* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby SOUP! » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:42 am

Pyjaks wrote:Hey welcome :D It does sound like they're warming up to you which is awesome. I'd give them a few more days before you try anything else though. I'd just keep sitting next to them, talking softly, that sort of thing so they can continue to get used to your presence :> I'm glad they're adjusting so quickly!

That's lovely! Thank you so much :D
brb, playing smash.
SOUP!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zaz » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:18 am

Jellie-kins wrote:
kitana. wrote:
    of course not! ask away haha

Ah, thanks so much c:
So I've just gotten my birds yesterday, and of course as expected their kind of nervous in their new home. I've been trying to interact with them by standing by their cage and repeating words in a certain way, I've also just been poking my finger through but that's all. But ever since earlier today whenever I walk by their cage, they always seem to be stretching their wings, ruffle their feathers or yawn. They also have been giving me more eye contact and movement rather than just stand stiff in one position. Is this a sign that they are warming up to my company? And how soon should I start taking bigger steps?

I'd recommend just talking to them and being near them for now. Also, if you can, leave their cage door open. This will earn you their trust. And make sure that the cage is in a place you visit often, and if it isn't, spend a lot of time in that area for now!
zaz ♦ she/they ♦ <3

buttermilks
ImageImageImage
zaz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SOUP! » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:43 am

kitana. wrote:
Jellie-kins wrote:
kitana. wrote:
    of course not! ask away haha

Ah, thanks so much c:
So I've just gotten my birds yesterday, and of course as expected their kind of nervous in their new home. I've been trying to interact with them by standing by their cage and repeating words in a certain way, I've also just been poking my finger through but that's all. But ever since earlier today whenever I walk by their cage, they always seem to be stretching their wings, ruffle their feathers or yawn. They also have been giving me more eye contact and movement rather than just stand stiff in one position. Is this a sign that they are warming up to my company? And how soon should I start taking bigger steps?

I'd recommend just talking to them and being near them for now. Also, if you can, leave their cage door open. This will earn you their trust. And make sure that the cage is in a place you visit often, and if it isn't, spend a lot of time in that area for now!

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it so much <3
brb, playing smash.
SOUP!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woospuss » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:38 pm

My budgie Frosty is very good at imitating bird calls, she can't talk but can do a very good Eastern Rosella call. The other day I was driving with the birds in their cage to work and Frosty often chirps as she likes the sound of the car. Every so often though I would hear a cockatiel noise but it was much too quite for it to be my cockateil Storm.... Turns out Frosty has managed to learn Storms calls and now lets one out every so often!
woospuss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby alpraz0lam » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:06 am

Luzien wrote:
ευρнσяια wrote:
Blackiie wrote:
i right now did write out what you could do when going to emergency vet...but then i id read the last part again...
but when i did see it right...she is ..gone?
im very sorry....
nice that you did help her calm down till the end

did your vet test her, why she was so sick? was it the cage or even the food, or did she have some unknown sickness? because she was really young

Thanks for all the kindness everyone~

Yes, our avian vet is almost certain she got heavy metal poisoning from too much traces of something,
i forget,
in her food.

I'll be sure to never buy that again.

Anyway,
I'm certainly looking for another bird, although not straight away.

Does anyone have any suggestions of breeds?
I'm definitely interested in caiques, conures and senegals.
I looked into african greys, too, but i'm not too sure on their temperament?
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
Mel
20 years old
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
alpraz0lam

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby emjayy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:22 am

I recommend a grey if you have a lot of time to spend with them, if not, get a caique! They are the happiest little birdies ever! I love my grey but I’m back in uni now and I feel so guilty cause she’s started plucking again 😭

roses, reasons, gay best friend.
♡ art by the clockwork cat
♡ complete item collection - 29/12/19
♡ complete pet collection - 09/01/20 (lol help i'm missing recents)
emjayy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby alpraz0lam » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:19 am

I've been doing a lot of research for
a good few hours,
and i've gotten myself immersed in amazons.
Perhaps someone knows if it would be a good idea to get one?
I'm certainly looking for a companion bird, one i could spend a lot of time with.
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
Mel
20 years old
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
alpraz0lam

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MapleNeko » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:26 am

ευρнσяια wrote:
I've been doing a lot of research for
a good few hours,
and i've gotten myself immersed in amazons.
Perhaps someone knows if it would be a good idea to get one?
I'm certainly looking for a companion bird, one i could spend a lot of time with.

I have a young Double Yellow Headed Amazon, he's about 2 1/2 now. When it comes to easy to read birds amazons are your go to, you always know exactly what they're thinking their like an open book. They're not super cuddly but enjoy a goof scritch a couple of times a day. He's really independent and happy to stay on his stand and play with his toys but he also loves to sit on my shoulder when im working on university work and preen and chatter. They have fantastic personalities but i hear sexual maturity hits them hard so were all on our tippy toes for when it hits in our household. Otherwise, he's been absolutely fantastic and a super awesome fid. Watch out for that beak though! I read him wrong one day and tried to give him a kiss and ended up with a free lip piercing. We have a galah as well but i definitely wouldn't recommend them unless your willing to spend and extreamly large abount of time with a very bi-polar critter. hes a blessing and we love him to bits but he drives us bonkers as well.

I recommend amazons for their personality, independence, and their occasional neediness. Another fantastic bird would be a cauque, we dont have one but i've met a few and have yet to meet one i dont like, their fantastic birds.

╔════════════════════════════════╗
▰▰ My WME Herd ▰▰
Click us!
ImageImageImageImage

Hey there! my names Mapleneko and im your typical Uni student <3 I absolutely adore animals with anything aquatic, feathered or feline being my favorite! I'm an Axolotl mom and breeder so please feel free to msg me if you want to know more about the silly critters.
Entomology Minor (bugs are life)
the anime is Akatsuki no Yona btw!

╚═══════════════════════════════╝
MapleNeko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby alpraz0lam » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:14 am

- Removed -
Last edited by Ethulai on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not ask for medical advice on our forums, call a veterinarian or bird rescue.
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
Mel
20 years old
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
alpraz0lam

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby frostykitty » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:23 am

I'd say a rehabilitation center, if it's wild.

Speaking of wings, long time no post, but my little budgie Quibly grew out all of his flight feathers and had been doing laps all around. He started to run into the walls though, so I just clipped them last night. When his wings were grown out he seemed pretty... anti-social? He was also a lot more screamy. Not chirping, screaming. And just a few minutes after we clipped them he was so much quieter and more social with us. I do want him to be able to fly, but does anyone know if that's how they always act when flighted?
frostykitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me