Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Zaranora » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on finding a missing cat?
I've already called all my local vets, animal shelters, humane society, and rescues, I put up and handed out flyers plus posted on social media and still nothing. I live in an apartment complex and putting his litter box outside as a friend of mine suggested won't work due to my neighbors and building management. I could use any help I can get. He's my baby and I don't know what to do without him.
Zaranora

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:06 am

Zaranora wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on finding a missing cat?
I've already called all my local vets, animal shelters, humane society, and rescues, I put up and handed out flyers plus posted on social media and still nothing. I live in an apartment complex and putting his litter box outside as a friend of mine suggested won't work due to my neighbors and building management. I could use any help I can get. He's my baby and I don't know what to do without him.

You could try leaving something he could recognize by scent outside. (Maybe a bit further from your apartment complex, but still in a place you can watch over) Like a blanket he'd sleep on or something. As well as some food and water. If he's not an outside cat, it's likely he's just hiding somewhere due to how overwhelming a whole new place can be, so if he smells something familiar, it could help him find his way back.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby astrohund » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:15 am

(I don't know if I posted here already)

I have a ginger male named Atlas and we adopted him from South Carolina. He was only about four months when we got him and was really, really skinny; you could see his ribs and spine. We, me and my grandma plus my sister, had went to South Carolina originally to go see some relatives and spend the weekend with them. The next day after we got there, that's when we noticed this kitten in their yard, it was laying down in the bushes and me and my cousin had went to go get a closer look. The kitten was very friendly and eventually my cousin said that it was her brother's cat-- well, it wasn't actually his cat he just took care of it and it stayed outside where it could run free.

We fed the cat and watched it for a while and eventually it was time for me and my sister to leave to go back home. My grandma decided on staying for the rest of the month and coming back later. When she came back, I went outside to help her out and that's when I found the kitten in the car on the seat, just looking at me. I was so happy to see it again and my grandma decided to keep it for a pet. We changed it's name to Atlas, but it's original name was Taz.

I still have Atlas right now but he isn't the same as he was when we got him, he's more meaner. He's about eight or one year old, and does this aggressiveness have anything to do with him not being neutered? He goes outside every day to run around in the yard and sometimes he goes over the fence, but he comes back. But I think he doesn't like me as much, any way to make him more friendlier?
ImageImage
he/him
im just here to be entertained
𓃠 my gallery 𓃠
astrohund

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:08 am

✨Moon✨ wrote:(I don't know if I posted here already)

I have a ginger male named Atlas and we adopted him from South Carolina. He was only about four months when we got him and was really, really skinny; you could see his ribs and spine. We, me and my grandma plus my sister, had went to South Carolina originally to go see some relatives and spend the weekend with them. The next day after we got there, that's when we noticed this kitten in their yard, it was laying down in the bushes and me and my cousin had went to go get a closer look. The kitten was very friendly and eventually my cousin said that it was her brother's cat-- well, it wasn't actually his cat he just took care of it and it stayed outside where it could run free.

We fed the cat and watched it for a while and eventually it was time for me and my sister to leave to go back home. My grandma decided on staying for the rest of the month and coming back later. When she came back, I went outside to help her out and that's when I found the kitten in the car on the seat, just looking at me. I was so happy to see it again and my grandma decided to keep it for a pet. We changed it's name to Atlas, but it's original name was Taz.

I still have Atlas right now but he isn't the same as he was when we got him, he's more meaner. He's about eight or one year old, and does this aggressiveness have anything to do with him not being neutered? He goes outside every day to run around in the yard and sometimes he goes over the fence, but he comes back. But I think he doesn't like me as much, any way to make him more friendlier?

Each cat has a personality of their own, so whenever you take in a young cat, you can never guess what they are going to grow up like.

Neutering is said to make them calmer, though. And a lot of time around humans should help a bit too. So definitely interact with him and play with him and whatnot. I think it's normal for cats that age (around 1 year old) to be very active and attack everything that moves. Both of mine were/are the same. So try to take his anger out on some toys or a scratching pole.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby non » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:43 am

I agree with cataclasm on this one.
Guys, me and my sister and our family are getting a sweet 8-month old kitten tomorrow. (Be prepared for pictures!) but we don't know what to name her. She's tuxedo with green eyes but she has more white than black on her body. Do you have any name ideas? She has eyes like little green moons and white back legs but black legs and white feet on her back end.
non

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby astrohund » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:55 am

Cataclasm wrote:

Each cat has a personality of their own, so whenever you take in a young cat, you can never guess what they are going to grow up like.

Neutering is said to make them calmer, though. And a lot of time around humans should help a bit too. So definitely interact with him and play with him and whatnot. I think it's normal for cats that age (around 1 year old) to be very active and attack everything that moves. Both of mine were/are the same. So try to take his anger out on some toys or a scratching pole.

Alright, I'll try to play and spend more time with him often. It's just that I don't go over my grandma's that much, so that's why I haven't been with him that much.
ImageImage
he/him
𓃠 my gallery 𓃠
astrohund

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby astrohund » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:57 am

non wrote:I agree with cataclasm on this one.
Guys, me and my sister and our family are getting a sweet 8-month old kitten tomorrow. (Be prepared for pictures!) but we don't know what to name her. She's tuxedo with green eyes but she has more white than black on her body. Do you have any name ideas? She has eyes like little green moons and white back legs but black legs and white feet on her back end.

How about Patches?
Alice?
Lucy?
Missy?

Those are some of my favorite names for cats.
ImageImage
he/him
𓃠 my gallery 𓃠
astrohund

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Delta Dawn » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:30 am

non wrote:I agree with cataclasm on this one.

I would suggest Tillie (or Tilly, spelling isn't important) or Tipsie (again, Tipsy if you wish).

hey, i'm dawn!
they/them | young adult
trade thread

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Delta Dawn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lunarsnow » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:44 am

Since he's still intact and goes outdoors he may be having some territorial disputes with other toms and that could be making his temper shorter. When all the queens go into heat that's sure to drive him crazy too. Getting him neutered could chill him out a bit as his system won't be flooded with all that testosterone but it's not a guaranteed solution since sometimes cats keep their pre-neutered habits.

I second Cataclasm's suggestion of playing and whatnot. He's could just have a ton of excess energy that he doesn't know how to deal with. Though I would recommend getting him neutered anyways since he goes outdoors and has a chance to be the father to many many unwanted kittens.

✨Moon✨ wrote:Alright, I'll try to play and spend more time with him often. It's just that I don't go over my grandma's that much, so that's why I haven't been with him that much.

If you don't/didn't go over to your grandma's regularly, as he grew up he may have gotten used to just your grandma and whoever else lives there. If he's not aggressive towards your grandma he may distrust strangers and perhaps even forgot you depending on how often you visit him.

Just remember not to force interaction as that could have the opposite effect of what you're aiming for. You could try pretending he's a new cat that doesn't know you at all so you can try to rebuild your relationship. Respect his boundaries and signals and he should warm back up to you in time!
Random cat spotlight <3
Lunarsnow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lameloserlexi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, sooooo.

Two cats that had a litter of kittens, Picasso and Cuddles. Picasso had them a month ago is now also nursing the other litter because Cuddles was hissing at her kittens. PICASSO, MOMMA OF THE YEAR.
"I hope that I'm the reason that you can't sleep
I hope that your whole life sucks without me"

Working 2-10:30pm EST M-F, please bare with me!
CaCPokéFarmWarriors RpDog pack rp
lameloserlexi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me