Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby .Middy. » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Imzadi- It’s mainly for making sure they go fully up I believe.

Yeah I’m not worried lol, she’s still young and yes both parents are pricked. She is 7 weeks in that photo, and it was taken the other day. They already look to be lifting a bit from previous photos, so we shall see! I’ll tape if need be, but I’m sure they will stand. May end up taping to make sure they fully prick like I want, we will see.

And thank you! Black bi is what I was wanting, nearly ended up with her blue Merle sister since my girl was the breeders pick of the litter, but she was more bonded to the merle so I’m getting the black bi! I originally wanted a more traditionally marked black bi, but her markings have quickly grown on me.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xXocea » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Imzadi83 wrote:
.Middy. wrote:She’s a border collie! Hoping those ears go up, if not I’ll have to see about taping them!

I never knew that Border Collie's ever needed their ears taped.

Every time I think of taping I wonder about Chloe's ears since they sort of stand. Did the taping fail or perhaps was it stopped due to the fact the contracted parvo? I often wish she could tell me more about her past.

Most border collie's ears stand on their own. But they aren't at all like that of a German Shepherd's where they stay that way. The BC's ears usually have some bend to them, so they fall down when the dogs relaxed or sleepy, but stand up with they're alert or excited. There's a serious range of movement with them, which I quite enjoy. Makes them look a bit silly!
    I haven't seen people tape their BC's ears, but I do suppose some people who really don't want any flop to the ears could do it, and have it work for them.

As for Chinese Crested's... I no nothing about them. But from what I can tell (from observing photo's) they stand up on their own (Since I've yet to see a full flopped CC, which would indicate it's the natural state of the ear - like Dobermans) but are like BC's and flop a bit. People could tape them to make them stand up without any flop. Or they could just leave them and have the ears stand on their own with a bit of flop.
xXocea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fysha » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:22 pm

I really need to sign up somewhere so I can post pictures so I can show you River's ear transformation. Both of his parents have uppy ears but he has ended up with one up and one down. At 7 weeks he had flopped ears, a month later both ears where up and then each ear would take it's own turn being up or down. I tried hard to leave them be but he has an uppy and a downy ear. Now when he is excited or has had a good chew on a bone they both stay up, though not for long. Part of me want's to tape the downed ear and see if it would stay but I think it might be too late. He's 9.5 months now.

Maya's ears never went up. She has always had floppy ears, or as I call them "airplane" ears, they stick out to the side when excited.
Fysha

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marley.&.Me » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:29 pm

he’s silently judging everyone.
Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Yeah probably too late. Kestrel’s I taped down into button, but didn’t keep it up long enough and ended up with those messy ears.

Also puppy name will probably be different. The breeder isn’t a huge fan of the names I was thinking, and I’m not sold on them either. So not sure what her name will be at the moment lol
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xXocea » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:14 pm

.Middy. wrote:Yeah probably too late. Kestrel’s I taped down into button, but didn’t keep it up long enough and ended up with those messy ears.

Also puppy name will probably be different. The breeder isn’t a huge fan of the names I was thinking, and I’m not sold on them either. So not sure what her name will be at the moment lol

I'm confused. Does the breeder have to approve of what your going to call your dog?
xXocea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .muse. » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Link is either a huge idiot, or thinks he knows parkour and is still a huge idiot for it.
That spot is about 10-12ft up.
I called him back down after I took the photo, assuming he would jump to the second ledge and then down, you know, the same way he went up, because LOGIC.
I was wrong. So very very wrong.
Instead he took a flying leap directly at me like "CATCH ME MOM!"
He barrel rolled as soon as he hit the ground, got up and ran around in circle just happy as could be.
Completely unphased by the literal leap of faith he had taken.
Meanwhile I was standing there having a heart attack thinking he had to have broken several things in the process.
Thankfully he was just a bit muddy and raced around the riverside without a care in the world after.
-_-
How do you teach a dog to have fear of stupid decisions because oh boy does he need a healthy dose of it. XD
Image ~*~ Muse ~ They/Them ~ Adult ~ Nerd ~*~ Image
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
.muse.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:09 pm

RebelliousWinter wrote:
Imzadi83 wrote:
.Middy. wrote:She’s a border collie! Hoping those ears go up, if not I’ll have to see about taping them!

I never knew that Border Collie's ever needed their ears taped.

Every time I think of taping I wonder about Chloe's ears since they sort of stand. Did the taping fail or perhaps was it stopped due to the fact the contracted parvo? I often wish she could tell me more about her past.

Most border collie's ears stand on their own. But they aren't at all like that of a German Shepherd's where they stay that way. The BC's ears usually have some bend to them, so they fall down when the dogs relaxed or sleepy, but stand up with they're alert or excited. There's a serious range of movement with them, which I quite enjoy. Makes them look a bit silly!
    I haven't seen people tape their BC's ears, but I do suppose some people who really don't want any flop to the ears could do it, and have it work for them.

As for Chinese Crested's... I no nothing about them. But from what I can tell (from observing photo's) they stand up on their own (Since I've yet to see a full flopped CC, which would indicate it's the natural state of the ear - like Dobermans) but are like BC's and flop a bit. People could tape them to make them stand up without any flop. Or they could just leave them and have the ears stand on their own with a bit of flop.

From my research I've found Chinese Crested ears will stand up but eventually fall down with the weight of the fur which is why they need to be taped. The breed standard in the US calls for both hairless and powderpuff to have erect ears, but other countries allow for the powderpuff to have natural dropped ears.

I suppose Chloe's could be natural, they just seem mismatched which makes me think about the taping. Chloe's also droop down more or less depending on how I trim her fur.

Here's some photos of what Chloe's ears look like depending on how I've trimmed them...
ImageErinSullivan_Chloe_2 by Gumireland, on Flickr

ImageDSC01360 by Gumireland, on Flickr

ImageDSC01627 by Gumireland, on Flickr

ImageDSC00954 by Gumireland, on Flickr
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ru. » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Congrats Middy!! She is precious! I can't wait to see photos of her as she grows. Do you have a dtrong preference for pricked eared BCs?
Most of the working BCs around where I live have semi pricked/folded ears (sort of button ears I guess), though some have erect ears.

Also, Museatron! I don't have any tips, I just wanted to say that Link is awesome. I've been admiring him hahah! Any more photos?
| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby awakening souls. » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:38 pm

Yay, Middy! Congratulations! I'm very happy for you. c: She looks like such a sweetheart, and I kind of wish she was mine aha. I hope your surgery goes well! The same for recovery. <3

As for the floppy ear thing, she should grow into more perky ears. I've had purebred Border Collies in the past, and they all had halfway-perked ears (pretty much rose ears). They only started developing at like a month, though, which was kind of odd in my opinion, but it will likely be different for your darling girl.

For names, I really do enjoy Peregrine, but if that isn't what you or the breeder are looking for, perhaps other bird names would suit her? Here are just a few that I can think of:

-Raven
-Sparrow
-Phoenix
-Hawk
-Robin
-Wren
-Lark (really love this one)
-Simply Birdie?
-Alouette
-Heron perhaps
-Finch
-Talon

Those are just some suggestions and might not be the greatest/what you're looking for.
awakening souls.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me