Dog Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dawg Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Postby Imzadi83 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:03 pm

MacGyver wrote:Meeko does not appreciate his ear drops. (I've been put in charge of giving him his daily 4 drops in his ear.)
He's fine with just hands on his face and head, but anything else? He panics. I can't even wipe eye boogers from his eyes in the mornings because it freaks him out. Any type of slight restraint of his head also terrifies him (ie when I'm about to gently hold his head still.) Anyone have any advice on helping him become comfortable with those things?

You'll have to desensitize him slowly. Pair the handling with a treat he likes. Hold his head for a second, mark (with a click or 'Yes') then give him a treat and praise. Raise the criteria slowly. If he's really scared try just reaching for him first and marking and rewarding that. Work on it a couple of minutes several times a day if possible. Keep the sessions short and if he wants to quite let him. Make sure the treat you use is very high value to him.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jazi » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:16 pm

satans__lover wrote:
Dam
Sire
Both such placid natures. Wonderful dogs! He looks a lot like his father. :)

Herp. Apparently sometimes I forget that places like Australia exist. I looked through the website and went "Canadian? But why do NONE of the dogs have their ears cropped??" (it's not uncommon to see docked tail/natural ears with Canadian CHs) Aaaaand then I looked at their about page and oh. Australia. Well. That certainly makes more sense.

Very pretty dogs :) Muse and I both have dobermans, and Cardinal has been aching for one for aaaages, so we're all sort of nerds :B
Jazi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Winter Soldier » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:44 pm

to be honet some dogs just can't be desensitized my poodle hates his ear wash he bares teeth when he sees an ear wash bottle. Docking a dobermans ears isn't all that common if the dogs are pets to be honest if it mutilates a dogs body I don't agree with it. since doing it can really hurt for them. I'm okay with poodles having docked tails but thats only because poodles are docked when they are newborn puppies this allows the tail time to heal and it heals faster because the dogs are young.

I mean it's only for fashion anyway theres no real practical reason to crop a doberman's ears or even their tail not sure if they are born long tails or short tails though.
The Winter Soldier

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satans__lover » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Jazi wrote:
satans__lover wrote:[i][size=85][center]Dam
Sire
Both such placid natures. Wonderful dogs! He looks a lot like his father. :)

Herp. Apparently sometimes I forget that places like Australia exist. I looked through the website and went "Canadian? But why do NONE of the dogs have their ears cropped??" (it's not uncommon to see docked tail/natural ears with Canadian CHs) Aaaaand then I looked at their about page and oh. Australia. Well. That certainly makes more sense.

Very pretty dogs :) Muse and I both have dobermans, and Cardinal has been aching for one for aaaages, so we're all sort of nerds :B

To be completely honest I hate natural ears on dobes -.-
I long to move to USA and have a cropped eared dobe. Sometimes I just sit there and pull his ears up and sigh to myself haha!
Both cropping and docking is illegal here, hence why his imported from NZ as all natural dobes don't stand a chance here in the show ring against docked dogs. Iv been showing dogs for about 3 years now and in all that time I have only ever seen 2 all natural dobes in the ring. I think it's quite stupid actually because some people have very nice dogs but just because they have a tail the judge won't even look at them twice.
I think it's strange because dobes are the only dogs over here who people still get docked. All our boxers have tails expect for a few and same with the rotties. I show my neighbours rotties and hardly any have docked tails and ones with natural tails now do better than without.
[/size][/i][/center]
Auctioning off this little guy;
satans__lover

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Winter Soldier » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:17 pm

docking tails is typically only done when the dogs are puppies as it's highly dangerous to do when they are adults. Docking a dogs tail as an adult is kind of too risky anyway most vets won't dock a dogs ail if they are an adult due to risk.
The Winter Soldier

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satans__lover » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:24 pm

I know that.
As I said before that is why most dogs here are imported from NZ because it is legal there. They fly the bitches over and they have their litter and the pups get docked and fly back at 9 weeks old.
satans__lover

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satans__lover » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:26 pm

Unless you know a vet who will personally dock your litter then you can't get it done here. Even if you do know someone people will question you as you have a dog with a docked tail but it isn't imported.
A friend of mine knew someone who breeds English cockers and she used to purposely shut doors on the pups tails so she had an excuse to get them docked without having to pay importing money. It was horrible.
satans__lover

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Winter Soldier » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:32 pm

theres a right way to do things and wrong way and that my friend is the wrong way O.o i mean shutting a door on an animals tail is worse than just having the tails docked O.o
The Winter Soldier

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satans__lover » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:35 pm

Yes I totally agree but some people just care about the profit they make off their dogs and not about the actual dogs themselfs. I could never bring myself to do something like that.
satans__lover

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:45 pm

In the USA its nearly impossible to get a Doberman from a good breeder uncropped/undocked. I prefer the look and am really glad my breeder will take care of it for me way before my puppy comes home. :)
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes