Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby blazesong » Wed May 09, 2018 12:07 pm

MoltenRegolith wrote:
Queenie! wrote:
MoltenRegolith wrote:How common is the name “Houdini” for cats? It was the name the shelter had given him and we kept it, but now I’m wonder how original it is.

I haven't met any cats personally that were named Houdini. Even so, if you like the name and you think it suits him, it really doesn't matter how original or unique it is. Just because names like Felix and Boots are common for cats, doesn't mean you shouldn't give those names to a cat, because they're cute names and can be very fitting.

I love his name <3. I’ve actually had him for a good 5-6 years now so I wasn’t going to change it, just wanted to know how common it was. Thank you for replying, though!

i have a houdini and another shelter had a houdini at the same time as the one that had mine (female tho)

i need a new signature

blazesong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~ moth ~ » Wed May 09, 2018 12:15 pm

i think houdini is a pretty interesting name for a cat ,, fitting too. cats are somewhat elusive and sneaky ,, sitting in one spot one moment then in another spot all the way across the room in another moment. they are pretty good escape artists too.

when we first got our first cat his name was calico ... a calico cat named calico. how ... creative. in petco we decided that wouldn't be his name. thus we put our noggins together to come up with the perfect name for the cat we didn't even have yet. we went through marvel names ,, dc names ,, disney names ,, so many tv show names until we got to books. our favorite book series. percy jackson. his name was changed to percy!

╰ ⋯ how the most dangerous thing . • ⊹ ╮

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⋯ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ◂ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⋯⠀⠀⠀ ⠀ ↼╯
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀╰ is to love -

. • adrien - adult - they / he / she - aroace ⋆ ╮

╰ ⋯ how you will heal and rise above . • ⊹

───────────────────────────────────────────
x▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ╮

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⋮

. - • crowned by an overture ↼╯
bold and beyond . • ⋆

╰ ⋯ ah, it’s more courageous to ⋆
▸ — overcome ⊹ .

──────────────────────────

~ moth ~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Wed May 09, 2018 12:43 pm

surrounded by idiots wrote:
      i think houdini is a pretty interesting name for a cat ,, fitting too. cats are somewhat elusive and sneaky ,, sitting in one spot one moment then in another spot all the way across the room in another moment. they are pretty good escape artists too.

when we first got our first cat his name was calico ... a calico cat named calico. how ... creative. in petco we decided that wouldn't be his name. thus we put our noggins together to come up with the perfect name for the cat we didn't even have yet. we went through marvel names ,, dc names ,, disney names ,, so many tv show names until we got to books. our favorite book series. percy jackson. his name was changed to percy!

Honestly if I had found a cat named Calico, I would call him Calico Jack, after the (in)famous pirate! But I love the name Percy too. c:

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~ moth ~ » Wed May 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Queenie! wrote:-- snip--

Honestly if I had found a cat named Calico, I would call him Calico Jack, after the (in)famous pirate! But I love the name Percy too. c:

i don't know who calico jack is.

the name percy suits our boy. while he acts nothing like the book character ,, ours an aloof jerk ,, he is still cuddly at times. but to go along with the percy jackson theme we named our second cat piper after piper mclean from heroes of olympus. we were gonna name her annabeth ,, then calypso ,, then artemis but my mum didn't like the names. though when we got her she was just a month to two months old and as big as my tiny hand ,, so i started to call her tiny cat which evolved into tiny ,, so now that's her name. tiny and percy <3

╰ ⋯ how the most dangerous thing . • ⊹ ╮

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⋯ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ◂ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⋯⠀⠀⠀ ⠀ ↼╯
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀╰ is to love -

. • adrien - adult - they / he / she - aroace ⋆ ╮

╰ ⋯ how you will heal and rise above . • ⊹

───────────────────────────────────────────
x▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ╮

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⋮

. - • crowned by an overture ↼╯
bold and beyond . • ⋆

╰ ⋯ ah, it’s more courageous to ⋆
▸ — overcome ⊹ .

──────────────────────────

~ moth ~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby waterparks. » Wed May 09, 2018 1:07 pm

the weirdest cat name i have ever had was scrambled eggs. i had no part in naming him i believe it was my older sister as
a joke, but the name stuck. for some reason i hated naming pets after food, though there are a lot of cute food named pets such as waffles or cocoa. has anyone else had some weird pet names?
waterparks.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Wed May 09, 2018 1:29 pm

waterparks. wrote:the weirdest cat name i have ever had was scrambled eggs. i had no part in naming him i believe it was my older sister as
a joke, but the name stuck. for some reason i hated naming pets after food, though there are a lot of cute food named pets such as waffles or cocoa. has anyone else had some weird pet names?

Well, these weren't cats, but I did have a ball python named Bumblebee and a corn snake named Blankie (like how little kids say blankie instead of blanket), and a crested gecko that I named Recks (because Rex wasn't original enough lol). As far as cat names go, though, I haven't had any silly weird names, just uniquely weird names. The first cat I ever had was named Cizigi, which is a variant of the word "syzygy", that means "a conjunction of the sun and moon", my aunt came up with it. She was very into astrological things. We also had a cat named Azrael, named after the cat in The Smurfs, but also named for the archangel Azrael. She and Cizigi had kittens, we kept one of them and named him Cazimi, which means "in the heart of the sun", another astrological term.
The cats I currently have don't have names as weird as those, but they're still fairly unique, apart from Pumpkin, who I named solely because she was born close to Halloween. My oldest is Gabrielle, who was named for the archangel Gabriel. And my manx is named Wynnie, which means "pure and fair." I named her as such because, when she was a kitten, she was actually pure white.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby waterparks. » Wed May 09, 2018 1:42 pm

Queenie! wrote:Well, these weren't cats, but I did have a ball python named Bumblebee and a corn snake named Blankie (like how little kids say blankie instead of blanket), and a crested gecko that I named Recks (because Rex wasn't original enough lol). As far as cat names go, though, I haven't had any silly weird names, just uniquely weird names. The first cat I ever had was named Cizigi, which is a variant of the word "syzygy", that means "a conjunction of the sun and moon", my aunt came up with it. She was very into astrological things. We also had a cat named Azrael, named after the cat in The Smurfs, but also named for the archangel Azrael. She and Cizigi had kittens, we kept one of them and named him Cazimi, which means "in the heart of the sun", another astrological term.
The cats I currently have don't have names as weird as those, but they're still fairly unique, apart from Pumpkin, who I named solely because she was born close to Halloween. My oldest is Gabrielle, who was named for the archangel Gabriel. And my manx is named Wynnie, which means "pure and fair." I named her as such because, when she was a kitten, she was actually pure white.

aww i love the ball python names! i have always wanted a large snake but i know nothing about caring for one so i might just have to read up on it and get one in the future. as for the cat names cizigi is so unique i love it, and the meaning is really cool too! the more you know. i also love the kittens name and meaning as well as azrael, since i watched smurfs a lot as a kid.
waterparks.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Wed May 09, 2018 11:51 pm

As for weird names, I've heard of mostly dog names. Bizkit, Haustice, Hannibal, and Chezswaki. For cats, it was mostly shelter names that were odd
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kittger » Fri May 11, 2018 9:23 am

When it comes to weird names, I've seen a few. At an adoption event where I got my current cat, her litter was entirely named after popular shoe brands. My dad and I sensed a definite name change there.
manager at ur local taco bell

Pet's name: Cherry Blossom Image
Kittger

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mew, » Sun May 13, 2018 3:33 am

so uh...
a while ago my nine-year-old cat hurt his paw or something and started limping. my dad was determined to believe it would just heal itself when the vet said she saw nothing wrong but they could take an x-ray, which would be a hundred and eighty dollars.
of course, it faded quite a lot. he'll walk now, and he'll run and jump, but he still limps
also he broke his bottom left tooth (which sticks out) somehow and for a few weeks he just stopped sleeping in my room as if he was afraid to stay in there while I wasn't awake or with him. it's weird because nothing happened in there, though. he just started sleeping in my dad's room, where he spent the first year or two of his life.

now for the important part.
he's had problems with overgrooming in the past. now, I should probably mention that he's terrified of even a tissue coming out of a tissue box. it's quite sad, really. he doesn't like strangers and he gets super stressed really easily. however, nothing recently has changed whatsoever. my life and my dad's have stayed the same for the past year or two. so unless it's something outside, nothing has changed whatsoever- which he almost never does go outside even though he has the option to, and when he does, he only goes out onto the porch for some sun. so he's stressed and scared easily, which I know can cause cats to overgroom.

and now to the problem.
he's overgrooming again. in the past, it's been completely different unrelated things. allergies, fleas, skin conditions... It's never been stress, so I'm fairly sure this isn't the problem, but ever since he got hurt and stopped sleeping in my room (he went back to sleeping in my room about a week ago, might I mention) the chewing, scratching, and licking got worse. he doesn't have fleas; none of our cats do at the moment. yet even as I'm typing this, he's been grooming himself excessively, violently chewing at himself, and scratching spots that have become scabbed up with dried blood because he's scratched and bitten so much. He's getting a bunch of bald spots because of it, too. it worries me because the vets haven't seen anything wrong and I'm wondering if it's just a behavioural thing?
or is there something we're all missing? cats are confusing so... I don't know.
I can't seem to get him to stop.
thoughts?
mew,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me