* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby zaz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:09 pm

sidenote: does anybody here have experience with parrotlets? are they friendly birds/do they have a lot of personality??

personally, I would start with one bird. that way you have time to bond with it. just remember: birds are very social animals and require TONS of attention. if it isn’t given to them they may resent you. this is even true with parakeets. they also need a lot of time out of the cage, and you should also make sure your cage dimensions are right for the size of your bird!

the second thing you need to think about is where you’re gonna get your bird from. personally, I would check sites like Craigslist first before you think about buying one from a store, this way you know where the bird is coming from. generally at pet stores they only feed the birds seed, which is very unhealthy for them and doesn’t provide them with the right nutrients. once a bird has already been eating seed it’s very difficult to get them to switch. secondly, you have no idea where these birds are coming from and how much they’ve been handled (which is not much most likely) which can cause the bird to be aggressive towards you. if you get a bird that is aggressive towards you, don’t give up.
    slowly become friends with it.
    my process for taking a bird would be:
    - having the cage in a place you are often
    - leave the cage open so it can walk around if it wants and this can also give it your trust because now it knows you aren’t going to lock it in a cage
    - talk to it !!

and slowly it’ll become your best friend. :)
zaz ♦ she/they ♦ <3

buttermilks
ImageImageImage
zaz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby birbmememaster24 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:30 pm

kitana. wrote:
    sidenote: does anybody here have experience with parrotlets? are they friendly birds/do they have a lot of personality??

personally, I would start with one bird. that way you have time to bond with it. just remember: birds are very social animals and require TONS of attention. if it isn’t given to them they may resent you. this is even true with parakeets. they also need a lot of time out of the cage, and you should also make sure your cage dimensions are right for the size of your bird!

the second thing you need to think about is where you’re gonna get your bird from. personally, I would check sites like Craigslist first before you think about buying one from a store, this way you know where the bird is coming from. generally at pet stores they only feed the birds seed, which is very unhealthy for them and doesn’t provide them with the right nutrients. once a bird has already been eating seed it’s very difficult to get them to switch. secondly, you have no idea where these birds are coming from and how much they’ve been handled (which is not much most likely) which can cause the bird to be aggressive towards you. if you get a bird that is aggressive towards you, don’t give up.
    slowly become friends with it.
    my process for taking a bird would be:
    - having the cage in a place you are often
    - leave the cage open so it can walk around if it wants and this can also give it your trust because now it knows you aren’t going to lock it in a cage
    - talk to it !!

and slowly it’ll become your best friend. :)

we have a local pet shop that i know sell birds, but i will check on craigslist! Would my room be a good place for the cage? My family wouldn't want it really anywhere else, and i spend almost all my time in my own room when im home, or would that be too much time around me?

I hope someday my sadness will be replaced by something beautiful
    Matthew ♡ Bisexual ♡ He/Him c

Image Image Image
birbmememaster24

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zaz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:44 pm

with birds, I don’t really think there is such thing as having too much time around you.
    as long as your room is the right conditions (aka its not a basement) and you’re okay with a mess because birds literally throw their food everywhere, it should be fine.
zaz ♦ she/they ♦ <3

buttermilks
ImageImageImage
zaz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby birbmememaster24 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:58 pm

kitana. wrote:
    with birds, I don’t really think there is such thing as having too much time around you.
    as long as your room is the right conditions (aka its not a basement) and you’re okay with a mess because birds literally throw their food everywhere, it should be fine.

oh messed are fine and my room is well lit throughout the day because of the angle of the furniture around the window

thanks for clarifying

Image Image Image
birbmememaster24

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:03 am

juliebean223 wrote:
kitana. wrote:

oh messed are fine and my room is well lit throughout the day because of the angle of the furniture around the window

thanks for clarifying

the room where you sleep in???
not good, birds need to sleep 8-12h undisturbed, they need warmth and enough sun light..most love to sun bath with open windows, but not to much, directly under or infront the window is not good to much away from it is not good, most put the cage next too it or part of it infront of the winow, they need lots of fresh air but not to much( like sitting in direct draft) , then the cage you need for them takes away lots of space in your room as you cant take a small one when bird is inside it nearly all day, when you are away and the poor thing has no partner it will stay alone in your room for hours, not good, maybe a room where someone of your family is over the day, or sun room are bether or such, where there are people most of the time but the birds still get enough peace and calm moment....
there are interesting pages online where you can read up on how-where to Keep your birds and so on^^

and the feather dust is not healthy, even more so in your room where you sleep...outside or in any other room (ok never bath or kitchen or under the stairs or in a small drafty dark room..) it is not so when you clean up each day and water spray bottle use on the bird...
and change the toys out every week forthe birds fun^^ (dont need to always buy new ones, it is to make the cage look different and interesting, but clean the toys after taking them out and storing them away for later use)

and please dont get only one bird, but always two birds!!! it is much more healthy for the poor things!! :!:
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby birbmememaster24 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:39 am

im just gonna uh leave this here to make your lives better

Image Image Image
birbmememaster24

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HorseLover! » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:02 am

Username: HorseLover!
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): Atm I have 1 cockatiel named Sweetcorn and 1 hahns macaw makes Solo but it changes regularly as I work with a charity :-)
How long have you had them?: both a few months
What brings you to the bird chat?: I just like being with people to also have birds!
HorseLover!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:27 am

juliebean223 wrote:Image

This is great
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby birbmememaster24 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:57 pm

MoonfallTheFox wrote:
juliebean223 wrote:Image

This is great

heathers the musical but birds

Image Image Image
birbmememaster24

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Samstery » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:42 am

Username: Samstery
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): A cockatiel
How long have you had them?: around 3 weeks
What brings you to the bird chat?: To get help on birds and talk about them.
(((scritch)))
Samstery

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me