier. I said that ill get a small breed and teach them to not fight, but then they said "guess what your cat dosent eat fish right? Your dog may eat the cat" and then i ran upstairs and thought "i could be saving a life and changing a mind" -.-

This same friend I was talking about earlier has had two pit bulls and two cats for as long as I can remember. They're pretty much the best of friends... in fact, one of the cats flirts with her still living pit bull... it's pretty funny, actually...
adelphi prime.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satans__lover » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:15 pm

Took some quick pictures of my boy just before. His still a bit out of proportion as his still growing and i didnt do the best angles on these pictures haha!
He has to work on lifting his god danm tail, i cant hold it up for you all the time L! XD
Auctioning off this little guy;
satans__lover

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Frisco » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:56 pm

Tipsy wrote:-snip-
Just a question, I was trying to teach him to lay down and it nearly impossible. All YouTube videos say lure but he refuses to lure. I'll hold treats to the ground and he sniffs it sits and waits for me to give it to him. I was going to teach him like I taught Precious to sit ( just wait until she sat and give the treat) but he loses interest really quickly and get up and run off.

you can try praising your dog when he lies down naturally
carry treats with you at all times (or place them in different parts of the house so you have easy access) and as soon as your dog lies down say yes (or click or whatever) and give him a treat
it takes much longer, but that's another method i know

sup fellow dog owners
i'm considering buying a border collie pup late this year or next year
are there any border collie owners that could tell me a bit about this breed? i'm wondering how much time you spend with them each day on exercise and if it will fit my lifestyle

What a beautiful, beautiful thing
to be able to dream
when you're not asleep.

art by Sixbane
Frisco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:19 pm

sup fellow dog owners
are there any border collie owners that could tell me a bit about this breed? i'm wondering how much time you spend with them each day on exercise and if it will fit my lifestyle

If you tell us a bit about yourself and the type of dog you want Im sure someone here can help. :)
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:53 pm

Concerned about Chloe's hacking I first called the women I rescued her from and then called the vet at 8am and was able to get a 10am apt. I had to get Mom up and she went without breakfast so we could get to the vet on time. (the vet is and hour and a half away) we left the house at ten of nine but amazingly made it there by ten. It was a crappy day (there were snow flurries,I had to put Chloe's winter coat on her and we turned the heater on it was that cold) and a Saturday so there wasn't much traffic.

We arrived to the vet's and saw a new vet (only one there) and she was in a room with an exam table this time. Everyone was wonderfully nice, patient, and helpful. Chloe was a very good girl, though a scared one. She shook on the table a bit but otherwise did really well. Her heart rate was high, obviously, but she didn't hear any problem with that or her lungs. She had a good temperature. Her ears were cruddy with wax, which she let me look at through the scope, so she tested some of it just to be sure. Nothing was wrong with it, thankfully. She said since the hacking was intermittent it didn't signal a hairball or any kind of obstruction. She thought the problem was likely seasonal allergies and prescribed some Benadryl. They also gave me some ear cleaner and the tech showed me how to use it on one ear and watched when I did the other. Chloe was very good about it, especially considering when I did it I spilled some of it on her. :oops: After that she was done and when I started to put her harness back on her she started to wag her tail and was so happy on the way out! She sniffed some people in the lobby and practically everyone she saw there how cute she looked in her winter coat. :)

We were all glad to go home. We stopped and ate, Mom bought Chloe a burger since I hadn't feed her before we left. Chloe loved that! She was so much more calmer on the way home, she had whined and was restless on the way there. She got to walk around outside the restaurant and enjoyed herself. We had to stop to get the Benadryl of which there was very little left on the shelf (tis the season) and when I got back to the car it had gotten very warm. Mom had opened Chloe's coat though she was still panting (could also be a bit of stress cause I left her to go in the store) and I took it off her when I got in. It was so warm I didn't even have to put on the t-shirt I had brought. And that's saying a lot about the temperature change with her being hairless. Crazy weather.

When I got home I called the woman from the rescue. She had called the vet and left a message for Chloe's main vet not realizing Chloe wasn't seeing her nor did the people there realize that the message should probably be passed on to the vet she was seeing. I knew she called the vets, because they told me so, but thought she'd just called to inquire how Chloe was doing. Turns out Chloe did this when they first brought her in to rescue as well. So know I feel even better, confident that seasonal allergies is all that is going on. The woman from the rescue apologized for not getting back to me sooner, and felt bad I had to run all the way to the vet, but when I called one of her dogs was in the middle of a seizure. I was so sorry to hear that, she's already lost two dogs this year. It's not to surprising both were very old and had health problems. She takes in a lot of older and special needs dogs but knowing they have less time doesn't make the hurt any worse of course.

I'm very thankful my little girl is ok. Chloe has already responded well to the Benadryl and is doing well. :)
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Temper » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:43 am

Image ImageImage
This boy is all mine, only if someone from my family flies to Washington to pick him up.
These are old pictures. He's 18 months old now. He has a slight overbite (which is fine, since I have no interest in doing conformation) and is smart with a ton of energy. Crossing my fingers that I'll be able to have him.

.......... Image Krasivi Collies
...........Image Krasivi Trotters
...........Image Krasivi Euphorians
...........Image Krasivi Wolfhounds
...........Image Lone Bashkir Curlies
...........Image Andaluz Sport Horses

....................Image
Temper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tipsy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:31 am

Frisco wrote:you can try praising your dog when he lies down naturally
carry treats with you at all times (or place them in different parts of the house so you have easy access) and as soon as your dog lies down say yes (or click or whatever) and give him a treat

The thing is he never really lays down, he is always up doing something. Only times I seen him lay down is when he has the ball and he runs off and lays down for a quick breath,but if I step towards him he stands and runs off again.
He is extremely fast, and get bored just as fast. So by time I praise him for laying he will be playing with another toy in another room.
Wub.

Tipsy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Frisco » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:54 am

Tipsy wrote:
Frisco wrote:you can try praising your dog when he lies down naturally

The thing is he never really lays down, he is always up doing something. Only times I seen him lay down is when he has the ball and he runs off and lays down for a quick breath,but if I step towards him he stands and runs off again.
He is extremely fast, and get bored just as fast. So by time I praise him for laying he will be playing with another toy in another room.

you might want to train with him a bit more, not lying down, but reacting to the praise whether it's clicker or a word
if it's well trained you won't have to go to your dog to praise him, he will run to you to get the treat or a toy as soon as he hears the sound
then try teaching him with two toys, as soon as he lies down with one of them, praise him and throw the other toy
i'm not a training expert, but that's what i'd do
good luck

Ryuji wrote:
-snip-
This boy is all mine, only if someone from my family flies to Washington to pick him up.
These are old pictures. He's 18 months old now. He has a slight overbite (which is fine, since I have no interest in doing conformation) and is smart with a ton of energy. Crossing my fingers that I'll be able to have him.

he's amazing, remind me so much of a girl i used to take care of when i was a volunteer in a dog pound

Cardinal wrote:

sup fellow dog owners

If you tell us a bit about yourself and the type of dog you want Im sure someone here can help. :)

i don't really need help with picking the breed, just some more info on the breed coming from actual owners like common problems, type of everyday exercise, motivation problems
do you own a bc?

What a beautiful, beautiful thing
to be able to dream
when you're not asleep.

art by Sixbane
Frisco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups