The Cavy(Guinea Pig) Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: The Cavy(Guinea Pig) Lovers Club

Postby ᴇǫᴜɪɴᴇ » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:11 pm

Hello! I hope you don't mind me joining in :)

I currently have two boars and five sows (separated of course!) and as I've fallen madly in love with them all, I'll probably get a couple more... I was just wondering if you could give me any taming advice? All my piggies are fine with cuddles once I'm handling them, but they all hide when I first approach their enclosure, and it's frustrating trying to catch them, especially as I don't want to stress them out.

Does anyone else keep their piggies outdoors? Or is there anyone from Australia that can guide me in the right direction towards a suitable indoor housing option? I haven't been able to find c and c cages or grids anywhere, and they would be perfect!

I will definitely try to get some photos up as well!

Hi guys, equine here. Not really sure what to say.... I am horse obsessed and proud! If you ever need someone to talk to about anything, my inbox is always open, especially if it's horse-related!
Coding

ᴇǫᴜɪɴᴇ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yetzali » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:14 pm

ᴇǫᴜɪɴᴇ wrote:Hello! I hope you don't mind me joining in :)

I currently have two boars and five sows (separated of course!) and as I've fallen madly in love with them all, I'll probably get a couple more... I was just wondering if you could give me any taming advice? All my piggies are fine with cuddles once I'm handling them, but they all hide when I first approach their enclosure, and it's frustrating trying to catch them, especially as I don't want to stress them out.

Does anyone else keep their piggies outdoors? Or is there anyone from Australia that can guide me in the right direction towards a suitable indoor housing option? I haven't been able to find c and c cages or grids anywhere, and they would be perfect!

I will definitely try to get some photos up as well!

hi !! sorry that this thread isn't very active, but it's nice to meet you !

since guinea pigs are prey animals, they're bound to be at least a little wary. talking to them helps, as you're going to their cages and reaching in for them, so they know that it's you. routines are also pretty good !! they're more comfortable having one. things like being fed should happen around the same time every day, and the same goes for being held c: also an obvious one would be bringing treats to their cages whenever you go to see them, so that they associate you with good food.

i do keep my guinea pigs outdoors most of the time ! when the weather's a little warmer, they have ice bricks that they can use to cool down, though as it gets hot in australia, they come inside when the temperature's rather high.

you can find grids on here!
xImage
sarah
infj
she/they
pm me for dog pictures
yetzali

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _silentsiren_ » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:34 pm

aa how did i just now find this?? i have two pigs of my own who i adore!
I'll have to snag some pictures later but i was wondering if anyone knew of any nice quality cages for like $20?
I have like $28 in my PayPal and i'm looking for something nice for my cavy - as she is expecting soon i'd like to give her plenty of space to stay in.
is there anything relatively cheap that's still nice??

I also looked at the grids that was posted above but I don't know if i can afford them ono"
_silentsiren_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ᴇǫᴜɪɴᴇ » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's a shame this thread is inactive, but you can't force people to post, haha.

I have a routine for their feeding time, but not really a specific time where I handle them, so I will try to figure that out and hopefully it will help! Thanks for the link to the grids as well, but I think I'll keep them outdoors for now and continue to bring them in on hot days (and ask for some grids for my birthday as I'm broke right now).

Here's a photo of one of the sow pups! Does anyone have any names?

Hi guys, equine here. Not really sure what to say.... I am horse obsessed and proud! If you ever need someone to talk to about anything, my inbox is always open, especially if it's horse-related!
Coding

ᴇǫᴜɪɴᴇ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cpt-Red » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:44 am

I am not only a guinea-pig lover, but also a proud owner of a little male,
i had a female extremly adorable who loved to be cuddled, full of affectiion, unfortunately, she passed away, it been 4 years ago.

My love for this animal started before owning my first guinea-pig, i love the look, the colors, the capybara style, but it's also easy to handle, to know what they need.

for exemple, if my little rascal need to eat, he whistle a lot, and frankly, he is not exigeant about what he want.
On a long hiatus, probably not returning.
Cpt-Red

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:18 pm

Hello! I'm Leia, and I don't own a guinea (I have a bunny), but I LOVE them! I believe they are such gentle creatures, who beg for love and attention! <3
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby brindle. » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:11 am

hello guys! i have a 2 1/2 year old guinea pig, and a 3 year old guinea pig c:
      both are super energetic, and love love to eat some lettuce, the 3 year old, nala (yes i named them after the lion king) is scared of toys or anything of bright color, anyway to help her get used to them?

©

Ω▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
┌─────────────────────┐

'ello I'm not going to go by my real
name on here, so just call me alex xx
i ride horses, and own a few
im bisexual and confused about life
i love broadway musicals

└─────────────────────┘
ImageImage
┌─────────────────────┐
link - link - link - link - link - link - link

└─────────────────────┘
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬Ω▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬Ω
┌──────────────┐

farouche / shy
honestly I'm a disappointment
space / tb gelding
cassie / qh x tb mare
mira / warmblood mare
eli / halflinger gelding

└──────────────┘

brindle.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Strange_Atoms » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:01 am

Hallo!
I have two little girls named Hope and Honey.
Hope is a short haired cavy with brown, white and black patches. She is very, very sassy.
Honey is a long haired cavy with cream and white pattern. She is sweet.
I will post picturers later ~
ALL GOOD THINGS FLOW INTO THE CITYImage
Strange_Atoms

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SunnyStreets » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:54 am

Umm..

Hiya.

I own one guinea called Biscuit (or Biscuit Tin XP), she is a ginger mix with a few small crown-ish bits in her fur and she has one white foot. Her friend is called Nibblet No and is owned by my sister.

ermm we don't really have any toys so does anyone have any tips? Do they really need them? <3 and Biscuit seems to be a lot less eager to come out when I open the door while Nibblet comes up and starts eating the food that I've put in for them? I don't know why but is it a problem? I think she's probably a bit shyer as she always goes to hide under my clothes when I get her out for a cuddle?
I have no pictures of either of them but I will get some
xxxx
xxxxImage
━━━━━━━
« they/them »
« iavatar ©i »
« rain frog © »
━━━━━━━

ember/sunny
SunnyStreets

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Strange_Atoms » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:53 am

My Horse Rocks wrote:
Umm..

Hiya.

I own one guinea called Biscuit (or Biscuit Tin XP), she is a ginger mix with a few small crown-ish bits in her fur and she has one white foot. Her friend is called Nibblet No and is owned by my sister.

ermm we don't really have any toys so does anyone have any tips? Do they really need them? <3 and Biscuit seems to be a lot less eager to come out when I open the door while Nibblet comes up and starts eating the food that I've put in for them? I don't know why but is it a problem? I think she's probably a bit shyer as she always goes to hide under my clothes when I get her out for a cuddle?
I have no pictures of either of them but I will get some

My two babies have these small wooden blocks from the pet store that they chew on. They don't miss them really, but it helps there teeth and gives them something to do. :)
ALL GOOD THINGS FLOW INTO THE CITYImage
Strange_Atoms

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me